Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was an awkward situation, which is why if I become a famous actor I will make sure that I never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It would even make more sense if the remaining 'resistance" fighters couldn't get anyone to come help them in the besieged cave base because the famous hero is Dead and they can't coast on her high level connections anymore

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

It was an awkward situation, which is why if I become a famous actor I will make sure that I never die.

Carrie Fisher's final tweets are either some kind of bizarre prophecy, or the CGI Leia from Rogue One and Rise of Skywalker became self aware too early.

Is your body decaying and death marching ever closer? Are the sands of time so cruel they should be arrested and sent to a cardiac beach? Get CGI, perspective, and deal with it.
https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/811620111752663040?s=20&t=tRYMynJkBJT_p1JO5cy78A

"People have aged so much, you can't even get them to do motion capture" - as though these folks are disobedient.
Auditions are held. Gary didn't get cast.

https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/811659459307061249?s=20&t=gQX-PwHX8gS5xyly4aW-hw

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Those are some nutso tweets :smith:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the studio system kept it pretty quiet but carrie Fischer had some mental health issues.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? You overestimate their chances

See?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Petty Officer Reynolds never lived it down. 'Oh you think we're losing men down in the trash compactor? Aren't you the guy who thought those yavin scum were going to blast us all to kingdom come with their twelve X Wings and a smuggling freighter? How many tie fighters did we deploy that day? Please. Remind me."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

reignofevil posted:

Petty Officer Reynolds

Can you believe everyone used to have to call this guy "Darth"? I mean really?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Darth Brooks posted:

I know the thread is "Lol, what if?!" but a lot of early to mid 70's cinema ended badly for the protagonists. Going in to see it the first time in '77 you could legitimately feel there was a chance he was going to fail. Having the hero win was different enough from the formula to help make the movie a hit.
Really? you think there was a chance that the guy who follows The Heros Journey to a T could have ever possibly failed?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Silent Running was a direct precursor to Star Wars. The movie ended with the hero committing suicide and sending the last forest on Earth into deep space. The Planet of the Apes movies ended with the end of all life on Earth. Soylent Green ended with the here shouting out to the surrounding crowd, "Soylent Green is people!" At the end of A Boy and his Dog the hero murders the female lead and feeds her to his dog. At the end of the Stepford Wives the heroine learns to imitated the mindless robotic wives of the town.

So, pretty dire. And that's just Sci-Fi. It's not counting Crazy Larry and Dirty Mary where the leads all die in a train wreck, The Great Waldo Pepper, where you realize that the airplane he's flying is too damaged to land, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid and Little Fauss and Big Halsy, which ends badly at the end for the hero.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Darth Brooks posted:

Silent Running was a direct precursor to Star Wars. The movie ended with the hero committing suicide and sending the last forest on Earth into deep space. The Planet of the Apes movies ended with the end of all life on Earth. Soylent Green ended with the here shouting out to the surrounding crowd, "Soylent Green is people!" At the end of A Boy and his Dog the hero murders the female lead and feeds her to his dog. At the end of the Stepford Wives the heroine learns to imitated the mindless robotic wives of the town.

So, pretty dire. And that's just Sci-Fi. It's not counting Crazy Larry and Dirty Mary where the leads all die in a train wreck, The Great Waldo Pepper, where you realize that the airplane he's flying is too damaged to land, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid and Little Fauss and Big Halsy, which ends badly at the end for the hero.
and did any of these movies feature a baby-in-a-basket meeting a wizard and a princess within the first 20 minutes?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

god dammit wormy. you had a clear shot. what the gently caress

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Did anyone know or care much about the heroes journey pre-star wars outside of academia

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Uh. Uuuuh. Chewy? Punch it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Luuke would never have hosed this up, wouldn't ya buddy?

gonk!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Feldegast42 posted:

Did anyone know or care much about the heroes journey pre-star wars outside of academia

People like Robert E. Howard and Jerry Siegal had at least an innate understanding of it. Yes

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

People like Robert E. Howard and Jerry Siegal had at least an innate understanding of it. Yes

what about the general movie going public

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

War and Pieces posted:

Alright Mr Campbell, get back in your coffin.

Feldegast42 posted:

what about the general movie going public

Lucas popularised it for sure, they put Luke Skywalker on the cover of it after Lucas cited it as an inspiraton.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Great shot kid.

That was nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine in a million

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Turns out Luke's cockpit was filling with CO2 and he was hallucinating Ben.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"Luke, you switched off your life support computer! What's wrong?"
"Nothing. I'm all right."

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

indigi posted:

the fact that nobody told Rian Johnson that he couldn’t have Leia spontaneously reanimate then fly through space like Superman is so interesting to me

It's been 5 loving years get over it.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

War and Pieces posted:

Not really.

Conan's stories were written out of order, Rob wrote the one where he was a King first, then wrote everything else out of order.

Jerry Siegal...the only similarity between Supes and Hero Of A Thousand Faces is that Supes is a hero.

Edit: Even the Hero's Journey doesn't really work as written. Many, many ancient Mythological stories don't fit the "structure" as written, and it is obvious that the author was just pulling poo poo out of his rear end, and got lucky when George read it. The Epic Of Gilgamesh straight up has him lose at the end. Adding to the idea that Audiences probably expected Luke to die horribly in a imperial prison!

TheNamedSavior fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 20, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And that the first Conan story, "The Phoenix in the Sword" was a reworking of an unpublished Kull story* he had been working on.

*The unpublished (at the time) Kull story also had the greatest title in the history of the written word: "By This Axe I Rule!"

:black101:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

"wait, did you just say 'do not' is an option? What the gently caress dude why did you not tell me before?? Man, gently caress this humid-rear end place."
*hitches a lift back to tatooine, hops in T16 and goes womp rat bullseyeing*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You could have not tried a little harder than that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Luke crashes into the side of the hanger in Yavin trying to take off because he hasn't been to flight school yet

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's just like shooting womp rats back home! (luke has never hit a womp rat in his life)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Owen Lars sighs as he slips another frozen womp rat corpse out onto the sand from behind the rock he's waiting by. "Another bullseye kid! You'll make a great pilot someday, just like your dad!"

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

josh04 posted:

Owen Lars sighs as he slips another frozen womp rat corpse out onto the sand from behind the rock he's waiting by. "Another bullseye kid! You'll make a great pilot someday, just like your dad!"

Sadly the Womps were the family next door.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Bigger Luke, you've turned off your slightly more accurate targeting computer

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What is the deal with Luke's skyhopper anyways? Did it have any use for moisture farming, or was it just a cheap craft for Luke to play around with?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ikanreed posted:

Bigger Luke, you've turned off your slightly more accurate targeting computer

targeting compuuter

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

What is the deal with Luke's skyhopper anyways? Did it have any use for moisture farming, or was it just a cheap craft for Luke to play around with?

Tatooine equivalent of an old junker car that you drive from the farm to the store and back

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tatooine equivalent of an old junker car that you drive from the farm to the store and back

They never show it on camera, but he's actually got three more parked up on concrete blocks out in the front sand.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Arrhythmia posted:

Luke crashes into the side of the hanger in Yavin trying to take off because he hasn't been to flight school yet

josh04 posted:

Luke never got to go to the Academy not because Owen really needed him on the farm, or because he was trying to keep him from being discovered by Vader, but because he knew he'd utterly fail to ever be a pilot, and it would crush him.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
:wom: prat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wormy lyfe