Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

wonderful write up. saves me the trouble :p. ill save my piece for when i gotta convince people that danny browns 30 is going to the finals. will respond more later. im going to bang a hot latina rear end and watch some arrested development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:cheersdoge:

I asked Danny's DJ if they'd do that song before a show. He said yes, they didn't. I guess it's hard for him to perform emotionally?? idk

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

all rise for the national anthem

t a s t e posted:

What I am nominating from the 00s is this classic:

UGK ft. Outkast - Intl. Player's Anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awMIbA34MT8

Pimp C and Bun B are legends in their own right, but for me Andre 3000 and Big Boi really pull the track to its heights. Outkast's music means a lot to me as Hey Ya was my bridge into the genre and I went backward from there after that. Getting to see them on their halfhearted reunion tour was bittersweet and I won't soon forget it.

The beat's crazy. Juicy J gets a credit because it was originally a 3 6 Mafia song that didn't take off or something, so that's cool. Everyone has a good-to incredible verse on this and they manage to tell stories that basically run the gamut of their experience with women. It's touching, funny, and always impressive. Iconic video too. Just a perfect song for driving by yourself or blasting at a function. It's the best rap song of the 2000s.

rap music rules

my one regret from my wedding was not working the instrumental to this in somehow. but yeah, this song is a stone-cold classic (RIP Pimp C)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

t a s t e posted:

What I am nominating from the 00s is this classic:

UGK ft. Outkast - Intl. Player's Anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awMIbA34MT8

Pimp C and Bun B are legends in their own right, but for me Andre 3000 and Big Boi really pull the track to its heights. Outkast's music means a lot to me as Hey Ya was my bridge into the genre and I went backward from there after that. Getting to see them on their halfhearted reunion tour was bittersweet and I won't soon forget it.

