Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I suppose I will be posting here soon because I'm taking an online course in data science on Udemy. Just learning the basics of python at the moment. Thought I would introduce myself because I can see myself in the future having some serious computer questions.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

rotor posted:

interesting ... tell us more about this so called data "science"

I dont know much about that part yet ...I'm learning the ropes of python right now

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

i’m doing an online course in front end development I get to use a command line and also a thing called an “IDE” which is probably a bit behind where most people in this forum are at and I kinda can’t wait to hang out and share my knowledge

Hello!

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
So do you cool smart cats think it's a total waste of time on the real or what

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I think it's cool you're learning more about computers.

Thank you

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

tk posted:

If you’re enjoying yourself and/or learning it’s a good use of time.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm enjoying myself yet. I'm simply hoping it ramps up to something more interesting

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I guess that's one of the tough things about this "coding" business that you lads love so much. you are so far from making anything interesting when you start... Its a tough prospect I must admit

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

whats the course

I am doing "the odin project"

That's supposed to be a good one OP.

I'm doing "Complete machine learning and data science bootcamp 2022" on Udemy. I got it for $10

I'd quite like to hear your experience with Odin project. Made anything cool?
I started to do that many many moons ago and didn't have the time or dedication.... I now have some free time.

styls trill epic fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 12, 2022

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

SpaceAceJase posted:

might be an unpopular opinion around these parts but that's no substitute for a real institutional education

I can't get one of those rite now OP

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Not much progress today goons. Seems like I'm still really far from making anything good

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Bored Online posted:

whatre some good resources for learning pen testing? i read through a basic bug bounty book and would like to take a crack at it. right now the biggest challenge is holding all the possible vulnerabilities in my head even after copious note taking

what's pen testing

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

is the exam you take for admittance to the pen 15 club

Sweet like some honeybuns

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
This is really boring as sin

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

SYSV Fanfic posted:

yeah, you gotta have just the right level of brain damage to enjoy it. I recommend several months of total isolation from the rest of humanity, and a belief that being good at computers is a competition with others.

I have the isolation on lock

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
if I had an epic group of ppl to work with and write poo poo on whiteboards it would be a lot better.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

imagine that

word. how's the odin project OP you seeing some results? I'm trying to treat it like the gym ya bird?

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Bored Online posted:

if you are bored at the “learning programming with python” part just wait until the data part

I feel like I will be better at the data part? I have done some R and taken stats and poo poo but i can't see anything recognizable yet as a table in this course. :confused: I guess big data uses lists as tables??? da gently caress/

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah Ritilin helps, that's a good idea. In fact any drugs you have on hand are probably going to be useful

HEH

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

MrQueasy posted:

Welcome to Data Science! Focus on the infrastructure part IMO because feature engineering has you competing against people with Masters+ degrees in math. There's still a huge talent gap for engineers who can build Data Science pipelines that automate gathering data, rebuilding models, and then updating the prod code with new models. Very wild west there still.

I don't know what any of this means OP :D

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I skipped to the end and it looks boring as poo poo and you make a thing that can barely recognize dog breeds..

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

I don't really expect a job in front-end, I just need to do something, and then something else, until eventually escaping pharmacy into something with a future is possible.

I wanna ask my boss to move to 4 days a week and put the extra day into web poo poo and/or trying to make any of my other ideas into cash money.

Are you an actual pharm D?

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

no im in new zealand we don't have that degree but I am a pharmacist (bachelor of pharmacy)

it fucken sucks man. the money is fine I guess but I am poo poo with money so I need more and its dullllll and I can just feel so much ability within me just going to waste every moment of every hour in the dispensary

I would think you would have good skills that would be valuable without needing to necessarily know coding itself, but be able to tell ppl what to do , and how to make software, for pharmacy.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
very puzzled by all the chanels

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

SYSV Fanfic posted:

If something pays well, it either has a really high bar to entry or most people can't stand doing it.

Can't say too much without doxxing myself due to various haters but I'm in a unique position and trying to add some extra umpH!!!! I'm very much a nose to the grindstone type of person.

The issue being that, as I said, i am so far from making anything coolll, or doing anything interesting, it seems like. But more of this anon!

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I havn't worked on it yet today

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
absolutely no progress today goons. Was caught in the side hustle

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
what the gently caress is the point of doing this outside of excel.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Captain Foo posted:

you can get a salary 4x as high

Is it fake tho

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
This is not sweet like honeybuns

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I'll consider it a win if I can start to make anything in python half as easily as I can in excel

I signed up for data quest as well but the free week is running out.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

did you do any work today

yes today I am doing data quest but my free time with it has run out. it was better for doing actual data stuff it seems and is reenforcing stuff. How about you op. I can still access the stuff so i think i will keep going.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Bored Online posted:

the arc of this story is curving in a predictable direction

lol

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm actually doing well and trying to keep the faith that this tedium will result in me being able to do literally anything cool

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Well right now im doing "data analyst" track on code academy and maybe it will shift in with the data science track on udemy. The python teaching part of udemy was too thin so im beefing up with codeacdemy before I need to cancel code academy due to expenses

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
This is sheer torture

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Can't speak on either of those due to haters and clout chasers I'm afraid.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Im a little shook

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Well I'm a little worried im gonna spend all this time for nothing. COdeacademy seems like its not gonna have me do poo poo outside the app? gotta learn git? da fiufcl?????

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

MrQueasy posted:

learning git is a non-negotiable skill, hth

what does that even mean. How does one learn... Git!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
im trying to install anaconda 3 apparently