Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

this bad ux cost citi $500 million lol

yeah lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handle
Jan 20, 2011

from the documentation. don't worry, the production version has more colors.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i used labview in college and it was really bad

I used it in high school and it was so bad. It was completely undecipherable you had a large program.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

while i do not have a screenshot, that CMS reminds me of the Oracle Siebel-based ticketing system i worked with while at a subdivision of McAfee

10% of the screen was consumed by pre-populated fields and 80% by fields that were only relevant to other parts of McAfee's business, but completely unused by us

the basic free text case description field where we input everything, because you can't easily describe complex TCP proxy issues in predefined fields, was about 250x100px

The Wisest Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Oh God, I'm so sorry, I'm trying to delete it

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I used it in high school and it was so bad. It was completely undecipherable you had a large program.

The other fun thing is that it's basically impossible to do revision comparisons. I've got pages and pages of exactly this written over the course of the last 10 years that I'm now responsible for.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

i understand why visual programming languages exist from the perspective of representing circuits, but not being able to automatically decompose them into pure text function representation seems a ux nightmare for anything moderately complex

trying to read anything other than basic poo poo in reaktor seems nigh impossible

The Wisest Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Oh God, I'm so sorry, I'm trying to delete it

Ladder logic hits a nice sweet spot for visual programming. It can always be decomposed into equivalent text pretty easily. It is more limited in its flexibility compared to labview or simulink, but it's still really useful for programming complex bit logic in a format that's more intuitive to interpret.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

davinci resolve is a good one because itís very powerful software but somehow doesnít feel like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

discord has an ok ux except for one glaring thing theyíre refuse to fix* but the biggest gripe is that itís a great tool that is useful for many communities but leans into the gamer aesthetic

I have it set up for a pharmacy group and itís basically perfect except that I cringe when I imagine health professionals opening up the app for the first time

*apparently if you have it open on your desktop, you canít force it to send notifications to all devices, so i could be logged in at home and miss an important notification on my phone because home pc got the notifications. apparently this is working as intended. ok but why the gently caress isnít there an option?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

echinopsis posted:

davinci resolve is a good one because itís very powerful software but somehow doesnít feel like it

A lot of video editing software seems like this. Super powerful, but comes with UX that feels like something from Windows XP, which really makes it feel dumbed down.

Plank Walker posted:

more bad ux: pressing the windows key and typing to search has lag before it starts accepting input so if you don't wait a tick before typing, it's gonna miss the first letter and then when you hit enter, instead of opening vs code, it's gonna open a web search for odell beckham jr

I've had similar issues, but kind of the opposite order. The search also has a lag updating the results. So I might be typing "vs c" and I see the "VS Code" search result; however, my brain is still typing when I see the result, so now I'm at "vs co" and hit enter, but at that exact moment the results will update and now I've opened a browser window to search for "vs company" or something.

Medical software UX: I worked at a security company for a summer in college. One of the tasks they gave to me was to help with vulnerability testing with some web app for tracking prescriptions for patients or something like that. It was like pages filled with something but input fields. No UI design. That was what made me realize I never want to take a software job near medical-related software.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

in the saviour who can fix it all

pointsofdata
Apr 25, 2011

this is some serious bs, I subscribe to a streaming service but can't use it as soon as I go abroad? should have just pirated everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

pointsofdata posted:

this is some serious bs, I subscribe to a streaming service but can't use it as soon as I go abroad? should have just pirated everything

copyright and DRM are pure, distilled, bad UX.