Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Welcome to Winter, goon chefs.

For the first ICSA of 2022, we will celebrate this coldest of seasons with pomegranate. While the most recognized mythological reference is probably that of Persephone, whose consumption of the seeds condemned her to sit by Hades in the Underworld, it is a fruit recognized across the globe as a symbol of ambition, fertility, prosperity, and suffering.

Your challenge this January is to prepare at minimum a 3-course meal utilizing pomegranate in all 3 courses. At least one course must be savory, and another sweet. Additional courses may be included at your discretion. As pomegranates are used in numerous cuisines around the world, innovation is highly encouraged.

Chairman’s note: Pomegranate should be in season and available within the Northern Hemisphere right now, however supply chain difficulties may make it challenging or impossible to acquire them fresh for some folks. Use of alternatives such as packaged arils, pomegranate juice, pomegranate molasses, etc. is allowed and encouraged. If too many people have trouble finding pomegranate (or think they will), I can change the challenge, just post here or PM me.

Submission Rules:
1. Post a separate thread for your entry, then post here with a link.
2. Take pictures! We love to see your steps as well as your final product.
3. If possible, please include your recipe so that other Goons can try and recreate your dishes for their own consumption.
4. Questions? Ask in the thread or send a PM.
5. The deadline for entries is Midnight Central time, 09 February 2022 with judging to follow.

To be decided by popular vote, the prizes are as follows:

First place - $50 Amazon or Penzey's gift certificate
Second place - $25 Amazon or Penzey's gift certificate
Chairman’s choice – TBD, but points are awarded here for innovation and humor. We could all use a few laughs these days.

Edit: Deadline has been pushed back to 02/09/22

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Wow, this will be a proper challenge

Edit: could you put the deadline back a week so I can have people round without breaking dry January?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 8, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Done. As soon as I get to a real keyboard

Edit: If pomegranate is intimidating, it's worth noting that this fruit is used worldwide in sweet and savory dishes. A couple examples:

Chiles en Nogada

Muhumarra

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 8, 2022

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Nooo... that is what I thought about making when I was reading the post, however after going through the link, I think I will still make it because :dafuq: was that

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm too broke to go buy all the stuff for an ICSA but man this has me thinking about some kind of lamb dish. Maybe little lamb kibbehs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Amazing how things turn out. 13 years of marriage and it’s never come up, but now I find out that my wife hates pomegranate, and that my dinner party will have to include non-pomegranate alternatives.

I guess I’m committed now, though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm in, though my wife doesn't know it yet :ninja:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I'm making something. It can't possibly turn out worse than my attempt at the breakfast ICSA.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'm making something! Now I just need to figure out what to make, last time I used pomegranates was just showing them into a jar to make the worlds fruitiest pickled fish...

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Scientastic posted:

Amazing how things turn out. 13 years of marriage and it’s never come up, but now I find out that my wife hates pomegranate, and that my dinner party will have to include non-pomegranate alternatives.

I guess I’m committed now, though.

Its all a ploy not to get trapped with you 6 mo of the year.

Waci posted:

I'm making something! Now I just need to figure out what to make, last time I used pomegranates was just showing them into a jar to make the worlds fruitiest pickled fish...

How'd that turn out, I want to try it with pickled eggs or maybe cauliflower now.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This might be too challenging for me, let's see if I can come up with something

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

How'd that turn out, I want to try it with pickled eggs or maybe cauliflower now.

Better than I'd dared hope actually, the pomegranate flavour held out much better than I'd assumed it would. I just added a fair amount of the arils and a sliced orange to the usual jar of vinegar/fish/onions and a bit of fresh juice into the brine, and the fish actually came out with a very recognisable lightly sweet pomegranate taste on top of the usual sour fish flavour.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

This might be too challenging for me, let's see if I can come up with something

Try it! Pomegranates are not that hard to deal with, just watch a couple youtube videos about the best way to take them apart.

My entry will have a gimmick, but it should turn out really good either way. I'm looking forward to my entry!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Wroughtirony posted:

Try it! Pomegranates are not that hard to deal with, just watch a couple youtube videos about the best way to take them apart.

My entry will have a gimmick, but it should turn out really good either way. I'm looking forward to my entry!

Oh yeah, I know how to break them down, more like it's an ingredient I've never used except for some disappointing experiments with chana masala

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm in.

My local grocery stores don't have fresh pomegranate right now, but they do have the frozen arils in stock and I expect to see the fresh fruit again soon - further away stores have them, just not in this town. This is Australia and they say on the websites that, at least right now, pomegranates are Product of USA. Apparently, we could grow them here, but I doubt they'd produce fruit in less than a month. Whatever, I'm excited to throw some Underworld Tears into my kitchen.

