Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
honestly the fact it generated 8 pages of discussion makes it a success in some capacity

a really dumb or lovely movie doesn't inspire this much back-and-forth

EDIT: 9!!! pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Applewhite posted:

It also doesn't teach that lesson what are you on about.

It totally does. It begins by showing us how happy and perfect the Madrigal family seem, having the entire town sing their praises and talk about how they basically sustain everything through their exceptional abilities. The exceptional abilities come from a candle that always sits in plain view and is supposed to represent the will to survive and rebuild, but also represents Alma's memory of the events that led to the establishment of the town, which creates a sustained 24/7 anxiety that it could all fall apart at any moment if anyone stops pushing themselves 100% at all times. The townspeople enhance the anxiety by telling the family that they are the town and they create the stability everyone enjoys; likewise the Madrigals encourage this relationship by inserting themselves into every situation the townspeople have, even if it's just moving some donkeys from point A to B. Everyone is in a really unhealthy relationship because of a shared trauma (the conflict that initially displaced everyone) that brought them all together, but was never really processed emotionally. Because of that, peace feels precarious and the family, Alma especially, can't see Mirabel for what she is; someone who isn't "exceptional" because she didn't subconsciously accept the call to hypervigilence. Bruno is driven out before the events of the story because his gift allowed him to see where the arrangement would ultimately lead while he lacked the frame of reference to see why it would lead there and how it could be changed. His specific vision of doom aggravates Alma's vague sense that everything could fall apart, Mirabel becomes evidence of its possible truth, and a reason for everyone to drive themselves harder, which then increases Mirabel's negative self image. Everyone is integrated into Almas complexes, which have become a guide for living, and since her drive is the sublimated effects of past tragedy, and a fear that it could repeat, proceeding generations' lives and responses to calls for participation in society are shaped by a more abstracted version of that fear and a need to control everything in order to avoid disaster.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 11, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeh Alma basically raised them on the concept it could all disappear at any moment if they didn't work hard enough all the time, creating intense anxiety around trying to maintain the stability or else all else is lost

they lived in such fear of this kind of loss, when it actually happened they cracked like eggs

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i do think it should've been a Disney+ show and then each character could have had an actual arc instead of like, one song and then a quick appearance at the end of the film where they're no longer what their songs are

but considering they've got this self-imposed 'make an animated film every few years' thing at Disney, it's inevitable that some ideas get born that would be better in some other way, but a film needs to happen so it gets crushed into an inadequate format and shipped

but like just imagine all the crazy intrigue you could thread through the episodes with Bruno popping around the walls, Dolores hearing poo poo and sneaking around, each episode we're getting closer & closer to this unknown calamity and trying to figure it out, maybe the candle flame gets a little weaker at the end of every episode.

it's perfect for episodic

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 11, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
These films are also beautiful to see in theatre especially like Dolby and a lot of people really enjoy going to theatre even though I know others don't and many people now have mcmansion theatre rooms

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Encanto as a limited series in the telenovela style :hmmyes:

When I watched the trailers a few months ago they showed all the fantasy sequences that happen during the songs and made me think we were gonna get a Book of Life-style journey but like, idk into the source of each family member's insecurities. I really liked The Book of Life even though I think objectively it's probably not that good

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The framing narrative in The Book of Life is completely unnecessary. Otherwise, it’s a fine film.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mysterious frankie posted:

It totally does. It begins by showing us how happy and perfect the Madrigal family seem, having the entire town sing their praises and talk about how they basically sustain everything through their exceptional abilities. The exceptional abilities come from a candle that always sits in plain view and is supposed to represent the will to survive and rebuild, but also represents Alma's memory of the events that led to the establishment of the town, which creates a sustained 24/7 anxiety that it could all fall apart at any moment if anyone stops pushing themselves 100% at all times. The townspeople enhance the anxiety by telling the family that they are the town and they create the stability everyone enjoys; likewise the Madrigals encourage this relationship by inserting themselves into every situation the townspeople have, even if it's just moving some donkeys from point A to B. Everyone is in a really unhealthy relationship because of a shared trauma (the conflict that initially displaced everyone) that brought them all together, but was never really processed emotionally. Because of that, peace feels precarious and the family, Alma especially, can't see Mirabel for what she is; someone who isn't "exceptional" because she didn't subconsciously accept the call to hypervigilence. Bruno is driven out before the events of the story because his gift allowed him to see where the arrangement would ultimately lead while he lacked the frame of reference to see why it would lead there and how it could be changed. His specific vision of doom aggravates Alma's vague sense that everything could fall apart, Mirabel becomes evidence of its possible truth, and a reason for everyone to drive themselves harder, which then increases Mirabel's negative self image. Everyone is integrated into Almas complexes, which have become a guide for living, and since her drive is the sublimated effects of past tragedy, and a fear that it could repeat, proceeding generations' lives and responses to calls for participation in society are shaped by a more abstracted version of that fear and a need to control everything in order to avoid disaster.

