Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Grand Fromage posted:

"Researching in my mind" may be my favorite Alex phrase. Incredible.

Same. My favorite quotes from the deposition are
Brad: "Mr. Jones, do you know what question you were answering?"
AJ: "The question wasn't delivered clearly."
Brad: "I thought so."

I shacked up with these guys after the Jan 6 episodes, which really dug into how lovely the IW operation is. Harrison is declaring victory on a live show with Alex on the ground and Alex comes in as soon as he can to try to redesign the narrative. It's the most frantic and attentive I've ever heard him be. And of course it doesn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

#378 is great too, this is the one where they cover three depositions and one of them is the guy who's being deposed as the corporate representative of Free Speech Systems LLC, but he doesn't seem to understand what this means at all. Doesn't understand what he's meant to do there.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The lawyer mentioned, in his interview with Dan and Jordan, that HBO was there recording. Anyone knows what they’re up to in this context?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I was under the impression that Dan was a practicing attorney and that this was his hobby?

Daria is far scarier potentially than Alex. If you take her testimony at face value her position is:

“That can’t be a dead child in the casket because someone killing children at a school would be horrible so it could not have happened. Therefore I will fight against anyone saying those children actually died or even existed and I will use any source or tactic to win because I must be right. Any evidence to the contrary is simply to be ignored because it must be false.”

Her insistence that all other biographical information about that one source must be false because there is one bio that she likes and agrees with her is a good example of how this outlook works in practice.

That source was not credible and does not really have any special knowledge of the Sandy Hook shootings and any actual examination of him shows that. However, because he says he is an expert and he says he has credentials and what he is saying is what she wants to hear then that’s good enough and Infowars had no responsibility to vet him or verify his information.

The bio she likes turns out to have been written by someone who contributed to a book claiming Sandy Hook was fake. The most suspect source you could use.

This is the rights, “I did my research” meme and applied to a 10 year assault of the victims of a horrific event.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thanks, SA, for turning me onto this show. I'd never heard of it.

I couldn't listen to it every day but it's a cool change of pace from a lot of the podcasts I enjoy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

I was under the impression that Dan was a practicing attorney and that this was his hobby?

Nope, just a stand-up comic who happens to be the largest non-crazy repository of information on the Infowars Extended Universe.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I've been listening my way through the back catalog, and it's so clear how Alex has had his worst behavior reinforced throughout his entire life. First his violence and rage filled impulses we're reinforced by lovely texan culture, then his radio show.

He told a story about his parents liberal friends being scared away from a dinner party because Alex casually walked through with a gun. He doesn't seem able to connect that to the many times he claims to have gotten into fights or given over to blackout rage.

Also, is it just me or is Alex incapable of making a "v" sound? It's just b or double-b

Cat Puke fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 29, 2022

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nope, just a stand-up comic who happens to be the largest non-crazy repository of information on the Infowars Extended Universe.

Dan should get some kind of honorary PhD in anthropology or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cat Puke posted:

I've been listening my way through the back catalog, and it's so clear how Alex has had his worst behavior reinforced throughout his entire life. First his violence and rage filled impulses we're reinforced by lovely texan culture, then his radio show.

As I said in the QAnon thread that led me here, certain behaviours that would definitely be considered pathological in any other context are very richly rewarded at this stage of history.

I genuinely think that at some point Jones really wasn't that different to Bill Hicks or any of the essentially harmless libertarian Texas weirdos (and it is odd to think that Hicks and Jones almost certainly crossed paths at the camp outside the Branch Davidian compound in Waco). There's definitely an alternative universe where he'ended up in that crowd along with Hicks, Sam Kinison, Jimmy Pineapple, and all the other standups that took that weird, febrile Southern Baptist preacher energy and turned it into frankly terrifying standup acts. Hell if his dad had bought him a guitar instead of getting him a radio job he'd probably be playing rhythm guitar for Eric Johnson right now.

Instead he ended up doing a Bill Cooper tribute act (and if you haven't heard the Knowledge Fight and Behind the Bastards episodes on Cooper you absolutely should do so because it explains *so much* about Jones) and the (un)happy coincidence of the timing of Cooper's death and the internet coming into the mainstream Jones was perfectly positioned to take Cooper's schtick into the mainstream, and all of a sudden he is getting directly financially rewarded the more loopy he acts and the die was cast. At this point I'm sure he actually *does* believe what he's saying just because he's played that character for so long it's taken over whatever personality he originally had.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah when they've gotten into early Alex episodes he's still a huge rear end in a top hat but it definitely seems like he knows what he's doing. He's capable of some introspection, human interaction. He can talk to callers who disagree with him without freaking out. Different vibe from anything recent. It reminds me a LOT of the posters with terminal irony poisoning I've seen around here and Twitter.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

goddamnedtwisto posted:

To be fair, Dan has an impressive academic background. He was a Classical Greek major in college and can read the Iliad and poo poo in the original text. He’s used that skill a few times to refute some dumb poo poo Alex said about what the Gospels “really said”. I’m pretty sure he had a minor or at least emphasis in formal logic, too.

Jordan is no slouch, either. He may be the color commentary, but he is also incredibly well read. He’s made some very deep cut references to literary works that I know about but am too lazy to read. Also, there are about seven “Jordan takes over” episodes where he teaches Dan about climate change. He’s incredibly passionate about the climate change crisis.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A little bit of Alex goes a long way, so I'm using a couple of reddit threads to selectively pick from peoples' "Best Of" lists.

