Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

SatoshiMiwa posted:

More crossovers will help but probably the biggest thing they can do is stop spreading matches across so many cards. Probably should maybe be only running 1-2 big shows per tour instead of trying to do the big matches over 3-4 shows and just have the rest be filler multi mans

I think the massive positive reaction both internationally and domestically the card for power struggle got will hopefully encourage this

By far the biggest issue with njpw was this blatant gate chasing during the pandemic. I took power struggle as a positive sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the spread out cards with just 1-2 top matches on top did an amazing job to accentuate the negatives and hide the positives. While I doubt it'd be good the Evil/Dick Togo Bull poo poo would be less annoying if it was just one match on a deep card but when it's in one of the only 2 big matches it just makes it even more awful. I think if you merge like most of the summer and fall cards in one big show instead of 2-3 spread out shows New Japan's year probably would of felt better than what we got

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1478924289470521345?t=pxLtH1EDnzakIzoVYFqP0A&s=19

Robbie has some looks

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Dave confirming that Shibata went into business for himself. King poo poo. Apparently backstage was freaking out during it lol

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Dave confirming that Shibata went into business for himself. King poo poo. Apparently backstage was freaking out during it lol

I hope he at least told Ren lmao

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if that's true give him the book

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
WK16 night 1 and 2 ruled.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

WK16 night 2 ruled.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stall_19 posted:

No loving way lmao. That's actually insane holy poo poo.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Stall_19 posted:

Shibata is the greatest wrestler of his generation and you can’t convince me otherwise

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I legit didn't see Robbie standing there at first glance because his clothes and hair blend so well into the background colors.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dave (and everyone else) got worked

quote:

We've got tons of news and notes coming out of the first two nights of Wrestle Kingdom from the Tokyo Dome.

Contrary to reports that Katsuyori Shibata "went into business for himself" by changing the rules of his match, one wrestler on the roster flat out laughed that off, saying that there is no way that would ever happen, calling it "a complete work". Initially, everyone was caught off guard, like previous Shibata angles. Similar to those previous steps of Shibata's return, the details of this angle were kept to a small inner circle of Shibata, opponent Ren Narita, Gedo, Jado, Dick Togo, referee Marty Asami, and a few other office personnel. New Japan is selling the idea that Shibata changed the rules on his own, including feeding that version of the story to the Japanese magazines, to make Shibata come across as tough and defiant in his return. Our source, through a conversation with Narita, verified that Narita was the scheduled opponent all along (chosen by Shibata), and that the angle was also planned from the start.

The NOAH segment on Night 2 was pitched by KENTA. Keiji Muto declined when asked to cut part of the promo, out of respect for his history with the promotion. This lines up with Muto refusing to participate in the office encouraged social media and newspaper trash talk/call outs in the aftermath of the shows announcement, which we detailed in a previous report. The all star tag with Muto & Kaito Kiyomiya vs Kazuchika Okada & Hiroshi Tanahashi was always earmarked as the main event, with the LIJ/Kongoh match previously advertised as such out of respect to Shingo, who was IWGP World champion at the time of the announcement. The original plan for the all star tag main event was a six man match, with Kota Ibushi and Go Shiozaki involved, but Ibushi was not medically cleared in time.

There isn't much to note regarding CIMA's appearance at Wrestle Kingdom other than New Japan and GLEAT have a loose, unofficial relationship that was described as "friendly" and nothing more. There are people on both sides who want to see the relationship morph into something more official, notably Kaz Hayashi on the GLEAT side, and Jushin Thunder Liger, who is a huge fan of STRONGHEARTS that has pushed and advocated for them in the past, including for last year's Best of the Super Juniors.

Nothing has changed regarding House of Torture after the NEVER Openweight match between Tomohiro Ishii and EVIL was poorly received by critics and both Japanese and non-Japanese fans on social media. There are House of Torture members who aren't necessarily thrilled with the layouts of their matches, but are generally indifferent, and just see it as business and are happy for the push.

-J

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
BULK Orchestra in NJPW pls :pray:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I wonder why Mutoh is so resistant to cutting a promo? He didn't have to go in hard. Something like "I love NJPW but now I'm representing NOAH and I won't lose" idk

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Give Liger the book imo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Mutoh needed the promo time to figure out how to work his phone

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL1ddCjARG0

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
as some people probably assumed, KENTA off the NJPW vs NOAH Wrestle Kingdom show replaced with Mystery Partner.