Sir, please, this is a Taco Bell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Encanto Becomes First Soundtrack to Reach No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart in 2 Years, Beating Adele

Popularity is not proof of objective quality in art (whatever that even means) but LOL @ no one is enjoying it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oppression would not be possible without the participation of the oppressed. -Simone DeBuvoir

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But seriously like, y'know, whatever.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Sir, please, this is a Taco Bell.

You summon me with your chicken wings, then complain that I have arrived?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

coronatae posted:

When I watched the trailers a few months ago they showed all the fantasy sequences that happen during the songs and made me think we were gonna get a Book of Life-style journey but like, idk into the source of each family member's insecurities. I really liked The Book of Life even though I think objectively it's probably not that good

The Book of Life is great and I found it to be much more enjoyable than Coco.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
you know it's SA when someone accuses latine folks who identify with encanto with participating in their own oppression

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

you know it's SA when someone accuses latine folks who identify with encanto with participating in their own oppression

it was a joke about how oppressively bad the songs were settle down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yo Applewhite, I want to apologize if my posts made you feel targeted.
Anyway, I think we can all agree the thread was worth all the posts for this:

Applewhite posted:

Oh then Encanto is perfect for you. You're ideally suited to experience LMM the way he's meant to be experienced.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Yo Applewhite, I want to apologize if my posts made you feel targeted.
Anyway, I think we can all agree the thread was worth all the posts for this:

No worries. And yeah that's where I told myself I was going to stop posting ITT and leave on a high note but then completely forgot 2 seconds later lol.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LMM is way, way up his own rear end and that was legit a very funny post

:hfive:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

coronatae posted:

I hated it, and I really didn't expect to. I only saw it once so it's kinda vague now, but I remember feeling displaced by how rapid-fire the editing was, a lot of surface-level usage of pop songs, and thinking someone wrote "strong female character" for the female lead and nothing else. I remember repeatedly asking, "What?! What?!" during the climax because random poo poo kept happening and the cuts were so jarring that I couldn't tell where I was supposed to be.

Which is a shame because I loved the designs and the idea of a god murdering a dude to win a bet was primo story material.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

god murdering a dude to win a bet aka the book of job

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Having Book of Life be a jukebox musical that does not even use that much Spanish music was a hella weird decision, IMO.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot that movie existed

I only remember not loving the style from the trailer but I don't remember why.

Guess I'll watch it

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
As a former 'gifted kid' in a family with an overbearing grandma(and great grandma)/matriarch the movie got to me, because I grew up with every single thing I showed interest/talent in immediately being spun as an expectation that I would excel and be famous/wealthy due to it some day, or being pushed to monetize all my talents/interests instead of just enjoying things on my own. I could never be good at or enjoy anything without my grandmother wondering how I could make money from it, and nitpicking everything I did if it wasnt to her standards. I remember when I was a kid my great grandmother would take away my drawing stuff if I drew stuff she didnt like, like pokemon or something, when I was still just learning. Suffice to say many aspects of Alma's behavior stuck home for me.

You could never guess my grandmother had a very difficult early life and drove both of her children to have serious issues of self worth as well!

Anyway, I liked a lot of Book of Life, and I also really enjoyed the story/characters of Maya and the Three, but they both have the same character designer and there are just certain design elements he really likes to use that make me want to turn the tv off and wash my eyes every time I see them. It reminds me of some of those old 90s/early 00s cartoons that were "ugly on purpose" but wow it isnt fun to behold. I think disney/pixar's style is too smooth in general and I've really been enjoying some of the weirder more stylized 3D animation of the last few years, but there were times I did not want to look at the screen watching MatT

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

seriouspost:

I've been thinking about this post when i went to rewatch and you're right and everyone's gift is basically a superpower version of a coping mechanism/trauma response. Luisa has to bear everyone else's burden is the most explicit but you also have Isabela's need to always be perfect showing up as putting flowers everywhere, bruno's a pessimist who thinks things will always focuses on how things will go wrong, pepa's emotions overwhelm her and make her show them unacceptably and then she feels emotions about feeling emotions (something i relate to as someone on the spectrum), other mom whose name i can't remember cooking great meals AKA being the perfect housewife, and then you have Dolores whose superpower is literally hypervigilance, the shapeshifting guy who adopts others personalities and play pranks.