Right now it's #404, Alex Goes to CPAC, and it's incredible to hear him bellowing onstage (and from offstage while other people are speaking), just progressively drunker and drunker.

"We're having a good time tonight in defiance of their tyranny, it's amazing"

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

MrMojok posted:

A little bit of Alex goes a long way, so I'm using a couple of reddit threads to selectively pick from peoples' "Best Of" lists.

Right now it's #404, Alex Goes to CPAC, and it's incredible to hear him bellowing onstage (and from offstage while other people are speaking), just progressively drunker and drunker.

"We're having a good time tonight in defiance of their tyranny, it's amazing"

Thank you to all that have been posting recommendations, keep them coming :mcnally:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, we’ll compile a goon favorite eps list and I’ll edit it into the OP.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Which podcast show was it where the hosts tried to go full Hunter S Thompson and drop acid at CPAC?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, we’ll compile a goon favorite eps list and I’ll edit it into the OP.

565 will forever be a personal favorite to me because it's one of the few moments where Alex sells out on a philosophical level. I mean yeah he regularly takes money to pitch his audience on supplements that don't do poo poo, but that's just the podcasting game. Here he can't stop himself from revealing his utter disdain for Mike Lindell every few minutes, but for now the pillow money is good so he soldiers on all the way through the interview.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Which podcast show was it where the hosts tried to go full Hunter S Thompson and drop acid at CPAC?

Pretty sure that was a Chapo Trap House episode.

The Bill Mitchell episodes really took me back. My Dale Gribble uncle listened to him all the time. One of the first conspiracy theories I remember hearing were about how Clinton paid the Islams to do the OKC bombing so he could put Christians in fema camps

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I now have the tendency to walk around and randomly say “It’s time to pray” and “I’m a policy wonk.”

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm still getting used to the new "technocrat" drop but I will say "gently caress you!" has made me actually laugh every time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I never told you guys, but actually I was the first person to get covid and I cured myself.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

"We ain't making that money off that heroin."
"Why you pimp so good?"
"My neck is freakishly large."
"Alright, we gotta go full tilt boogie on this Watson."
"I declare info war on you."

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

"Crikey mate, that's fantastic. Have yerself a brew."

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

BigglesSWE posted:

The lawyer mentioned, in his interview with Dan and Jordan, that HBO was there recording. Anyone knows what they’re up to in this context?
There's a documentary being filmed iirc

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Sometimes I want to call someone a loser little titty-baby but I've so far managed to avoid sounding completely out of my mind. Which is good because it would be really hard not to follow up with "I renounce Jesus Christ".

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I. KNOW. HOW. TO. READ.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Tree Dude posted:

I'm still getting used to the new "technocrat" drop but I will say "gently caress you!" has made me actually laugh every time.

I can't help but say "a liiiiittle breaky for meee" along with him every time. Cracking myself up as we speak.

I'll be better tomorrow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's over for humanity.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks, SA, for turning me onto this show. I'd never heard of it.

I couldn't listen to it every day but it's a cool change of pace from a lot of the podcasts I enjoy.

There will absolutely be days where you have to listen to it in chunks. Still great but Alex Jones doing his poo poo can be a lot to handle.

edit: Oh we're doing best drops? Gotta go with MAMA! TITTY!

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 30, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Someone, someone... a sodomite... sent me a bucket of poop.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

I don't like it... but I appreciate it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Giving someone life is giving someone death. You could say... Life is death

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

And the Classic "Four star go home and tell your mother you're brilliant."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Remember, it’s got to be one that won’t piss off a mod. The bucket of poop one, though delightful, could cross a line.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I need to find that episode again where he plays Rammstein – Amerika in the background. It really drives home that it is all aesthetic, no substance.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I am so happy there's a thread for this amazing podcast. I'm listening to #641 now and it's pure quality all the way through. I am still trying to comprehend Wolfgang Halbig's emails. Absolutely unbelievable. Unbelievable, and sickening.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Giving someone life is giving someone death. You could say... Life is death

Thank you for this. I heard it in my head as I read it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've always had a soft spot for the old "Daddy shark, bam bam bam" one, and remember the show where Jordan was unavailable so one of Dan's mates was filling in and how weird it was to hear that drop without Jordan singing along.

Also the true catchphrase of Knowledge Fight has to be either "Mic down for this one, Jordan" or maybe "Neighbours..."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Pretty sure that was a Chapo Trap House episode.

It was - can't remember if it was Matt or Will but you can hear them laughing hysterically in the background of a Wohl/Loomer press conference.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Firstscion posted:

And the Classic "Four star go home and tell your mother you're brilliant."

I still love how this was from an ultimately abandoned episode

also my favorite drop is Alex accidentally admitting to murder

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
He purposefully admits to murder all the time... Until he's under oath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
The moment in the deposition where the lawyer just deadpan asks "Mr. Jones, how many people have you killed?" was fantastic.

Also, I admit, whenever I'm getting really frustrated with something one of the best things I do to calm down is to do big hearty Alex Jones sigh and say "I'm not mad at the crew." I'm starting to think of getting it tattooed.