Google Translate on the Japanese tweet also implies that KENTA was hurt more than just his face exploding

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/1479310769745698816

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Youch if it's wasn't for Fenix that'd be the worse injury of the last few days

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

A dislocated hip?!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
English version

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1479313661856718848

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

holy poo poo

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
drat, that was WAY worse than it looked. I figured he broke his face taking a header into the trash can, but I didn't see the rest coming at all.

Meanwhile Fenix bent his elbow 180 degrees the wrong way and he'll be back in a few weeks, no biggie :shrug:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
should never had that match, even Tana, the winner, wasn't happy (and not just in the kayfabe sense imo)

like would they even send Tanahashi to the US right now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus, I guess the lesson is don't gently caress with the Ace :ohdear:

Absolutely sucks KENTA can't be on the NOAH/New Japan show, at least he got to be in the great NOAH six-man recently.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Per Hisame, one of the names being discussed as a replacement is Hideki Suzuki. Which would be at least pretty funny. https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1479374367431835649?t=BQmS3hWam9-79Pi5ZRF80Q&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Suzuki vs Suzuki. Has that happened before? Surely must have at a TAKAYAMANIA or TakaTaichiMania or some other indy produce show. Anyway, kind of nice to see the last Karl Gotch student in New Japan for a match

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/KENTAG2S/status/1479398540535529478?s=20

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Suzuki vs Suzuki. Has that happened before? Surely must have at a TAKAYAMANIA or TakaTaichiMania or some other indy produce show. Anyway, kind of nice to see the last Karl Gotch student in New Japan for a match

They teamed together against Tanaka and Marufuji at a Takayamania in 2019. And they were on opposite sides of a tag for a Real Japan event back in 2014.

Of course, this is currently a rumour, and would depend a lot on where in the world Hideki is right now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

yea ok posted:

dave (and everyone else) got worked

Think NJPW are taking the piss seeing what outlandish stuff they can get him to report as news at this point

https://twitter.com/andyhmurray/status/1479410460541833219?s=20

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

new thread title

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Think NJPW are taking the piss seeing what outlandish stuff they can get him to report as news at this point

https://twitter.com/andyhmurray/status/1479410460541833219?s=20

that could also just be dave being dave an getting his wires crossed based on the reports at the time that part of his skull had to removed and put back in

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 7, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

wouldn't it be impossible for the x to be hideki given quarantine protocols? unless he was already in japan before getting canned but that seems unlikely since from what i gather he was in a unit and occasionally on tv?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Thauros posted:

wouldn't it be impossible for the x to be hideki given quarantine protocols? unless he was already in japan before getting canned but that seems unlikely since from what i gather he was in a unit and occasionally on tv?

If he was outside the country, 14 day quarantine would still apply, yes.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Don't wwe have some kinda no compete clause when they fire people?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

We've no idea if that applies to their contracted employees or just to their independent contractors (I think we don't know anyway)

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

Stall_19 posted:

does this mean what it sounds like? youre fired and also cant work anywhere else? is that legal? how does that make sense

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

baka fwocka fwame posted:

does this mean what it sounds like? youre fired and also cant work anywhere else? is that legal? how does that make sense

short answer: lmao if you think laws are applied in professional wrestling.
long answer: the way the wwf releases talent is actually giving them 90 day notice that they contract is being ended, and they will be paid until the point that the contract runs out.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
From what I understand it's not legally binding that you can't work for someone else, it's just that you're guaranteed to get paid for that duration if you don't, so most people take the nice shiny WWE money instead of what is almost certainly less for signing right away. For NXT it's 30 days, and for main roster it's 90 days, but for several wrestlers they've called them up to the main roster just to fire them in a batch of releases because they're extremely petty. Contracts expiring without re-signing is different though, and they can appear elsewhere immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'll get a gdt up once i figure out the time of this show. i think new japan has it wrong on their site. they have it at 17:00 local time just like the Dome shows, NOAH just tweeted this. i think they're prob right because ABEMA also has it at 15:30 (which would be 1:30 AM eastern)