Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's almost impossible for a controlled indoor fire to exhaust your oxygen though? People have had fireplaces for thousands of years

It's like telling someone not to eat four pizzas a day because they'll get metabolic problems and also attract the Noid

We're talking about uncontrolled fires in a BBQ here, guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Yeah, you can totally suffocate yourself with a stand alone heating system indoors. They're illegal in some USA states for that very reason. (Like, for example, here in Massachusetts, though there's nothing stopping me from popping over to a neighboring state to buy one.)

While I don't think the hospital post above is real, you can very easily take yourself out if you have a decently weatherproofed house with modern, well sealing doors and windows. People do this in campers all the time. It's an insidious death as well because there's no pain. You just fall asleep and never wake up.

Now for a brief western evolution of the chimney! (None of this applies to asia or various tribes around the world...we're talking European chimneys here.) Industrial chimneys were in use even during the roman era, but in homes a fire pit was built in the middle of the dwelling and smoke was allowed to waft around until it escaped through a hole in the roof or wall built for that purpose. Homes weren't well insulated: no glass windows, thatched roofs, mud or plaster chinked walls, so plenty of oxygen would make its way in from outside. It's generally believed that a string of particularly cold winters caused the innovation of the chimney in some areas in Europe (hardly any real evidence before ~1100 or so...and sealed clay ovens probably came first). There were some particularly harsh winters where it made sense to seal up the house better and build a better fire, and from there the logical leap to pipe the smoke out of your house isn't a huge one. In any case, domestic chimneys didn't really catch on until victorian times, when home heating moved to coal and the resulting smoke was much harsher and dirtier than woodsmoke. Around 1100 AD though, the invention of the chimney made much more complicated architecture a reality for the wealthy...they could build two story homes or more elaborate castles because they had ways to heat the various rooms (without having smoke drift up from downstairs).

A big part of the issue with burning artificial logs (or propane or kerosene or natural gas) is that the flames make little smoke but you're producing plenty of carbon dioxide/carbon monoxide. That's not as much of an issue in an ancient world or medieval home where the smoke itself is giving you plenty of information about how much air you need to let in.

FWIW, in places where people still rely on fireplace heating or stand alone wood fuel stoves there's a cultural tradition around educating the youth in the dangers of carbon monoxide/carbon dioxide poisoning. Find your local crusty redneck hillbilly with a hunting cabin and I guarantee you he's aware of the risks and has some safety measures accounted for when he lights up his kerosene stove.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's almost impossible for a controlled indoor fire to exhaust your oxygen though? People have had fireplaces for thousands of years

It's like telling someone not to eat four pizzas a day because they'll get metabolic problems and also attract the Noid

a proper fire without proper ventilation is kind of an oxymoron but yeah, it’s the presence of carbon monoxide, not the absence of air, that kills people rather swiftly.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/07/maryland-relatives-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-suspected

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I am hit with the stench of artificial fried chicken every time I go into my garage, and I haven’t even opened the package yet.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
did that dude die or what

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Coolwhoami posted:

did that dude die or what

Keep waiting for something new to pop up on their post history and it just... doesn't happen

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Red Robin Hood posted:

Keep waiting for something new to pop up on their post history and it just... doesn't happen

He dead until proved not dead.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is this the first time a Coupons and Deals thread has lead to the death of a goon?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ineffiable posted:

Is this the first time a Coupons and Deals thread has lead to the death of a goon?

They call that forum the widow maker.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480 in the spirit of goons being idiots endangering themselves, remember the guy who was going to hike coast to coast with a baby stroller plastered with hash tags and then quit and ditched it in the wilderness north of san francisco, and then tried driving to florida through the desert in hundred degree weather only for his bmw to break down

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Are they really dead?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

With a first post that seems like a very obvious setup I’d say they are definitely not dead but I admire the dedication to the bit

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
They’re slow roasting to seal in the flavor or something idk I’m not a cook

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

drat, almost got taken out by the Colonel!

Red Robin Hood posted:

The KFC log is only $3.48 now

Literal fire sale going on here! :tif:

OMGLOLetcetc
Feb 13, 2008
Victim Of The '08 Account Hijackings :(

Richlove posted:

drat, almost got taken out by the Colonel!

Literal fire sale going on here! :tif:

I grabbed 2 and Walmart sent me 8 instead. My basement reeks of weird fried chicken.

Thanks!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Red Robin Hood posted:

Are they really dead?
The single post in their post history between purchase and hospital is just the word "jim"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just bought three logs :kingsley:

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
I was wondering how in the hell this thread was 5 pages...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
The logs are still available for $3.48/ea

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I gave one to a friend as a “gift” last night, it’s a fun mixed blessing to saddle someone with. The satisfaction is delightful so I’ll probably do the same with my other two.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Snowy posted:

I gave one to a friend as a “gift” last night, it’s a fun mixed blessing to saddle someone with. The satisfaction is delightful so I’ll probably do the same with my other two.

I got tired of the stench and started giving them to curious coworkers that asked me what they were lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol why the gently caress is this thread not in the goldmine

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol why the gently caress is this thread not in the goldmine

We still await the Return of the King.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

We still await the Return of the King.

drat, word. he hasn't posted since that fateful day. praying that he hasn't died from the 11 spice overload 🙏

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

drat, word. he hasn't posted since that fateful day. praying that he hasn't died from the 11 spice overload 🙏

the veiled prophet shall come again to tell of the firelog's delights

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

he hasn't posted since that fateful day

holy poo poo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think about this thread every now and then and check to see if Dignity Van Houten has posted again. Genuinely concerned that C&D might have killed them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sirotan posted:

I think about this thread every now and then and check to see if Dignity Van Houten has posted again. Genuinely concerned that C&D might have killed them.

c&d has drawn blood countless times and must be stopped

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

prisoner of waffles posted:

the veiled prophet shall come again to tell of the firelog's delights

:worship:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I gotta say faking your death by KFC Log is way funnier than any ban me in history

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
The dedication to this joke is loving amazing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I gotta say faking your death by KFC Log is way funnier than any ban me in history

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

quote:

It’s one SomethingAwful forums account, Michael, how much could it cost, $8 / a month?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's got to be some kind of special Forums Saint/Martyr tag they can get because holy poo poo does this still make me laugh

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FilthyImp posted:

There's got to be some kind of special Forums Saint/Martyr tag they can get because holy poo poo does this still make me laugh

St javelin clutching a KFC log

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ll give you my kfc firelog when you pry it from my cold dead hands

:tif:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Here we go again

:getin:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Where Goldmine?