Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I want to run a bracket for user voted best rap song of all time. Titled it 2022. Maybe next year will have different submissions and a different winner. Obviously there isn't a real answer, but seems pretty loving fun to me.

Currently nominations are open. I'm shooting for 64 good rear end submissions. Open to the idea for more. Once we get 64/whatever; I'll draft a tournament bracket. gently caress it maybe even double elim some how lol.

Rules:
- Someone nominates a song, rule edit: someone can veto the nomination and we'll settle it after
-We need to sort of standardize submissions. Please give a decent write up on your submission on why it's nominee worthy. Anyone can nominate any song as many times as they want, but please at least try to sell it. I'll attach the reasoning to the master list when the time comes.

That being said a sort of loose point system/things to consider when nominating

-bar quality / creativity
-flow / delivery
-production / beat
-historical significance / game changing qualities / year of release

open to other people's ideas on what all to weigh when putting a nomination out there before I start submitting my own. :cheers:

Ideally at the end of this we have Hbag's playlist creator to feature all of these songs.

Nominations
1.Nas - NY State of Mind (Sharks Eat Bear)
2.Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks On Me
3. Outkast - B.O.B. (buffalo all day)
4.Pete Rock and CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.) (signalnoise)
5.gang starr - moment of truth
6.gang starr - above the clouds (Game-blouses)
7.dr dre and snoop dogg - still d.r.e (Grevlek)
8. wutang clan - method man (DOPE FIEND KILLA G)
9. souls of mischief - '93 til infinity (Dynamite Dog)
10. Mobb Deep - Shook Ones, Pt. II (GentlemanofLeisure)
11. Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want (Misc)
12.Nelly - Country Grammar (Dynamite Dog)
13. Doomsday - MF DOOM (Famethrowa)
14. Kendrick Lamar - How Much A Dollar Cost (Fucker)
15.a tribe called quest - award tour (BigFactory)
16. Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full (hot cocoa on the couch)
17.M.O.P. - Cold as Ice (Shibawanko)
18. mos def - ms fat booty (BigFactory)
19. Roots Manuva - Witness (1 Hope)
20. a tribe called quest - scenario (Enos Cabell)
21.T.I. - King (Dynamite Dog)
22. clipse - grindin' (buffalo all day)
23. Public Enemy - Fight The Power (rear end-penny)
24. Kool G Rap - It's A Shame (Lil Swamp Booger Baby)
25. Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy (harperdc)
26. run dmc - rock box (Shibawanko)
27. UGK Ft.OutKast International Players Anthem (t a s t e)
28. kanye - runaway (t a s t e)
29. Eminem - The Real Slim Shady (barnold)
30. de la soul ft MF DOOM - Rock Co.Kane Flow (highme)
31. Odd Future - Oldie (DC Murderverse)
32. Pusha T - The Story of Adidon (Dynamite Dog)
33. 50 Cent - Ghetto Quran (Dynamite Dog)
34. 2Pac & Dr. Dre - California Love (Sharks Eat Bear)
35. UGK - Diamonds & Wood (Sharks Eat Bear)
36. Kendrick Lamar - The Art of Peer Pressure (Sharks Eat Bear)
37. Haiku d'Etat - Non Compos Mentis (g0m)
38. De La Soul - I Am I Be (Kuvo)
39. Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise (EVERY TIME GOING)
40. tupac - dear mama (LorneReams)
41. danny brown - 30
42. Ol' Dirty Bastard ft. Kelis - Got Your Money (signalnoise)
43. Gza - 4th Chamber Feat. Ghostface Killah, Killah Priest & Rza
44. digable planets - rebirth of slick cool like dat (Chrix)
45. Mos Def feat. Pharoahe Monch & Nate Dogg - Oh No (pog boyfriend)
46. Wu-Tang Clan - Careful Click, Click (epic prison guy)
47. Clipse - Momma I'm So Sorry (Mao Zedong Thot)
48. IAM - Demain c'est loin (Love Stole the Day)
49. Three 6 Mafia - Walk Up To Your House (t a s t e )
50. Three 6 Mafia feat UGK - Sippin' on Some Syrup (Grevlek)
51. three 6 mafia ft pimp c - i got (Dynamite Dog)
52. JAY-Z - Takeover (twerking on the railroad)
53. 3rd Bass feat Zev Love X - Gas Face (highme)
54. Onyx feat. Biohazard - Judgment Night (BigFactory)
55. Death Grips - Takyon (Death Yon) (copy)
56. DMX - X Gon' Give It To Ya (t a s t e)

insane anime fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Nas - NY State of Mind

Could probably make an argument for any track from Illmatic, but NY State of Mind stands out as an opener that perfectly sets the bar for everything else to come on an album that is widely regarded as one of, if not the greatest ever.