The beat's crazy. Juicy J gets a credit because it was originally a 3 6 Mafia song that didn't take off or something, so that's cool. Everyone has a good-to incredible verse on this and they manage to tell stories that basically run the gamut of their experience with women. It's touching, funny, and always impressive. Iconic video too. Just a perfect song for driving by yourself or blasting at a function. It's the best rap song of the 2000s.

~~~~~

There's a lot more but I realized I'd never stop so instead I'll get to it.

Kanye West ft. Pusha T - Runaway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEoCOWUtcU

For my money My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the best album of the decade, and this is the best song on it. I posted Never See Me Again recently in another thread and this very much feels like a companion piece to it. Kanye's never been the best rapper (that's not really what you listen to him for, right?) but he comes across as raw and honest here in a way that's both off-putting and endearing. It seems to be honest reflection. It's very easy to get fake deep about this song but I think it's genuinely something that anyone with regrets about their relationships can relate to. Also Pusha T kills on this. If not for Rick Ross spitting the verse of his life on Devil in a New Dress he'd have the best verse on the album.

It's the best song of the 2010s and with the rest of MBDTF and 808s & Heartbreak set a new direction not only for himself but arguably for the genre.

Both absolutely sick picks. I love them both so much. Co-signed 100%

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

t a s t e posted:

rap music rules
good rear end post. rap music does rule

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA2j9qlFyDU

i'm gonna do it. i'm gonna nominate eminem. the dark horse

marshall mathers is a polarizing figure in the rap genre, but it's hard to ignore his relevance at the turn of the millennium. backed by dr. dre's slick beats, eminem shot to prominence with 1999's Slim Shady LP, becoming the first white rapper to ever grace the cover of The Source magazine. the follow-up, The Marshall Mathers LP, debuted at number one on the billboard top 200, spearheaded by the lead single "The Real Slim Shady"

goofy, stupid, self-deprecating, mercilessly assaulting so many celebrities of the time, deliberately intended to be as shocking and offensive as possible. eminem was concerned this song would be considered too cheesy with its over the top lyrics, but it debuted at #4 on the billboard 100, 4x platinum sales. won the grammy for best rap solo performance. topped the chart in like 20 countries, maybe more. but it's not all the sales that makes this one of the best rap songs of all time. it's got one of the most legendary instrumentals of all time crafted by Dr. Dre and Mel-Man. that poo poo goes hard. em's flow is so smooth and his rhyme schemes are nutty. eminem didn't just set the bar for what you could get away with in mainstream radio rap, he absolutely launched the thing into outer loving space

though his peak arguably wouldn't come until 2002's The Eminem Show, this song's enduring legacy is the highlight of a zeitgeist that saw Jackass become a household name. it's the epitome of the biggest cultural influences of a generation. eminem was the father of an entire era of dudes with bleached blonde hair and wifebeaters. was that a good thing? according to this song, definitely not. but it got a hell of a lot of dumb kids listening to rap music who then branched out and got into other areas of the genre which is kinda cool. it's the iconic hit from one of the most iconic rappers of all time, for better or worse.

it probably doesn't have a shot in hell at the vote. but everyone loves an underdog

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dont tjink anyones called eminem ‘dark’ before lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lmao drat i didn't even think about that. excuse me, i meant to say the light horse

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

harperdc posted:

all rise for the national anthem

my one regret from my wedding was not working the instrumental to this in somehow. but yeah, this song is a stone-cold classic (RIP Pimp C)

lmao i have a friend who keeps asking when i'm gonna get married because he wants the wedding to be exactly like the vid

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grevlek posted:

lmao i have a friend who keeps asking when i'm gonna get married because he wants the wedding to be exactly like the vid

he wants to come to the wedding dressed like Pimp C, and wants you to pull off that Rowdy Roddy Piper

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

feeling like I should nominate a rtj / killer mike track and absolutely paralysed with indecision about which one

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Party Boat posted:

feeling like I should nominate a rtj / killer mike track and absolutely paralysed with indecision about which one
The one with the best video is Big Beast. Song's not too shabby either.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^ actually started a post about Big Beast last night but decided I didn’t have enough to say about it. Legend Has It is an RTJ song I would nominate.

But as much as I love Jamie and Mike, this ain’t about them.

Rock Co Kane Flow - De La Soul feat MF Doom.
https://youtu.be/k8-xws9hyMI

De La is my all time favorite, hands down no questions asked. If the choice was their discography or the rest of music I’m gonna be good with the 3 LI brothers from another way of thinking’.

So first, just like that beat when it slaps you upside the head, is the production. On an album full of tracks from Madlib and Dilla, Jake-One comes in with this heat. The beat itself is a statement.

Second, maybe my favorite DOOM verses not on Doomsday or Madvillian. “Eat your team for sure, the streets sure seem rude for fam like the Partridges, pardon me for the mix-up battle for your Atari cartridges or put your kicks up. It's a stick up”

Pos and Dave both speak with their whole chests in their verses, and that’s when they shine brightest.

