Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

This is the first time I've seen a live marathon run from Hotarubi. He has this mystique in speedrunning like an ancient one. Like he made the Rosetta stone of speedrunning. I never even imagined he'd be doing a run at a GDQ. If this is what online contributions can bring to GDQ I think it should be allowed even during live events.

The stepmania NotITG run also supports allowing online runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

:aaaaa:

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Kestral posted:

It's also worth noting that he's doing all this in green tunic, getting more than grazed by these later bosses will vaporize him.

It looks like taking damage even without a death would be a big time waste considering how many of these manipulations require swordbeam.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

That was loving awesome.

Hotarubi just adds to his legendary status with that showing.

TGM 20g is used as a practice mode, this is gonna be a breeze for the runner.
To beat TGM regularly you still have to do 500 20g levels. Doing 20g from the start is just like doing 2 GMs in one game basically.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Mike Uyama was interviewed for the Washington Post. I always love his origin story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/01/13/games-done-quick-agdq-sgdq-mike-uyama-speedrunning-gaming-charity/

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

No way there was a successful charity speedrunning marathon prior to CGDQ, and if there was, it had to have been on a smaller scale.

EDIT: ok I found a short informative book by Eric Koziel (Omnigamer, aka the guy that proved Dragster couldn't be done as fast as Todd Rogers said it could). Here is an excerpt that shows there WERE charity speedrun marathons prior to GDQ, and that is what inspired Uyama to get him and the rest of the SDA crew involved. (The book also talks about the Desert Bus charity marathon I mentioned in the unedited post)

quote:

The following year, a group calling itself The Speed Gamers (TSG)
borrowed the marathon concept and gave it a speedrun-oriented
spin. In March 2008, they hosted the  rst speedrun-oriented
marathon in support of charity. Speci cally, the event played
through every main Zelda title within 72 hours while raising funds
for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. They would go on to
host 7 more marathons with di erent themes throughout 2008,
and kept up the pace in 2009. Though the events were successful,
the general audience for streams was fairly small. The concept of
streamed games, let alone streamed marathon events of games,
was still too new to attract viral attention.

In mid-2009, the marathon phenomenon was gaining notoriety
among the users at Speed Demos Archive. In particular, user and
site administrator Mike Uyama took to formalizing the myriad ideas
of other users and defining the structure and timing of an SDAoriented marathon
source: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0014/1962/files/SpeedrunScience-010518_4e78a515-1852-4daf-ad5f-3f870cd569a8.pdf

The one that people might remember, and the one that Uyama and other GDQ founders and workers used to talk about was Desert Bus: the charity marathon where people would take turns playing the same file of Desert Bus while people did skits and dances and stuff for charity.

For a few years Desert Bus was considered the highest earning gaming marathon for charity, but that didn't last. Still, that's the one that people talked about during the first few GDQs.

The reason the GDQs are more successful is obvious. It's because of the speedruns. They are such good performances that the event goes beyond a wonderful gathering to fundraise and turns it into gaming's version of Live Aid.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm pretty sure the name "Games Done Quick" is a play off of "Quake Done Quick," a popular recam of a run from the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24izUSj1xY

(It's a cool video in its own right, with some neat tech)

I think the SDA started with those, along with some Doom WAD speedruns.

Also from Omnigamer's short book (linked in above post)

quote:

The <name> Done Quick moniker was carried over from the
early Quake Done Quick projects.