Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Prime Hunters reminds me that there were more than a couple of DS/3DS games in mainline Nintendo series that I will simply never play because the controls were so off-putting to me at the time that I didn't even give them a chance

Givin posted:

This is the most powerful lineup this year, with the weakest t-shirt offerings.

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Really wish they’d rerelease Kid Icarus Uprising with dual analogue controls.

Yeah I own it and maybe played it once, but I didn't try committing to it then. Never tried it with the included stand, though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Digging how they're slipping messages in on the timer graphic now and then. Just brief enough that it's not distracting or obnoxious. Solid work, tech team.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I never played Dead Space 2 but I immediately hate seeing Isaac without his helmet

Doubly so since, ah, he's your standard 360-gen crewcut white rear end in a top hat protagonist underneath

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TeaJay posted:

The boss descriptions of X4 still make me laugh.

He lives in
cyberspace
and wants to destroy
the network system

:same:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I love when one player in a four-way race uses a different route and after looking like they've been trailing for a long time they suddenly pull even and nearly sync up with the leaders

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

elentar posted:

the Pumpkin Jack runner must go through like multiple keyboards a month

Finding Forrester strats

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"I'm going to be quiet for a bit to help Jax." and he hits the trick instantly.

This run is loose and loud and fun.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I went and gave 6 units of blood and this thing is still happening

(No complaints really, long runs should be scheduled during the workday EST. I'm looking forward to the Crystal Randomizer tomorrow.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cernunnos posted:

Wait. We missed an incentive? It's pretty rare that that happens. Hope we don't miss out on FF7R:I

$65,023.83 out of $80,000.00 for a blindfolded FFXIII boss fight.

FF7R run is at $57k of $100k. They'll make it. (It's a ways away, it's more high profile than a boss fight in a game that had already been going for 5 hours, and you know Fangamer and/or Yetee will make a donation to bump it up.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Agent355 posted:

I had forgotten.

I was happier before I remembered.

Curse you.

I'll never forget. Secret of Evermore is one of my top 5 SNES games, and that runner was absolutely dire even ignoring how he unsuccessfully pimped his crappy song for an hour.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Dead Rising run ruled, great game, great runner

Internet Kraken posted:

Looking forward to this Dead Rising run. Played a ton of that game as a kid and am curious to see what kind of stuff they do in it.

"as a kid"

It came out after I graduated college :negative:

Blank Construct posted:

What was Lobotomy Chicken?

Secret of Evermore run at AGDQ 2018. The runner had an incentive to perform some dumb song he normally did on his stream, and he hyped it and pushed it relentlessly to the point where he would ignore commenting on the run itself. "Oooo Lobotomy Chicken, ooooo it's gonna be so worth it." The goal was $20k, and it only reached $14k.

I mean, good on him for getting $14k.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Barudak posted:

Thought we were talking about Rule of Rose for a second and that game sucked to the point where I would recommend against a physical copy.

Going way back but I would recommend against a physical copy because they run like $500 these days

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I had to be in a meeting for most of this run, has Argick mentioned how well he can see out of his costume? Because it seems like the answer would be "Not very."

Edit: NEWWWW RECORD!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Too Many Birds posted:

i stepped away for a bit. whats this written apology about.

Shenanigans talked poo poo about Bulbasaur

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Shen over here begging for a mercy kill and instead being told that he needs to battle the secret boss, Gym Leader Phillup Time so they can hit that sweet 900K milestone.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I like Rocket League and I understand that this is impressive movement...but I don't need an hour of this.

haha what posted:

yeah you can check out the previous years compared to this year here

Really weird that donations are way up despite average viewer count seems to be way, way lower than previous years. (Current high was 120k for Crash Team Racing mid-day Monday???)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Internet Kraken posted:

500k is utter insanity and I never remember it being anywhere close to that. The peak I can remember is like 180k viewers.

