Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've never seen an alpha system myself. do any of the vintage hardware folks around here have one? what were they like to use? what was good and bad? what were they good at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont know.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i hope that helped, op/

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fart what the hell are you an ik of?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's DEC's least interesting ISA but you could run Windows NT on it which was neat. it was a 64-bit RISC that they were hoping to make competitive for 20+ years but then DEC ran out of money and got bought by Compaq who promptly went all-in on Itanium (lmao) and killed Alpha off. this kind of pissed microsoft off because unlike the Itanium it was actually possible to write software for Alpha and run it on real hardware that you could just buy and plug in.

in a time when ARM was all 32-bit low power designs and 64-bit POWER didn't exist yet it was a 64-bit machine that checked the RISC boxes on the wave-of-the-future checklist, was from a big name in the minicomputer world, and had a VMS port as well as DEC's own Mach and BSD derived Unix and the aforementioned Windows NT port

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Armitag3 posted:

cspam eurasia thread thanks for asking

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what were Alpha systems mostly used for? high-end workstations, or servers?

Kazinsal posted:

it's DEC's least interesting ISA

what would you say was their most interesting ISA?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hi op

I don’t know anything either but I found this helpful link that should answer all your questions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean yeah but i was kinda hoping to get some first-hand stories or maybe even a cool picture from one of the yosposters who keeps old hardware around

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only crap yospos packrats keep around is also-ran commodity garbage like macs or amigas

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you think yospos has ewaste hoarders? get real

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you can see my posts it means u are using ewaste.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaggar posted:

if you can see my posts it means u are using ewaste.

reading it, too

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

my dec is pretty alpha iykwim

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyway pretty good thread op. trying to decide what to rate it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
op, the dec alpha has a fully weak memory ordering model which requires read barriers on atomic loads of objects even if all the subsequent loads from the object are value-dependent on the loaded pointer. intriguingly, it is my understanding that the weakness of the alpha's memory ordering model is purely theoretical, and all shipping alpha hardware in fact uses a stronger model which does guarantee that dependent loads will be properly ordered. nonetheless, because this is not architecturally guaranteed, any lock-free code must ensure that it uses proper barriers around atomic loads if it is ever ported to alpha. in principle, systems programming languages such as c and c++ would allow programmers to clearly state their requirements and then compile it optimally for the given platform, potentially avoiding load barriers when compiling for systems other than the alpha. unfortunately, inventing a sound formal definition of the concept of value-dependence that still admits reasonable optimizations in code that may not even be aware of the fact that it's carrying a dependency on an atomic load has proven to be an exceptionally tricky problem. even now, a full ten years after the introduction of atomics to c and c++, many compilers do not compile the so-called "consume" memory ordering optimally. this problem would be entirely defined away if processors were instead as overtly hostile as the theoretical but not actual memory ordering model of the dec alpha, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah kaz should find some amfetamines and go to town writing about ISAs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rjmccall posted:

op, the dec alpha has a fully weak memory ordering model which requires read barriers on atomic loads of objects even if all the subsequent loads from the object are value-dependent on the loaded pointer. intriguingly, it is my understanding that the weakness of the alpha's memory ordering model is purely theoretical, and all shipping alpha hardware in fact uses a stronger model which does guarantee that dependent loads will be properly ordered. nonetheless, because this is not architecturally guaranteed, any lock-free code must ensure that it uses proper barriers around atomic loads if it is ever ported to alpha. in principle, systems programming languages such as c and c++ would allow programmers to clearly state their requirements and then compile it optimally for the given platform, potentially avoiding load barriers when compiling for systems other than the alpha. unfortunately, inventing a sound formal definition of the concept of value-dependence that still admits reasonable optimizations in code that may not even be aware of the fact that it's carrying a dependency on an atomic load has proven to be an exceptionally tricky problem. even now, a full ten years after the introduction of atomics to c and c++, many compilers do not compile the so-called "consume" memory ordering optimally. this problem would be entirely defined away if processors were instead as overtly hostile as the theoretical but not actual memory ordering model of the dec alpha, op

