Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thats right, greenpos is an abomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

there's this vast gulf between newbie UIs that emphasize discovery and guard rails and stuff and then expert UIs like clis and things like trading terminals and bridging that gap is really hard and no one does it, it's basically this usability bathtub curve

That big thing some years back when everyone discovered chatbots was neat because chatbots can do a pretty good job straddling that gap.

I saw this project a while ago that was bascially a CLI with a gui layered over it in what was basically intellisense for bash or whatever cli thing they were doing and i thought that was really good.

alexa straddles the gap between dumbass newbie ui and a cli. it's really bad lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

posited: blender has a good UI

software doing advanced tasks should be set up to make it streamlined for proficient users, not beginners

that said idk. I have an inkling I could be good at this and in fact want to, but who knows. certain yospos characters repeatedly make it clear that working in a job ruins everything.

agreed. blender is good now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

I really hate this new trend where clicking an image on a web page opens it into a full screen popup overlay, but you have to close it by clicking the X in the corner, because clicking the back button to close it will take you back two pages. So like you google "Subnautica crabsquid," click the first Google link and go directly to the game wiki page, start reading the article, click a picture of a crabsquid, press back on your mouse to close the picture, and rather than returning to the article, now you're back at the Google search results.

And then it's even more hosed up because when you click the forwards button, it skips over the article again and returns you to the blown up image! What the gently caress!

I know that it's because the JavaScript to open the image doesn't count as a loading a new page from the browser's standpoint, and there's some garbage going on there. But from the user's standpoint, opening the image absolutely feels like a new page and the back button should return you to where you were. This is the only case ever where I think hijacking the back button is correct, because the alternative is just loving infuriating.

you can use more javascript to fix this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

we should have just made gopher better instead of inventing web servers

idk, has anyone tried making web servers better?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think they should name it an even worse slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

that does sound pretty cool. if only I used my mac for anything worthwhile

one of the biggest burdens blender is left with is that it might have powerful selection options (or something else that’s just an example) but if you look for them and end up googling for them you’ll just have a bunch of “press h then j then ctrl-backflip” due to the nature of the blender community. suffers the same fate that linux does in that a million users use it a million different ways and so the lack of feeling like there is a one true way to use it I reckon is not a good thing. can’t really articulate why but that’s my opinion

yah i kinda agree with this. people will often tell you the buttons they use to do something instead of telling you what theyre doing, and most things have at least 2-3 ways to do them