Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all ux you're aware of is bad because you shouldn't notice good ux

unfortunately a decade of steve jobs keynote addresses made product people and executives think users should experience "delight" while using computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eeeehhh...

expert systems and interfaces people use all day to do complex tasks can easily suffer from "intuitive syndrome" where trying to make it easy makes it worse because it adds steps, this is true a lot in financial software where people just want it to be as much like excel as possible and it's not really possible to wizard up editing an accounting calendar or coupon schedule

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I had time I'd change that to say "all truisms about ui/ux are false because there will always be exceptions based on the context, that's literally what design is, idiots"

they should hire me to write greeting cards

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my guess is nobody does it because creating that kind of difficulty gradient would be multiples more expensive than doing both newbie and expert interfaces combined

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

you should pronounce "UX" like "ucks" and not "you-ecks"

would that make ui/ux "oowee-ucks"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yep, i think this is entirely right, *but* i also think that the methodology for how you design a ui for experts is even less understood than ux in general. i.e. lets say you know you get: a months onboarding with users, with courses, teaching materials, and accepted low output for that period; how do you then design the software and training to make the thing as quick and pleasant as use as possible after that month?

this is p much my job, weíre slowly porting an ancient srs business system to a modern ui. generally for what I work on the goals are to be flexible enough that our customers can still do the stupid things they demand to but not so much so they can actually break the incredibly expensive system in a nonrecoverable way

like we have a lot of discussions about whether something should even have an interface or just be an api since in a lot of cases itís faster for the customer to write a few lines of sql than for us to make some over complex query builder ui. our current trend is to identify common tasks and can them in a really simple way that ignores the traditional one screen per object thing our current system does. also, to improve the smaller components that make up the really complex parts we canít improve meaningfully. itís interesting work because itís so huge with so many moving parts but sometimes I feel like Iím trying to bail out the ocean since Iím a team of one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's an old ui cliche that making something faster or more stable is always better

latency on modern web pages is so bad but you need thirty megabytes of javascript to validate input I guess

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been trying to find/figure out a good lighbox pattern for my personal site forever and I can't find one that works the way I want

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the creepy crypto twins have seo poisoned "gemini," what is it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

hey can i just say i loving loathe that every single time adobe updates InDesign (which i can't stop, because it's all creative cloud bullshit!) it resets my workspace to the new "essentials" layout, which has no tools in it?

your saved workspaces are still there, right?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not going to defend adobe, it's entirely possible I've been stockholm syndromed into just accepting how their apps work

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

olorum posted:

hate it when dates in the past are presented like "13 days ago" or "2 months ago", maybe it's a fun intellectual exercise to implement that functionality but I'm not sure how it helps anyone. show me a real date plz

at least some websites are reasonable enough to have the date as a label so you can get it by hovering. but it's still annoying and pointless
I think some of this is to fuzz the obviousness of of algorithmic feeds, and some is just "dates are ugly, let's be more friendly"

in our product we made it so the control shows relative dates, ie "last month" or "last 7 days" then selecting that fills in the date/date range so the values are visible, but being accounting there's at least 3 dates required for everything [sometimes up to 9 with swaps] and it can still get kind of stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

the new electric hummer runs android and uses unreal engine to render the ui. it looks like this

this looks like the macromedia director poo poo I was doing in 1996