“We stayed original ever since y'all. First to do a lot of things in the game, but the last to say it. No need to place it on a scale to weigh it. And don't do it for the praise or to raise the bar. Yet it's raised anyway so amazing are…”

Lastly Maseo doing the robot through the entire Carson Daly performance.
https://youtu.be/XWiUeU6VCso

Too old too rhyme? Too bad. Too late.

And in closing, that loving beat.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Big Beast is an incredible album opener, just hard as gently caress right out the gate. Plus that album was the first Mike / El P collaboration so for historical significance it's the start of what would become rtj

Edit: legend has it and close your eyes are the two obvious picks I was considering. Might leave an rtj pick to someone who can write a bit more about them though

Also it goes without saying but this whole thread rules

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 14, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, at that point I knew who Mike was, but didn’t KNOW who he was. Big Beast was just loving whoa.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'd go with "Close your eyes" because of the guest spot too. I can still remember the time and place I was when I listened through RTJ2 first. (actually, RTJ3 too, now that I think of it...)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm probably not qualified to nominate something, but 2Pac Dear Mama spoke to me in a way nothing has since. I had a single that had some remixes and it was just playing constantly while I was in high school. That and Doggystyle was pretty much my study and mood music.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

All of the songs I’d pick as the official Best Rap Song Ever are already in here (Juicy, Players Anthem, Scenario) so I’m just gonna rep my actual favorite rap song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MvkxHDHfjQ

Best posse cut ever, this song just sounds like talking poo poo with your best friends but also like half of your best friends are god-tier musicians. Like obviously Tyler and Earl and Frank are huge names these days but steel sharpens steel and everyone on this track plays off each other’s energy and kills it (even Jasper). That’s 9 verses total ranging from Frank Ocean talking about going from working at Fatburger to being Frank Ocean, Earl talks about his year “abroad” and sounds like a dude with a years worth of poo poo to say, Hodgy drops mythology burns, and the fun is infectious.

Odd Future came around right as I was really getting into hip-hop and this feels like a culmination of that. While some odd future poo poo has aged like unpasteurized milk, Oldie is timeless and makes me laugh when I listen to it every time. Back in the day it was an event to have Earl back and everyone in a track together but after this everyone went their separate ways (Taco out there trying to earn an Emmy with Lil Dickey???) and now it just sounds like being 20 and ready to gently caress the world up

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 15, 2022

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

i'm back because we're missing some essential tracks.

today - diss tracks.

they're usually flash in the pan thing that come and go and get forgotten about. only a few really have staying power, and they're generally the ones that are less loud about their targets (like jay-z takeover).

then pusha-t got in a scrap with drake. he must have known what he had because he baited him into getting serious, then he dropped story of adidon. thre has never been a diss track like it. he put a picture of drake in blackface on the cover, he questioned his race, he made fun of his dying friend, and he told the world about the kid he was hiding. total annihilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XH3LYleDA

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

there is only one track so aggressive it got 50 cent blackballed from the industry
one track so full of callouts it got 50 shot
a track so divisive it got funk master flex murdered just for trying to mentor 50

50 Cent - Ghetto Quran

curtis grew up dealing crack in queens and he didn't forget anything. this song is where he lets it all out and details every killer, dealer, and snitch he's ever dealt with in new york. pretty much everyone mentioned in this song hates him for it. it was a wildly stupid idea to release a diss track against the supreme team in 1999, but 50 didn't care, he never did and never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBqLuWGf3ZE

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

i'm done again until people forget more Important tracks

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I’m sure OP was thinking this already, but just incase… a playlist with the finalized bracket would be dope.

Also, I’m not qualified to pick the seminal song to represent The Roots (or Gang Starr for that matter), but they probably deserve some representation.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Game-Blouses posted:

I’m sure OP was thinking this already, but just incase… a playlist with the finalized bracket would be dope.

hbag i believe is working on something of that nature.

thread is coming along awesome btw, lots of really awesome suggestions. i have some more of my own to add as well but i've been hella busy at work so it'll have to be this weekend

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dynamite Dog posted:

i'm back because we're missing some essential tracks.

today - diss tracks.

they're usually flash in the pan thing that come and go and get forgotten about. only a few really have staying power, and they're generally the ones that are less loud about their targets (like jay-z takeover).

then pusha-t got in a scrap with drake. he must have known what he had because he baited him into getting serious, then he dropped story of adidon. thre has never been a diss track like it. he put a picture of drake in blackface on the cover, he questioned his race, he made fun of his dying friend, and he told the world about the kid he was hiding. total annihilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XH3LYleDA

