Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Supercross is back again. Feld (the promoter) has dumped the FIM endorsement (who are now working to create their own separate international Supercross series). And since everything about the pandemic is fine, we’re back to a normal schedule with the first race at Anaheim!

What is supercross?

It’s motocross, but crammed inside an American football or baseball stadium.

There are 2 classes, by engine size: 450 and 250cc four strokes. 250 is the intro class, with riders as young as 16, and is broken down into an East and West championship (based approximately on which state the race is in). The race format is below:

SX themselves wrote up a good primer here

So why should I watch?
If bikes doing big jumps isn’t enough for you, the racing is generally pretty close. No one bike or team dominates, so at the beginning of the season, it really is anyone’s championship. Plus the riders can be a bit more… aggressive than in sport bike series (:911:)

Riders to watch

Cooper Webb: The reigning champion. He switched up his training regimen over the off season and is no longer working with Aldon Baker. Baker trained 15 out of the past 21 champions, so we’ll see how that turns out for Webb. Also, he sucks and I hate him.

Eli Tomac: The 2020 champion, and almost champion many other times. This year he switched from Kawasaki to Yamaha. Generally inconsistent in the beginning of the season, then suddenly blitzes everyone in the end.

Ken Roczen: A 250 champion, but has yet to win a 450 championship. He’s had some pretty gnarly crashes over the years, and last year blamed his performance on some mystery illness. Maybe this year he can get out of his own head and win.

I won’t break down the 250 riders since it’s split into 250 East and West divisions. The Lawrence brothers have created a stir by being crazy Aussies whenever they’re interviewed. Anyone on Star Racing Yamaha is also a good bet to win.

Here's a full team breakdown This includes all the factory teams plus some of the smaller teams. Not included are the privateers who show up in personal vans and try to qualify.

The Schedule:
    Round 1 Saturday, January 8 - Anaheim, CA | Angels Stadium
    Round 2 Saturday, January 15 - Oakland, CA | RingCentral Coliseum
    Round 3 Saturday, January 22 - San Diego, CA | Petco Park
    Round 4 Saturday, January 29 - Anaheim, CA | Angel Stadium
    Round 5 Saturday, February 5 - Glendale, AZ | State Farm Stadium
    Round 6 Saturday, February 12 - Anaheim, CA | Angel Stadium
    Round 7 Saturday, February 19 - Minneapolis, MN US Bank Stadium
    Round 8 Saturday, February 26 - Arlington, TX | AT&T Stadium
    Round 9 Saturday, March 5 - Daytona Beach, FL | Daytona Intl. Speedway
    Round 10 Saturday, March 12 - Detroit, MI | Ford Field
    Round 11 Saturday, March 19 - Indianapolis, IN | Lucas Oil Stadium
    Round 12 Saturday, March 26 - Seattle, WA | Lumen Field
    Round 13 Saturday, April 9 - St. Louis, MO Dome at America’s Center
    Round 14 Saturday, April 16 - Atlanta, GA Atlanta Motor Speedway
    Round 15 Saturday, April 23 - Foxborough, MA Gillette Stadium
    Round 16 Saturday, April 30 - Denver, CO | Empower Field at Mile High
    Round 17 Saturday, May 6 - Salt Lake City, UT | Rice-Eccles Stadium

Where the hell do I watch it?
If you’re not in the US, buy this handy streaming package. At least it’s cheaper than MotoGP.
If you are in the US, the $4.99 Peacock streaming package has all the practice, qualifying, and races live. I particularly like it because the ad breaks are just b-roll of the track not as painful as other streaming events, at least. Otherwise, here’s the TV schedule:

Deeters fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

Cooper Webb: he sucks and I hate him.

:hmmyes:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The old nbc gold used to be track footage but I feel like they stopped that last year with the peacock app and started showing them. Oh well, I'll find out soon anyways.

Is there fantasy this year

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Oh we are going to foxboro and the finals in salt lake this year to make up for missing out the last two years which I'm pumped for

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought Peacock was still ad free, but I could be wrong. Maybe I paid for a higher tier or something last year.

And we still have a goon league on pulpmxfantasy.com, so sure, we can still play. VTnewb is the president, I think he's gotta approve any new players (which I assume there currently are none).

