Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

T-minus two hours until games start (and less for the pre-show), excellent.

Kikas posted:

Looking forward to punchys run, but looking through the schedule, I see a lot of new (to me) names. I take it as a sign the scene has grown and the hobby is going strong, very good.
I noted that too - there are a couple ultra-familiar names with half a dozen GDQ's under their belt, but the vast majority of the names are new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I like the time estimates on the Up Next list.
:emptyquote:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

bus hustler posted:

idgaf about incentives like "teabag the dude on level 9" it'll be a big deal if they ever miss a game they have scheduled for 8pm EST

also the daily recap getting earlier each day makes me feel like its all i ever see
There's been a couple of occasions where they ended the previous run well short of meeting the Bonus Game incentive and just blatantly killed time until the incentive got met. So unless they're at like 20% of the goal or something so obvious that they're not meeting it, I'd be surprised if they let a Bonus Game completely miss.

JethroMcB posted:

I'll never forget. Secret of Evermore is one of my top 5 SNES games, and that runner was absolutely dire even ignoring how he unsuccessfully pimped his crappy song for an hour.
That same guy has done Secret of Evermore at a couple other marathons since and wasn't nearly so bad, so FWIW, I think he at least learned from that one.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Someone in the comments on that Uyama article naturally tried to tear him down (because internet and people are jerks) claiming the article said he was the first charity speedrunner (it didn't) and actually there were others. That got me wondering though, other than the effort everyone is willing to put into it every year (which is a VERY BIG "other than") is there a reason this one in particular took off?
Were there other consistent speedrun marathons prior to GDQ?

There's constant speedrunning content now and a speedrunning marathon practically every week somewhere on Twitch now - but just speaking for myself as someone who's played games for decades but mostly just casually, Speed Demos Archive was certainly the first speed-running focused site I'd ever heard of (way back in like...late 2000's probably?) and GDQ was similarly the first marathon I'd heard of (back in like 2011 or so) even though I didn't bother to watch it. And GDQ was definitely the first one I heard of on general gaming news sites like Kotaku.

So maybe SDA and GDQ weren't exactly the very first of their kind; someone else can freely correct me on the History of Speedrunning - but just from where I'm at, it was the first I'd heard of...and I'll bet I'm far from the only one.