Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Considering how Bec Judd is behaving it seems like they're both fuckheads

Bec is a massive cokehead which possibly explains a fair bit of it. Couldn't step over the boundary line without trying to snort it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

idk the “nice enough guy” angle doesn’t seem to be holding as much water for me

Yeah, probably a bad way of putting it. I don't think he has anything but good intentions, and genuinely cares for the club and its players in his own way. But you're not going to tell him how to operate... he's Mark Ricciuto, drat it! Didn't you see him win that Brownlow medal??

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/te...3947724c87bc096

Sounds like Tex still doesn't really get it

quote:

“I can put my head on the pillow at night, and put my hand on my heart and say that I did everything I could,” he told Triple M.

“I knew something was not right post the camp, I knew blokes weren’t feeling that great about it, there were fractures within the group like some of the boys have said … and I was having one-on-one meetings, I was having some confidential meetings at my house to try and work out exactly the path to take, and I can honestly say that I did everything I could to try and fix it.”

“What I will say is that, the camp, a lot of people took different things out of it and I personally, I’ve said it, I took a positive experience out of it… but that does not take away from the feelings of hurt that those boys are going through at the moment.”

I would argue as captain he could have done a lot more going from what Eddie and JJ have said.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I mean there's really only two possibilities here. Either he did everything he could to raise the issues his players were having and ask for them to be addressed, and was simply ignored by those above him... or else he didn't actually do everything he could. And realistically it's probably a combination of the two - he probably raised a small number of things, had them ignored, and didn't bother to take it any further.

I don't know why it's so hard for players to just say "yeah I wish I had my time again, I would do more this time." I think I saw Bryce Gibbs saying something along those lines recently but he's the last one to point fingers at, he'd literally only been there for a couple of months when the camp happened.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sounds like the Bulldogs are chasing Leon Cameron as an assistant coach. We kinda did have to scramble to hire people to replace King and Hansen and ended up with Spangher and a St. Bedes guy so anyone is an improvement.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Chucked together a visualiser for coaches votes but can only seem to find 2006 data onwards. Here’s the top 3 total vote getters who debuted post-2006. Let me know if you want to see some others, I can do more than three at a time but I find that’s about the limit for the chart remaining legible.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

lol how the gently caress did Carlton get Cripps off

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

flag

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting

Fallen Rib

snaeksikn posted:

lol how the gently caress did Carlton get Cripps off

The AFL put forward a really poor reasoning in their sentencing. It was 'easily' picked apart line by line (over two hours)

They ignored precedence that the Rioli/Rowell hit provided and then ignored evidence and made a mixed ruling, it should have been clear cut.

They dropped the ball and hosed up. Cripps deserves a week off, but technically the appeal was correct.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

monolithburger posted:

Spin the MRP wheel!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

This has happened before. Does the tribunal not have actual lawyers to write up the details when they bring down their rulings or something? Or are they just hamstrung by ex players who just go with the vibe and don't give them anything useful to make it stick?

I guess they often don't need to, Carlton probably wouldn't have appealed in round 1.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

You say the AFL hosed up and ignored precedence, but the AFL always ignores precedence in these matters. It's standard practice for them to ignore precedence. That way they can do their usual bullshit of manufacturing whatever result they actually want to occur without having to worry about past cases.

There's no doubt in my mind that the AFL wanted Cripps to get off.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting

Fallen Rib

Nah.

They hosed up, well not 'the AFL' but their representatives in Gleeson and whoever else was running the tribunal.

Did the AFL get scared when Sportsbet said however many millions vanished when the bets became invalid? Perhaps.

While Cripps will lead the Brownlow by the Bye, he won't win because he had 5 very average games when he was our ruckman in which he won't poll.

But they didn't overturn the decision on that, the appeal was there because the AFL appointed tribunal hosed up in such a basic manner it was picked apart.

I think the AFL wanted to nail Cripps because this was their one big chance to ward off future legal action over concussions by saying "hey look we banned a big player for a line ball incident, we take action for concussions see?" In an attempt to avoid a class action in the future.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 11, 2022

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

In other footy news, David Koch has announced that Ken Hinkley will be coaching Port in 2023, much to the displeasure of most of their supporters.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cmndstab posted:

In other footy news, David Koch has announced that Ken Hinkley will be coaching Port in 2023, much to the displeasure of most of their supporters.

MrsMachineGun's happy - that's one happy supporter!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Port has had a pretty rough season. I don't really feel like they are that far off contending though

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

:sickos:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

drunkill posted:

Nah.

They hosed up, well not 'the AFL' but their representatives in Gleeson and whoever else was running the tribunal.

Did the AFL get scared when Sportsbet said however many millions vanished when the bets became invalid? Perhaps.

While Cripps will lead the Brownlow by the Bye, he won't win because he had 5 very average games when he was our ruckman in which he won't poll.

But they didn't overturn the decision on that, the appeal was there because the AFL appointed tribunal hosed up in such a basic manner it was picked apart.

