Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're poopsocking you 100% need alts or you're just wasting your time, seeing as most of the progression once you're levelled is from dailies/weeklies.

If you're not poopsocking and are limited in how much time you can spend, the rested bonus basically means that if you have two alts + your main and rotate between them, you get twice as much from the dailies for the same amount of time spent compared to only using your main. Plus you get more weeklies, which are the actual fun part of the game for a lot of people.

It's a really good idea to at least get the one alt boosted with gold. Then you gotta decide how manually levelling a second one compares with using that time on your main hunting down account-wide collectathon stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sharknado slashfic posted:

e: unrelated, it there any terrible drawback to switching mains after 50?

No.

The big pain is if you switch mains after investing a bunch of resources into your old main's gear and engravings, you're gonna have to replace those resources to get your new main up to where your old one was.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The best thing to do with engravings is once you get the 20 green class engraving books, figure out which endgame class engraving you want to use, and spend 20 books on that, and equip it in both your slots. That way you get to start playing with your class engraving right away.

Especially if you want to run madness berserker, being able to stay in berserk mode 100% of the time is a nice boost to how fast you can run through the rest of the levelling.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's really cool that it apparently takes them three hours to reboot the servers with a new build. What are they doing, running around the datacenter with a USB stick manually copying files?

Maybe they should ask literally anybody in the AWS side of the business how to deploy software onto servers effectively.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's really funny that after changing your pet's name away from "Bunny Rabbit", you're not allowed to change it back because the default name has a space in it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chalks posted:

Can someone explain when you should use the gear transfer feature? I've upgraded a bunch of blue items and when new stuff drops it's always worse because of the lack of upgrades. Is it only for going from blue to purple gear etc or is there some part of same rarity gear I should look out for?

Blue gear is identical in terms of primary stats, if you transfer to another set of blue gear it'll end up with exactly the same stats. What is different is the secondary stats - if you find a piece of blue gear that has a better secondary stat for your build, or has the same stat but is higher quality (so gives more of it), maybe you'd transfer to take advantage of that.

But mostly it's there for if you're transitioning into purple or orange gear, you transfer instead of levelling up the new gear separately. Not a huge deal at T1 though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Why are you running around with the boss offscreen so you can't see what they're up to?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The secret is that 90% of the time, being right next to the boss is the safest place. You can see what the boss is up to (which isn't just the red telegraphs on the floor - the boss animations usually have tells for their other attacks, even if it's just stuff like turning to face you). Being closer to the boss also helps everyone else predict what they'll do, instead of having them suddenly jump half the arena because there's someone loving about over there. If you must spend a lot of time hanging out far away from the boss, moving parallel to the boss instead of standing still will usually have you dodge their long-range attacks, which are aimed at the point you were standing when the attack begun.

As far as I'm aware Madness berserker is about as tanky as the squishier classes you've mentioned, and I haven't had any issues in on-level content just by staying at close range and knowing where they do most of their attacks (usually to their front, but a couple of bosses mix it up a bit).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
By "Madness Berserker" I mean "I spent my first 20 green class books on the Madness engraving, and have been running L1 Madness plus whatever else I can scratch together from accessories ever since". I'm still in the T1 grind right now, public matchmaking the whole time. That sorc no-hitting the boss is what you should be doing. Everyone should be able to dodge attacks well enough to not get hit while still landing attacks for a few minutes.

If you dash out of a big attack, your dash will be usually be recharged by the time the boss finishes winding down and is actually threatening you with another big attack. For the times where it's not quick enough, well, that's why you're equipping a mobility skill, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My biggest issue right now is when the boss lines up an attack on me I often just run out of the way before my brain registers that they're glowing blue and I should be lining up a counter instead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

admanb posted:

when you break through tiers it jumps up. For example, you have to hit 600 to finish T1 but as soon as you do you run chaos dungeons for 802. Same thing happens at 1100 to 1302.

current max is 1370, I believe

For context on this: each tier starts just above where +25 gear for the old tier gets you. But you only need to be +15 to actually make the switch, so you basically skip over all the stuff in between.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Flair posted:

I have been told here that staying close to the bosses' side or rear end is great most of the time; I have tried that a few times today, and I greatly disagree that that is not a good general guideline. Vertus apparently has a no-tell instant grab; I was not initially stunned or anything. Vertus just grabbed me and instant kill me at full health as a paladin with ilvl 450.

Vertus is like, the one boss so far where that's not the best plan - he has a tail swipe stun when you're behind him, and a 360 degree melee range attack that's pretty chunky. He was definitely annoying as heck to fight as a melee character. There's still enough to land your hits though as long as you're careful to not commit to anything that locks you in place unless you have a big enough window. As a ranged character you want to stand like, just outside where you'd get hit by that 360 attack, close enough to dodge around when he turns but far enough to not get immediately hit.

