Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkBYszdyqdI

The Race never stops. We used to have a single series a year and we liked it, then the show got more popular, moved to VH-1, and now every wants their own Drag Race franchise. RuPaul is smart, and is running with this to make that money while the property is still hot.

But, it’s a LOT. I’m tired, let’s feel bad for ourselves.

https://twitter.com/BoAsgolfbag/status/1460773861843218439

Welcome to the SA 2022 Drag Race thread! There are too many shows going on that we’ve shifted to a single thread for the year. Talk about all Drag Race and Drag Race-related properties here. Among the series that we know for a fact that are happening (will be updated as they are officially announced):
- RuPaul’s Drag Race 14 - Meet the Queens
- UK vs The World (the new All-Stars series on the rebooted BBC Three) - Begins Feb 1 - Meet the Queens
- Dragula Season 5

As for other shows… this is the image that is being thrown around, I have no doubt that it’s accurate:

That’s a lot of sequins…

But before we get started an important note:

Standard SA spoiler rules are in effect. Once the episode is broadcast/released on their native platform then the discussion is fair game. Previews/teasers/etc. should be placed in spoiler bars and try to tag them to the related show when multiple editions are live at once. Keep track of when episodes are released so that the surprises aren’t ruined for you. One new twist over the last couple of years is that there are shows (shows on WoW Presents Plus, Paramount Plus, or Shudder for example) that are streaming only so there’s not a “linear” broadcast. People will finish at different times, instead of the typical VH1 airing.
In general, if you haven’t seen it yet and there are a lot of new messages… watch the episode before you check here.

Spoilers are out there, so be careful elsewhere if you want to stay pure. Avoid comment sessions, responses to social media posts, etc., because people will reveal more than you want to know. This is doubly true as we reach the Top Four of Season 14, assuming they can do a live crowd.

If you like to know the spoilers, go crazy. Just don’t post them here! Kisses!

Let’s review 2021, shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9H3AMzbv4E

--
(Apologies if I get any terminology wrong, let me know and I will correct it.)

THE EXPANSION OF DRAG, AT LEAST ON TELEVISION... NONE OF THIS IS NEW IN REAL LIFE BUT IT'S GREAT SEEING IN ON THE MOTHERSHIP FINALLY :woop:

This was the year that the definition of who could be a Drag Queen finally expanded on the main shows. The theme song and “Start Your Engines” were updated to be gender-neutral and “may the best Drag Queen win”. Gottmik was our first FTM contestant on a main Drag Race franchise. AFAB Queens competed for the first time: Victoria Scone on UK3 and Sigourney Beaver on Dragula 4. Drag King Tederoni won the 2021 Drag Queen of the Year Pageant Competition Award Contest Competition. Kylie Sonique Love was the first openly Trans winner of a major series when she won All-Stars 6. Digital Drag continued to help push the boundaries of what Drag could be.

And we’re going into Season 14 with the first hetero cis-gendered male competing.

The growth of who could be involved in Drag has been wonderful, and I hope it continues.

THE GOOD MOMENTS :neckbeard:

So many wonderful things this year, and I’m sure I missed a lot when I dropped off various seasons due to being overwhelmed by the number of shows:

So much of UK2 was a joy. The show started filming pre-COVID and had to stop after a few episodes. The producers filmed a documentary about how the queens were faring during the lockdown while the show was on hiatus, go check it out. Bimini Bon-Boulash took full advantage of the downtime and came back as a front runner for the title after being in the Bottom Two her first week. “UK Hun?” is a bop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uANPXgJhCy0

When Veronica Green, who had to leave the show due to contracting COVID right before taping resumed, appeared in the final episode I cheered so loudly I’m sure I annoyed my neighbors. And WHY DOES SISTER HAVE AN AXE?

All-Stars 6 was the season of second chances and rehabilitation. Ra’Jah O’Hara owned her behavior in Season 11 and completely turned around the fan sentiment, making it to the very end of the series. Trinity K. Bonet got another chance to sparkle in front of the cameras, and I loved every second of it. Jan finally got a win! Kylie Sonique Love won after being eliminated fourth in Season Two.