I think the AFL wanted to nail Cripps because this was their one big chance to ward off future legal action over concussions by saying "hey look we banned a big player for a line ball incident, we take action for concussions see?" In an attempt to avoid a class action in the future.

The incident wasn't lineball mate

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting

Fallen Rib

Both players jumped off the ground to take possession of a live ball, both players got to the ball at the same time and as Ah Chee is smaller he came off second best, both were fair in contesting the ball.

It's unfortunate CAC was concussed but that happens in football, thankfully it wasn't a malicious action or off the ball hit which caused the concussion.

Cripps probably deserved a week for the outcome, but the afl hosed up (as usual) and we really need an overhaul of the suspension/penalty system. But they probably won't do anything because they don't care.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Didn't watch tonight, please tell me that Max King only kicked 5 behinds because he was leading into difficult positions and not that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Didn't watch tonight, please tell me that Max King only kicked 5 behinds because he was leading into difficult positions and not that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Okay I’ll tell you that

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Doesn’t have his last shot but here ya go

Last shot was 42 metres out on an 8 degree angle, 62% chance of goal.

Via https://twitter.com/aflxscore?s=21&t=85m9nl6pbY9h616mkraGjw

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting

Fallen Rib

Testekill posted:

No

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

drunkill posted:

Both players jumped off the ground to take possession of a live ball, both players got to the ball at the same time and as Ah Chee is smaller he came off second best, both were fair in contesting the ball.

It's unfortunate CAC was concussed but that happens in football, thankfully it wasn't a malicious action or off the ball hit which caused the concussion.

Cripps probably deserved a week for the outcome, but the afl hosed up (as usual) and we really need an overhaul of the suspension/penalty system. But they probably won't do anything because they don't care.

Amazing.

Being second to the contest and jumping off the ground to put your shoulder through another blokes head is being 'fair in contesting the ball'

Cripps saw the scoreboard and knew he had to do something, so he went too hard and hosed it up, and rightly copped two weeks until all the lawyers got involved.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I don't think Cripps goes for the ball at all. He tucks his arms in and shoulders Ah Chee in the head. It's wild he didn't get 2 weeks, and even wilder he didn't get suspended at all

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I don't think Cripps goes for the ball at all. He tucks his arms in and shoulders Ah Chee in the head. It's wild he didn't get 2 weeks, and even wilder he didn't get suspended at all

Yeah I can't see how it can be argued that Cripps was doing anything but playing the man. He didn't attempt to spoil.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting

Fallen Rib

glasnost toyboy posted:

Amazing.

Being second to the contest and jumping off the ground to put your shoulder through another blokes head is being 'fair in contesting the ball'

Cripps saw the scoreboard and knew he had to do something, so he went too hard and hosed it up, and rightly copped two weeks until all the lawyers got involved.

Ah Chee jumped off the ground too, and arrived at the ball at the same time.

Cripps had his arms out for a chestmark and eyes for the ball.

The afls lawyers said cripps didn't bump.

Either way, it was an accident/unintentional that Ah Chee was concussed, he was the smaller body and came off second best in the contest.

Brad Crouch will get a week or two for his late bump last night which was intentional and not a contest for the ball.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

drunkill posted:

Either way, it was an accident/unintentional that Ah Chee was concussed, he was the smaller body and came off second best in the contest.

I know we can all be pretty one eyed about these sorts of things, but this is taking the piss.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

monolithburger posted:

I know we can all be pretty one eyed about these sorts of things, but this is taking the piss.

You mean you aren't convinced by his blurry still frame with the giant red circle?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

The afls lawyers said cripps didn't bump.

Brad Crouch will get a week or two for his late bump last night which was intentional and not a contest for the ball.

Crazy that Cripps tried to chest mark a ball that wasn’t a marking contest, maybe he should have had the concussion test too

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Looks like he’s got his right arm tucked in to bump :shrug:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Weird that Carlton dropped TDK

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Never seen a 150m penalty before. Serong is seready to clobber someone I reckon

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Never seen a 150m penalty before. Serong is seready to clobber someone I reckon

Had to go look this one up because, lol

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1558395106117312512

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

My heart, my poor heart

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Kozzie is wearing the same headband as Hunt

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

The man was stunningly well dressed. He had a smart looking jacket, and a really neat looking cape, the lining of which was shimmering and sparkling in more than Oriental splendour, which is a great deal of splendour indeed, just ask Kipling.

snaeksikn posted:

Kozzie is wearing the same headband as Hunt

I think I heard the commentators say he borrowed it off him

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I don't know why the Demons aren't chasing a good key forward as hard as possible, seems like they'd be a much better destination for Lobb than the Bulldogs.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Also I'm pretty sure that furious Blues fans have blown up the BigFooty servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting

Fallen Rib

Testekill posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that furious Blues fans have blown up the BigFooty servers.

Blues fan runs the site, just took it down for a bit probably.