Every element of the song is top tier, but my favorite part of this song and Illmatic in general is Nas' flow. I actually think his opening line hits on this -- "monkey flip em with the funky rhythm". Lot of contemporary east coast gangsta rap at the time was focused on speed and getting more triplets into each bar. Nas doesn't try to kill you with speed, he goes slow enough that his rhymes hit even harder, and that gives him more room for more complex multi-word rhymes and also makes for a more vivid story.

My favorite line from the song:

quote:

I'm a addict for sneakers, 20's of Buddha and bitches with beepers
In the streets I can greet ya, about blunts I teach ya

I could write a lot more but don't want to be overkill so will just stop there...

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

lol i was writing a similar thread in my head last night. glad it got made.don't got any noms yet but pumpedto see what the thread produces

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Nas - NY State of Mind

Could probably make an argument for any track from Illmatic, but NY State of Mind stands out as an opener that perfectly sets the bar for everything else to come on an album that is widely regarded as one of, if not the greatest ever.

Every element of the song is top tier, but my favorite part of this song and Illmatic in general is Nas' flow. I actually think his opening line hits on this -- "monkey flip em with the funky rhythm". Lot of contemporary east coast gangsta rap at the time was focused on speed and getting more triplets into each bar. Nas doesn't try to kill you with speed, he goes slow enough that his rhymes hit even harder, and that gives him more room for more complex multi-word rhymes and also makes for a more vivid story.

I could write a lot more but don't want to be overkill so will just stop there...

Def not overkill. I agree completely. I love when an album has a strong opener and a strong closer..Illmatic definitely has that. So points for that, and one thing that you didn't even touch on was his age (probably because everyone already knows this) and the time period. He was young as gently caress and it wouldnt sound out of place if it came out today except for the fact that its too loving good lol. The beat too. Great submission and definitely a contender .

Co signing, obviously.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
not a poet so i wont pretend to be, and itd really just bring shame to the submisison lol. but i nominate

Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks on Me

i love the angle of the song where you got these certified gangsters opening up about all the negatives that come along with the lifestyle. a lot of artists always touch on the badass stuff that comes with the territory of being a rap star / thug but i think this is one of the best expressions of the negatives.. sadness captured thru the retelling of funny stories. you can really feel the paranoia and almost imagine what its like. it isnt loving corny at all. its cool as hell

the beat, isaac hayes sample is perfect and everyone really captures the psychosis that evidently comes with killing people, selling drugs, and evading the law on each verse. easy to love

insane anime fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 13, 2022

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

B.O.B. - Outkast

Two absolutely insane verses by Outkast when they were at the peak of their powers. The song starts with those little twinkling notes and Andre 3000 whispers the countdown and that BOOM you're into the song (the beat loving crushes) and he's going a million miles an hour but you can still somehow understand every word. Then bam, he's out and the chorus is kicking in. And then Big Boi comes in with his verse and goes toe to toe with Dre, like showing he could and he was pissed that people were underrating him. The rapping is basically done 2 and half minutes in and then there's the extended instrumental that somehow owns just as hard as the verses. It's not like anything else on the album and it definitely got overshadowed by Ms. Jackson and So Fresh, So Clean. My favorite lines are from Big Boi's verse, they aren't mindblowing but the flow is so good:

Like that there Boi and will still stay street
Big things happen every time we meet
Like a track team, crack fiend, dyin' to geek
Outkast bumpin' up and down the street
Slam back, Cadillac, 'bout five nigga deep
Seventy-five emcee's freestylin' to the beat

It's just completely unmistakably it's own thing, no one else could have done it, and it's perfect, imo

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Nas - NY State of Mind

co signing this, i love this album and it's an amazing first track, i can hear it in my head right now

insane anime posted:

not a poet so i wont pretend to be, and itd really just bring shame to the submisison lol. but i nominate

Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks on Me

i love the angle of the song where you got these certified gangsters opening up about all the negatives that come along with the lifestyle. a lot of artists always touch on the badass stuff that comes with the territory of being a rap star / thug but i think this is one of the best expressions of the negatives.. sadness captured thru the retelling of funny stories. you can really feel the paranoia and almost imagine what its like. it isnt loving corny at all. its cool as hell

the beat, isaac hayes sample is perfect and everyone really captures the psychosis that evidently comes with killing people, selling drugs, and evading the law on each verse. easy to love

also co-signed, i didn't listen to this song until about 5 years ago and it's unbelievably good. hasn't aged a day. scarface is a genius

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

my nomination is Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan (1965)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0
thasts right folks, this is it right here, the original rap song written in 1965 by this girlish white jew. something to keep in mind when people try to practice gatekeeping in hip hop. whats there to say about such a truly classic song? not only did dylan invtent a genre that nobody would even touch for another 10 years but it was also the worlds first music video. talk about innovation. dylans rhymes are slick. the song covers all the topics youd want in a classic rap song (selling drugs, running from the cops, going to jail, trying to find pants that fit, etc). not to meniton, props to nas and biggie and gza all some of the finest there ever was, but did you know bob dylan was literally given a nobel prize in literature for his lyrics? thats definitely a first in the world of hip hop, props to the master. what else uh, i mean the song fuckin rips. dylan has fuckin drip in that video. oh, that bald guy behind him? thats allen ginsberg, the famous poet. part of dylans posse. the original bitch mob. oh and the lyrics provided the namesake for the 1969 radical leftist lback power organization the weathermen. lets see flavor flav inspire osmething like that

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

buffalo all day posted:

B.O.B. - Outkast

Two absolutely insane verses by Outkast when they were at the peak of their powers. The song starts with those little twinkling notes and Andre 3000 whispers the countdown and that BOOM you're into the song (the beat loving crushes) and he's going a million miles an hour but you can still somehow understand every word. Then bam, he's out and the chorus is kicking in. And then Big Boi comes in with his verse and goes toe to toe with Dre, like showing he could and he was pissed that people were underrating him. The rapping is basically done 2 and half minutes in and then there's the extended instrumental that somehow owns just as hard as the verses. It's not like anything else on the album and it definitely got overshadowed by Ms. Jackson and So Fresh, So Clean. My favorite lines are from Big Boi's verse, they aren't mindblowing but the flow is so good:

It's just completely unmistakably it's own thing, no one else could have done it, and it's perfect, imo

co-signed, I could hear this song at a funeral and still feel amped

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
before i read this got rid of the cosign rule. think we all gonna play nice here lol, no one gonna bother trolling. I do think the veto rule is a good replacement. if enough ppl agree to veto then its out rather than voting to get in

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm gonna go with They Reminisce Over You by Pete Rock & CL Smooth

I don't think Pete Rock and CL Smooth are often cited as being huge innovators but you can't deny that it's a drat significant song, referenced over and over since its release. It's broadly relatable and CL wasn't doing crazy stuff with his rhyme schemes, but his delivery is solid as gently caress and you'll never take that away from that song. It's always going to be good. It's just a great, timeless classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mdRv0ZdR8

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

buffalo all day posted:

B.O.B. - Outkast

wait. 1999.. i never realize.d what the fuk

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

B.O.B. - Outkast

we ain't co signing but drat this is the poo poo.. back in uni when I was living in a poo poo hole basement apartment I'd just blare this and white rear end rap along until my upstairs neighbour came down and cussed me out hahaha

Big boi's rap is so smooth (no d to the u to the g for you got a son on the way by the name of bamboo) but Dre just brings this insane energy that has me running from yeah, I'm listening to this song twice per album play so d good. great rec 5/5

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

signalnoise posted:

I'm gonna go with They Reminisce Over You by Pete Rock & CL Smooth

I don't think Pete Rock and CL Smooth are often cited as being huge innovators but you can't deny that it's a drat significant song, referenced over and over since its release. It's broadly relatable and CL wasn't doing crazy stuff with his rhyme schemes, but his delivery is solid as gently caress and you'll never take that away from that song. It's always going to be good. It's just a great, timeless classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mdRv0ZdR8

absolutely. wouldnt be one of my first choices but then once you relisten youre like drat why didnt i think of this. i just think the beat alone can carry this loving thing. everyone knows that lazy rear end horn and immediately it feels like youre at a 90s cook out or something

