Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

interwhat posted:

I just want to jump in and say anyone hating on Moana's music is musically not qualified to comment, you're just insane, or just downright daft musically. That being said, all LMMs other projects suck in comparison. To be honest I had no idea he was a significant part of Moana. Music should be appreciated for it's quality, and of the first thing you do is look into is who is responsible before you decide you like it, well you're doing it quite loving wrong. To be fair, though, I'm a musician and the score for Moana is just wonderful, not necessarily the lyrical song, and I'm gonna assume there was an actual composer responsible for the majority of it.

Like hating on the music in Moana is on par with The Rock saying the only song he liked is the one he's the lead singer of(You're Welcome), which by any musical definition, is the worst song in the movie. Or, you're being intentionally obtuse, which is inherently American as well as something awful-esque.

Ya know what just gently caress right off if you don't love Moana for it's score alone. Encanto sucked almost as much as the monkey one. Never saw Hamilton, musicals are for idiots.

Ok nice meltdown I know I know

If you think "You're Welcome" is the worst song in Moana you're really not qualified to comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also saying Moana has good music but musicals are for idiots lmao ok buster

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
To be fair, you have to be a pretty high-level musician to appreciate LMM.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I challenge anyone to find a bad song in Vivo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

interwhat posted:

I just want to jump in and say anyone hating on Moana's music is musically not qualified to comment, you're just insane, or just downright daft musically. That being said, all LMMs other projects suck in comparison. To be honest I had no idea he was a significant part of Moana. Music should be appreciated for it's quality, and of the first thing you do is look into is who is responsible before you decide you like it, well you're doing it quite loving wrong. To be fair, though, I'm a musician and the score for Moana is just wonderful, not necessarily the lyrical song, and I'm gonna assume there was an actual composer responsible for the majority of it.

Like hating on the music in Moana is on par with The Rock saying the only song he liked is the one he's the lead singer of(You're Welcome), which by any musical definition, is the worst song in the movie. Or, you're being intentionally obtuse, which is inherently American as well as something awful-esque.

Ya know what just gently caress right off if you don't love Moana for it's score alone. Encanto sucked almost as much as the monkey one. Never saw Hamilton, musicals are for idiots.

This is Wendy's drive-thru sir.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

DandyLion posted:

I challenge anyone to find a bad song in Vivo

they're easy to find just google the track list

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bismuth posted:

im really mad that this movie made me want to make arepas and also that they're extremely easy to make and now im fist fighting my willpower because want to make them every drat day
You have to find Masarepa mix like PAN, not just masa mix.

That said, I made them with maseca masa harina mix and they turned out fluffy and very good. Kids loved them.

interwhat posted:

I just want to jump in and say anyone hating on Moana's music is musically not qualified to comment, you're just insane, or just downright daft musically.
The score is great. The loving lyrical music clashes with it something fierce and I weep for what could have been.

Listening to LMM in We Know The Way is just... :barf:

You'd think A Musician would be able to discern the difference between making GBS threads on another LMM wordrap-stuffed-toomanywords-special vs the score to the film but I didn't graduate from Music Instrument Player Universitude.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 27, 2022

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought Shiny was a good song. :shrug:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Applewhite posted:

To be fair, you have to be a pretty high-level musician to appreciate LMM.

His gimmick is taking the sound and feel of popular music from the last 40 years and writing an "original" song with it. He's not even above lifting entire verses from songs.

What I'm saying is that he's doing the same thing that John Williams has done with orchestra.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

interwhat posted:

:hai:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My dad makes wicked good homemade arepas but he's also really lazy and the frozen ones come out pretty good. The way I was raised to eat them is: stab steaming-hot arepa with a fork many times over, spread with a generous amount of butter and let it melt into the holes. But that's with a plain one, not arepa con queso.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Also if you haven't had a good pupusa, you owe it to yourself to track some down.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

You have to find Masarepa mix like PAN, not just masa mix.

Oh yeah I got the PAN and made some wannabe nata and it was a good time

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

One of my uncles discovered a life hack where you can get infinite pupusas by marrying a salvadoran woman. Worth trying if youre having a difficult time finding pupusas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Welp.

Just finished watching this. As a Chicano, I thought it represented unattainable generational expectations quite accurately amongst a brown family. But the movie. The movie. It sure was a movie.

From the first rapid pace exposition song, I knew I was in for a mediocre treat. The music was bad. Beefy sister’s song didn’t know what genre or tempo it wanted to be, so it was everything and nothing all at once. I don’t get the hype for “We Don’t Talk About Bruno.” Flower sister’s song was the only memorable song for reasons I can’t remember lmao.

The entire premise was weird. The family gets an enchanted casita from a candle because abuelo was killed by men on horseback? At least, that’s what I took from it I don’t know I was barely clinging to life by then and just wanted some answer or something or just a resolution holy poo poo.

A lot of the powers were dumb, too. Seems like the only family members that were actually contributing to the town were beefy and flower sister. Maybe the mom with her healing cooking. The rest were dumb and non-beneficial to the town they were supposed to help. I can talk to animals. I’m an immature shapeshifter. I can hear a villager taking a poo poo on the other side of town. I can control the weather, but am usually seen only with it entirely located above my head. Big loving deal.

The movie was bad. The music was bad. Animation was colorful and gorgeous, and that’s the only thing going for it. 1.5/10