Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Diet Crack posted:

Good, gently caress Hawthorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
What the actual gently caress, St. Kilda?!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If it's a Clarko/Hawthorn-related thing. Then it either means he brought across those "isolate the young indigenous kids from their families/support systems and make their lives only about the club" practices, and St. Kilda is covering it's arse/only just found out about it.

Or the Hawthorn story is about to blow up further, with more names/allegations revealed. And St. Kilda knew all along, so is sacking him even before it gets revealed.

Of course it could be something unrelated, or even just bog standard St. Kilda incompetence/fuckery.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
imo if it was the Clarkson thing they would be saying something alluding to that, cause when it comes out later it looks like they’re doing a cover up

I think this can just be safely filed under “lol saints”

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Their current claim is they did a review and decided "we're not on path to contending for a premiership" so then chose to sack him based on that.

Which, I mean, sure I guess, but just him? Why not the list manager? The recruitment staff? The upper admin? Just the senior coach, he's the only problem?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The entire football department has a lot to answer for imo. They clearly thought they were about to contend for a premiership when they risked it on Hannebery and brought in Hill, and they very clearly were not. Definitely not just a coach situation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Bit of a poo poo trade period for them too, do they have anyone to replace Ryder?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/alastair-clarkson-jets-off-to-scotland-as-north-melbourne-make-massive-move-on-potential-start-date-c-8547171
nooo aaaange, tell im to fook off

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Dees girls looking pretty sharp this year

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Dees girls looking pretty sharp this year

Melbourne and Brisbane look like the clear top sides this season. Hard to imagine they won't finish top 2 and then meet in the grand final.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
St Kilda has a history of loving off coaches for dumb reasons though (Alves/Thomas).

I guess Lyon too but everyone probably got sick of him regardless.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

The Deadly Hume posted:

St Kilda has a history of loving off coaches for dumb reasons though (Alves/Thomas).

I guess Lyon too but everyone probably got sick of him regardless.

Unless I misunderstand you, Lyon quit the Saints early to go to Freo?

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Lyon)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh I forgot all about that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Given Hird was denied his chance to get back to Essendon. Could this be his return to top flight coaching?

Honestly I think it'd be funnier if he took Clarksons (hopefully) soon to be vacant job.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given Hird was denied his chance to get back to Essendon. Could this be his return to top flight coaching?

Honestly I think it'd be funnier if he took Clarksons (hopefully) soon to be vacant job.

Well Caro was reporting he did present really well in his interview at Essendon...

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

cmndstab posted:

Their current claim is they did a review and decided "we're not on path to contending for a premiership" so then chose to sack him based on that.

Which, I mean, sure I guess, but just him? Why not the list manager? The recruitment staff? The upper admin? Just the senior coach, he's the only problem?

Thats not what was said though? It was clearly said they didnt think he was getting enough out of the list and was unable to provide a pathway to fix that.

Also, they basically already have done just that. Dont think this is just Ratten in isolation, they have turned over about half the staff in the last month.

I fully understand how harsh it is on Ratten but its kind of not unexpected based on the final half of our year. It was shockingly poor.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

I fully understand how harsh it is on Ratten but its kind of not unexpected based on the final half of our year. It was shockingly poor.

In a vacuum, it’s a decision that is fine - he wasn’t getting enough out of the team, and didn’t have a way forward.

But he got an extension three months ago, the trade period already came and went, and it just doesn’t really smell right given context.

I know the Saints just turned over top leadership as well, so it might be new people wanting to put their own stamp on things too. And honestly cutting bait on somebody is better than staying with a sunk cost. And there’s probably more we don’t know. But it just feels off.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

I know the Saints just turned over top leadership as well, so it might be new people wanting to put their own stamp on things too. And honestly cutting bait on somebody is better than staying with a sunk cost. And there’s probably more we don’t know. But it just feels off.

It does, but it's being off is business as usual with the way Saints work, it's a very frustrating culture for a fan. Unless this is a truly new broom I don't expect things to change very much, they'll get somebody competent and it won't be exciting and Saints will go back to being the team that trains players for other teams.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Whateley made an interesting point this morning, a lot of st kilda people seem to be suggesting they need a harder edge and thus Ross Lyon makes sense, but that’s absolutely not been the case since Clarkson.