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

thasts right folks, this is it right here, the original rap song written in 1965 by this girlish white jew. something to keep in mind when people try to practice gatekeeping in hip hop. whats there to say about such a truly classic song? not only did dylan invtent a genre that nobody would even touch for another 10 years but it was also the worlds first music video. talk about innovation. dylans rhymes are slick. the song covers all the topics youd want in a classic rap song (selling drugs, running from the cops, going to jail, trying to find pants that fit, etc). not to meniton, props to nas and biggie and gza all some of the finest there ever was, but did you know bob dylan was literally given a nobel prize in literature for his lyrics? thats definitely a first in the world of hip hop, props to the master. what else uh, i mean the song fuckin rips. dylan has fuckin drip in that video. oh, that bald guy behind him? thats allen ginsberg, the famous poet. part of dylans posse. the original bitch mob. oh and the lyrics provided the namesake for the 1969 radical leftist lback power organization the weathermen. lets see flavor flav inspire osmething like that

https://i.imgur.com/7GbBRTS.mp4

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
i nominate Still D.R.E. by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg from 2001 released in 1999

here is an family friendly edited version from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk

-bar quality / creativity
in my opinion, the weakest part of the song. the good doctor likes to remind us of the activities that constitute his life, and he does so once again, but now telling you about how his life has impacted your own life. jay-z wrote the lyrics, billionaire to billionaire, much respect

the pivotal passage:

"Dr. Dre" posted:

still puffing my leafs
still gently caress with the beats
still not loving police
still rock my khakis with a cuff and a crease
still got love for the streets, reppin' 213
still the beats bang
still doing my thang
since i left ain't too much changed.... still

-flow / delivery
i mean let's be real, there aint nothing like the straightforward delivery and swagger the spills out the good doctor's pie hole everytime he rocks the mic. snoop does his thing on the hook, just dropping a couple of pennies on that 95.

-production / beat
this is where things get interesting. Scott Storch is probably the role model for many of the posters in this subforum. it's simple, it's loving classy, and you know exactly what is 'bout to happen when you hear it. dre will always be a better producer than a rapper, but in many respects he's a director/executive producer of a lil film called 'Life: aka the Game'

-historical significance / game changing qualities / year of release
the return of the king. in my opinion, this album launched a second renaissance of west coast inspired mainstream rap, without this we wouldn't have eminem, 50cent, and all the other street hustlers that carried us until the club-hop scene of the mid to late 2000s. with only 3 solo studio albums to his name, and the worst one of them better than most of the other albums to come out that same year ( compton 2015 ). the good doctor provided the soundtrack of my childhood, of my teenage years, of my wistful late 20s, and i hope he releases one more teaching me how to enjoy my time at the top while we wait for the game to stop

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

2nd nomination method man by the wu-tang clan (1993) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnwXYJcSZc

you know what it is. an unimpeachable classic. one of the only 2 solo tracks on enter the wu-tang, a testament to meth's prowess as an mc that he's able to carry this track by himself and its just as strong as anything on the album, which might be the best album in all of hip hop. meth's flow goes and goes. great beat by rza. i like how the piano chord punctuates meth's rhymes. i like the break in the middle. i like the party where method man is handing out free bags of meth. i like the mix-ups meth does with his flow.

In fact I snap back like a rubber
Band, I be Sam Sam I am
And I dont eat green eggs and ham
Style will hit ya, wham!, then goddamn
You be like oh poo poo that's the jam

most of these lines are wacky but meth just loving sells it man. he's the genuine article. the true og.

Hittin' you from every angle, there's no doubt I
Am the one and only Method Man
The master of the plan, rappin' poo poo like Saran
Wrap, with some of this and some of that
Hold up (What?) I tawt I taw a putty tat
Over there, but I think he best to beware
Of the diggy dog poo poo right here
Yippy-yippy-yay, yippy-yah, yippy-yo
Like Deck said, "This ain't your average flow"

chessboxing is probably the better track, okay fine its definitely better, but gently caress man you have to give it up for meth. good poo poo. oh and also there's the torture skit, you can't skip that.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

i have a couple nominations but i'm going to keep them all real different to justify it

first, the one closest to my heart

Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXJc2NYwHjw

An absolutely timeless classic about drinking, smoking, and trying to pick up girls with your friends that anyone can relate to. It's not a full Hieroglyphics track, but they're niche stuff, and Souls of Mischief made it beyond that with this song and put dense flow heavy and chill bay area rap on the map.

Every verse on it is amazing, and in typical hiero fashion every verse flows totally seamless the whole way.

The beat alone is enough to relax any human with a heart. It's so warm.