Its most explicit with antonio since its pointed out by mirabel in the gift scene that he's a huge animal lover and he then gains the power to talk to animals, implying that a person's gift is based on their personality.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I feel the film would have been better if it was just 2 hours of capybara doin thangs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kharnifex posted:

I feel the film would have been better if it was just 2 hours of capybara doin thangs.
You wanna watch LMM for 2 hours go watch Hamilton

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

Mirabel has a Capy Unicorn drawing on her wall

Winged unicorn? Alicorn? AliCapy? Capricorn?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Thats what a capricorn is from now on, makes a lot more sense than whatever the gently caress goat fish thing is in the zodiac

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

seriouspost:

I've been thinking about this post when i went to rewatch and you're right and everyone's gift is basically a superpower version of a coping mechanism/trauma response. Luisa has to bear everyone else's burden is the most explicit but you also have Isabela's need to always be perfect showing up as putting flowers everywhere, bruno's a pessimist who thinks things will always focuses on how things will go wrong, pepa's emotions overwhelm her and make her show them unacceptably and then she feels emotions about feeling emotions (something i relate to as someone on the spectrum), other mom whose name i can't remember cooking great meals AKA being the perfect housewife, and then you have Dolores whose superpower is literally hypervigilance, the shapeshifting guy who adopts others personalities and play pranks.

Its most explicit with antonio since its pointed out by mirabel in the gift scene that he's a huge animal lover and he then gains the power to talk to animals, implying that a person's gift is based on their personality.

If really does come of like it was supposed to be a Sound of Music length epic, then half the movie- the half that had all of the characters expressing themselves through interaction- was whacked off.

One of my favorite details is whenever Mirabel's dad adjusts his behavior or facial expressions so that he mirrors his wife, like he's constantly checking that he presents correctly. I got this sense that, while no malice is ever intended, being closer to the Madrigals than a villager who gawps from afar or gives them tasks to perform is as stressful as being them, because they are always on.

The movie does so little with so much, is what I'm saying.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 12, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All I know is capybara are delicious, so a capybaracorn must be heavenly

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

If really does come of like it was supposed to be a Sound of Music length epic, then half the movie- the half that had all of the characters expressing themselves through interaction- was whacked off.

One of my favorite details is whenever Mirabel's dad adjusts his behavior or facial expressions so that he mirrors his wife, like he's constantly checking that he presents correctly. I got this sense that, while no malice is ever intended, being closer to the Madrigals than a villager who gawps from afar or gives them tasks to perform is as stressful as being them, because they are always on.

The movie does so little with so much, is what I'm saying.

I would love to see what some of the original drafts looked like before it went into rewriting hell

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And since they cut so much they really should have just cut the aunt, uncle, and cousins out entirely and just focused on Mirabel, her sisters, and her grandmother since none of those people had any reason to exist other than to sing a song about how they think Bruno is a piece of poo poo (and Dolores knows he's around to hear it).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Who What Now posted:

And since they cut so much they really should have just cut the aunt, uncle, and cousins out entirely and just focused on Mirabel, her sisters, and her grandmother since none of those people had any reason to exist other than to sing a song about how they think Bruno is a piece of poo poo (and Dolores knows he's around to hear it).
I'll argue that having a large extended family who has individual, often irrational gripes with other branches of the family due to poor communication was extremely on point.

My cousin once sent a birthday letter to my mother, after cousin was banned from talking to my mother by my uncle. He found out and decided to ground cousin for all of senior year, making her miss the class trip and prom.

We don't talk about that uncle anymore.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I hated it, and I really didn't expect to. I only saw it once so it's kinda vague now, but I remember feeling displaced by how rapid-fire the editing was, a lot of surface-level usage of pop songs, and thinking someone wrote "strong female character" for the female lead and nothing else. I remember repeatedly asking, "What?! What?!" during the climax because random poo poo kept happening and the cuts were so jarring that I couldn't tell where I was supposed to be.

Which is a shame because I loved the designs and the idea of a god murdering a dude to win a bet was primo story material.

Cripes I forgot about the strong female character stuff. The thing that makes it stick out in my mind as "movie I liked" is the afterlife bullfight. And the general anti-bullfighting stance. The jukebox musical stuff is suppressed in my mind.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also Onward is good.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If the Mirabel's father was a Madrigal, then her not having powers would have destroyed the family.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

If the Mirabel's father was a Madrigal, then her not having powers would have destroyed the family.

Bruno's son could turn into a fish! Still didn't want to talk about Bruno, though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

SirSamVimes posted:

Also Onward is good.

I liked Onward, but I think it got extra good will because I'm a D&D nerd.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

I liked Onward, but I think it got extra good will because I'm a D&D nerd.

I liked Onward but was disappointed with how flat and empty their world was. I think if they had given the setting the same kind of detail as say, Monsters Inc., it would have been one of Pixar's greats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I was so confused by the ancestry in this, because everyone but the abuela and animal talky kid looked the same age.

So the shapeshifter guy is Bruno's son? Was this mentioned in that cacophonous opening song?