Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralph Hurley posted:

My boomer parents only real objection to rap as far as I can tell has always been “why do they have to swear so much” and “people who drive around blasting bass from their cars are very rude”.

My dad watched 8 Mile and his takeaway was “I don’t get it, they just stand there and insult each other. Is that all rap is?”

lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

One of the weirdest things I ever seen from my dad were my friends and I coming home to just see him watching Eminem music videos on the living room TV with his arms crossed and zero expression, appreciating it like the finest classical

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

One of the weirdest things I ever seen from my dad were my friends and I coming home to just see him watching Eminem music videos on the living room TV with his arms crossed and zero expression, appreciating it like the finest classical

swirling a fine cabernet in my glass as i take in the majesty

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Am parent and like rap, however i once told my daughter that Taylor Swift’s rap bit in one her songs was lame.
Am I the rascist?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

her what now?

tay tay's got bars?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tehdas posted:

Am parent and like rap, however i once told my daughter that Taylor Swift’s rap bit in one her songs was lame.
Am I the rascist?

you're racist for listening to Taylor Swift

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ralph Hurley posted:

My boomer parents only real objection to rap as far as I can tell has always been “why do they have to swear so much” and “people who drive around blasting bass from their cars are very rude”.

My dad watched 8 Mile and his takeaway was “I don’t get it, they just stand there and insult each other. Is that all rap is?”

My dad didn't ever react to rap and basically didn't listen to anything but classical but would sometimes pick a random r&b song that he saw, buy the single and listen to it on repeat for days on end, he loved Dru Hill's "In My Bed" for some reason and just blasted it for days until everyone was sick of it, then he'd forget about the song and go back to classical

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

LuckyCat posted:

My dad has only listened to 3 artists his entire life. Gene Autry, Roy Orbison, and Johnny Cash. When I was younger and he was in the passenger seat of my car I'd play normal pop garbage on the radio and he'd be really confused. He told me he couldn't understand what was going on. To be fair he flew helicopters in a war and his hearing his hosed.

My mom only listens to country and Supertramp lol.

id hang with your parents

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Ralph Hurley posted:

dad gets it

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

buffalo all day posted:

swirling a fine cabernet in my glass as i take in the majesty

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I got a real good look at the real deep rooted racism in my dad through music and over time. He's better about it now, but like, the reason I appreciate music so much now is because of my dad blasting all kinds of music like George Benson or Stan Getz or whatever. Like, if I was a jazz rap producer I could raid his vinyl and be a sample king. I remember one day when I was a kid trying to show him a sort of entry point to how rap is good actually with Changes cause of how Tupac had something really meaningful to say and it used Bruce Hornsby for gently caress's sake, and he was like I NAHNAHNAH NAH NAH NGJBJNL*grumble walking away

Since he got divorced he's chilled out a lot and I could send him any kind of music and he'd be like "that's cool! what's this new thing?" because he is going deaf and can't understand the lyrics anyway. He just wants to know if he can jam to it. I've seen him say some extra words for certain types of people before when got heated though and like, I dunno if it's still there and he just has to get angry or what

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
lol

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Not only did my Boomer mom embrace rap from the very beginning (early 80s), she encouraged it. Even when hardcore rap was prevalent, she still loved it and let me listen to it because it was just music. She even went with me to go see Straight Outta Compton when it was in theaters :3: Thanks, mom!

My Boomer dad was indifferent to it, but I don't think he paid much attention to it either way. Although I did catch him watching a documentary on A Tribe Called Quest one day and asked him, "Who are you, and what have you done with my dad?" His response was "This ain't so bad after all." :unsmith:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah I think my mom is actually more racist than my dad but it's way more gross because it's also more classist and poo poo, and she can have friends of any kind and do charity stuff but she'll still say really disturbing poo poo without even realizing it

Anyways I grew up in Stone Mountain, GA. It's a suburb of Atlanta, I don't know if you've heard of it

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
my conservative dad found the mp3 of "gently caress Dying" by Ice Cube ft Korn (lol) in the recent documents folder of the family computer and told me he would be going through my entire music collection and chucking out/deleting anything with swearing (which was probably 95% of it). this was also back when a single mp3 could take an hour to download so that was a significant threat.

he completely forgot about it the next day and it never came up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Incorrect Username posted:

he completely forgot about it the next day and it never came up again

Maybe your mom was listening in to make sure, but he really didn’t care about the music.

Source: am a Dad with a son who only likes rap, hip-hop, and AC/DC.