Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

you bastard! i saw your post and was going to make a thread but i started writing an actual OP with content and you beat me. :mad:

anyway here are three i had lined up. i assume this thread can be for both bad ux and bad ui? they are related, but different!

this one is the control software we use for our CNC routers. position and command are always open, but are separate windows for some reason. keypad captures your input and you can't click on anything else while it is open. there is a fourth window, spindle speed, which has to be open for the machine to transfer spindle speed commands from the console to the machine. everything will run fine if it's not open, but the spindle will turn whatever speed it feels like and gently caress up your cut.

(yes, it still uses the win9x widgets even in windows 10)

another fun aspect of this program is the job configuration pages, which are made to look like a yellow ruled notepad like you would have in a machine shop. i assume this was to try to make it easy for carpenters getting their first computer in 1995, and they just haven't updated it since.

here is a picture of some labview data collection abomination designed by a mechanical engineer. it's not my photo so i don't know much about it, other than to say that in academia i have often had to use similar pieces of homespun labview software, and being forced to by your supervisor or professor should be considered a cruel and unusual punishment.

finally, here is some software i last used about 10 years ago but i've never forgotten it. this is a program used to customize the look of your airplane in the il-2: 1946 flight simulator. i used it to put RCAF markings on planes that never flew with the canadians, but obviously the most popular function of this software is to put the swastikas back on the german planes so you can accurately roleplay as a nazi. there is only one annotation on this screenshot (the red box); everything else is exactly what the program looks like when you start it up.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

qirex posted:

all ux you're aware of is bad because you shouldn't notice good ux

unfortunately a decade of steve jobs keynote addresses made product people and executives think users should experience "delight" while using computers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

i just like that picture because it's a joke about ux, saying that good ux doesn't have to be explained, like a good joke, and then it explains the joke about ux

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

"yucks"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

in addition to the obvious lol, it looks like they're combining the tail lamps and brake lamps, which absolutely should be banned. i know it was legal back in the day but so were plate glass windshields and lap belts.

these days it is pretty nerve-wracking to be driving behind an old pickup in the rain, taillights on, the only sign that he's slammed on the brakes being a subtle brightening and the rear end suddenly getting a lot closer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

Jonny 290 posted:

i hate the new LED headlights that go winky or turn off on the side the blinker's indicating. much like the cars that shut off at red lights, it makes you look trashy and like a poor vehicle maintainer.

that's a legal requirement. or, more accurately, it is one possible way of meeting the FMVSS code, and becomes the only option if you do dumb poo poo with the lighting design.

to prevent turn signals from being washed out by headlamps, you have to install your turn signals at least 4 inches away from the edge of the headlamp. there are no exceptions to this rule and it is a good idea.

when you have a daytime running light, the rule is similar, but more flexible. you can either:

- install the turn signals at least 4 inches away from the DRL, or
- make the turn signal at least 2.5 times brighter than the DRL, or
- turn off the DRL when the turn signal is operating.

in older cars, DRLs were implemented just by running the low beams or fog lamps all the time. since those were already more than 4 inches away from the turn signal, no problem.

now manufacturers have started installing

Chris Knight posted:

these thin LED strips with no surface area, instead of nice big rectangles of colour.

the headlamp part of the unit is still the proper distance away from the turn signals, but the DRLs are the long eyebrow strips that are so common now. this puts them too close to the turn signals. they could make the turn signals extra extra bright -- but that would be expensive! and also actually pretty loving blinding since those LED DRLs are significantly brighter than old incandescent ones. so the only option left is to turn off the DRL on that side while the turn signal is operating.

:wink:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

oh, and of course there's the dumber implementation too: the DRL itself is also the turn signal, and it just shuts off on one side to blink. those ones really look like they're busted

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

Wild EEPROM posted:

also everyone who seems to have the most blinding searing white headlights of all time and donít give me that poo poo about led refits because this is all on poo poo like new hyundai suvs

yeah no it's definitely a thing.

new headlights are just objectively brighter
and with LEDs that extra brightness is crammed into a smaller, more intense point
and the bluer light glares more than older yellower headlight just because of optical physics
and the cutoff is engineered to be sharper than in the old days so a car going over bumps behind you looks like a strobe light
and cars are just loving huge with brick wall front ends now so there are more of them out there with truck-height headlights shining directly into your skull

it's the worst

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

I really hate this new trend where clicking an image on a web page opens it into a full screen popup overlay, but you have to close it by clicking the X in the corner, because clicking the back button to close it will take you back two pages. So like you google "Subnautica crabsquid," click the first Google link and go directly to the game wiki page, start reading the article, click a picture of a crabsquid, press back on your mouse to close the picture, and rather than returning to the article, now you're back at the Google search results.

