Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Supercross is back again. Feld (the promoter) has dumped the FIM endorsement (who are now working to create their own separate international Supercross series). And since everything about the pandemic is fine, we’re back to a normal schedule with the first race at Anaheim!

What is supercross?

It’s motocross, but crammed inside an American football or baseball stadium.

There are 2 classes, by engine size: 450 and 250cc four strokes. 250 is the intro class, with riders as young as 16, and is broken down into an East and West championship (based approximately on which state the race is in). The race format is below:

SX themselves wrote up a good primer here

So why should I watch?
If bikes doing big jumps isn’t enough for you, the racing is generally pretty close. No one bike or team dominates, so at the beginning of the season, it really is anyone’s championship. Plus the riders can be a bit more… aggressive than in sport bike series (:911:)

Riders to watch

Cooper Webb: The reigning champion. He switched up his training regimen over the off season and is no longer working with Aldon Baker. Baker trained 15 out of the past 21 champions, so we’ll see how that turns out for Webb. Also, he sucks and I hate him.

Eli Tomac: The 2020 champion, and almost champion many other times. This year he switched from Kawasaki to Yamaha. Generally inconsistent in the beginning of the season, then suddenly blitzes everyone in the end.

Ken Roczen: A 250 champion, but has yet to win a 450 championship. He’s had some pretty gnarly crashes over the years, and last year blamed his performance on some mystery illness. Maybe this year he can get out of his own head and win.

I won’t break down the 250 riders since it’s split into 250 East and West divisions. The Lawrence brothers have created a stir by being crazy Aussies whenever they’re interviewed. Anyone on Star Racing Yamaha is also a good bet to win.

Here's a full team breakdown This includes all the factory teams plus some of the smaller teams. Not included are the privateers who show up in personal vans and try to qualify.

The Schedule:
    Round 1 Saturday, January 8 - Anaheim, CA | Angels Stadium
    Round 2 Saturday, January 15 - Oakland, CA | RingCentral Coliseum
    Round 3 Saturday, January 22 - San Diego, CA | Petco Park
    Round 4 Saturday, January 29 - Anaheim, CA | Angel Stadium
    Round 5 Saturday, February 5 - Glendale, AZ | State Farm Stadium
    Round 6 Saturday, February 12 - Anaheim, CA | Angel Stadium
    Round 7 Saturday, February 19 - Minneapolis, MN US Bank Stadium
    Round 8 Saturday, February 26 - Arlington, TX | AT&T Stadium
    Round 9 Saturday, March 5 - Daytona Beach, FL | Daytona Intl. Speedway
    Round 10 Saturday, March 12 - Detroit, MI | Ford Field
    Round 11 Saturday, March 19 - Indianapolis, IN | Lucas Oil Stadium
    Round 12 Saturday, March 26 - Seattle, WA | Lumen Field
    Round 13 Saturday, April 9 - St. Louis, MO Dome at America’s Center
    Round 14 Saturday, April 16 - Atlanta, GA Atlanta Motor Speedway
    Round 15 Saturday, April 23 - Foxborough, MA Gillette Stadium
    Round 16 Saturday, April 30 - Denver, CO | Empower Field at Mile High
    Round 17 Saturday, May 6 - Salt Lake City, UT | Rice-Eccles Stadium

Where the hell do I watch it?
If you’re not in the US, buy this handy streaming package. At least it’s cheaper than MotoGP.
If you are in the US, the $4.99 Peacock streaming package has all the practice, qualifying, and races live. I particularly like it because the ad breaks are just b-roll of the track not as painful as other streaming events, at least. Otherwise, here’s the TV schedule:

Deeters fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought Peacock was still ad free, but I could be wrong. Maybe I paid for a higher tier or something last year.

And we still have a goon league on pulpmxfantasy.com, so sure, we can still play. VTnewb is the president, I think he's gotta approve any new players (which I assume there currently are none).

I might make Foxboro this year, but I'm wait to see on some other family stuff before I buy tickets.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Picking semi random based off qualifying

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Haha, he looked dead and didn't even get a medic flag, but they red flagged the second moto

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I think it was a solid start to the season (even if I fell asleep before the heats were done). Seeing Cooper Webb fall was a definite highlight.

Also props to Carson Brown for the best injury report
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYg9-wFFCda/

910 posted:

I was having an awesome time at A1. Unfortunately caught a lever through my mouth and rearranged it a little haha. The good news is one of the track crew found a tooth of mine on the track and got it back to me 😭😂 Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to finish the night because I had too many gashes in my mouth that required stitches. Planning on being back for Oakland. Thanks a ton for everyone’s messages, either way I’ve been having a blast on the bike with the @aeopowersportsktmracing team!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

For those interested but not enough to buy a subscription, NBC Sports youtube has extended highlights on youtube.

Good call. After builds character's good Dakar posting, I was inspired to do some effort posting on SX. So hopefully someone gets interested enough to stick around.

