Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post pictures of bad ux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Here is the alaska airlines website to unsubscribe from all their emails they send you.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
dark pattern more like dork pattern

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thats right, greenpos is an abomination

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

if you search for an app normally you can't long press to add it to your home screen etc. You have to flick up the app viewer and search there instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you bastard! i saw your post and was going to make a thread but i started writing an actual OP with content and you beat me. :mad:

anyway here are three i had lined up. i assume this thread can be for both bad ux and bad ui? they are related, but different!

this one is the control software we use for our CNC routers. position and command are always open, but are separate windows for some reason. keypad captures your input and you can't click on anything else while it is open. there is a fourth window, spindle speed, which has to be open for the machine to transfer spindle speed commands from the console to the machine. everything will run fine if it's not open, but the spindle will turn whatever speed it feels like and gently caress up your cut.

(yes, it still uses the win9x widgets even in windows 10)

another fun aspect of this program is the job configuration pages, which are made to look like a yellow ruled notepad like you would have in a machine shop. i assume this was to try to make it easy for carpenters getting their first computer in 1995, and they just haven't updated it since.

here is a picture of some labview data collection abomination designed by a mechanical engineer. it's not my photo so i don't know much about it, other than to say that in academia i have often had to use similar pieces of homespun labview software, and being forced to by your supervisor or professor should be considered a cruel and unusual punishment.

finally, here is some software i last used about 10 years ago but i've never forgotten it. this is a program used to customize the look of your airplane in the il-2: 1946 flight simulator. i used it to put RCAF markings on planes that never flew with the canadians, but obviously the most popular function of this software is to put the swastikas back on the german planes so you can accurately roleplay as a nazi. there is only one annotation on this screenshot (the red box); everything else is exactly what the program looks like when you start it up.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 12, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

efb

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thats right, greenpos is an abomination

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

anyway here are three i had lined up. i assume this thread can be for both bad ux and bad ui? they are related, but different!

Yeah post both, my brain farted when making the thread and I completely forgot the difference.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:eyepop:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all ux you're aware of is bad because you shouldn't notice good ux

unfortunately a decade of steve jobs keynote addresses made product people and executives think users should experience "delight" while using computers

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

qirex posted:

unfortunately a decade of steve jobs keynote addresses made product people and executives think users should experience "delight" while using computers

impossible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

I get so tired of telling the pipe sweating story

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i agree

all user interfaces are a joke and should be thrown away. cli supremacy

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

polyester concept posted:

i agree

agreed, except throw away the CLI too along with everything that's a computer

CLI apps can/do have UX problems too. Git comes to mind, as exemplified by the existence of https://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eeeehhh...

expert systems and interfaces people use all day to do complex tasks can easily suffer from "intuitive syndrome" where trying to make it easy makes it worse because it adds steps, this is true a lot in financial software where people just want it to be as much like excel as possible and it's not really possible to wizard up editing an accounting calendar or coupon schedule

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just like that picture because it's a joke about ux, saying that good ux doesn't have to be explained, like a good joke, and then it explains the joke about ux

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

man telling fishing story dot jpeg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I had time I'd change that to say "all truisms about ui/ux are false because there will always be exceptions based on the context, that's literally what design is, idiots"

they should hire me to write greeting cards

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there's this vast gulf between newbie UIs that emphasize discovery and guard rails and stuff and then expert UIs like clis and things like trading terminals and bridging that gap is really hard and no one does it, it's basically this usability bathtub curve

That big thing some years back when everyone discovered chatbots was neat because chatbots can do a pretty good job straddling that gap.

I saw this project a while ago that was bascially a CLI with a gui layered over it in what was basically intellisense for bash or whatever cli thing they were doing and i thought that was really good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my guess is nobody does it because creating that kind of difficulty gradient would be multiples more expensive than doing both newbie and expert interfaces combined

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

my guess is nobody does it because creating that kind of difficulty gradient would be multiples more expensive than doing both newbie and expert interfaces combined

yeah i mean most people never even get around to an expert mode so yeah

im just sayin is all

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

on topic:

you should pronounce "UX" like "ucks" and not "you-ecks"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"yucks"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

you should pronounce "UX" like "ucks" and not "you-ecks"

would that make ui/ux "oowee-ucks"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"ew/yucks"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

would that make ui/ux "oowee-ucks"

"we slash ucks"

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

"ooks"

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i knew this would happen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
posited: blender has a good UI

software doing advanced tasks should be set up to make it streamlined for proficient users, not beginners

that said idk. I have an inkling I could be good at this and in fact want to, but who knows. certain yospos characters repeatedly make it clear that working in a job ruins everything.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

twitter has really hostile ux if you are not signed in

if you click a twitter link, it pops up a giant "sign in / sign up" modal. you can close it and view the content fine, but if you click to expand an image or click a trending topic, it loads the new page and then displays the modal again. however if you close it a second time, it redirects you back to the first page. so you have to copy the url and open it in a new tab :argh:

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 12, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
works as intended

I reckon the UI on the twitter ios app is actually pretty good. lots of excellent decisions

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

so you have to copy the url and open it in a new tab :argh:

Click with mouse wheel to open in new tab.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
not really ucks but I'm very familiar with the figma experience of letting you get involved in a task just enough to think this time it won't happen and then BAM full ram, full swap, and the whole system locks up.

edit: bonus experience is this happening in a zoom call, so the mac guy inevitably pipes up "i'm not having any trouble here, I'm constantly amazed at how little ram the new mac processors use you should switch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
most music software but in particular sibelius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKx1wnXClcI