Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
posited: blender has a good UI

software doing advanced tasks should be set up to make it streamlined for proficient users, not beginners

that said idk. I have an inkling I could be good at this and in fact want to, but who knows. certain yospos characters repeatedly make it clear that working in a job ruins everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
works as intended

I reckon the UI on the twitter ios app is actually pretty good. lots of excellent decisions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh.. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Literally every website in the past 10 years.

Also, every mobile site.

Also, anything ever designed by someone who's experience is 'front end only'.

Also, literally everything wrapped in Electron, save Discord.

sounds like you need to turn on your monitor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plank Walker posted:

more bad ux: pressing the windows key and typing to search has lag before it starts accepting input so if you don't wait a tick before typing, it's gonna miss the first letter and then when you hit enter, instead of opening vs code, it's gonna open a web search for odell beckham jr

my
max book pro when you open it starts accepting text input immediately but it’s not actually ready for a password because a second later it resets the box and is then actually ready. so it’s very easy to type the first few letter of the password and then the end of the password into the box that actually works

ever since one particular update. used to work flawlessly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ableton is starting to feel very last gen with the way it does loads of things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we always and I mean daily, get prescriptions with an item or two missing. I know it’s missing because I can see what a person got last time and there’s something missing

when the doctor tho, if someone hasn’t clicked the box “regular med” on their software when they’re started a new med, and the doctor recalls regular medicines, it goes missing and doctor doesn’t know

if that person goes to a different pharmacy well then there’s no history and if the person isn’t very sharp they might not even notice the lack of medicine

the poor UI here literally breaks my heart and makes me fart

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
davinci resolve is a good one because it’s very powerful software but somehow doesn’t feel like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
discord has an ok ux except for one glaring thing they’re refuse to fix* but the biggest gripe is that it’s a great tool that is useful for many communities but leans into the gamer aesthetic

I have it set up for a pharmacy group and it’s basically perfect except that I cringe when I imagine health professionals opening up the app for the first time

*apparently if you have it open on your desktop, you can’t force it to send notifications to all devices, so i could be logged in at home and miss an important notification on my phone because home pc got the notifications. apparently this is working as intended. ok but why the gently caress isn’t there an option?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the saviour who can fix it all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gm: :smugmrgw: nope

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s with websites like google that requires username press enter then new screen then password

is it to gently caress up password managers? sometimes it feels like some websites try to make it more difficult to use pass word managers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tiktok has a pretty good ui/ux all over

the desktop website is very good. all the tools work well

and the iphone app works so well. making the video fullscreen and putting the controls on the video is actaully a great idea, because they all work so well. its so smooth going between videos.

its good. im risking it all by making this claim

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress adobe

your poo poo?

its garbage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unreal engine is a an amazing tool as far as what you can create in it, but it’s UI feels clunky. I need to go use it to give some examples

one thing is that with most tools you can get to a
competent state, and once you’re there you can make decent judgemental calls as to what’s bad, and what’s good

blender for example has a tool menu thing. like a cad program, every function can be run from a console so this makes every function searchable. I have space bar set to bringing up the tool search so i don’t have to hunt for tools. this menu could do with some effort as far as remembering commonly used functions and more flexibility in the search but it’s very good

and like if you’re selecting and merging vertices for example, you press the hot key and a menu appears under the mouse cursor and gives you five options and every subsequent time the menu will have moved so the last selected option is under the cursor. these kinds of UI tricks are such a pleasure and I appreciate

when I was in affinity photo, I wanted a tool but i had to
google to find out what menu it was in. never necessary in blender coz of the search thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that does sound pretty cool. if only I used my mac for anything worthwhile

Sagebrush posted:

you don't need to know or use 97% of those to be able to use the program, so they are hidden in the command line instead of being crammed into toolbars.

one of the biggest burdens blender is left with is that it might have powerful selection options (or something else that’s just an example) but if you look for them and end up googling for them you’ll just have a bunch of “press h then j then ctrl-backflip” due to the nature of the blender community. suffers the same fate that linux does in that a million users use it a million different ways and so the lack of feeling like there is a one true way to use it I reckon is not a good thing. can’t really articulate why but that’s my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol