Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The AFLPA are saying some of the stuff in the book is new information to them.

So either their investigation was poor or the club told players not to disclose certain information to the AFLPA, which Eddie might not have told them to full story as he was still at the crows at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

One of the things they yelled at Eddie as part of the knife challenge was “you’ll be a poo poo father because you were raised by a single mum”

What the absolute gently caress

I mean thats hosed up to say to anyone, but gently caress, Eddie Betts is just such a nice likeable guy. How the gently caress do you do that to him??

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I assume the idea was that Eddie had confided to the camp counsellor that he was concerned he might not be as good a dad because he was raised by a single mum or something, and so that's why they specifically mentioned that? Some kind of "face your own fears" bullshit?

Because if it wasn't that and they just said it out of nowhere, then what the gently caress? All the other bullshit aside, that is just a ludicrously offensive thing to say in any context.

That comment was apparently after he had spent ages in a rope harness struggling to reach a knife to cut himself free. Just as he was about to get it the dude just jumped on his back and said that. Honestly, how the Crows admin didn't just shut the camp down there and then is beyond me.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The whole thing just sounds traumatic as hell, and we've only heard one player's recount of the events. Who knows what they did to other players that haven't spoken out yet.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's interesting that enough investigations were done by AFL and Safework to determine the camp was not only absolved of wrongdoing but early this year media outlets were forced to apologise for previous reporting on it. I believe Betts completely, but wonder why the media would buckle under what must have been insufficient investigations. Maybe there was no money lost so they just didn't care enough to fight it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AFL access journalism - don't trash the AFL or lose access to sources, stories, etc.

You Am I posted:

it's time for cmndstab to be the President of the Crows

Seconded!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sam Darcy making his debut this weekend, 209cms so he very big.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A serious question:

Has there been any sort of non-AFL, non-Crows investigation into Collective Minds practices?

Coz this poo poo sounds real-life abusive. Not just "yeah we are putting these footballers through some tough stuff to harden them up" abusive, but real-life, legally actionable abusive.

Also, (and forgive me if this has been already stated), but was the arsehole who said the poo poo to Betts about being a bad dad one of the Collective Minds staff, or a teammate? Coz if it was a teammate, then how in the gently caress could you play alongside someone prepared to say that to a friend?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
State government body SafeWork did an investigation and found no wrongdoing. Can't say whether they suck as an institution or what but it looks like they fumbled it bigtime.

It was one of the CM people who said that to Betts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snoremac posted:

State government body SafeWork did an investigation and found no wrongdoing. Can't say whether they suck as an institution or what but it looks like they fumbled it bigtime.

Yeah but if players succumbed to pressure not to talk about it to outsiders at the time, SafeWork would have nothing to go on.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I can only assume the investigations were poo poo, or something dodgy caused a favourable outcome for the camp because I don't have any reason to not believe Eddie.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Buddy to the lions would be funny

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also, (and forgive me if this has been already stated), but was the arsehole who said the poo poo to Betts about being a bad dad one of the Collective Minds staff, or a teammate? Coz if it was a teammate, then how in the gently caress could you play alongside someone prepared to say that to a friend?

Definitely not a teammate.

snoremac posted:

It's interesting that enough investigations were done by AFL and Safework to determine the camp was not only absolved of wrongdoing but early this year media outlets were forced to apologise for previous reporting on it. I believe Betts completely, but wonder why the media would buckle under what must have been insufficient investigations. Maybe there was no money lost so they just didn't care enough to fight it.

The thing is, the media was really only apologising for insinuating that the camp was run in bad faith. Essentially apologising for calling them malevolent, rather than just dangerously incompetent.

"Wrongdoing" is a pretty strong word. If the camp just consisted of them insulting the players for a weekend, it would be a lovely camp, but would it be wrongdoing? Where is the line crossed? The issue here isn't that the players were assaulted or otherwise interfered with illegally. Rather, they were just treated with absolute disrespect, and had their trust in the club abused. Like it was surgically designed to destroy the culture of what had been a pretty tight-knit group.