Every post-hawthorn premiership (potential exception of Simpson as I don’t know as much about him) have been won by teams that appear to have built a more empathetic culture within their playing group and between players and coaches.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I find it fascinating the amount of Bulldog supporters up in arms over letting Wallis go. I understand that the guy is a great clubman and leader off the field but if he wasn't a FS and was just Mitch Johnson he'd have been delisted three years ago, he's had shocking injury luck and a hard time of it this season but he can't play midfield minutes at AFL level anymore and he's been passed as a forward.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

Whateley made an interesting point this morning, a lot of st kilda people seem to be suggesting they need a harder edge and thus Ross Lyon makes sense, but that’s absolutely not been the case since Clarkson.

Every post-hawthorn premiership (potential exception of Simpson as I don’t know as much about him) have been won by teams that appear to have built a more empathetic culture within their playing group and between players and coaches.

Simpson doesn’t come across like a fire and brimstone kind of guy, especially with leaders like Hurn and Kennedy

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like Bevo could be walking that line. Although to be fair he seems like a different person now to the one who won the flag in 2016.

Its another reason I am feeling pretty ok about the Brad Scott appointment. He can fly off the handle a bit but I think behind closed doors he seems like a good communicator and has a gentler touch to combat that. Probably more so after his time in AFL HQ

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Whilst it doesn't really fit your timeline of post-Hawthorn premierships.

There's also the fact that Sydney, (I think starting from Roos onwards), have built many very successful teams with the very public and explicit rule of "No Dickheads".

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Even Clarkson and Bomber were considered to be a deviation from the hard edge coaches common at the time when they were appointed.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Simpson's time at West Coast has been super family ( and dog, the Stevie Simpson Cup is our real premiership) and community focused. The team motto for his time with us has straight up been "Friends, Family, Flags". It almost feels like a conscious counter-effort from what he may have seen during his time at Hawthorn.

I don't think a club led by a hard-man sticks with Rioli the way we did over his journey at the club.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Saints have no idea what they are doing.

As yet another example, I cancelled my auto renewal on my membership and removed the payment details from the membership website and they still (somehow?) charged me. Good thing that's only a slightly more of a disapointment than the season and offsesaon so far so I was prepared for yet more disapontment.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Get ready St Kilda...

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Spedman posted:

Simpson doesn’t come across like a fire and brimstone kind of guy, especially with leaders like Hurn and Kennedy

I think Sam Mitchell and Sumich were the ones driving the core of the Mids and Forwards in 2018 - Simpson seems more of a 'stand back and watch' kind of coach to me

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kirsten McLeod is finally making her return to AFLW, 575 days after suffering a concussion.

https://twitter.com/BulldogsW/status/1582996756945862658

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Go dees

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Melbourne vs Brisbane grand final looks almost inevitable at this stage. Half a chance of Melbourne finishing top, too. Brisbane currently have a significant percentage advantage (both teams have conceded 183 points, but Brisbane have scored 490 to Melbourne's 440) but should have a reasonably tough match against Collingwood, whereas Melbourne can cash in against West Coast. It will almost certainly end up determining where the grand final is played.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol saints

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
No team is responsible for the entertainment of neutral fans so of course they are free to do what they want, but I guess I'll be going back to not watching the Saints unless my team is playing them, as with Freo until recently and the Saints again before that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:negative:

I wasn’t paying as much attention the first go-around but I have seen the man’s work at Freo. Ugh.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
At the very least, I'm glad we got Robert Harvey coming back as an assistant. (Should have been coach, though)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If Terry Wallace hadn't made it banned, I'm sure Ross Lyon would love forcing the ball back into the defensive 50 and running through for rushed behinds at every opportunity

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

monolithburger posted:

At the very least, I'm glad we got Robert Harvey coming back as an assistant. (Should have been coach, though)

Not sure if jobs for the boys is a winning strategy but I'll be happy if they prove me wrong.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How many people have coached a premiership at a club they used to play for? Beveridge, Worsfold, Williams spring to mind but beyond that not sure.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Whilst this is always should be considered on a case by case basis.

I am not a fan of a club legend coming back to the club they played for to coach.

Especially if it will be their first senior coaching appointment, and even more especially if they had played there within recent memory. It puts so much pressure on them to succeed. To be as good coaches as they were players. And pressure from the fans that love them, that will either deify or crucify them.

With regards to Harvey, he has done his time as an assistant, and is by all accounts a great and well regarded assistant. But I feel if he was to take the top job at St. Kilda, he would be seen as a returning Messiah. And that never ends well. For a player, a coach, or a club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

How many people have coached a premiership at a club they used to play for? Beveridge, Worsfold, Williams spring to mind but beyond that not sure.

Denis Pagan is the only other one I can think of