The grab is just a stagger check for your teammates. Someone's gonna get grabbed, the other three players need to land enough stagger to stop it being a kill.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The grab is definitely annoying when you're the one player in the squad who actually puts out decent stagger damage, so when anyone else gets grabbed they're fine but if you get grabbed it's a cart.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Flair posted:

"The fact that hugging the boss' rear end is something you should explicitly not do to Vertus does not mean it's bunk advice." Alright, so are you saying that if I use my alts (Bard and Gunlancer) for the necromancer dungeon and Lumerus, that if I hug their sides and/or behind, it would work better than what I did with my main on Vertus? As I have said before, I am only looking at the mechanics and movements of the tier 1 endgame stuff.

Yes? Like, just look at Lumerus's attack list:

- Claw Swipe that hits in front of him.
- Breath attack that hits a cone in front of him.
- Leap attack that goes forwards.
- Dash attack that goes forwards (sometimes counterable).
- Geysers, summons a bunch of hazards.
- Shockwave attack, hits everywhere except directly behind him.
- Combo attack, claw swipes in front plus a shockwave hitting everything in front of him.

Literally everything (except the geysers, which you just need to not stand in) is avoided just by standing behind the boss!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Once you hit the next tier on your main, there's a stronghold research that makes upgrading previous-tier gear on your alts cheaper. So if you're close to a new tier, maybe hold off on really pushing your alts up until after that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gandlethorpe posted:

Just hit level 50 shortly into the Arthetine quest. Does anything cool unlock at this point that isn't story gated? What's this about a regular skill that's only unlockable at level 50 that doesn't show up in my K menu? It was there when I go to the training area with the angel chick.

Also, how is level 50 the max but also not?

Level 50 is the point where level stops mattering and what starts mattering is your gearscore. You technically still get experience that will creep you towards the actual level cap but it doesn't really mean anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also I wrapped up some island quests and +15'd all my T1 gear, so I'll be in T2 as of tomorrow. I know I should knock out the first two Abyss dungeons for this week before I start dumping this backlog of mats into T2 gear, is there anything else I should make sure to take care of?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Big advice for gold: When you get tradeable honing materials (most notably Leapstones from guardian raids), check how much they sell for on the auction house. Depending on how the prices are, it can be profitable to sell them for gold, use the gold to buy blue gems, and use the blue gems in the shop to buy the same quantity of untradeable materials.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Velveteen posted:

So I did a cube ticket in matchmaking. Is there a reason to leave a cube early? Because as soon as we got to like the third room or so two people in the group kept spamming to quit. Me and the other person kept pushing forward. And I guess since at least two people are moving ahead, the rest of the party gets dragged in. We ended up clearing the entire cube and getting the max reward. Was there a reason to quit after the first reward? If you lost you still get your last best reward don't you? Is it just laziness that they wanted the first box and wanted to dip to do something else? I am so confused. We were clearly more than geared enough.

The obvious reason is that it takes less time.

So if you have a T1 cube ticket on a T2 character (making the rewards effectively worthless), and you need to do a cube for your weekly or whatever, maybe you want to dip after the first reward.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, it didn't, and judging by the people standing around me when and after the countdown went off, it didn't for them either.

There's a bug on a bunch of servers were the event shows up on the odd hours instead of the even ones that all the text (and the in-game alarm system) claims.

No I have no idea how they managed to break it like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Velveteen posted:

Whoever made Naruni island is a sadist! You need to catch 101 Naruni's who randomly walk away when you try to pick them up. You're only hope is rng is in your favour and they don't try to move before the bar fills up. It takes like 10+ tries to catch even one if you're lucky. I managed to grab one and immediately song of escaped out of there. Someday I'll get the island token.

The paths aren't really "random", there are certain spots where they'll always stay still long enough for you to grab and other spots where they'll always move on too quickly.

The fastest way to finish it is to find a spot where there's a bunch of places that they'll stay put for long enough, and just wait for them to show up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I made it to T3 but didn't get one of every bit of equipment from my first two chaos dungeons. Maybe tomorrow, i guess.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ghost ships will generally have a whole bunch of people showing up. Generally you'll want to switch to channel 1 or 2 just before the event (and look for a big crowd of other people hanging out waiting for the event) so you end up in a populated instance.

But also if you're in T2 you don't really want to be doing the T1 ghost ship.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you have decent stagger you only really need one person who actually knows the timing. The first person to go in doesn't need to care, and the last two people can just be told to not get hit until the mechanic is over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Huge drops of mats are always going to make gold more valuable, since you need both mats and gold for honing. Lots of people doing more honing than they would have previously sinks a lot more gold. Also if bots are now grinding mats, they're not injecting new gold into the economy, so there's less supply.