That grand final was less than five years ago. Of the 22 Adelaide players that took the field that day, only six are even still on the list, and only two (Walker and Laird) are currently in the side. The other four include Matt Crouch (almost certain to leave at the end of the year), Rory Sloane (ACL injury), Paul Seedsman (ongoing concussion issues) and Luke Brown (has seemingly lost his spot to Patrick Parnell), all of which could very conceivably never play for the Crows again. That squad went from contending for a premiership to being completely dessicated in the space of five years. Actually, most of them were gone within three years. Nine of them (Brad Crouch, Kelly, Atkins, Cameron, Hartigan, Lever, Greenwood, Betts, Jenkins) requested trades to other clubs, while Daniel Talia ended up leaving with bad blood between him and the club. What an absolute hatchet job.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 4, 2022

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Buddy confirmed leaving Swans! Huge.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Definitely not a teammate.

The thing is, the media was really only apologising for insinuating that the camp was run in bad faith. Essentially apologising for calling them malevolent, rather than just dangerously incompetent.

"Wrongdoing" is a pretty strong word. If the camp just consisted of them insulting the players for a weekend, it would be a lovely camp, but would it be wrongdoing? Where is the line crossed? The issue here isn't that the players were assaulted or otherwise interfered with illegally. Rather, they were just treated with absolute disrespect, and had their trust in the club abused. Like it was surgically designed to destroy the culture of what had been a pretty tight-knit group.

That grand final was less than five years ago. Of the 22 Adelaide players that took the field that day, only six are even still on the list, and only two (Walker and Laird) are currently in the side. The other four include Matt Crouch (almost certain to leave at the end of the year), Rory Sloane (ACL injury), Paul Seedsman (ongoing concussion issues) and Luke Brown (has seemingly lost his spot to Patrick Parnell), all of which could very conceivably never play for the Crows again. That squad went from contending for a premiership to being completely dessicated in the space of five years. Actually, most of them were gone within three years. Nine of them (Brad Crouch, Kelly, Atkins, Cameron, Hartigan, Lever, Greenwood, Betts, Jenkins) requested trades to other clubs, while Daniel Talia ended up leaving with bad blood between him and the club. What an absolute hatchet job.
Right I see. It's unfortunate that a conclusion that it was run in 'good faith' can easily be construed to mean what was alleged did not happen. It seems the camp's website certainly have framed it that way.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Buddy confirmed leaving Swans! Huge.
Probably means Dusty to Swans :(

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Dusty's doin' fend-offs at the SCG/Buddy's kickin' screwies in B.N.E

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

monolithburger posted:

Dusty's doin' fend-offs at the SCG/Buddy's kickin' screwies in B.N.E

Dusty says “don’t argue” at the SCG/Buddy’s kicking screwies for the Brisbane Bears

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
At this rate of migration by 2050 Buddy will have signed up for the Vladivostok Mariners

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

I assume the idea was that Eddie had confided to the camp counsellor that he was concerned he might not be as good a dad because he was raised by a single mum or something, and so that's why they specifically mentioned that? Some kind of "face your own fears" bullshit?

Because if it wasn't that and they just said it out of nowhere, then what the gently caress? All the other bullshit aside, that is just a ludicrously offensive thing to say in any context.

That comment was apparently after he had spent ages in a rope harness struggling to reach a knife to cut himself free. Just as he was about to get it the dude just jumped on his back and said that. Honestly, how the Crows admin didn't just shut the camp down there and then is beyond me.

Yeah, Collective Mind apparently used pre-camp counselling sessions as a guise to tease out ammunition. My reading of what Eddie has said is that some of that was used by camp staff, and some of it teammates were encouraged by camp staff to use.

The fact that worksafe signed off on this is loving mind boggling. OHS operates under a regime of preventative duties. An employee has a responsibility to proactively manage, minimise, and eliminate risks to their employees. You can (and will) be found in breach without the regulator having to establish actual harm has occurred.