It’s funny because before this song Drake generally had a pretty good record with diss tracks, with Back to Back being one of his best songs. Push so thoroughly altered Drake’s entire trajectory with one shot (and one perfect album cover)

edit: everyone focuses on “you are hiding a child” because the delivery is perfect and the reveal is jaw dropping but every time I listen to this “let’s have a heart to heart about your pride” gets me. Like there’s poo poo-talking and then there’s calling someone’s soul into question

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 14, 2022

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

i have absolutely no idea what pusha t thought he still had for the rest of his surgical summer (he claimed he had more ammo) but i can't even imagine it. what's left of drake after SoA?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its an absolute loving slaughter. pusha ftw. good pick

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

cannot think of a person i would want to battle less than pusha, he's absolutely terrifying

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

cannot think of a person i would want to battle less than pusha, he's absolutely terrifying

Nardwuar

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol fuuuuuck. nardwuar will loving body you with memories you had repressed from your childhood, honestly.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ok here's a few more, going to keep the write ups pretty brief and just link to youtube

2Pac & Dr. Dre - California Love
One of the slammingest beats ever, could just listen to a loop of the pianos & drums by themselves but then the Zapp vox and everything else makes this beat an all timer. It might not be pac's most impressive rapping ever, but his delivery and flow are spot on. And the vibe it captures, it feels rooted in that east vs. west coast 90s rivalry, but also feels like a timeless tribute to one's home that anyone can relate to even if they've never been to CA.

UGK - Diamonds & Wood
Have to rep something from Ridin Dirty and I had a hard time choosing. i landed on D&W because Pimp C and Bun B both rip on it and it totally captures their swagger, flow and delivery, which is a defining feature of the album, but also because the beat perfectly represents the slow, swirling funk of the southern/houston sound and even has a screwed hook which was still very much not a national phenomenon at the time.

Kendrick Lamar - The Art of Peer Pressure
Good Kid Maad City will probably always be my favorite Kdot record, I just have a soft spot for how it throws back to golden age era while still being totally unique in terms of his flow, vocal styles, personas, storytelling and so on. I picked Peer Pressure because I think it gets all these elements. The whole song captures the vibe of the story so well, the story itself is kind of the perfect one-song encapsulation of the good kid/mad city tension, it shows how creative Kendrick's flow can be, sometimes rapping kind of mundane rhymes but it still sounds so fresh (we made a right, then made a left, then made a right and then another right -- how does this sound so fuckin sick?), it's funny and dark and serious all at the same time, has Kendrick adopting different personas through the song... drat, i didn't think i was going to write this much but i just loving love this song

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS1yYI3Bl_g
Haiku d'Etat - Non Compos Mentis

just an incredible track. all three of them are at their peak here. ive heard mikah 9 called the best technical rapper of all time and his verse on this bears that out. Aceyalone's last verse in this might be my favourite verse of all time

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
throwin in my nomination with

De La Soul - I Am I Be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcd3SISAnmM

De La Souls third album Buhloone Mindstate is my favorite of theirs. Their debut 3 Feet High and Rising preached lighthearted love and peace, while their second album De La Soul is Dead tried to dispel their 'hippy' image with darker tracks more critical of the genre. Buhloone Mindstate continued to display their evolving style by collaborating with (among others) jazz saxophonist Maceo Parker. Parkers soulful jazz, mixed expertly by producer Prince Paul, goes to create some incredible tracks. It was hard to pick a single song (Patti Dooke, Ego Trippin, Breakadawn are all top contenders) but I settled on I Am I Be as to me it's the track that highlights the groups continuing musical journey. The song is about the changing identity of the group and their place in the world. Posdnous and Trugoy rap about their lives, their disillusionment with the music industry, the falling out of the Native Tongues Posse, and the future of the group. The song is introspective and comes off almost as a swan song of sorts despite the groups later albums. Lyrically the rhymes aren't anything incredible but I feel that just goes to further the frankness of the verses

I am Posdnous
I be the new generation of slaves
Here to make papes to buy a record exec rakes
The pile of revenue I create
But I guess I don't get a cut cuz my rent's a month late

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Kuvo posted:

De La Soul - I Am I Be

Great song. This isn't a nom but there's a nice homage to this song by the minneapolis doomtree rapper POS, of course doesn't compare to the original but worth appreciation in its own right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lFVTUqSCaI

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

What up everybody, so glad youre here
it's Coolio wit' the flow back in your ear

To echo whoever subtitled this forum, I'd like to nominate for the best rap song of all time Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise, because while it's fine and dandy to have the connoisseurs itt list their favorite artists who are probably all naturally amazing, eternally sampled, hugely influential, and just bonafide instant classics, I believe that rap is the defining voice of the 90s, as much funk was of the previous decades and remixing/electronic is of the current. Over his music career that peaked in the mid-90s Coolio has been constantly praised for his high-spirited and whimsical at times take on classic OG rap with his message, an unpretentious a-religous gospel touching on the very 90s issues like HIV, education, and institution-centric matters of contention.