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 13, 2022

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

i have a couple nominations but i'm going to keep them all real different to justify it

first, the one closest to my heart

Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXJc2NYwHjw

An absolutely timeless classic about drinking, smoking, and trying to pick up girls with your friends that anyone can relate to. It's not a full Hieroglyphics track, but they're niche stuff, and Souls of Mischief made it beyond that with this song and put dense flow heavy and chill bay area rap on the map.

Every verse on it is amazing, and in typical hiero fashion every verse flows totally seamless the whole way.

The beat alone is enough to relax any human with a heart. It's so warm.

this was my number 2 so you get a cosine

edit - just think back to your life in 1993, jamming some snes, maybe a sega genesis if you nasty, life was good

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Mobb Deep - Shook Ones, Pt. II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKpYJ80OVQ

You heard of us / Official Queensbridge Murderers

You can't really talk about 90's East Coast rap without Mobb Deep, and this is arguably their best song. Firstly, the production by Havoc is unfuckwithable. From the first second, when you hear the snare and hi hat, you instantly know what song is about to play, and then after a few seconds, THAT SAMPLE comes in. For such a popular song, it is incredible how long it took for someone to figure out where the sample came from. The first time I saw this video I got the chills. Aside from the sample, the beat is pretty simple, repeating throughout the song without really changing it up at all. But it does its job perfectly meshing with the samples and making a great backdrop for the lyrics. They lyrics, like the beat, could be described as simple. Not saying that in a negative way, but there is no complex wordplay, and the ends of each bar usually rhyme. It's a couple of great rappers just spitting bars that perfectly ride the beat, almost like another instrument. The content is incredibly violent and fits in with the New York Gangster Rap genre of the time. You could write a million other words about this song, but it's one of the most perfect rap songs of all time.

e: ^^^^ u had to have the Sega cause you could get the blood on Mortal Kombat

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 13, 2022

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

So What'cha Want by Beastie Boys

everyone wants to talk about paul's boutique. sample collage production dust brothers blah blah blah. gently caress that. paul's boutique ain't got songs. it's got like two songs. we're talking about songs. the track that really summarizes their sound from '92-'12 is so what'cha want.

in '92 the beasties were considered a played out pop rap bottle rocket from the 80s. their last record faded, they blew all their money partying and recording. then check your head came out and they were cool again. this time actually cool. the kind that lasts.

they weren't the first rap group to play their own instruments but the way they did it was sick. mario could record a huge sound and the boys would chop their own poo poo up in a sampler then use it. and just listen to how much that loop bangs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7sX0QsG38

as far as the rapping goes, they keep it classic and mostly clean, but they made a statement on this one by doing verses separate and not doing the run dmc shouting the end of lines thing that they love to do. and the video is just as classic as the rest of theirs. i think it might've been the first to do that slow mo but in sync effect.

but don't just take my word for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEgNprT5xoY

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

uh rap was created behind the austrian portion of the iron curtain by an effeminate cokehead named Falco nice try tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-bgiiTxhzM

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I was considering picking a Beastie Boys song and yeah this is a great selection!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You can't really talk about 90's East Coast rap without Mobb Deep, and this is arguably their best song. Firstly, the production by Havoc is unfuckwithable. From the first second, when you hear the snare and hi hat, you instantly know what song is about to play, and then after a few seconds, THAT SAMPLE comes in. For such a popular song, it is incredible how long it took for someone to figure out where the sample came from. The first time I saw this video I got the chills. Aside from the sample, the beat is pretty simple, repeating throughout the song without really changing it up at all. But it does its job perfectly meshing with the samples and making a great backdrop for the lyrics. They lyrics, like the beat, could be described as simple. Not saying that in a negative way, but there is no complex wordplay, and the ends of each bar usually rhyme. It's a couple of great rappers just spitting bars that perfectly ride the beat, almost like another instrument. The content is incredibly violent and fits in with the New York Gangster Rap genre of the time. You could write a million other words about this song, but it's one of the most perfect rap songs of all time.

love mobb deep, love this album. was thinking about nominating either this or just step or cradle to the grave.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

second one and last one for the night

first though, hip hop in the year 2000: ghostface, half of the guys that would be on rocafella, big pun, dead prez, and busta rhymes all put out albums that are real grimy. outkast is pushing the envelope, but they were evolving quickly, not really shattering stuff.

then some guy in st louis drops an album that sounds super clean and is mostly a simple 808 beat under a basically acoustic guitar and something that sounds like a doorbell chime. and it loving slaps.

