Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

computer should be properly working now at all times after getting it repaired with a week of applecare left which was one of the things hindering updates in recent weeks.

next official new japan show is the traditional end of year korakuen doubleshot on the 22nd and 24th. there is however a TAKATaichi ppv on monday if you're interested featuring a Shingo vs. Taichi match for the KOPW and hiromu vs. TAKA. given that it's announced as the last show and the upcoming end of suzuki-gun might be worth a check if you usually skip those. main events of those cards have often been outstanding.

Road to TOKYO DOME
December 22nd at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

Kosei Fujita vs. Francesco Akira
Yuto Nakashima vs. Aaron Henare
Ryohei Oiwa vs. Great-O-Khan
Oskar Leube vs. Jeff Cobb
Togi Makabe, Satoshi Kojima, and Shota Umino vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, Shingo Takagi, and SANADA)
Tomoaki Honma and Ren Narita vs. Dangerous Tekkers
4 Way Tag:6 or 9 vs. Suzuki-gun (Desperado and Kanemaru) vs. L.I.J (Hiromu and BUSHI vs. Bullet Club (Ishimori and Gedo)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and YOH) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, and DOUKI)

Road to TOKYO DOME
December 23rd at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

Yuto Nakashima and Oskar Leube vs. House of Torture (Yujiro Takahashi and SHO)
Ryohei Oiwa and Kosei Fujita vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano)
GBH, Narita, and TMIV vs. United Empire (Cobb, O-Khan, and Catch 2/2)
L.I.J (Shingo Takagi and Hiromu Takahashi) vs. House of Torture (EVIL and Dick Togo)
TenCozy vs. Bishamon
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shota Umino and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI)
Kazuchika Okada, YOH, and Master Wato vs. Bullet Club (Taiji Ishimori, El Phantasmo, and Gedo)
Suzuki-gun Final Match:Suzuki, Archer, Despe, and TAKA vs. ZSJ, Taichi, Kanemaru, and DOUKI

WRESTLE KINGDOM 17
January 4th at 3:00 EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST for main card
TOKYO DOME

Preshow-90 minutes before gong

3 minute Time Limit exhibition:Ryohei Oiwa vs. Oleg Boltin
New Japan Rambo for the KOPW 2023 Right to Challenge
Antonio Inoki Memorial 6 man Tag: (40 minutes before gong) - Togi Makabe, Satoshi Kojima, and Yuji Nagata vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Minoru Suzuki, and Tiger Mask

Main Card

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Championship: Catch 2/2 (c) vs. CHAOS (YOH and Lio Rush) (Super Jr. Tag League Winners)
IWGP Women's Championship:KAIRI (c) vs. Tam Nakano
IWGP Tag Champsionship:FTR (c) vs. Bishamon
NJPW World TV Championship Tournament Final:Ren Narita vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
NEVER Openweight Championship:"The Machinegun" Karl Anderson(c) vs. Tama Tonga
Keiji Mutoh Final NJPW Match:Keiji Mutoh, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and Shota Umino vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI)
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship 4 Way:Taiji Ishimori(c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Desperado vs. Master Wato
IWGP US Heavyweight Championship:Will Ospreay(c) vs Kenny Omega
IWGP World Heavyweight Championship:Jay White(c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

Tonight's STRONG:

DETONATION
December 17th at 20:00 EST/December 18th at 1:00 GMT/10:00 JST
The Vermont Hollywood

Jakob Austin Young vs. BATEMAN
Bad Dude Tito vs. KENTA
STRONG Openwight Tag Championship:MCMG(c) vs. Stray Dog Army (Misterioso and Barrett Brown

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Loved both nights of Wrestle Kingdom, can't wait for the NOAH co-event :hellyeah:

Okada back at close to full power is reminding me just how loving incredible he is, and gives me hope that things are getting closer to normalcy.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Bit of a flat Wrestle Kingdom to be honest. The two main events were great but I wasn’t as into the US title match as most others. Didn’t really flow. Looking forward to seeing how they go forward. They really need the visas opening up

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Naitoooo~

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Bit of a flat Wrestle Kingdom to be honest. The two main events were great but I wasn’t as into the US title match as most others. Didn’t really flow. Looking forward to seeing how they go forward. They really need the visas opening up

would've been a great one day show and i hope them running dontaku as a single shot in a dome may be a sign they'll go back to that.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/issitamarie/status/1478683724737048576?s=21

KENTA seems to be ok

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DID YOU KNOW...That these 2 shows were CIMA's first New Japan appearances since 2009? And before those 2 shows his only other New Japan match was a 2000 match in the Crazy Max days.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

KENTA seems to be ok

He better be, he's tagging with Sugiura-gun on Saturday

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Who's calling the English on Saturday? Kevin and Chris or the NOAH lads?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Who's calling the English on Saturday? Kevin and Chris or the NOAH lads?

Kevin and Chris. Weird choice given the NOAH boys are in the country. Could have done something like Stewart and Chris

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kevin and Chris. Weird choice given the NOAH boys are in the country. Could have done something like Stewart and Chris

I wondered if they might even alternate or do a 4 man booth.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shame, Fulton and Pickering have really grown on me since they started doing NOAH shows, they actually seem like they care about people that aren't Sakuraba now.

Stewart on pbp, Chris and Mark doing color for each promotion would be my ideal, I guess Bushiroad think it's too british a lineup for American audiences

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

glad to hear

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

for real i cant stop thinking about him adjusting the screws or whatever on the ladder midmatch. almost doesnt seem real

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Stewart and Pickering will be doing commentary for the Wrestle Universe VOD, which goes up like a week after the PPV.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

one advantage of the universe feed if you’re watching on demand later and have access to both as they’re less likely to mute themes

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
sanshiro takagi stays winning.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I haven't watched WK yet; what belt(s) did Okada hold up after the win? Hopefully not the new one, right...RIGHT???