And then there’s Silky Nutmeg Ganache. The eliminated Queens got to fight for a chance to return to the Top 5 in a lip sync gauntlet, secretly taped after each episode. Silky, who was eliminated third, won six times in a row with a series of ever more insane performances. Seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZvNERqDwgE

She took those days between matches and did everything she needed to win, and while Eureka did win the final match to return to the competition Silky slayed and I’m happy for it.

Dragula returned and it owned. Saint made her way back to the competition after winning Resurrection, and Dahli joined her (in line with the post-credits save from the special). The main stages were great, the Extermination Challenges weren’t as heavy as past seasons, and the queens brought spectacular looks. I don’t want to say more, go get a free trial and watch it if only for that one insane Cauldron as well as learning to stan Koco Caine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBS-CmHKVU

TOO MANY SHOWS :gonk:

Meanwhile, we reached Drag Overload. It’s at the point where the cracks are really starting to show in the seasons hosted by Ru. In various seasons (S13, Down Under, UK3) it’s easy to argue that queens were kept alive in the competition to further the pre-designed storyline. Drag Race has always been a reality show, but they’ve been more willing to just go with the flow of the competition in the past. None of this is shade towards the queens who were pushed, they had no control over it, but personally, I stopped watching both Down Under and UK3 because it just wasn’t worth my time.

When we had one or two seasons a year, I would watch every week because I loved it and wanted the show to succeed. At this point, I recommend that if you aren’t feeling a season feel free to drop it and/or wait to see what the rest of the thread thinks about it before trying to catch up.

Drag Race isn’t going anywhere, so if you need a break then take one. We’ll keep you up-to-date.

--

Here’s to a wonderful 2022, let’s watch some Drag and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL QUEENS TOO (when you feel comfortable doing so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQi1AEsEb00

"We are not here to judge your drag. Drag is art, and art is subjective. What we are judging you on is your drag as it relates to this competition" – The Boulet Brothers

“I don’t want to see any loving H&M!” – RuPaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnGKfs3kmgg

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

What is RuPaul's Drag Race? I've never watched it.

RuPaul's Drag Race is a competitive reality show where Drag Queens compete in a series of challenges to prove that they have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent to be crowned the Next Drag Superstar and win a lot of money. Episodes are pretty typical for the format: The girls may complete in a mini-challenge that may gives the winner(s) some kind of advantage, a main challenge which can be anything from building costumes to acting to putting civilians in drag, and finally a runway show. The judges pick a winner, and then the Bottom Two queens battle it out in the Lip Sync... For Your Life! :nyd: Ru judges the LSFYL and the loser goes home.

We can nitpick the show and can talk about how there are too many series now but when it’s on it's a joy to watch. The important thing to keep in mind is that these girls are professional Drag Queens. They know (for the most part) how to speak, put on a show, throw shade, and give us the cutting one-liners in the confessionals that we expect. The best prize is to make it on the show as the exposure gives them a chance to make a living off of their art, and a chance at $100,000 doesn't hurt. Even being the first one kicked off (example: Miss Vangie) can work for you. We're not watching some teenager thinking that they can sing or model, in theory, these Queens have the goods necessary to make it on the show and the thick skin necessary to make it work.

Challenges include:
- Singing challenges
- Choreography
- Dress construction
- Acting challenges
- Makeup challenges
- Makeovers
- Hot guys in underwear
- Etc.

The final in-studio challenge is typically writing/recording/performing individual verses for Ru song. Much more palatable than previous Ru-related challenges, and occasionally we get gold like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep1k7ZHi0mQ&t=180s
:allears:

The main Drag Race ends with a "live" finale where the remaining queens Lip Sync... For The Crown and while it's started to have diminishing returns I think it's better to have a final duel and "live" coronation in front of a crowd than a crowning away from public eyes. "Live".

When available, make sure you stay tuned for Untucked after the main episodes for that extra backstage drama.

The Judges

RuPaul Charles

The leader of the merry bunch, we thank Ru year after year for coming up with the tasty weekly confection that is RuPaul's Drag Race. What else is there to say?