Yeah, based on that site's chart the all-time record was 250k on the last day of AGDQ 2017...but not for the Super Metroid race or Undertale, but for the tail end of a Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword run???

All the COVID-era GDQs are on the lower end of viewership, counterintuitively. It ain't safe out there, stay home, watch the streams.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Get to the RoR2 factory :cry:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Internet Kraken posted:

I know basically nothing about any Halo game past 3 but from what I've heard the series didn't fare well.

I played 4 and 5 for the first time recently in anticipation of Infinite. They both have solid, enjoyable campaigns that are flawed in their own ways. The real issue with the series post-Bungie is that 343 has never found a narrative thread they're really happy with. As a result, both 4 and 5 have "Wow, this new threat is stopped for now, but Master Chief is going to have a hard time ending it once and for all" endings and both 5 and Infinite open with "That old threat? It's bullshit, we took care of it off-camera, nobody cares about it anymore, there's something WAY worse going on now."

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Infinite is supposedly good!

Infinite is VERY good, gameplay-wise. I still had some issues with the narrative but if this is really going to be the platform for the next decade of Halo games, it's a very solid foundation.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Indecisive posted:

halo run is predictably a snorefest

I disagree, that was a very fun run to watch run. A nice mix of solid gameplay and wild OOB skips/bug manipulation

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Main theme of this game sounds like a 90's west coast hip-hop beat that just won't start

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Indecisive posted:

oh cool so his girlfriend is the whip now thats a cool + normal plot point

PS3 Bionic Commando devs: "Oh yeah this is good stuff"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Do I have to pop a Faygo during his run?

woop woop

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"This is our FIRST major reset point" he says 24 minutes into a 3 hour estimate run.

God bless the speedrunners, they have a patience beyond anything I know.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was paying attention for the first hour of this but my attention was diverted after that, I key back in and we're busting down a warehouse door with four guys on a forklift. So, typical Yakuza game.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
As an Elder Millennial, YuGiOh was already a bunch of loud nonsense to me as a high schooler, but I assume this run is purestrain nostalgia catnip to people 7-15 years younger than me

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
lol very deserving of the "That's NEVER Happened Before" message on the timer graphic

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
RIP succumbed to his own energy

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's that obnoxious "OUR friend group is the funniest, OUR in-jokes are true comedy, THIS should be a podcast" energy

...and I'll be damned, it's kind of working for me.

Also SMB3DL rules.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
why would you do this to yourself

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"And he's coming up on a break here, which means we've got time for a donation!"
[Four hold steps that last less than 3 seconds, then the step chart goes right back to 198 BPM]

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DanielCross posted:

"Estimate: O_O"

Update: I CAN'T EVEN

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Very funny that the bonus game incentive came down to the wire earlier but they introduce "pet a fake dog once for every $3k" and they've raised $55 in an hour as a result

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Extremely fitting that the fastest way to move in Uncharted is to be blindly firing your pistol at all times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJO5jhIKaX0

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 15, 2022

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Did he pet the yak

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
So it's come to this: Less than 10 runs left

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My phone notification sound used to be the Earthbound achievement jingle. I'm having a Pavlovian response every time this guy encounters it.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm watching the Crystal run before the Earthbound run starts, and it's probably the most chill run I've ever seen on a GDQ. Especially near the end, just dunking on Shenanagans for the Bulbasaur comment has been amazing. :allears:

Pokemon runs feel like a 2-3 hour hangout session where popular streamers weaponize their viewerbase for donations and I enjoy it

Mal-3 posted:

And there's two million. Now the question becomes: will the last day hard takeoff be enough to defeat the final incentives?

Probably.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Aidan_702 posted:

Only 8 games left after this, is this on track to beat the previous record? I can’t find the source of that donation chart people are posting

https://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq-comparison-uplot/

If we see the usual flurry of donations in the early evening/primetime hours, possibly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Had no idea this is what the Any% strategy was, absolutely incredible