My guess is that gold will stay insanely valuable until they release the new T3 gold sources and up the supply.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also I had my alt poking at the last T1 guardian to fish for cards - matchmaking is completely full of people with T2 gearscore and atrocious engravings trying to facetank everything instead of doing the mechanic.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I enjoyed all the island-hopping that coincidentally got you a bunch of T2 mats, engraving recipes, etc.

But then once you get to T3 you've already done them all and there's no new side content to go explore? What the heck?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not unusual to hit pity on the higher-level honing.

And it's not like just having a book for +10% is going to change that significantly. You're still going to have a lot of fails even with the books.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Buy accessories with the purple T3 abyss tokens. The purple Abyss gear costs gold and isn't any better than the purple Chaos Dungeon gear.

But yeah, you just gotta hone more. Up to maybe +12 you can get pretty decent rates with one of the free event books plus the cheap boosting materials, after that you're more just throwing attempts at it until you either hit the low-odds roll or reach pity.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I haven't had any matchmaking groups fail that mechanic to the point of abandoning the raid (US West).

One group we failed a couple of times, then I called out by name the one person I saw on my screen doing it wrong and what they needed to do instead, and we cleared it first time after that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jelly posted:

How does that particular encounter rank on the general difficulty scale for late game bosses?

Also, how did people figure it out the first time? Does it actually tell you anywhere?

e: I mean like in game, I know it's on maxroll, or wherever, but the first 8 people to beat the raid, how did they know what to do?

The mechanics seem more complex than something you could just experiment out, but maybe I'm underestimating human tenacity.

So there's two parts of mechanic discovery:

- Figuring out what the mechanics are
- Figuring out strategies to solve them

The first part is actually pretty easy here - there's literally a message that tells you the boss is drawing in energy and you shouldn't let it do that. Attacking the orbs doesn't do anything, but you can absorb the first orb with seemingly no downside (just a do-nothing debuff) so it's pretty obvious that the mechanic is just body blocking the orbs.

So, each player takes a direction, absorbs the first orb, eats poo poo on the second orb and then the third wave gets through. So maybe you talk about this and notice that the two different colours of orbs actually give you two different debuffs, and since collecting the same colour twice messed you up you try collecting alternate colours. And you do that and then you don't get messed up, so now you know exactly how the mechanic works and what you need to do.

Step two is, now that you know the mechanic, figuring out a strategy to ensure that everyone alternates. Maybe you start with players just swapping back and forth with one of the spots next to them, which works fine. But rotating clockwise also works, and is easier to remember (because you don't have to work out which direction you're swapping).

Overall, it's a pretty easy mechanic to figure out blind.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Purple ones look cheap as dirt to me, except for the ones that people actually want to use.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I have never seen the compass work right. The calendar in the top left, on the other hand, is reliable. Except for when it broke for the Naruni event. And then they broke it even worse when trying to fix it. They seem to have fixed it for real now though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For T1 stuff, you can send it to your next T1 character. They can mulch it for extra mats and shards if they don't have any use for it.

For T2 stuff you can't do that (it costs pheons). So just mulch it on your existing character, accept that the shards are going to waste, and send the unbound mats over. You can take a spot check for anything that'll sell decently on the AH first but honestly it's too much effort, if you didn't think "yeah that'll sell" and put it up when you first got it then it's probably not worth much.

For the dust you can roll stones in the hopes of getting like, a Grudge/Cursed Doll stone that you can sell for a decent chunk of change. Or you can just let the dust keep occupying an inventory slot with the idea of maybe doing that in the future eventually even though you know you'll never actually get around to it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The challenging endgame content is all small-group oriented, though at least for now it can all be done with a pick-up group of total strangers that never talk to each other and each go their own way afterwards.

Just a fair warning. I don't know exactly what you mean by "interacting". If you can handle fighting in the same instance as other people without needing to interact socially then there's probably plenty of game for you still, but if even that is too much then you might find that the content you're comfortable with dwindles pretty rapidly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hefty posted:

just did achates twice in a row for the first time since doing him once on my main and having a bad time. both matchmaking runs were weirdly smooth despite everyone being around the right level. two deaths the first time, none the second, and i got battle item contribution for using 3 or 4 green pots.

Killing him with on-level folks doing him for the first time on that alt is likely going to be easier than killing him with random people way into the next tier that are still trying to kill him for the first time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That Argos fight is fun. Lots of stuff to keep track of, but they're individually pretty easy and overall it's pretty fun.

Took me 136 honing fails to get here, FWIW.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Maybe it's something about the perspective, but there are spots on the Alaric fight where the pathable area on the platform isn't as big as you'd think based on the visuals. And instead of sliding along the edge, your character will get hung up entirely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The 120 gold spent directly on a honing attempt is no big deal, but the extra 36 gold spent on fusion material is suddenly a deal breaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So you're saying I should go back and run all the T2 maps I never got around to doing?