Okay, let's be real. The winner of the show is picked by Ru. The person who is kicked off each week is picked by Ru. This is Ru's baby. It exists to give glory to Ru and help sell her albums (now on iTunes). You thought it was bad to ignore Tim Gunn? DON'T IGNORE RU.

Yes, Ru has been problematic at times. No one denies this, and she deserves to the called out when warranted (and the lack of openly trans queens on the show gets more maddening each season), but she has also helped to create this show that lets these Queens make a living doing Drag and has really influenced the culture. The show is great, Ru is great, and Ru says stupid things reasonably often. It's a contradiction wrapped in an Epstein Parker suit.

Fracking.

The rest of the main judges:

Michelle Visage

(That picture still is everything forever.)

Every once in a while I remember that Michelle wasn't an original judge on the show and I have to pause and collect my wits. The show started to take off once Michelle replaced Merle. Coincidence?

If Ru is the Mother, then Michelle is the stern Aunt. Michelle wants all of the queens to reach their potential, so she's willing to be harsh but it always comes from a place of live. She's been friends with RuPaul forever, co-hosted with Ru on her VH1 talk show, has been a more than welcome addition to the judging panel since the third season, and is the one who really goes on the road with the queens to help push the brand. She's fabulous.

Carson Kressley

https://twitter.com/dvvidmurray/status/858288639238909952

Carson's perfect for the show. Fashion advice, snarky comments, good play with the rest of the judges.

Ross Matthews

A Drag Race superfan, Ross came in a couple of times and guest judged and was so good that they brought him in to rotate the judges seat with Carson. He knows his stuff, he knows how to provide good reality TV, and his pun game is excellent. Plus, he's more than willing to disagree with Michelle.

Guest judges

There are going to be so many guest judges, but WE START WITH LIZZO AAAAAAAAAAAA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Pit Crew

Eye candy, props, set movers... you call them and they'll show up in their skivvies.

RACERS, START YOUR ENGINES AND MAY THE BEST DRAG QUEEN WIN!

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 6, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

LET'S MEET... OUR SEASON 14 QUEENS!

Alyssa Hunter - 26 - Cataño, Puerto Rico

Angeria Paris VanMicheals - 27 - Atlanta, Georgia

Bosco - 28 - Seattle, Washington

Daya Betty - 25 - Springfield, Missouri

DeJa Skye - 31 - Fresno, California

Jasmine Kennedie - 22 - New York City, New York

Jorgeous - 21 - Nashville, Tennessee

June Jambalaya - 29 - Los Angeles, California

Kerri Colby - 24 - Los Angeles, California

Kornbread "The Snack" Jeté - 29 - Los Angeles, California

Lady Camden - 31 - San Francisco, California

Maddy Morphosis - 26 - Fayetteville, Arkansas

Orion Story - 25 - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Willow Pill - 26 - Denver, Colorado

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 7, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Reserved in case we need it in the future.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ready for a sensible 74 seasons of 2022 Drag competitions

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

gandlethorpe posted:

Ready for a sensible 74 seasons of 2022 Drag competitions

season 96

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's been over 12 hours and I'm still not over how beautiful Kerri is

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Pinwiz11 posted:

Silky, who was eliminated third, won six times in a row with a series of ever more insane performances. Seriously:

Pinwiz11 posted:

...it’s easy to argue that queens were kept alive in the competition to further the pre-designed storyline.

:colbert:

But yes, l'm also feeling the... drag, of too much drag race. I gave up on UK3 after like, episode 4 or 5 after it was made clear that no matter how badly Krystal hosed up she'd never be sent home. I hate that they're not even trying to maintain the illusion that it's an actual competition anymore.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

blizzardvizard posted:

It's been over 12 hours and I'm still not over how beautiful Kerri is

Kerri is stunning, but June's mug is absolutely blowing me away. So soft and pretty. :allears:

Preview spoilers: Am I the only one who felt a wave of relief when production didn't try to make the contestants go "OMG ARE THERE ONLY 7 OF US?! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!". Willow going "Oh poo poo. It's a split premiere" was cool.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

:colbert:

But yes, l'm also feeling the... drag, of too much drag race. I gave up on UK3 after like, episode 4 or 5 after it was made clear that no matter how badly Krystal hosed up she'd never be sent home. I hate that they're not even trying to maintain the illusion that it's an actual competition anymore.