And then it's even more hosed up because when you click the forwards button, it skips over the article again and returns you to the blown up image! What the gently caress!

I know that it's because the JavaScript to open the image doesn't count as a loading a new page from the browser's standpoint, and there's some garbage going on there. But from the user's standpoint, opening the image absolutely feels like a new page and the back button should return you to where you were. This is the only case ever where I think hijacking the back button is correct, because the alternative is just loving infuriating.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

am i crazy or does chrome(-derived browsers) actually on back also sometimes elide an intervening page (which absolutely does have a separate url and seeming http get) when you click through fast or by some criteria like that? or is it some stealth javascript failure i am seeing?

Yes! I was going to mention that too because it seems very similar to the image loader annoyance. Sometimes you'll go from the Google search page a couple pages deep, then go back a few steps and you cannot get back to the search results. It skips directly from the first page you visited to a new tab page, going right past the search results page, I assume because of this clickjacking bullshit. I loving hate it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

hey can i just say i loving loathe that every single time adobe updates InDesign (which i can't stop, because it's all creative cloud bullshit!) it resets my workspace to the new "essentials" layout, which has no tools in it?

stop loving with my interface configuration!! i have it the way i like it for a reason!!

it should be illegal to force an update that changes the UI on any software that is used professionally by anyone anywhere on the planet. i don't care if you think it's better for workflow or something. maybe it is. i'll figure that out on my own. right now i need to do work and you need to quit loving with me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

qirex posted:

your saved workspaces are still there, right?

yes they are

and it still fucks me up enough when i first start the program and it's just a blank toolbar, and i hit tab a few times, and then blink and go UGH THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN and load my saved workspace.

i don't care if this is an irrational irritation. why can't they record the workspace i was using and restore it after an update

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

oh me too. i checked out that adobe gripes tumblr, which doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015, but half of the illustrator bugs are still there and as i read them i'm like "lol i guess that is technically a bug. but it's just how illustrator works"

every new one still makes me mad though. and changing up the interface is a new one every time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

hey, no, come on, our software isn't named after a slur for a person with physical disabilities! we aren't like that.

our software is named after a bit from a quentin tarantino movie where a character is brutally raped! well, more specifically it's named after a certain type of sex slave that appears in that scene, but most people's awareness of the concept in popular culture would be -- hey, where are you going?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

photoshop is actually one of the best adobe products. it is kinda bloated like everything else, but it doesn't have all that many bugs and they don't gently caress with the core functionality. it does the job and nothing else quite gets to the same level. there's nothing wrong with photoshop other than adobe's licensing.

it's all the other adobe products that are hot garbage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

Pulcinella posted:

Blender UI has gotten loads and loads better (I would say itís the best open source project thats an actual app and not just some math library)

i think blender probably has the best ratio of UI quality to software complexity for an open-source project. there are plenty of simpler open-source tools that have better UIs. the best i can say about blender is that it's very dense at first but in a logical way, and it's very powerful once you understand its workflow, which makes it no worse than any other 3d modeling program.

Pulcinella posted:

So yeah I guess Iím one of those people who is always requesting new features and then other people wonder how software gets so bloated.

i don't think that having a lot of features makes something bloated. bloat happens when you add features without organizing them appropriately, so they clutter up the interface or slow the system down even when you aren't using them.

rhino is a great example of a feature-packed but highly unbloated software. here is a partial list of the selection tools:

you don't need to know or use 97% of those to be able to use the program, so they are hidden in the command line instead of being crammed into toolbars. but when you're an advanced user and you are like "drat, selecting every face on this giant face loop is killing me, i wish there was a shortcut" -- it's right there. the UI never gets more cluttered and the program doesn't bog down with 500 checkboxes that load every time you open the selection tool. it's always smooth and responsive. ❤🦏

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

sweet, can't wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

carry on then already is that.

and that's FINE because any number of people can be any number of things. it's totally fine