I could see the club making the case that they hired a well regarded contractor in good faith. But senior club staff were present when this happened (Don Pyke was in the group with Eddie), and the club completely failed to act appropriately following the camp.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Turns out they had access to a doctor's report that detailed the issues too. Maybe WorkSafe needs to have a look at their internal processes/people as well

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/club-doctor-filed-damning-welfare-report-on-crows-camp-says-ex-player-20220805-p5b7lr.html

Also Josh Jenkins seems to have his head screwed on which is nice.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

thepokey posted:

I can only assume the investigations were poo poo, or something dodgy caused a favourable outcome for the camp because I don't have any reason to not believe Eddie.

Also depends on the legislation at the time, psychosocial hazards etc have only recently come under Worksafe's remit in WA, for example

They may simply not have had a mechanism to find a wrongdoing against the rules of the time

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/05/josh-jenkins-full-statement-on-the-adelaide-crows-2018-pre-season-camp/

Like what the gently caress

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

High scoring game this

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Fucks sake, he even specifically told them "hey by the way I don't want you to use this information in the camp, okay?" and they were like "yep pinky promise" and then did it anyway.

The idea that the club admins decided it would be best to set up a culture where speaking out against this garbage would see you labelled a troublemaker makes me so loving angry.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

cmndstab posted:

Fucks sake, he even specifically told them "hey by the way I don't want you to use this information in the camp, okay?" and they were like "yep pinky promise" and then did it anyway.

The idea that the club admins decided it would be best to set up a culture where speaking out against this garbage would see you labelled a troublemaker makes me so loving angry.

The boys club of boys clubs

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Didn't they use the death (see: murder) of their coach as an instrument on the camp as well? Or am I mixing timelines/memories?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol we had a review for a mark just for this - probably the worst spray I've seen in weeks.
https://i.gyazo.com/f77c940a53d758d4c7d068f6f2d24b27.mp4

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dees ain't going back 2 back

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Ed Langdon banned from all future media engagements for the year

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

On one hand its like, I want Collingwood to be found out and brought back down to earth for all these narrow wins. But on the other hand, its kinda hard to deny that that was some pretty amazing pressure footy

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

thepokey posted:

On one hand its like, I want Collingwood to be found out and brought back down to earth for all these narrow wins. But on the other hand, its kinda hard to deny that that was some pretty amazing pressure footy

Agreed. I still hate Collingwood and them confirming they're good this year makes me hate them even more. I think they call it Jealousy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

I mean if one of the following happens tonight we win:
We can kick remotely accurately for goal
Umpires don’t ride collingwoods dick for two hours straight

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I also enjoy watching and hearing Buckley have to analyse how good the team is now after his departure :laugh:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jesus christ

That's a close second to what Essendon put it's players through.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Looking forward to Collingwood losing straight sets with a % in the single digits

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Wouldn't surprise me if the Crows lose a draft pick or something over this. Now a couple of players have come out and told everyone how hosed it is it makes the AFL and their original 'investigation' look like a crock of poo poo. The AFL will tolerate a lot of things but being made to look like idiots is definitely not one of them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How the gently caress do we keep selecting one of Brown or Weideman when Van Rooyen is looking great in the VFL

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Diet Crack posted:

Didn't they use the death (see: murder) of their coach as an instrument on the camp as well? Or am I mixing timelines/memories?

I don't recall that, but it's certainly possible. They seemed to want to use trauma as a tool in the camp and that would have been pretty traumatic for almost the entire playing group.

gay picnic defence posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Crows lose a draft pick or something over this. Now a couple of players have come out and told everyone how hosed it is it makes the AFL and their original 'investigation' look like a crock of poo poo. The AFL will tolerate a lot of things but being made to look like idiots is definitely not one of them.

I hope not. Losing another draft pick will just punish the squad of almost entirely new players.

No, the AFL should do what they should have done back in the Tippett saga and actually punish the people responsible for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
They should bar those people responsible from holding any coaching/administrative position at any AFL/state league club for 10 years, much like in the business world if an administrator gets done for wrong doings.