I ended up quitting Canada about 2 episodes before the end. I couldn't tell the queens apart, none of them stood out to me. But your take on UK3 was spot on. Such a let down compared to how wonderful UK2 was that aired the same year.

Here's to hoping to a strong premiere for Drag Race OG tomorrow night. I absolutely do not want another demented twist like last season where they made half the cast think they were eliminated in the first episode. That was terrible.

Really the only seasons I'm actively excited about at this point is UK v The World, and the new All Stars with the all winners cast

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Fair. Personally, I thought Silky won all her lip syncs until she faced Eureka but I totally understand if you disagree.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jan beat her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Fair. Personally, I thought Silky won all her lip syncs until she faced Eureka but I totally understand if you disagree.

She did very well, but I don't think she won all of her lip syncs, although where I don't think she did, it was very close. She also said that she was told what each lip sync would be and had days to prepare for each lip sync whereas the queens she went up against had no time for preparation. She had a major unfair advantage, beyond just being one of Ru's all time favorites.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

She did very well, but I don't think she won all of her lip syncs, although where I don't think she did, it was very close. She also said that she was told what each lip sync would be and had days to prepare for each lip sync whereas the queens she went up against had no time for preparation. She had a major unfair advantage, beyond just being one of Ru's all time favorites.

I'm pretty sure all the eliminated contestants (other than Eureka, I believe she had less time to prepare) received their Rudemption Lip Sync equal distance apart. Silky had the same time to prepare as the other eliminated contestants, minus Eureka.

Or as someone on Reddit summarized:

quote:

during each lipsync, look at what Ru and the other judges are wearing. they’re wearing what they had on the week AFTER that respective queen was wearing. this means that the returning queen and the newly eliminated queen had the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME to prepare for the lipsync.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 6, 2022

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Nihonniboku posted:

I am very much Not A Fan™ of "hey look I used a prop" lip syncs, and it frustrated me pretty badly that it kept working for her.
Same went for Shangela in All Stars 3; it's teaching future queens that props are the way to go and you can lean on them instead of performing ability, and even then the imitators aren't even doing it well.

Look at Sasha Velour, outfit reveals are now the standard and nobody is approaching doing them as artistically or powerfully as that one moment.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Trinity's "old lady" suit and Shangela's fat suit are two lipsync Choices that I will never understand.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Y'all I just think it's bullshit that they mention the queen a lot in Drag Race UK but never once in the Canadian and Down Under varieties, despite them having the exact same relationship with her as the UK does.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The majority of Canadians don’t give a gently caress about the Queen.

Just our “twink” PM

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Nihonniboku posted:

I ended up quitting Canada about 2 episodes before the end. I couldn't tell the queens apart, none of them stood out to me.

It didn't help that they wouldn't put their names up on the screen during confessionals; I found I had to keep Wikipedia open to remember who was who for a few episodes.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Orion Story seems like she is stoned (as in weed, not as in sequins) 24/7, and I can't tell if I love it or hate it.

Golbez posted:

Y'all I just think it's bullshit that they mention the queen a lot in Drag Race UK but never once in the Canadian and Down Under varieties, despite them having the exact same relationship with her as the UK does.

Excuse you, the Queen won DU's Snatch Game. :colbert:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Frankly there's been a serious Drag Race drought lately and I am ready for the deluge. S14 looks like a good mix of contestants, Kornbread is great.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Tonight's the night :woop:

Lotta buzz about Kornbread and Willow, who I love and think will go far. But it seems like the RPDR subreddit is overwhelmingly convinced Orion will go home first based on her idgaf attitude in the promo vids. I'm oddly obsessed with her, so I hope not.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7041255847485345071
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7049582913339395375

Edit: one more https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7049768761628462382

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 8, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

AND IT BEGINS :toot:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Willow Pill's talent show entry might be one of the best things I've ever seen on this show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I was thinking they were pushing the "Willow is going to fail" narrative too hard, that was amazing!

