Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s with websites like google that requires username press enter then new screen then password

is it to gently caress up password managers? sometimes it feels like some websites try to make it more difficult to use pass word managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think its so that if your username has an external auth provider like okta then google will kick you over to them after the username is entered

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my last employer had that because some architect type guy said "it's more secure." maybe it is but he never explained how to my satisfaction

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

my last employer had that because some architect type guy said "it's more secure." maybe it is but he never explained how to my satisfaction

i think progressive jpeg is exactly right, but it is also arguably less secure since it leaks which users exist and/or the login infra they belong to.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i should clarify that at this last job we did not support any other auth providers, this was just to log in to the company's own bespoke auth provider

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tiktok has a pretty good ui/ux all over

the desktop website is very good. all the tools work well

and the iphone app works so well. making the video fullscreen and putting the controls on the video is actaully a great idea, because they all work so well. its so smooth going between videos.

its good. im risking it all by making this claim

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Truman Peyote posted:

i should clarify that at this last job we did not support any other auth providers, this was just to log in to the company's own bespoke auth provider

much ink is spilt about the tradeoff between security and convenience in authentication system architecture

but in fact it is a three way tradeoff between security, convenience and the blind ego of the architect

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
not sure if this is bad ux or if i'm the problem here, but regular-clicking twitter links on this forum opens them in the same tab but also wipes the back button history which is a real pain when i forget to right click->new tab them

e: nvm it looks like they open in new tabs by default now, i've been afraid to even try for a while

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

i think its so that if your username has an external auth provider like okta then google will kick you over to them after the username is entered

yeah its called home realm discovery. the username (mostly just the domain name component) is used to figure out if that domain is setup with federated auth and if so it will redirect the user to the appropriate identity provider for authentication.

if they default back to 1st party auth it shouldnt gently caress up ur password manager if its designed right

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
load-bearing "if"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really hate this new trend where clicking an image on a web page opens it into a full screen popup overlay, but you have to close it by clicking the X in the corner, because clicking the back button to close it will take you back two pages. So like you google "Subnautica crabsquid," click the first Google link and go directly to the game wiki page, start reading the article, click a picture of a crabsquid, press back on your mouse to close the picture, and rather than returning to the article, now you're back at the Google search results.

And then it's even more hosed up because when you click the forwards button, it skips over the article again and returns you to the blown up image! What the gently caress!

I know that it's because the JavaScript to open the image doesn't count as a loading a new page from the browser's standpoint, and there's some garbage going on there. But from the user's standpoint, opening the image absolutely feels like a new page and the back button should return you to where you were. This is the only case ever where I think hijacking the back button is correct, because the alternative is just loving infuriating.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

am i crazy or does chrome(-derived browsers) actually on back also sometimes elide an intervening page (which absolutely does have a separate url and seeming http get) when you click through fast or by some criteria like that? or is it some stealth javascript failure i am seeing?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not a chome thing, but it is very much a google search results/seo thing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yeah lol, google search has some js that fires on link click, replacing the link you clicked with their analytics redirect garbage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

am i crazy or does chrome(-derived browsers) actually on back also sometimes elide an intervening page (which absolutely does have a separate url and seeming http get) when you click through fast or by some criteria like that? or is it some stealth javascript failure i am seeing?

Yes! I was going to mention that too because it seems very similar to the image loader annoyance. Sometimes you'll go from the Google search page a couple pages deep, then go back a few steps and you cannot get back to the search results. It skips directly from the first page you visited to a new tab page, going right past the search results page, I assume because of this clickjacking bullshit. I loving hate it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript was a mistake

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been trying to find/figure out a good lighbox pattern for my personal site forever and I can't find one that works the way I want

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

I really hate this new trend where clicking an image on a web page opens it into a full screen popup overlay, but you have to close it by clicking the X in the corner, because clicking the back button to close it will take you back two pages. So like you google "Subnautica crabsquid," click the first Google link and go directly to the game wiki page, start reading the article, click a picture of a crabsquid, press back on your mouse to close the picture, and rather than returning to the article, now you're back at the Google search results.