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

I haven't watched WK yet; what belt(s) did Okada hold up after the win? Hopefully not the new one, right...RIGHT???

Day one he bowed to the old belt and put the new one on his waist. Day two the old belt was nowhere to be seen.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

a cyborg mug posted:

Day one he bowed to the old belt and put the new one on his waist. Day two the old belt was nowhere to be seen.

Man poo poo

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd completely forgot safety KENTA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Man poo poo

While I'll miss the old belt, Okada made a big point of bypassing the new one to go to it first, bowed to it, held it up and showed it to all four sides of the crowd, then explained that in his mind it was necessary to show the old belt respect and give it the best send-off possible at New Japan's biggest show before he could accept the new belt. I really dug that.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I really hope the NJPW vs NOAH show is super great and I go back to being excited to watch New Japan again. Wasn't a huge fan of either WK show as a whole this year. Okada vs Shingo was great as well as the Stardom show case on night two. A lot of the issue is the clap crowds but yeah.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
2022 is DOUKI’s year

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Today I learned Bryan Alvarez pronounces DOUKI like ”dookie” and that made me happy

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jerusalem posted:

While I'll miss the old belt, Okada made a big point of bypassing the new one to go to it first, bowed to it, held it up and showed it to all four sides of the crowd, then explained that in his mind it was necessary to show the old belt respect and give it the best send-off possible at New Japan's biggest show before he could accept the new belt. I really dug that.
It was a good gesture but guy didn't even follow through with his heeling when he brought the old belt instead of the briefcase after winning the G1. I really wish he'd lean more into his arrogance because Okada really hasn't been doing it for me since the pandemic.

On that note, is it just me or did Tana come off heel-like in his match with KENTA? He wasn't all happy Ace after winning.

Also I still can't get over the NOAH roster coming out to Keiji Mutoh's music lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Home grown NOAH star, 4 time IWGP champion, Keiji Mutoh :v:

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Seams posted:

2022 is DOUKI’s year

Hell yeah

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lily Catts posted:

Also I still can't get over the NOAH roster coming out to Keiji Mutoh's music lol

I was comforted somewhat by getting Kenoh's music after his promo, I was half expecting a 30 man Kongoh pose in the ring

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Seams posted:

2022 is DOUKI’s year

2023 is :wato:'s year

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How loving impotent is Ospreay's stable, holy gently caress LMAO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

On that note, is it just me or did Tana come off heel-like in his match with KENTA? He wasn't all happy Ace after winning.

Tana's always been amazing at knowing when to shift to heel in matches, and part of the appeal (for me) of this match was that Tanahashi has gone on record in the past about disliking "garbage" wrestling with weapon spots etc, so I like to think the idea was that he did what he had to do to finally shut that fucker KENTA up but he's kinda pissed off at himself for it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

SamuraiFoochs posted:

yeah they’re a bunch of losers. I like Cobb and GoK and Henare and Ospreay is a great wrestler but they’re objectively a bunch of losers

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is what happens when you add TJP to your group.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Heels losing at the big blow off event isn't really a big deal. Ospreay was only champ a few months ago and will be champ again. Probably next time as a face

The pandemic has hurt them a lot tbh. They've had no junior at all (yeah tjp has his problems but I'll bet at least 1 dollar au he does well in the spot within japan), Aussie open also can't get in currently

But outside of that cobbo beat everyone but okada in the g1 and ospreay was champion.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 6, 2022

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Cobb has been booked as a choker because he can't win where it counts. I didn't like his match with Naito very much, though, a lot of the signature Naito spots looked awkward because of Cobb's size, didn't feel like they gelled very well. I'll give it a rewatch though.

I actually liked the O-Khan/SANADA match a lot. O-Khan outwrestled SANADA in every aspect, and the crowd broke COVID cheering restrictions when he did a moonsault on SANADA... the problem was that he lost because of his own vanity. He kept trying to upstage SANADA in his own style and that cost him the match in the end.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Wonder if the success of the NJPW/Noah show will convince New Japan to bring in more people from other Japanese promotions until the border restrictions are lifted.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

all accounts have said that ohbari is much more inclined to work with other promotions than harold was. more crossover shows are rumored for this year and they booked CIMA at the dome

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

More crossovers will help but probably the biggest thing they can do is stop spreading matches across so many cards. Probably should maybe be only running 1-2 big shows per tour instead of trying to do the big matches over 3-4 shows and just have the rest be filler multi mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

More crossovers will help but probably the biggest thing they can do is stop spreading matches across so many cards. Probably should maybe be only running 1-2 big shows per tour instead of trying to do the big matches over 3-4 shows and just have the rest be filler multi mans

I was really happy to see that Dontaku is back to one show and Dominion not being surrounded by stadium shows like they planned to last year so those should be stronger shows, especially given they're doing the Fukuoka Dome for Dontaku and that's even bigger than the Tokyo Dome. The two nights in the Budokan being split between the Anniversary Show and night one of the New Japan Cup also gives me hope that Anniversary is gonna be a good show.

Thauros posted:

all accounts have said that ohbari is much more inclined to work with other promotions than harold was. more crossover shows are rumored for this year and they booked CIMA at the dome

They're also working with AJPW for the Korakuen 60th Anniversary show and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't send some help for AJPW's 50th Anniversary Show in the Budokan.