Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

lmao this picture.

Does this mean that Jimbo is going to take over in Arizona if Jedd Fisch's Ted Lasso act wears out before the team turns around (probably not great that "Jedd Fisch buyout is the number one DuckiDuckGo suggestion already)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
No one wants to hear this about their program but Arizona probably legitimately was left as a 1-11 team by Sumlin. He really hosed up recruiting Arizona before he left and its gonna take a while to fix.

the athletic posted:

TUCSON, Ariz. — Dennis Bene jogged to the 50-yard line of Salpointe Catholic’s football field, stopping when his feet were atop the large maroon-and-yellow logo prominently displayed at midfield.

The coach began clapping his hands, signifying that players at Salpointe, a traditional high school football powerhouse in Arizona, had to get moving as they prepared for another playoff game. Salpointe shares a logo with USC, with the “S” and the “C” intersecting, and that logo catches everyone’s eyes on the crisp, synthetic turf.

That logo would be the perfect place to land a helicopter.

But no helicopter has landed on that logo, not even Kevin Sumlin’s “SwagCopter,” supposedly Arizona’s secret weapon in recruiting. That might be one reason the University of Arizona football program is wallowing in a state of mediocrity.

Sumlin, who has a son on Salpointe’s loaded football team, will not sign any of the three elite-level 2020 recruits who play for the Lancers; frankly, it appears he and his staff didn’t put up much of a fight. Instead, Ohio State, Texas and UCLA will benefit greatly from Arizona’s inability to keep players home.

“What’s the ‘SwagCopter’?” asked Salpointe safety Lathan Ransom, a national top-100 prospect who is committed to Ohio State. “I’ve never heard of it.”

The Texas recruit mentioned in this story, by the way, is Bijan Robinson who I imagine might have helped Arizona out. I'm not saying it's likely he was getting him (after all before committing to Texas he was committed to Ohio State) but to not even try when it is literally walking distance from UA to Salpointe is insane.

Whole article if you have an Athletic sub:
https://theathletic.com/1398272/2019/11/21/arizona-recruiting-swagcopter-kevin-sumlin/

e: to be clear this post is not meant to dunk on Arizona, really, more on Sumlin

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 21, 2022

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sumlin has entered into the Brian VanGorder death spiral of progressively getting worse at progressively more low-rent jobs. Currently 1-4 for the Houston Gamblers. I imagine he'll be going 3-9 at some high school in a couple seasons.

In retrospect, General Dog being the biggest proponents of the LOL KIRBY SMART EQUALS MARK RICHT LOL theory was a wee bit of a self-own.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1527808939882053633?s=21

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cmon Spurrier, come back for one last big score

e: Also, pretty sure that picture's from The Stephen Garcia Game

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

D.N. Nation posted:

Sumlin has entered into the Brian VanGorder death spiral of progressively getting worse at progressively more low-rent jobs. Currently 1-4 for the Houston Gamblers. I imagine he'll be going 3-9 at some high school in a couple seasons.

In retrospect, General Dog being the biggest proponents of the LOL KIRBY SMART EQUALS MARK RICHT LOL theory was a wee bit of a self-own.

I was saying that before he coached a game though, not several seasons in when it was obviously a bad-faith take.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

https://twitter.com/Lane_Kiffin/status/1527310815853875200

https://twitter.com/iammsuzy/status/1527301080119291904

https://twitter.com/CRO31/status/1527292382924124161

Great content

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

I was saying that before he coached a game though, not several seasons in when it was obviously a bad-faith take.

ah, fair enough I wanted Tom Herman

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mike Gundy is better at channeling the righteous indignation.

So they're in Destin? Where's Mike Leach? Is he over in Seaside, FL, rollerblading?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

Mike Gundy is better at channeling the righteous indignation.

So they're in Destin? Where's Mike Leach? Is he over in Seaside, FL, rollerblading?

"I'm a man! I'm 40!" is still one of the funniest goddamn things ever said in a press conference.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I’m dying over here, the latest Hatin’ rear end Spurrier came from the man himself: https://es.pn/3wwcO7Q

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

fast cars loose anus posted:

No one wants to hear this about their program but Arizona probably legitimately was left as a 1-11 team by Sumlin. He really hosed up recruiting Arizona before he left and its gonna take a while to fix.

The Texas recruit mentioned in this story, by the way, is Bijan Robinson who I imagine might have helped Arizona out. I'm not saying it's likely he was getting him (after all before committing to Texas he was committed to Ohio State) but to not even try when it is literally walking distance from UA to Salpointe is insane.

Whole article if you have an Athletic sub:
https://theathletic.com/1398272/2019/11/21/arizona-recruiting-swagcopter-kevin-sumlin/

e: to be clear this post is not meant to dunk on Arizona, really, more on Sumlin

Oh absolutely, Sumlin hosed the team up completely. None of this is Fisch's fault. It's really hard for a coach to keep their job through multiple sub 3 win seasons though even if it's the guy before's doing. I'm hoping Fisch can hang on and turn it around though, he's an amusing guy even if it feels like I'm being gaslit by him half the time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I am not entirely sure how to parse this but it's something fun to look at:

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1528723671950295042

I believe 'returning' production includes transfers coming in and that's where we get the + numbers since February? Obviously higher numbers don't mean you're a good team here, it's just what you're bringing back.