And then it's even more hosed up because when you click the forwards button, it skips over the article again and returns you to the blown up image! What the gently caress!

I know that it's because the JavaScript to open the image doesn't count as a loading a new page from the browser's standpoint, and there's some garbage going on there. But from the user's standpoint, opening the image absolutely feels like a new page and the back button should return you to where you were. This is the only case ever where I think hijacking the back button is correct, because the alternative is just loving infuriating.

you can use more javascript to fix this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
we should have just made gopher better instead of inventing web servers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

idk, has anyone tried making web servers better?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
web servers are fine, web browsers are the problem

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

idk, has anyone tried making web servers better?

yes, hasnt worked out real well apparently

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

web servers are fine, web browsers are the problem

basically http was over all not great is what i'm getting at here, we should rethink the idea of transferring hypertext.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it was fine until javascript

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

just have the browser download an activex component

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rotor posted:

we did, check out Gemini, it’s quite the hip thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

we did, check out Gemini, it’s quite the hip thing

is that actually starting to get traction? I looked at it a year or so ago and it was neat.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

rotor posted:

is that actually starting to get traction? I looked at it a year or so ago and it was neat.

enough that people have started to complain about Gemini-exclusive blogs and poo poo, yeah.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

enough that people have started to complain about Gemini-exclusive blogs and poo poo, yeah.

oh hell yeah i gotta get in on this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the creepy crypto twins have seo poisoned "gemini," what is it

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
some blogs are pretty good. there's no cruft, just text. some of the clients are really nice and you can easily customise stuff to suit you (eg big high contrast text if you have bad eyesight)

every so often some genius techbro comes up with a great proposal for tracking users or adding blog paywalls (with cryptocurrency of course)... fortunately it seems like they just get ignored.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

qirex posted:

https://gemini.circumlunar.space/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

tl;dr gopher++

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Plank Walker posted:

idk if anyone here is familar with apple's two factor auth system, but if you log into like icloud on an unknown pc, it pops up a map on your phone telling you where the login request was made and you can accept to get a 6 digit code to punch in on the icloud website. the field for the 6 digit code is actually 6 1-character text boxes and the cursor advances after each digit input, goes back with backspace, and accepts upon entry of the last digit. it's all actually pretty nice

well, paypal has ripped it off, except their 6 digit entry field has some kind of delay between when the cursor enters the next box and when it starts accepting input, so if you are good at typing numbers, you have to sit and wait a beat between each digit or it's gonna miss some of them

Some websites have a 2FA textbox or whatever that won't accept paste events for some godforsaken reason

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

think this is the first time i have seen a thread where the title is dsyp

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I have some actual bad ux to whine about for a minute.

My work laptop connects through one of these turds. The cable is incredibly stiff, the connector is even more awkward and easily damaged than you can imagine and the entire top surface is a power button:
https://i.imgur.com/8gtp4VV.jpg

None of our Important Business Software can recover if your session gets disconnected, and the program we do our most time-consuming work in can fail silently so you only find out when you can't save next time you try.

Accidentally put the laptop to sleep plugging something into the dock? Network drops because you moved the laptop an inch and the flaky connector got dislodged? Hope you saved recently because you're hosed now!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

jammyozzy posted:

the entire top surface is a power button:

lmao

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's not really fair to post engineering software but basically any interface created by researchers with LabView.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey can i just say i loving loathe that every single time adobe updates InDesign (which i can't stop, because it's all creative cloud bullshit!) it resets my workspace to the new "essentials" layout, which has no tools in it?

stop loving with my interface configuration!! i have it the way i like it for a reason!!

it should be illegal to force an update that changes the UI on any software that is used professionally by anyone anywhere on the planet. i don't care if you think it's better for workflow or something. maybe it is. i'll figure that out on my own. right now i need to do work and you need to quit loving with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sorry everything's cloud hosted webshit now, and not only does it auto-update, you can't even preserve the older version. there is no older version