Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

help me obi wan kenobi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my rear end is round and full and everyone loves it

diagnosis please

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

it hurts when I do this:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

axolotl farmer posted:

it hurts when I do this:

it hurts me to read them too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I’m dumber and slower than I was a few years ago

my glasses prescription gets worse every year

I don’t remember things too good anymore

I don’t learn things as good or as fast as before

I’m impulsive and have started making a lot more snap decisions to get snacks and avoid work decisions and research in favor of checking something on my phone

I keep putting off putting clean laundry away STUFF and get scared of playing games or jamming on my pc instead of just being on the couch watching poo poo on yt

what’s happening to me

edited to be accurate for me

im doing the same thing. part of me wants to get checked out for add, another part just wants to chalk it up as getting old

basically i think that for the past 30-odd years ive been compensating for my general difficulties focusing with a really good memory. i also got lucky that in general, reading/learning most topics is something that holds my attention so i did well in school. anyway, now that my memory is getting worse, i cant really bounce around from one thing to the other without losing context (whether for ingesting information or producing code/specifications/music/whatever)

kinda sucks, maybe i should tell a doctor about it. i apparently forgot to take my medicine yesterday and the day before despite my pill container being <2ft from me and having a phone alarm to remind me. i got distracted between turning the alarm off and taking it. i can compensate by making a new rule where i dont turn off my alarm before i take my medicine, but...that seems kinda like a red flag

it probably also has to do with burnout or smth

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I keep forgetting all the cheesebrain symptoms that I need to share with my doctor, there’s more than this

I've started keeping a list or I walk out of the office and go "oh, forgot to ask about that thing, guess I'll ask next year".

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

what’s happening to me

maybe you need fish oil

like could it be a nutritional deficiency?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

my rear end is round and full and everyone loves it

diagnosis please

big booty bonanza

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i had a disease once op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

honestly i think a lot of stuff people assign to ‘getting old’ is actually caused by fatigue from working full time. i take a month off every summer and after 3 weeks or so I can feel my creativity and curiousity flooding back in. it’s great

compare that to now (mid-winter and mid-work-year for me) and anything beyond light shitposting, doing redactle, and watching youtube seems like a lot of effort

being young correlates with having no responsibilities and heaps of free time. maybe ur job loving u over and you need something that doesn’t drain you quite so much (if that is even possible)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah that tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Achmed Jones posted:

edited to be accurate for me

im doing the same thing. part of me wants to get checked out for add, another part just wants to chalk it up as getting old

basically i think that for the past 30-odd years ive been compensating for my general difficulties focusing with a really good memory. i also got lucky that in general, reading/learning most topics is something that holds my attention so i did well in school. anyway, now that my memory is getting worse, i cant really bounce around from one thing to the other without losing context (whether for ingesting information or producing code/specifications/music/whatever)

kinda sucks, maybe i should tell a doctor about it. i apparently forgot to take my medicine yesterday and the day before despite my pill container being <2ft from me and having a phone alarm to remind me. i got distracted between turning the alarm off and taking it. i can compensate by making a new rule where i dont turn off my alarm before i take my medicine, but...that seems kinda like a red flag

it probably also has to do with burnout or smth

responding now that i have some energy. for context, i'm turning 32 in a couple months :negative:.

adhd is a major part of it, to be fair. i can get more done and be more on the ball if my adderall is in effect. it's been like that for focus since i was 6 years old, but energy is a new one. that, i think, is sheer age.

but burnout can contribute to it, too. i think you mentioned a little while back that i should take some days off and you're not wrong, i feel better on days off. i dont know how much of it is because my energy is spent on things that personally matter to me instead of things that matter in the abstract (i.e. xp/resource/gold grinding). im willing to bet thats a large chunk tbqh

this:

quote:

is structure and habit. having to ramp it up is sort of a red flag, in the sense that now its important and urgent to implement. a lot of people pick this up naturally as they grow (maybe not so much for millenials tho). for the rest of us, we'll be """fine""" without it until we're not, and we need to play catchup

there is nothing wrong with having that kinda rule because a lot of people do it subconsciously, others like us just need it in writing. i say get that rule going

anyway i do the same i have a med planner n poo poo and i keep forgetting to use it and having adderall going on sundays is a key component of that :/!!!!!!!!!!

---

frankly i think i just want my limited energy, focus, and time left on earth spent on something other than work. its been like 8 years since i started my tech career and as much as i greatly appreciate it for getting me independent secure and stable...i have not been much else. i regret losing so much time over those past years to the workday->couch->bed pipeline.