Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

2DCAT posted:

Pisssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssassssasssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss sss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssss ssss 3 sssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssassssasssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss sss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssss ssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss

accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Man, AGS couldn't have scripted a funnier combination of screencaps:

The first post is from their official forums 2 days ago, but the player complaints seem to be more recent (or at least the subreddit's stickied post about them is).

Meanwhile, the game's player count has already increased 66% from 2 days ago after the ban wave:

So this doesn't seem to have been the silver bullet AGS was hoping for.

Edit: It seems like the unwarranted bans happened just today, different from the bot ban wave. You can tell by the Steam reviews that are pouring in now from people who haven't thought about the game in nearly a year and were greeted with a ban message as soon as they started up Steam today:

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 14, 2023

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I said come in! posted:

In other words their ban wave failed miserably and caught a bunch of innocent people.
This was kinda deliberate. They're unbanning people who contact them within ~24 hours.

They'll likely unban many accounts early next week due to the outrage it is causing.

They did a new mass ban wave of inactive accounts so that bots couldn't use the millions of inactive accounts they have from various periods that weren't banned.

Near launch, bots were making new steam accounts + new lost ark accounts and getting a gold reward from one of the introductory quests in prideholme. They would grab the gold, xfer it, then make a new account. They were likely looking to ban bot accounts that did this loop, the early rapport gold loop, slime island gems, etc so that the farming companies couldn't keep dipping into a gigantic pool of accounts that got trusted under the old rules to farm new stuff. This is also why it seems to have mostly impacted people who didn't play since feb/march rather than people who played 6 hours in June.

The latest trusted changes make it so that it's somewhat annoying for bots to get trusted status and the accounts are useless until they do. Without purging old trusted accounts, they have a problem where botters won't run out of trusted accounts anytime soon.

of course it's ags+sgr so in the act of doing something smart they did something profoundly stupid and gave a bunch of legitimate users vac bans on their steam profile

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 14, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The story continues:

The first official response to this issue was posted 5 minutes ago:

The game has received nearly 1,000 new negative reviews on Steam in 1 day because of this, which may eventually turn the game's overall review grade from "Mostly Positive" to "Mixed" if it continues:

The game has gained another ~25,000 players since yesterday, showing the same linear growth of bots that the game has always seen after ban waves:

Khorne posted:

This was kinda deliberate. They're unbanning people who contact them within ~24 hours.

They'll likely unban many accounts early next week due to the outrage it is causing.

This whole post is a lot of bending over backwards to make stuff up and defend AGS.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 14, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unban all accounts and let the bots run wild and free like god intended.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Discospawn posted:

This whole post is a lot of bending over backwards to make stuff up and defend AGS.
I wasn't aiming to defend anyone. I explained what happened & why, and I said they'll unwind a lot of the bans by early next week. They've already released a statement saying as much.

It's an extremely bad move/big oversight on their end. AGS & SGR keep making big anti-player mistakes when it comes to the anti-bot crusade.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 14, 2023

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Love to see game that’s inherently susceptible to bots continue to have intractable issues with bots.

God bless the Bot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

lol I dont know who the gently caress asked for this but I will take it

https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1612910962826444801

I haven't played for a while but I'm down for this.

I also guess I should log in and see if I'm banned lmao

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MarcusSA posted:

I haven't played for a while but I'm down for this.

I also guess I should log in and see if I'm banned lmao

You probably would have gotten an email or notification from Steam if you did since that's how people noticed it.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The new Witcher crossover update went live this morning. Here are some highlights.

They implemented a CAPTCHA system for the US-West region with today's update. Here's some examples of the prompts:

It seems like an odd choice to use the word 'inverted' instead of the simpler 'upside-down'. When I think of an 'inverted animal' I always think of the failed teleportation scene from Cronenberg's The Fly.