Gangsta's Paradise as a single, while may not have the dopest of rhymes or dat af-est of beats and honestly sounds more like a R&B song, is the quintessential Poe's The Raven in the level of vernacular popularity it has achieved. When it came out in '95 everyone had it on replay in the US with it being the #1 single for many weeks across all radio stations. The rest of the world - the non-english speaking countries ate it up too, effectively popularizing hip hop into the mainstream overnight. The following year after the sweep of this single across the globe, Coolio would win a Grammy award for the best rap solo. So I believe that Gangsta's Paradise is the best rap song because not only did it become the fulcrum for Coolio's tongue and cheek critiques of the 90s, but also because it portrays the tragically satirical zeitgeist of SA itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPO76Jlnz6c

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dynamite Dog posted:

i have absolutely no idea what pusha t thought he still had for the rest of his surgical summer (he claimed he had more ammo) but i can't even imagine it. what's left of drake after SoA?

He had enough that J. Prince stepped in to squash the beef. And that is all that needs to be said about that.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

t a s t e posted:

:cheersdoge:

I asked Danny's DJ if they'd do that song before a show. He said yes, they didn't. I guess it's hard for him to perform emotionally?? idk

rereading all the posts closely, it seems you didnt actually nominate 30 , so ill do it after i update. so sick to see danny. i understand that. its almost hard for me to listen to lol, so i get it. no poo poo in my mind before i ever made this thread it was like danny browns 30 and intl players anthem in the final 4 some how lol.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

barnold posted:

lmao drat i didn't even think about that. excuse me, i meant to say the light horse

lmao

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

highme posted:

^^ actually started a post about Big Beast last night but decided I didn’t have enough to say about it. Legend Has It is an RTJ song I would nominate.

But as much as I love Jamie and Mike, this ain’t about them.

Rock Co Kane Flow - De La Soul feat MF Doom.
https://youtu.be/k8-xws9hyMI

De La is my all time favorite, hands down no questions asked. If the choice was their discography or the rest of music I’m gonna be good with the 3 LI brothers from another way of thinking’.

So first, just like that beat when it slaps you upside the head, is the production. On an album full of tracks from Madlib and Dilla, Jake-One comes in with this heat. The beat itself is a statement.

Second, maybe my favorite DOOM verses not on Doomsday or Madvillian. “Eat your team for sure, the streets sure seem rude for fam like the Partridges, pardon me for the mix-up battle for your Atari cartridges or put your kicks up. It's a stick up”

Pos and Dave both speak with their whole chests in their verses, and that’s when they shine brightest.

“We stayed original ever since y'all. First to do a lot of things in the game, but the last to say it. No need to place it on a scale to weigh it. And don't do it for the praise or to raise the bar. Yet it's raised anyway so amazing are…”

Lastly Maseo doing the robot through the entire Carson Daly performance.
https://youtu.be/XWiUeU6VCso

Too old too rhyme? Too bad. Too late.

And in closing, that loving beat.

lol niiiice. i didnt expect to see this one. when i first got my drivers license i made my own doom mixtape and this one was on it and always hit hard lol. lot of mmeories driving home late from work or driving around late at night with the crew and even those who never really got into doom would always like this one because the beat is so loving hard hahah

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

LorneReams posted:

I'm probably not qualified to nominate something, but 2Pac Dear Mama spoke to me in a way nothing has since. I had a single that had some remixes and it was just playing constantly while I was in high school. That and Doggystyle was pretty much my study and mood music.

up to you bro. you want me to add it or nah? i dont thikn anyone is going to object to a tupac song being posted hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

DC Murderverse posted:

All of the songs I’d pick as the official Best Rap Song Ever are already in here (Juicy, Players Anthem, Scenario) so I’m just gonna rep my actual favorite rap song

https://youtu.be/fzi24Nssiow

Best posse cut ever, this song just sounds like talking poo poo with your best friends but also like half of your best friends are god-tier musicians. Like obviously Tyler and Earl and Frank are huge names these days but steel sharpens steel and everyone on this track plays off each other’s energy and kills it (even Jasper). That’s 9 verses total ranging from Frank Ocean talking about going from working at Fatburger to being Frank Ocean, Earl talks about his year “abroad” and sounds like a dude with a years worth of poo poo to say, Hodgy drops mythology burns, and the fun is infectious.

Odd Future came around right as I was really getting into hip-hop and this feels like a culmination of that. While some odd future poo poo has aged like unpasteurized milk, Oldie is timeless and makes me laugh when I listen to it every time. Back in the day it was an event to have Earl back and everyone in a track together but after this everyone went their separate ways (Taco out there trying to earn an Emmy with Lil Dickey???) and now it just sounds like being 20 and ready to gently caress the world up

lol . i think what makes this a potential candidate is just for the earl verse and the context of it. That was a special time. And anyone who grew up following odd future was waiting for this moment for years