I might make Foxboro this year, but I'm wait to see on some other family stuff before I buy tickets.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I think they changed towards the end of last season because of an open mic and an extremely heated conversation between some riders over a track incident during a commercial break

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Picking semi random based off qualifying

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Ya basically lol

The Barcia interview was really good, looking forward to seeing it again during the big show

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I think Colt Nichols is dead

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Haha, he looked dead and didn't even get a medic flag, but they red flagged the second moto

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah I thought the same thing, swolls crash didn't seem as bad

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Lol Webb fell over

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Paging user Buildscharacter who I hope isn't too good for dirt bike racing these days!!!!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
im a simple man, i see eli tomac and i pick him

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

You did v well!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I think it was a solid start to the season (even if I fell asleep before the heats were done). Seeing Cooper Webb fall was a definite highlight.

Also props to Carson Brown for the best injury report
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYg9-wFFCda/

910 posted:

I was having an awesome time at A1. Unfortunately caught a lever through my mouth and rearranged it a little haha. The good news is one of the track crew found a tooth of mine on the track and got it back to me 😭😂 Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to finish the night because I had too many gashes in my mouth that required stitches. Planning on being back for Oakland. Thanks a ton for everyone’s messages, either way I’ve been having a blast on the bike with the @aeopowersportsktmracing team!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

Paging user Buildscharacter who I hope isn't too good for dirt bike racing these days!!!!

I’m always here to boo cooper Webb. I’ll do sx fantasy starting next week. This week I will give myself 100 points. No questions tia.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

I’m always here to boo cooper Webb. I’ll do sx fantasy starting next week. This week I will give myself 100 points. No questions tia.

HE FELL OVER OH MAH GAWD IT WAS SO loving FUNNY

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

For those interested but not enough to buy a subscription, NBC Sports youtube has extended highlights on youtube.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

HE FELL OVER OH MAH GAWD IT WAS SO loving FUNNY

Alright, I’m going to watch the race just for this tomorrow.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

For those interested but not enough to buy a subscription, NBC Sports youtube has extended highlights on youtube.

Good call. After builds character's good Dakar posting, I was inspired to do some effort posting on SX. So hopefully someone gets interested enough to stick around.

The extended highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSKfQdgFwQ

Shorter highlights for the 250 and 450 mains if you're not quite ready for a 20 minute recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz2lEIbb7Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzXtCTykWA

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I did several pix and did not do well

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Oakland is tomorrow night. Doesn't seem like a particularly interesting track, but I think the sand section will get some people.

https://youtu.be/dGTgAhSaV6I

Injury report so far (at least some of the more important people):
Justin Brayton - out with COVID

Colt Nichols - Had surgery from his crash last weekend. Probably won't make it back for the season.

Jalek Swoll - Concussion from his crash. Out for this race, but will be back eventually.

you can read the rest. Don't pick any of those guys if you're doing fantasy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

Oakland is tomorrow night. Doesn't seem like a particularly interesting track, but I think the sand section will get some people.

https://youtu.be/dGTgAhSaV6I

Injury report so far (at least some of the more important people):
Justin Brayton - out with COVID

Colt Nichols - Had surgery from his crash last weekend. Probably won't make it back for the season.

Jalek Swoll - Concussion from his crash. Out for this race, but will be back eventually.

you can read the rest. Don't pick any of those guys if you're doing fantasy.

What the hell is Friese doing in 250s? He's going to fly into a rage and accidentally murder one of those tiny boys.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Just being a 31 year old and losing to a bunch of teenagers

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Barcia bought a shirt from Anderson, so I'm gonna assume this means Anderson won't retaliate for last weekend.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Fuckin sexton ran over roczens head literally

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jesus, if anyone ever figures out air bag suits for dirt bikes, Roczen needs to get the first one

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

A* just introduced one, didn't they? I don't know if you'll see it in this format as they will make it harder to get back on the bike right away as often with more minor crashes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

Jesus, if anyone ever figures out air bag suits for dirt bikes, Roczen needs to get the first one

They’ve been mandatory in Dakar the last two years. :smug:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, it'll definitely take some tweaking so someone can flop over without setting it off, but inflate for a big one.

We'll see which of my picks gets completely wrecked this week:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I forgot to post my picks earlier, I haven't watched the race yet no spoilers please

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Idk where breece thought he was gonna go at the finish of the lcq, if he didn't dump it he was absolutely going to torpedo the two riders ahead of him.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Lol Jason Anderson's butt crack

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know what Breece was doing either, but I was really hoping Enticknap was gonna ride by and roost him before he got back up.

My wife kept pointing out Anderson's crack too

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

McClellan Hile is such a boarding school lacrosse name lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Hile got a bad break and now I'm a fan of his

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the meadow we can build a snowman
And pretend that he is