Oh hey, googling "underworld tears" takes me to this terrible Livejournal page with a lovely music video!
https://nan-darkness.livejournal.com/54035.html#cutid1

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Haters going to say "the ingredient isn't playing a key role" and "you're supposed to do 3 courses" and "you just sprinkled pomegranate arils on your dinner so you could post it as a joke" but they're just jealous :v:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My greengrocer is playing hardball: apparently, it doesn't matter if I want 20 pomegranates, the price is the price

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Scientastic posted:

My greengrocer is playing hardball: apparently, it doesn't matter if I want 20 pomegranates, the price is the price

It's free if you stuff them in your pants!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Haters going to say "the ingredient isn't playing a key role" and "you're supposed to do 3 courses" and "you just sprinkled pomegranate arils on your dinner so you could post it as a joke" but they're just jealous :v:

Remember this entry from Battle Chili Pepper?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 12, 2022

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

toplitzin posted:

Remember this entry from Battle Chili Pepper?

That was a good entry. :golfclap:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I skimmed a bit fast and didn't notice the bit about processed stuff like juice and molasses being allowed before I went shopping. So I guess I'll soon be finding out just how much juice a pomegranate yields; I got a whole bunch of them. Also, is "pomegranate molasses" just really concentrated/reduced grenadine syrup?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Meaty Ore posted:

I skimmed a bit fast and didn't notice the bit about processed stuff like juice and molasses being allowed before I went shopping. So I guess I'll soon be finding out just how much juice a pomegranate yields; I got a whole bunch of them. Also, is "pomegranate molasses" just really concentrated/reduced grenadine syrup?

I reckon you get between 100 and 150ml of juice out of a good ripe pomegranate.

Source: I juiced a load of pomegranates last week

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Meaty Ore posted:

Pomegranate molasses is just cooked down pomegranate juice with a little sugar and lemon.

4c pomegranate juice + 1/2c sugar + 1T fresh lemon juice, heat up and whisk until all sugar dissolves, then reduce to medium-low heat and cook for about an hour, until reduced to 1c.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have friends invited for the 5th of February, and one of my very forgiving friends is bringing his new boyfriend… He’s in for a pomegranatey baptism of fire!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I reckon you get between 100 and 150ml of juice out of a good ripe pomegranate.

Source: I juiced a load of pomegranates last week

This ended up being what I got, just under 700ml from five pomegranates.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Something is stirring

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I have been to three supermarkets and pomegranates are nowhere to be found, I only have half a bottle of granadine somewhere in the bar.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

ogarza posted:

I have been to three supermarkets and pomegranates are nowhere to be found, I only have half a bottle of granadine somewhere in the bar.

They are just out of season, I had to grab the last of mine last week. I am concerned for their freshness on Saturday when I am pulling everything together.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sandicap posted:

They are just out of season, I had to grab the last of mine last week. I am concerned for their freshness on Saturday when I am pulling everything together.

This was my concern when I posted this initially - end of Dec/beginning of Jan is the tail end of the season, but I had asked around at the time and every response I got was that they were still widely available :smith: Next time I'll have to pick something at the beginning of the season, but there's just isn't that much in January that hasn't already been done.

There's always the option of buying arils or just juice, however, there are only a few days left so it might be hard to plan something.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I grabbed a bunch of frozen arils too as a backup plan. So I am excited to see how everything turns out.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My phone is covered with pomegranate juice smears, and I’m moderately drunk. NGL this was a fun entry.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's always the option of buying arils or just juice, however, there are only a few days left so it might be hard to plan something.

Careful with this - both times I've gone to whole foods the arils were well past "slightly fermented". Package date the day before but huge alcohol whiff. Since my son loves to eat them too I went with frozen... after I got home, tasted, drove back, and sniffed half the stock.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The arils I got were fermented too, it worked really well in a bbq sauce application though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

the_chavi posted:

My phone is covered with pomegranate juice smears, and I’m poo poo facesmd. NGL this was a fun entry.

Edit/ I just fell down the stairs

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Something is stirring

Entry completed! Tagging for Gore: an ICSA 71 entry

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

My entry is up. Too Many Arils, a ICSA 71: Pomegranate Entry!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you've never been to Turkey, you're missing out. Bring your fat pants on over here for a spin through southern Anatolia's finest foods.
Güney Anadolu'ya hoş geldiniz - Nar İCSAsı

the_chavi fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 7, 2022

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am out of my league, but having a blast.
A Canadian in Australia misses home, clumsily

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got very drunk with some great friends, and I inflicted a meal composed of fruit they don't like on them. They are still my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I got very drunk with some great friends, and I inflicted a meal composed of fruit they don't like on them. They are still my friends.

Welp, so much for my entry. I had three dishes and they were basically worse versions of three of yours--racks of lamb, couscous, and ice cream. Didn't get a write up done because I was busy and all my pictures were terrible due to the poo poo lighting in my kitchen.