Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

"Luke is the best bush pilot in the outer rim territories." Biggs said, bigly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

"Biggs bigly said" was right there

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That explains why Chewie didn't get one.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Lmao

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Robot Style posted:

This was explicitly the case in earlier drafts, and it was originally designed with room for more crew (a pilot, two gunners, and an astromech).

In the second draft, Luke flies one of these instead of an X-wing, and doesn't even make the killing shot at all - it's actually Threepio in the gunner's seat whose robotic brain is advanced enough to make the necessary calculations - the Force doesn't even factor into it.

I bet even if he had they still wouldn't give medals to the non-humans

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cerv posted:

I bet even if he had they still wouldn't give medals to the non-humans

Threepio has enough of it already

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://starwrongs.ytmnd.com/

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"Luke! Luke! Wake up you rear end in a top hat!"
"What? What is it? The last thing I remember, I turned off my targetting computer and blew up the Death Star."
"You turned off your alarm computer, idiot! You missed the run! Porkins blew up the Death Star."

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
"Luke, you go right back there and walk that torpedo into the exhaust port if you have to!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I heard they were doing genocide on alderan anyway who cares

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

indigi posted:

I heard they were doing genocide on alderan anyway who cares

One of the books had an Imperial character from Alderaan, and when the planet was blown up his crewmates were like "wow, this must be the worst day of his life... finding out his entire planet was terrorists? Hopefully we got them all."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Robot Style posted:

One of the books had an Imperial character from Alderaan, and when the planet was blown up his crewmates were like "wow, this must be the worst day of his life... finding out his entire planet was terrorists? Hopefully we got them all."

lmbo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Has Luke ever done anything without the force?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Him and Han break Leia out of space-jail when he's still a country bumpkin.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Robot Style posted:

One of the comics from an Imperial perspective had an Alderaanian character (might be the same source) who doubled down on his loyalty to the empire afterwards because surely his homeworld must have deserved it and thinking otherwise would be admitting he joined the wrong side.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pretty sure he frenched Leia without the Force.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In theory, he was fine at bullseyeing whomp rats back on Tattooine, and from that standpoint it makes sense that maybe he could just get rid of some extra piece of gear distracting him and complicating things, and just use the abilities he knows he has.

There's also a theory that force-sensitive people just have it active all the time and going as a bonus helping them in everything they do, with the added implication that probably most people who are really good at something in Star Wars may have some undiagnosed, untrained latent force sensitivity. I think that's what KOTOR 2 was trying to imply. But then KOTOR 2 had some real bad ideas about the Force.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Luke was abusing the Force to murder rodents as a child. That’s a lot of Dark Side points to tally up.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

josh04 posted:

Him and Han break Leia out of space-jail when he's still a country bumpkin.

I think that was Bigger Luke, not Regular Luke, so it doesn't count

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I know the thread is "Lol, what if?!" but a lot of early to mid 70's cinema ended badly for the protagonists. Going in to see it the first time in '77 you could legitimately feel there was a chance he was going to fail. Having the hero win was different enough from the formula to help make the movie a hit.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 29, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

In theory, he was fine at bullseyeing whomp rats back on Tattooine, and from that standpoint it makes sense that maybe he could just get rid of some extra piece of gear distracting him and complicating things, and just use the abilities he knows he has.

There's also a theory that force-sensitive people just have it active all the time and going as a bonus helping them in everything they do, with the added implication that probably most people who are really good at something in Star Wars may have some undiagnosed, untrained latent force sensitivity. I think that's what KOTOR 2 was trying to imply. But then KOTOR 2 had some real bad ideas about the Force.

i don't think you need to reach for kotor 2 to get the idea that luke was preternaturally good at flying because he's force sensitive.

four words:

"now THIS is podracing!"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Darth Brooks posted:

I know the thread is "Lol, what if?!" but a lot of early to mid 70's cinema ended badly for the protagonists. Going in to see it the first time in '77 you could legitimately feel there was a chance he was going to fail. Having the hero win was different enough from the formula to help make the movie a hit.

Yeah, you should see the deleted extended scene of Han trying to impress Leia with his old timey bicycle tricks. The '70s were a weird time in film making.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid felt like a movie written in reverse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Y'all think Biggs coulda landed the shot, without the bullshit space jesus power? I do.

Maybe put the veteran flier in charge of the final attack with the hick kid flying sacrificial defense.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 2, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He was a farm boy whining about power converters without the Force.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What is a womp and why are these rats associated with it? Do they scurry around adding impromptu comedy sound effects to others activities when they aren't chewing through cables?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You're thinking of womp-womp rats. These ones just like the bass.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Caidin posted:

What is a womp and why are these rats associated with it? Do they scurry around adding impromptu comedy sound effects to others activities when they aren't chewing through cables?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Caidin posted:

Based on the wookipedia article nobody ever thought to ask what a Womp was. Maybe some dude named Womp was raising them and the name caught on.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Forget the name, nobody can even agree on what they look like.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SlothfulCobra posted:

KotOR2 was implying (and by imply, I mean outright says) that force-users depend on it, and if you take it away from them, they're worse off if they never had it at all. They spell it out for you.

quote:

"Yes, and what are they without the Force? Take the greatest Jedi Knight, strip away the Force, and what remains? They rely on it, depend on it, more than they know. Watch as one tries to hold a blaster, as they try to hold a lightsaber, and you will see nothing more than a woman – or a man. A child."

In summary, KotOR2 is great because the Force is dumb.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

KOTOR 2 definitely makes sense when talking strictly about Video Games, but it doesn't really work in the broader context of how the Force works in the rest of the series (though games have definitely influenced how the Force is usually treated these days).

The Force as originally depicted comes from a lot of the New Age teachings that were popular when Lucas was developing the movie, so it's more of a marketable explanation for people's natural intuition, luck, and empathy rather than a stat buff that's layered on top of them. Kreia's certainly right that taking the Force away from someone would make them next to useless, but that's because it's like asking someone to suddenly regulate their own breathing, blinking, and hearbeat 100% of the time.

So Kreia's right, the Force is dumb, but unfortunately she's stuck living in a world created by Lucas' vulnerability to hucksterism and her desire to do away with it completely is going to have some bad consequences (which it should - she is a Sith Lord).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That explanation really only holds for the first movie, even by Empire it's already including telekinesis and super jumps. Plus, KotOR was also made post-prequels and at that point it's definitely just a full array of video game super powers.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the fact that nobody told Rian Johnson that he couldn’t have Leia spontaneously reanimate then fly through space like Superman is so interesting to me

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Liam Neeson only died because Obi-Wan forgot that his powers included super-speed, you can do whatever you want with the force, it's just another word for magic.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Liam Neeson only died because Obi-Wan forgot that his powers included super-speed, you can do whatever you want with the force, it's just another word for magic.

yeah but you need to be good at it to use multiple things at once, you get tired and he’d just done a Super Jump. plus Obi had to keep his prescience up in case Maul tried a ranged attack and he didn’t have enough mana to activate super speed. he was still just a padawan a few days before.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Defiance Industries posted:

Whenever you notice something like that, a wizard didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

indigi posted:

the fact that nobody told Rian Johnson that he couldn’t have Leia spontaneously reanimate then fly through space like Superman is so interesting to me

That whole scene was uncomfortable to watch because it looked terrible and also it was like, "Leia's dead, but it was just a fakeout, she's alive after all (no she's really dead in RL)"

I understand that deadlines and budgets are often an insurmountable obstacle but i feel like a rewrite that kills off Leia when vented into space would have taken the trilogy in an interesting direction.