The patch also introduced a weird rendering bug for the gunslinger class:

GIF of what the bug looks like in motion: https://gfycat.com/possiblefaroffafricanmolesnake

They also released this message on the Official News part of their forums, which I thought was really funny:

"To avoid further issues we just turned everything off."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Takin cues from star citizen with that model there

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Discospawn posted:

GIF of what the bug looks like in motion: https://gfycat.com/possiblefaroffafricanmolesnake

Finally the buff to my class that I have been waiting for.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Update: Apparently there's a new UI for upgrading bracelets, but players are reporting that the game hard crashes if you open the UI and then click on a bracelet:

Edit: Apparently this is a feature from a future version of the game, and shouldn't have been included in the current Western Hemisphere version of the game.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 18, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Discospawn posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Weekly Chaos Dungeon Part 3 shows as completed on all of my characters, but I know I didn't do that weekly. Is this a bug?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I said come in! posted:

Weekly Chaos Dungeon Part 3 shows as completed on all of my characters, but I know I didn't do that weekly. Is this a bug?

Is that the one that got disabled as part of the bot prevention measures?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

kirtar posted:

They disabled a dungeon because the bots were so bad? Holy moly

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rexicon1 posted:

They disabled a dungeon because the bots were so bad? Holy moly

They got rid of one of the weekly una quests related to chaos dungeons presumably because bots were using those to get una gold.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's not even a quest any legit players were using for the most part, so it had no real impact besides on bots.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

So the Rowen Vikings DLC arc of this pirates and vikings game that dropped as a part of the anniversary update a few days ago is surprisingy mature and emotionally investing in its storytelling, compared to the nauseating plot vomit I've come to expect of the MSQ. Maybe some of their bargain bin interns have finally left and they've been forced to hire a writer with passing ability to adapt a bog basic Nordic setting for their gacha. And looks like the bots haven't parsed Rowen's navigation yet, since the spam you see in chat is all 'Hablo Banana' and none of 'hh'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirtar posted:

I wish Lost Ark wasn't ran by dumbs.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

New update released a "Tea Time" emote that let's you make it look like characters are kissing:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
reddit admins from the "anti-evil" division deleted one of two men kissing on the game's subreddit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khorne posted:

reddit admins from the "anti-evil" division deleted one of two men kissing on the game's subreddit

Cowards

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I didn't see the image to know if there was more to it, but that's how the lostark subreddit mods described the picture. The lost ark mods were deleting homophobe replies left & right before the super admins did the whole deleted thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The artist class releases the 15th. This is the final class, and im not sure what is suppose to happen next for Lost Ark. Imagine AGS will wind down support as the game continues to tank, and they have a new MMO coming out soon.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The artist class releases the 15th. This is the final class, and im not sure what is suppose to happen next for Lost Ark. Imagine AGS will wind down support as the game continues to tank, and they have a new MMO coming out soon.

I thought there was a female Berserker class? Some sort of spear or glaive user?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MH Knights posted:

I thought there was a female Berserker class? Some sort of spear or glaive user?
There's aeromancer, slayer, and at some point a scythe user that's not out in KR yet.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea lol it's not even close to the final class. There's Aeromancer next, likely this summer, and then Slayer sometime around of the end of the year. And that's just the classes that KR already has. Soul Eater will come out to KR this winter, and we will likely find out what the class after that is this summer with LOAON.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khorne posted:

There's aeromancer, slayer, and at some point a scythe user that's not out in KR yet.

Fair enough, I was thinking that was suppose to be the final class. The way AGS framed the road map, this would be the final class. Although all of these sound like classes we already have? From the main weapons they are suppose to have, i'm curious how they are unique from what is already in the game.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Artist is the final class that existed in KR when our version first released. So it catches us up to where they were a year ago.

Aeromancer has an umbrella so I am not really sure what class that sounds like, but it's nothing like any class we have right now. Slayer is female Berserker so yes it's similar though with a quite different playstyle due to the engraving and skill changes. Soul Eater we have literally no clue about other than it's an assassin base class that uses a scythe.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Artist is coming out soon? Maybe I should give Lost Ark another look, I remember really enjoying a few of those single player dungeons even if most of the game felt like a slog. Having more fancy mage classes to try out would be pretty neat!