Kerri and Kornbread killed it too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, you know what, they've drawn me back in. I was feeling drained after 365 days of new episodes of Drag Race last year, skipped a few series altogether, and dropped out of the end of Canada. But this episode drew me back in. No gimmicks, just straight up drag race. Seems like a solid group of queens, even the first to go I was like, oh man, would have kind of liked to have seen from her. I think in this group there are a couple of obvious front runners imo Cornbread and Kerri, but I think they all have potential to surprise us.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Split premieres are cool, because we get more time with each contestant. The downside is, I have to wait a week to see the queen I'm rooting for (Angeria). :colbert:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

What are the streaming options in the US for season 14 and untucked?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Willow's talent show gave me so much life. She and Kornbread are my faves, even though I've seen Bosco and liked her (I was also very drunk). A teen I work with is being mentored by Bosco and they seem pretty on the up and up so I am a bit disappointed by her current showing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

iceyman posted:

What are the streaming options in the US for season 14 and untucked?

You can use google chrome incognito mode and create a free account to watch VH1 live for 24 hours on their website.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Willow's talent show gave me so much life. She and Kornbread are my faves, even though I've seen Bosco and liked her (I was also very drunk). A teen I work with is being mentored by Bosco and they seem pretty on the up and up so I am a bit disappointed by her current showing.

I am very sad Bosco is so...meh. Hopefully they turn it around.

Kornbread is my favourite - I am 100% team Kornbread. I don't even care who the other girls are at this point, I just want her to narrate the entire season. I do kind of get Latrice Royale "will place high but has no chance of winning" vibes from her edit thus far, though. I was also really glad Ru and the others called Michelle's critiques out, because I was like "what show was she watching???"

Willow was so out of left-field. I have no idea what I watched but I loved every second of it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
See my thing is that so far I'm also meh on Kerri. She's absolutely gorgeous but so far she's not doing much for me either. I've always been pretty cold on gorgeous look queens though so, like Bosco, I won't be surprised if she turns out for me later. Either way, I'm super excited for part 2 since I really want to see what Daya Betty and Deja Skye are bringing.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I really loved Willow’s performance. I was fully entertained. It was good art.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

If Kornbread does not make it to the end, I will write very stern words.

Willow's performance was real absurd, and I don't know if anything close to that has been on the show, but I know I want more of it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Well, I'm somewhat devastated already... I hope there's a twist so at least all 14 queens get to be together at one point.

RE: Kerry, I feel the opposite. I'm always a little prejudiced towards the pretty queens thinking they'll be stuck up and their personality will be "pretty". She seems really sweet and I loved her banter with Kornbread.

Bosco (Chicken and Waffles) was feeling really confident in Untucked, lol

Nth-ing the Willow praise. If she goes far, I hope to god Ru starts saying her name normal.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Can I suggest a new section for the huge effort (it is amazing!!!!) that the OP covers?

Good/Notable RuCap shows: our Yuhua Hamasaki Bootleg, our IM*H*O the Show, Sibling Watchery, Race Chaser, etc.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

You know what I'm into Willow now

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I didn't watch UK or Canada and took a big break from Drag Race so I'm ready for S14.

Willow's weird rear end talent show was a delight, also really liked Kornbread

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The bathtub thing was a little basic - wacky wacky altho the toaster bit was funny. I loved how Ru and Lizzo put Michelle in her place - Kornbread was amazing - Silky 2.0 but funnier and nicer so far. Also I hope Ru doesn’t keep up the baby talk for Willow cause it’s grating but I have a feeling they will. It’s not as enjoyable as the legendary Ivyyyyyyyy Winters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Vintersorg posted:

The bathtub thing was a little basic - wacky wacky altho the toaster bit was funny. I loved how Ru and Lizzo put Michelle in her place - Kornbread was amazing - Silky 2.0 but funnier and nicer so far. Also I hope Ru doesn’t keep up the baby talk for Willow cause it’s grating but I have a feeling they will. It’s not as enjoyable as the legendary Ivyyyyyyyy Winters.

She was only doing it with the name, which I feel like that was the intention of her drag name.