Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I pick a different word every time it's part of the fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

Yeah I was going to say, I'm not playing for cash so the OPTIMAL STRATEGY isn't really that interesting to me

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I was going to say, I'm not playing for cash so the OPTIMAL STRATEGY isn't really that interesting to me

Okay then. I will play the worst starting word tomorrow. :v:

The worst I can come up with is QUILL for the Q, double letter, and unpopular vowels, but maybe posters in this thread can come up with a worse one. I thought of CRYPT but that has a lot of good consonants in it; P and C might not be common but they pair well which gives them more strength in a five letter word.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Aardvark! posted:

tentative agree

the programmer in me sees this as something that can be optimized probabilistically, and is tempted to do so, but the fun in that would be designing the algorithm. actually using it would get boring really fast, you might as well just look up what the answer is, I'm sure somebody spoils it daily

so far actually playing it just going in blind and feeling your way through is fun
the best part is right before you solve it when you're squinting at the mess you've made and it suddenly clicks

I'm playing one in the archives right now and I'm like

wtf starts with a d, and has an f and an r in it, and the only vowel is a? :raise:
especially with the r not in the second position and the f not in the fourth

but I know if I give it a minute it's going to come to me and it's an extremely satisfying feeling when it does

also, I've just learned of the existence of "hard mode" and it's not far from the way I've been playing anyway because it's not really interesting to me to approach it as limiting the possibilities. I want to feel like I'm giving the best possible answer for the information I have, like I could win it on THIS TURN, rather than setting myself up for a win later, which is why I'm a show-stoppingly poor chess player

I just got the archived puzzle above and I was right it was satisfying as hell

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
It looks like I'm trying a different strategy for my first word than a lot of people here-- it seems like most of the recent answers don't have a lot of RSTLN in them, so I've been picking words with 2 vowels, 2 less common consonants, and R (which does seem to come up a lot). I get no matches at all on the first word a lot, but it seems to make it a lot easier to guess it later on-- by word 3 or 4, there are only a handful of possible words that fit the letters that I do know.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I've never tried this before. Kinda fun!

Wordle 209 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
196 in the archive pissed me off lol. I didn't believe it was a word until I googled it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wordle 2 6/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

this was some bullshit lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

196 in the archive pissed me off lol. I didn't believe it was a word until I googled it

which word?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Got todays one in 3

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Wordle 196 5/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟨🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Someone never watched Classic Concentration.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Aardvark! posted:

The Bloop posted:

Wordle 2 6/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

this was some bullshit lmao

found the mods' weakness

e: this joke doesn't make sense, I was confusing wordle 1 with wordle 2

Cubone fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 14, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

There's a British game show called Lingo on TV in the afternoons which is basically wordle against the clock

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Spermal

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Wordle 2 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Le go!!!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Wordle 2 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Le go!!!!

Wordle 2 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Wow guess I'm a Wordle Wizard?

Wordle 209 2/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Wordle 2 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sid Vicious posted:

Wordle 2 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

How is 🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩 possible ???

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Ok Sid I gave this Wormle game a try and it’s actually pretty fun. Thanks!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Aardvark! posted:

How is 🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩 possible ???

i wrote sassy

Cubone
May 26, 2011

wordle 69 sure was something awful

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sid Vicious posted:

i wrote sassy

Lmfao it's so obvious now but my brain kept going

SUSSY? SUSSY? SUSSY? SUSSY????

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

am I supposed to be able to see the solutions somehow? all I see is the colored squares

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

actionjackson posted:

am I supposed to be able to see the solutions somehow? all I see is the colored squares

You have to take mushrooms first, this is the new dangerous drug game thats corrupting our children

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Sid Vicious posted:

Wordle 2 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was bad, but Number 3 was even worse. It's not even a drat word! Looks like he had to get a lot of bullshit out of his system before this thing went viral.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Wordle 210 4/6

🟩⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Wordle 210 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Wordle 209 2/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I decided to try this and I got it on the second guess and now I feel like a super genius

never gonna play again because it's just gonna ruin my perfect record

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

That was bad, but Number 3 was even worse. It's not even a drat word! Looks like he had to get a lot of bullshit out of his system before this thing went viral.

Wordle 3 6/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yeah. That one actually was absurd. The only way I got it was going for total letter elimination; after guess three I was "none of my options make sense, better start killing characters".

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Dammit. Three letters right on the third try, but there are a million combinations with what’s left.

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟨🟩

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Wordle 210 3/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Aardvark! posted:

Wordle 196 3/6

🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Always starting with RENTS finally pays off!

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Wordle 210 2/6

⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

:smug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Where do you find the wordle archives.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

In your Wordle sleevies

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hollismason posted:

Where do you find the wordle archives.

link is in the OP :)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Wordle 132 4/6

🟨⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟨🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Wordle 212 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wordle 200 4/6

🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟩⬛⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ayyy i got one. definitely the first one i ever did. for sure.