i’m jealous of people who understand this poo poo

maybe I should just play TIS-100 or Shenzen IO some
more

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

rjmccall posted:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a dependent load is what your dad called you!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
in the late 90’s I worked at a company that had mostly linux servers. we had a big hairy c++ application that would take like 10 minutes to compile on our beefiest linux server (dual processor x86). but then we got a couple of alpha servers on loan from compaq. they had more ram than any puny intel chip could handle. they ran at something like 800 mhz, which was twice the clock speed of our fastest x86s. they ran OSF/tru64, which was not a pile of garbage like linux 2.2 (lol). our app was ported to it. it would compile in about a minute, which was a mind blowing performance difference. it made me do most of my work in the alphas even though their compiler (cxx) was very picky and annoying.

in conclusion, alpha was fast and good, probably the best of the big RISC processors of the era. rip to a real one.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what were Alpha systems mostly used for? high-end workstations, or servers?

both really, the first series of Alpha hardware (DEC 3000 AXP) shipped in both workstation and server variants (indicated by a trailing S on the model number), where the differentiator was whether they included a TURBOchannel video card and were pre-set to boot to a serial console or video/keyboard/mouse console

they didn’t even ship distinct manual sets, instead you’d get a manual set for “DEC AXP 3000 Model 400/400S” (this is what I have)

Alpha was the first CPU to push speeds into the hundreds of MHz a couple years before its competitors, though that didn’t necessarily translate to that much of a performance advantage given the simplicity of its instructions even relative to other RISC systems

Alpha also supported very large memory on workstations for the time, which is why the first ones I saw were being used for things like computational chemistry; I have a model 400 in the maximum configuration at 512MB, while the floorstanding 500 (introduced at the same time) supports up to 1GB

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've never seen an alpha system myself. do any of the vintage hardware folks around here have one? what were they like to use? what was good and bad? what were they good at?

I have several, though not a lot of pics

here’s my DEC 3000 AXP Model 400, from the first series of Alpha workstations and servers, booted into OpenVMS 7.1 as a workstation

I also have a couple of AlphaStation systems, an AlphaServer 1000A, and an adorable little AlphaServer DS10e which I finally got a video card for so it can be used as a workstation

as for what they were like to use, they were “just” a workstation, but compared to their contemporaries they felt really loving fast

what was more unique about them was that DECwindows was a complete environment very early on (pre-CDE) and reasonably productivity-focused so it even had tools like a paint app and DEC even made a MacWrite clone (DECwrite)

DECwindows started life on the VAXstation workstations, but was kept high-level and built for both VMS and Ultrix on them and so was easy to bring to the MIPS and then Alpha lines too, and DEC really thought they’d be able to put X terminals on the desks of non-technical staff to run productivity software instead of using PCs, which wasn’t that insane when PCs were also a couple grand each and ran DOS and the idea of a network was new, but by 1992 the writing was on the wall

it still meant that OEMs using things like an Alpha workstation or server as a PostScript rasterizer for phototypesetting would actually build monitoring applications that fit into the environment, instead of having their own wacky interface. that’s what my 400 was used for before I got it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

These utilities are very processor intensive. Here at id, we share a four processor alpha 4/275 for all map processing. The final levels in quake take about 15-20 minutes each to fully process, which means that on a pentium 90 it would probably take about 2 1/2 hours. Obviously not something you want to do very often.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool thread

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I need to set it up again and install the fancy ZLX-series 3D card, it has an i860 on it!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i think i saw an unused alpha server sitting in the floor one, i have a vague recollection that it was some shade of light blue

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i find the alpha weirdly uninteresting in practice, since it was so influential that the cooler parts of it are now ubiquitous anyway. compare e.g. the VAX which looks pretty insane by todays standards.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i find the alpha weirdly uninteresting in practice, since it was so influential that the cooler parts of it are now ubiquitous anyway. compare e.g. the VAX which looks pretty insane by todays standards.

go on about VAX architecture plz

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah if a mod wants to amend the thread title to "show/tell me about dec [stuff]" i'm cool w/ that

eschaton posted:

[good post]

thanks!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Through my work I used to have a pile of DEC Alpha hardware, right up to the rebranded as Compaq workstations. Got rid of them around 15 years ago, as they were either dying, or just massive power hogs and Linux support was drying up for the CPU.