Ain't no one wants to play for Nevada, also Bowling Green is keeping their guys happy I guess? Or no one else wants them. I noticed UTSA bringing back a decent amount of stuff (and/or bringing in new stuff) from what was a good team last year.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 23, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally, a Bowling Green national title. Just like my NCAA 2007 dynasty.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iowa State at 37%, faaaaantastic. Kind of expected though, there were a lot of 3-4 year starters that graduated.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Seems reasonable with regards to Houston. Three out of the top four receivers graduated, Marcus Jones graduated, and Alton McCaskill's taking a medical redshirt. Dana hit the portal hard and got two guys from USC - a running back and a receiver - to come back home, a backup QB from Arkansas, and two more receivers buried on the depth charts at Ole Miss and OU. Thankfully the top receiver returns and Clayton Tune turned the corner at QB because otherwise that offense would be a mystery.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 23, 2022

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Geoff Collins gonna get fired this year

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Florida is at #100, so we will see what Napier can pull off with player development. I'm not expecting any miracles.

Pakled posted:

Geoff Collins gonna get fired this year

Maybe it's time to kick the tires on Deion Sanders. Someone with a big personality who can sneak recruits away from UGA and let his coordinators worry about the X's and O's. I'm only half joking.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I grew up with Tech being a pretty solid 2-3 in the ACC behind, like, Thad Busby loving everyone up on Jefferson Pilot games.

I’d like to see them be decent again. Joe Hamilton, where have you gone???

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sorry for the double but this deserved a solid WELP

https://twitter.com/matthayescfb/status/1528792551418904576?s=21

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Meh I’d bet the over on UF. But not by much or with anything more than like $10.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Where’s USC? That’s probably the most interesting one, just how bullish people are on them in year 1.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LeeMajors posted:

what's that say?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

kayakyakr posted:

what's that say?

Must be cached for me:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Utah
Kentucky
USF
Tennessee
Eastern Washington
Missouri

LSU
Georgia
A&M
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
FSU

I feel okay about the ones in bold but this isn't an experienced roster. 6 or 7 wins doesn't seem unrealistic. They're not exactly riding a wave of momentum into the season.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kayakyakr posted:

what's that say?

Weird. Tweet is still active, must not be loading here.

LLCoolJD posted:

I feel okay about the ones in bold but this isn't an experienced roster. 6 or 7 wins doesn't seem unrealistic. They're not exactly riding a wave of momentum into the season.

Yeah I think 7 would be a successful season w that schedule.

Gonna be a rough couple years I think.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

Utah
Kentucky
USF
Tennessee
Eastern Washington
Missouri

LSU
Georgia
A&M
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
FSU

Tennessee has beaten Florida 3 times in 20 years and this is probably the best chance Tennessee has to beat Florida since 2016 but I still won't believe we're winning that game until the clock hits 0 and we have more points.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee has beaten Florida 3 times in 20 years and this is probably the best chance Tennessee has to beat Florida since 2016 but I still won't believe we're winning that game until the clock hits 0 and we have more points.

Totally true, but I also think the team is probably going to be good for 8 wins if all they do is just replicate what they did last year. I'd take the over*.

*This means you should take the under, cause I'm horrible at sports betting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

Where’s USC? That’s probably the most interesting one, just how bullish people are on them in year 1.

USC defense still blows

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Totally true, but I also think the team is probably going to be good for 8 wins if all they do is just replicate what they did last year. I'd take the over*.

I think calling 8 and the over is a fairly safe bet. Bolded the expected wins. I think LSU can be a tossup and Florida is a...whatever, I don't even want to say maybe. Not even going to pretend I think we're beating Bama or UGA.

Ball State
Pitt
Akron

Florida
LSU
Bama
UT Martin
Kentucky

UGA
Mizzou
USCe
Vandy

I think 10 is our ceiling and 6 being the floor if we drop a couple from Kentucky/Mizzou/USCe

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

USC defense still blows

Yeah, but if the offense is really good that’s probably still 9 or 10 wins. Other than Utah, nobody else is really going to be good next year, like, at all.

(I think it’s possible that Caleb Williams kind of blows, though)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think calling 8 and the over is a fairly safe bet. Bolded the expected wins. I think LSU can be a tossup and Florida is a...whatever, I don't even want to say maybe. Not even going to pretend I think we're beating Bama or UGA.

Ball State
Pitt
Akron

Florida
LSU
Bama
UT Martin
Kentucky

UGA
Mizzou
USCe
Vandy

I think 10 is our ceiling and 6 being the floor if we drop a couple from Kentucky/Mizzou/USCe

Strange to feel that way no more than 2-3 years removed from the worst season in program history.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State can win 5 or 11 and there is never any rhyme or reason to it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
After the whole Derek Dooley situation, even the game going final isn't enough to convince me.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This is Pitt's year baby

Wait what's that, Kenny and Jordan are gone? :(

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

General Dog posted:

https://twitter.com/SportsPac12/status/1528822951474126848?s=20&t=sPvFP_W5dZBkcMHBmNjU1g

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
7.5 for us seems...forgiving, with our QB situation being such a hot mess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

7.5 for us seems...forgiving, with our QB situation being such a hot mess.

I mean, somebody's got to win these games. Biggest surprise for me at a glance is UCLA at 8.5.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

After the whole Derek Dooley situation, even the game going final isn't enough to convince me.

Yeah that LSU finish was brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I like this

https://twitter.com/unnecroughness/status/1528810901477941248?s=21