The summoner got released in our version in December, right? How does the current version of that play?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

avoraciopoctules posted:

Artist is coming out soon? Maybe I should give Lost Ark another look, I remember really enjoying a few of those single player dungeons even if most of the game felt like a slog. Having more fancy mage classes to try out would be pretty neat!

The summoner got released in our version in December, right? How does the current version of that play?

Artist is out on next update (i.e. this week).

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

I googled it a bit. Apparently, you summon minions that last 10-20 seconds, and you can recast while they are out to have them do an active skill instead of just basic attacks. I saw 3 different basic summons, and also a mechanic where you build up a resource for big megasummons that just do one big attack.

As someone who really liked the summoner in DFO, it doesn't sound super compelling. That class let you get a whole little army of long-lasting minions, and you could use other skills to buff or mark targets. I'll still give it a try next time I boot Lost Ark up, but I'll probably stick with my sorceress throwing out giant elemental blasts.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

avoraciopoctules posted:

Summoner is in the top 5-6 or so builds in the game. Artist is a support that comes out on wednesday.

On wednesday they're doing a story express event (rewards for doing 1-50, great for new players) & a free power pass if you've hit some point in t3 & another express event that gets you to 1445 pretty fast & a bunch of other stuff that would make it the best time to try the game/start.

They also added paid powerpasses to skip content. It's $10-$12 or so to skip the leveling experience.

Lower level content is abandoned because it takes a week or two of very casual play to get through now. This is part of why new players complain about bots a lot, bots are the only ones making new accounts and grinding out 1-50 & a lot of the pre-south vern story content.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I googled it a bit. Apparently, you summon minions that last 10-20 seconds, and you can recast while they are out to have them do an active skill instead of just basic attacks. I saw 3 different basic summons, and also a mechanic where you build up a resource for big megasummons that just do one big attack.

As someone who really liked the summoner in DFO, it doesn't sound super compelling. That class let you get a whole little army of long-lasting minions, and you could use other skills to buff or mark targets. I'll still give it a try next time I boot Lost Ark up, but I'll probably stick with my sorceress throwing out giant elemental blasts.
If you want to be a diablo 2 necromancer then lost ark doesn't offer that. If you want a summon that you can move/attack with but that is kinda not really involved in gameplay or controlled much then summoner, sharpshooter (loyal companion, buffed massively on wednesday), and to some extent scouter are alright.

Summoner is more like igniter sorceress in that it is mostly about casting spells. Which is disappointing given its name, but in the context of lost ark summoner is not disappointing at all. It's broken in group pvp, phoenix can one shot almost an entire screen of people. It's very strong dps wise in pve and does ridiculous amounts of stagger.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 14, 2023

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I think my account, I'd gotten through maybe half of the first big chunk of story. They'd tried to make me learn crafting, I'd done the big set piece dungeons where you stormed a castle and messed with water locks in an aztec-y temple. I don't think I was sailing between islands yet, but I wasn't too far off from that. Then again, if my old account got banned as a possible bot, I won't mind starting from scratch all that much.

The water lock temple was pretty cool, and if I play it on normal instead of hard I can spend more time admiring the environmental design and less hyperfocused on keeping minions from rushing me down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Artist class is out now!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am outdated on what I am suppose to be doing in end game now. My Gunslinger is 1460, so get to 1490 and then get the mats needed to purchase the relic gear set?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Hone to 1490 which unlocks new honing materials, run Brelshaza gate 1-2 for materials to convert pieces to upper relic tier that use those new materials to hone with. Once you are 1500 you can run gate 3-4, and 1520 for gate 5-6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

played about three hours of this over the last couple of days, enjoying it so far. machinist's turn into a mech cooldown is very fun.