The extended highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSKfQdgFwQ

Shorter highlights for the 250 and 450 mains if you're not quite ready for a 20 minute recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz2lEIbb7Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzXtCTykWA

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Oakland is tomorrow night. Doesn't seem like a particularly interesting track, but I think the sand section will get some people.

https://youtu.be/dGTgAhSaV6I

Injury report so far (at least some of the more important people):
Justin Brayton - out with COVID

Colt Nichols - Had surgery from his crash last weekend. Probably won't make it back for the season.

Jalek Swoll - Concussion from his crash. Out for this race, but will be back eventually.

you can read the rest. Don't pick any of those guys if you're doing fantasy.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Just being a 31 year old and losing to a bunch of teenagers

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Barcia bought a shirt from Anderson, so I'm gonna assume this means Anderson won't retaliate for last weekend.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jesus, if anyone ever figures out air bag suits for dirt bikes, Roczen needs to get the first one

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, it'll definitely take some tweaking so someone can flop over without setting it off, but inflate for a big one.

We'll see which of my picks gets completely wrecked this week:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know what Breece was doing either, but I was really hoping Enticknap was gonna ride by and roost him before he got back up.

My wife kept pointing out Anderson's crack too

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Anaheim 2 tonight. I'm probably going to fall asleep before I watch it. Thanks streaming services.

I feel gross picking Webb. Maybe he'll crash.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Vince Freise is probably fine. His team tweeted that he's ok, and since there's no tabloid level reporting like with MotoGP, that's probably the best we'll get. Shimoda just has the worst luck this year:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZXZm88vYC7/

quote:

At least I learned how to front flip and deliver a sushi roll🍣😆

builds character posted:

OK, I finally watched the race and holy poo poo, RIP roczen. Got taken out by Anderson again and then just a minute back for the rest of the race.

Nice to see Tomac get a win. I wonder if he's figured out the mental side a little better now too. Seems like the bike is getting dialed in anyway.

As for webb, I hope you know this is your fault deeters. Thank you for your sacrifice.

:patriot:

This year is shaping up really good already. I'm enjoying Anderson being competitive again, even if he destroyed the most fragile guy on the track.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Big big fan of Daniel Blair in the booth. I love his pre-race show Blairs Breakdown.

ZachO took a page from the Ryan Dungy retirement press conference guide to having your mom dress you. Yikes. Dude needed a cup of coffee.

Also, loved this from Vital:

What does that thing do? Feather the clutch on a start?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Glendale tonight is a Triple Crown race. Both classes will have 3 "mains" instead of the usual heats, LCQ, and main.

https://racerxonline.com/2022/02/04/redux-triple-crown-format-fresher posted:

Instead of each class having qualifying, heat races, LCQs, then main events, the Triple Crown format will have qualifying followed immediately by an LCQ for each class. The top 18 in qualifying are automatically set for the three races, and the first four spots of the LCQ will determine the final four spots in each class, giving us 22 riders on the gate for the three races. There will be a break between the LCQs and the start of the “night show” racing in order to allow for track maintenance and teams and riders to prep their machines from the day and/or LCQ.

quote:

Unlike a typical main event, the three individual races do not score points in the Triple Crown format. The finishing order is based on Olympic scoring, and then the totals from all three races are added together for the overall (the lower the number the better).

I kinda like this format since all the racing matters and you end up with more total time with bikes on the track. But it does suck that if someone has 1 bad finish, it kinda screws them for the other two.

Also, a note for anyone who wants to try-hard with fantasy: you get 3 chances at the First Lap Leader bonus. And wait until the final 22 riders are determined before picking so you don't end up with someone who's not in the mains.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'd love to know why Webb dropped Aldon Baker as a trainer. He was mediocre at best, went KTM and Baker and won the championship, and he won last year with him too. Doesn't seem like his new plan is working yet

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Cool, 5 PM start time means I can actually watch live. Thank you, Feld.

I just picked silly names to fill out my 250 riders.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That's worth $50.

I can't believe I'm paying money for them to gently caress up the audio every week

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

poo poo, Sexton got his bell ring pretty good. Sucks after such a good ride. But at least Anderson was there to keep Webb from winning.

I'm really liking AC as an announcer too. If he's gonna keep hurting himself, I hope he takes this as a job.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I think it was Kyle Peters and whatever team he's with. I just can't find a good photo of it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I never heard more on the CO thing, but it doesn't surprise me either. I've gotten some bad headaches from indoor bike races with bad ventilation.

I think Stank dog is riding a two stroke again tonight. Let's see if he makes the show

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Me too, but I'm happy enough that Cooper Webb lost out

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yup. His wife was posting a bunch of anti-vaxxer stuff on instagram a couple months ago, so I am not surprised at all that he got COVID. Though I'm curious what his "mystery illness" was if this press release confirms he had that and Epstein-Barr.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Thank you for sabotaging Webb's muffler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's the loudest boo I've heard on a broadcast.

Anderson's party is gonna be a big one. I want to know how "fried" he is