They were cool back in the day, and the workplace used to use them for a lot of our back end systems. I wish I held onto a couple of the DEC workstations, but there you go.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
important question: in the heyday of 90's, in-your-face extreme ads, did they ever market it as like "intel can suck my DEC" or something???

real alpha poo poo right there

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Armitag3 posted:

farting out posts mainly

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

circa like 1999 in an internship i built a bioinformatics webapp that farmed out compute to a few alpha 21164 machines. the alpha machines were stripped from a couple crappy disk servers that were flaky and unusable, and they let me use them for this project instead

at least at the time, the alphas were better at floating point performance than x86, although that gap closed toward the late 90s anyway. and every bio search algorithm was basically a dynamic programming problem dealing in lots of super small floating point numbers.

i just ran red hat 6 on there so it wasn't anything really special or different from my perspective trying to run stuff on it.

really the thing that was more of a curiosity to me at the time was digging a PC out of the storage closet and finding it was running NeXTSTEP

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

important question: in the heyday of 90's, in-your-face extreme ads, did they ever market it as like "intel can suck my DEC" or something???

Intel was a maker of little toy 32 bit processors for babies running windows. nobody thought of them as competition for real workstations and servers, they were busy competing against sparc (sun), power (ibm), mips (sgi), and hppa (hp).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hp did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh4uVJduI

you have to wonder who the target demographic for this was, as these were workstations that cost thousands (or 10s of thousands) of 1990s us dollars and were mainly sold to companies where everyone wore a tie. then again, it probably really stood out in a sea of the typical business-to-business sales presentations that consisted of some stuffed shirt reading a checklist of product points in a monotone voice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

hp did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh4uVJduI

you have to wonder who the target demographic for this was, as these were workstations that cost thousands (or 10s of thousands) of 1990s us dollars and were mainly sold to companies where everyone wore a tie. then again, it probably really stood out in a sea of the typical business-to-business sales presentations that consisted of some stuffed shirt reading a checklist of product points in a monotone voice

holy poo poo lol thats a sight to beholden

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wish I could find the Huey Lewis knockoff song called “Power of Sun” but I think it must have been memory holed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you want to see a really weird and cool architecture, check out the PDP-8

the personal computer revolution could have been twelve-bit

from the quick reference card:

code:
AND      0000  logical AND                         2.6
TAD      1000  2's complement add                  2.6
ISZ      2000  increment and skip if zero          2.6
DCA      3000  deposit and clear AC                2.6
JMS      4000  jump to subroutine                  2.6
JMP      5000  jump                                1.2
IOT      6000  in-out transfer                     ---
OPR      7000  operate                             1.2

_0___1___2_ _3_ _4_ _5___6___7___8___9___10__11
|           |   |   |                           |
|OP CODE 0-5| IA| MP|          ADDRESS          |
|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
              |   | |            PAGE           |
              |   |  --->  RELATIVE ADDRESS <---
              |   |
               ----------- INDIRECT ADDRESSING
                  |         0 = DIRECT
                  |         1 = INDIRECT
                  |
                   ------- MEMORY PAGE
                            0 = PAGE ZERO
                            1 = CURRENT PAGE

Memory Reference Instruction Bit Assignments
that’s it, that’s the instruction set

(OPR does a hell of a lot of heavy lifting but still not as much as you might think, it’s extremely RISC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it’s like a couple hours to write a PDP-8 emulator in C, it’s awesome