there are an absolute ton of rappers today that wouldn't be in the game without Nelly pushing this style as hard and as well as he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_BUA9eFC4

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

second one and last one for the night

first though, hip hop in the year 2000: ghostface, half of the guys that would be on rocafella, big pun, dead prez, and busta rhymes all put out albums that are real grimy. outkast is pushing the envelope, but they were evolving quickly, not really shattering stuff.

then some guy in st louis drops an album that sounds super clean and is mostly a simple 808 beat under a basically acoustic guitar and something that sounds like a doorbell chime. and it loving slaps.

there are an absolute ton of rappers today that wouldn't be in the game without Nelly pushing this style as hard and as well as he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_BUA9eFC4

drat bro you on a roll! as a kid from the midwest this poo poo banged so hard when it came out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

someone pick a DOOM track so i odnt have to try and choose

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

someone pick a DOOM track so i odnt have to try and choose

gently caress it

Doomsday by MF Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBHDWpK1yo

beautiful smooth beat with tongue twister spitting just floating along effortlessly on top...his best song for driving around with the windows down in the summer

On Doomsday, ever since the womb
‘Til I'm back where my brother went, that's what my tomb will say
Right above my government; Dumile
Either unmarked or engraved, hey, who's to say?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

gently caress it

Doomsday by MF Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBHDWpK1yo

beautiful smooth beat with tongue twister spitting just floating along effortlessly on top...his best song for driving around with the windows down in the summer

On Doomsday, ever since the womb
‘Til I'm back where my brother went, that's what my tomb will say
Right above my government; Dumile
Either unmarked or engraved, hey, who's to say?

this

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

clicked here to post this. god tier.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
recency bias on this one and ik it has no chance against the rest of the field but Kendrick Lamar - How Much A Dollar Cost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kEiL81_R4

great sampling of some obscure sweedish jazz music. great lyrics that feel like ur reading a parable. great mixing. great finale. pretty sure im still gonna be replaying this one decades from now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Award Tour - Tribe Called Quest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P800UWoE9xs

So chill, amazing production, never gets old. Jazz, soul, funk, hip hop. Milt Jackson with a vibes solo in the middle of a verse, Trugoy on the chorus. Do that do that do do that that that. It’s positive but it’s not dopey, it’s just about getting respect and being chill. Perfect song

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
XD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 13, 2022

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:imunfunny:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
XD

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 13, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QnJFhuOWgXg

It’s gotta be in, right?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim

this song has been so long considered "the best" hip hop track of all time i'm actually shocked it's not in here yet. it seems almost trite to suggest it. like anyone who googles "best rap song" will often find this at the top of so many lists, it's almost boring and bandwagon-ey to suggest it. but imo it's for good reason. this track was groundbreaking in 1987, and it still holds up today. a display of lyricism and flow from rakim that changed the game and kickstarted his rap career that would eventually propel him to legendary status. simple production and a timeless beat gets out of rakim's way and lays the ground work for his effortless, laidback but still technical lyrical delivery. the track is short but to the point. i wasn't even born yet for a couple more years in 1987, but i've listened to plenty of hip hop from the era, and rakim is markedly different. no reliance on overt machismo, showboating or exaggerated gangster vocabulary, just tight bars delivered perfectly. rakim may have been the first big rapper to focus on lyrical delivery ("flow") and wordplay over what was the then-prominent battle rapper/gangster style.

i nominate Eric B. & Rakim's "Paid in Full"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9270o2_vQg0
I nominate M.O.P. - Cold as Ice

I don't think the song is terribly original or anything but M.O.P. make up for this in sheer energy and a combination of just being cool and having a sense of humor with lines like "When delivering these M.O.P. tactics / I'll bury you bastards, I custom make caskets" and "Stop him if you could (You're as cold as ice) / And you'll be, stiff as a log in a suit looking nice". It's the overall tone of the song, the nice beat and the unpretentious, universal theme of killing people when they cross you that sell it. I also really like Ante Up but Cold as Ice is one of the few songs I actually like to play on repeat sometimes

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I almost want to veto because I like ante up so much and am constantly amazed that they got a song so loving aggressive in the publics mind.

Think how many white people know a song that they don’t realize is about straight up violently robbing people on the street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

i just don't get how this is fun for him, he's posted more than me and i actually enjoy this forum's topic

e: consider this a veto on all poopendorfer nominations present and future