Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

I feel like I will be better at the data part? I have done some R and taken stats and poo poo but i can't see anything recognizable yet as a table in this course. :confused: I guess big data uses lists as tables??? da gently caress/

Welcome to Data Science! Focus on the infrastructure part IMO because feature engineering has you competing against people with Masters+ degrees in math. There's still a huge talent gap for engineers who can build Data Science pipelines that automate gathering data, rebuilding models, and then updating the prod code with new models. Very wild west there still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Holy poo poo, the jobs are real?

Yes, but most of them involve trying to hide that you solved the problem with a regex based rules engine.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

I don't know what any of this means OP :D

Don't worry, just focus on understanding linear and logarithmic regressions for now.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Bored Online posted:

i really wish making these resources was left to the sysops people

LOL, we still can't get regular SDLC pipelines built consistently in our industry. The sysops people don't have time for ANOTHER ONE!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

vs code continues to mega impress

you do data science in a Jupyter notebook only, echo.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

Is it fake tho

The applications are made up, but the logistic regressions are real.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

This is sheer torture

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

welcum 2 computer

only its also maths, so doubly so.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

Im a little shook

how do you think I feel? I’ve been doing computer poo poo for 20 years now, and trying to help data scientists build anything useful for the last 5.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

Well I'm a little worried im gonna spend all this time for nothing. COdeacademy seems like its not gonna have me do poo poo outside the app? gotta learn git? da fiufcl?????

learning git is a non-negotiable skill, hth

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

what does that even mean. How does one learn... Git!

it’s something one has to commit to

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

:smugmrgw:

what does -m mean with commit? -u with push? who cares just do it

set message and set upstream, respectively.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

OP im kind of famous in GBS for having a 16 core macintosh

Then why are you complaining about command line interfaces?

I've only got 6 cores on my work mac, and if I were to need more, then I'd be making more money and having significantly less fun.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

Yospos is much cooler than GBS

yeah, but you and I are allowed to post here anyway.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

Create the list cubes using a list comprehension on the single_digits list. Each element of cubes should be an element of single_digits taken to the third power.

code:
cubes = [n ** 3 for n in single_digits]
I love comprehensions, though python’s are more than a little clunky outside of the simple cases.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

are you cute irl

not if they have to fall back on data science as a career

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
also, you’re not wrong about it being the stupidest thing ever…

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

What more damage could we do that you aren't doing to yourself?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

what's your line of work MrQueasy?

MrQueasy posted:

how do you think I feel? I’ve been doing computer poo poo for 20 years now, and trying to help data scientists build anything useful for the last 5.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

well... The issue is that I didn't do any yesterday and minimal today. Still plugging. Forget it!

hmm, the outputs from this model aren't looking good.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

styls trill epic posted:

I quit this and got a refund for the course. So long suckers!

MY HIP!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
If we close the thread, how will clout get chased?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
bro, he’s gone

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

jemand posted:

i liked ur post anyways

shitposting aside, I did too, but our dear Original ThreadMaker has moved on to more different clout.

Necronomoticon posted:

ty I'm still learning.

interesting to know that there's some demand int he ML Pipeline space tho. I should gently caress with MlFlow or Sage Maker more.

Make sure you try to figure out the underlying stuff like feature engineering and whatever. The technology surrounding everything is good to know, but the only guarantee right now is that it will probably shift quite a bit in the next decade. As long as you can figure out how to find the core stuff no matter if they call it foo or bar or ThroatWarblerMangrove, you should be golden.

As far as jobs go... network where you can at least until you find your first job... then it's onward and upward from there! I'm just an algorithms guy, but there's 100+ lovely ML people out there for every good one, and there's still not enough people who know a regression from a hole in the ground.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

He's chasing that clout on a farm upstate, now.

RIP OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

El Mero Mero posted:

ban all data scientists

Ban 'em all and let God apply the K-means clustering.