Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The two “A-Team” dolls are Leo and Vincent, the main characters from the developers’ previous co-op game, A Way Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh huh, this is the same team as A Way Out? That does make sense, that was also a poorly-written game that nonetheless knew how to make co-op really fun.

Admittedly, it wasn't up to this level of nonsense.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

This is indeed a Josef Fares aka Hazelight Studios game, much like A Way Out.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tenebrais posted:

Oh huh, this is the same team as A Way Out? That does make sense, that was also a poorly-written game that nonetheless knew how to make co-op really fun.

Admittedly, it wasn't up to this level of nonsense.

I never played A Way Out, but it was once recommended to me by someone who was insistent that you had to be drunk for it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That drat book is such a beautiful goblin.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if intentional, but the video doesn't show up in your channel on Youtube.

I really like that they came up with a unique puzzle for each of the gates here. A lesser game might do multiple, progressively harded iterations of the same thing, but they explore the abilities you get and use them to the maximum.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I've never played the game myself, but I've watched a playthrough that got just a bit further than the current video, and all I'll say is that the game makes it really difficult to root for the parents. I could have sworn we got rid of the "oh no my parents are divorcing I MUST STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING!" trope back in the 90s. :sigh:

Also that book can go rot in hell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Miz Kriss posted:

I've never played the game myself, but I've watched a playthrough that got just a bit further than the current video, and all I'll say is that the game makes it really difficult to root for the parents. I could have sworn we got rid of the "oh no my parents are divorcing I MUST STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING!" trope back in the 90s. :sigh:

Also that book can go rot in hell.

It's definitely interesting how it's clear why these two people aren't getting along, and the game's crafted to encourage similar bickering in the actual players. There are a lot of opportunities for miscommunication or someone to try and take over. One person setting things up and then frustrated as the other one can't do their part.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

How bad can it get? Outside taking a page from A Way Out's ending anyway... where the two protagonists had a shootout complete with two different endings based on who lost/died

If it's bad enough to make the above idea an improvement I'll be kind of impressed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if intentional, but the video doesn't show up in your channel on Youtube.

I really like that they came up with a unique puzzle for each of the gates here. A lesser game might do multiple, progressively harded iterations of the same thing, but they explore the abilities you get and use them to the maximum.

It was absolutely not intentional so thanks for the save.

Yeah we're going to get to a section soon where, uhh, what the christ.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Regarding the Dream Catcher discussion - the meaning of them and the function of them are going to be different among different tribes, and there's a whole lot more nuance than what I'll describe, but the basic idea is that they are meant to catch nightmares/bad dreams while you sleep; many of them will have a crystal hanging in the middle of the net, which is meant to contain those negative spirits, and they are all destroyed when the light of the sun hits that crystal.

So, at least where I'm from, you get a dream catcher, hang it in a place where you sleep, and make sure it can catch the sun in the morning. So you don't store the bad dreams, you banish them.

This looks like such a fun game to *play*, but my god I hate that book. I'm going through a divorce right now, and I just want to get violent with book-villain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
I really like the book. It's my favourite character in the game. It's just doing what it knows, handing out relationship advice, regardless of whether it's wanted or not.
May and Cody both seem really whiny and unlikeable at times, so watching them moan whenever the book shows up just adds schadenfreude for me.

Unrelated but I like how the game makes it so you can't progress very far without the other player's character. This avoids the pitfall of faster players running off and solving all of the game's puzzles by themselves.

So far, Nat & Tea sometimes seem to be wandering off on their own without a care for the other person.
I wonder if we'll see a growing level of collaboration between them as the LP progresses or if frustration at needing to wait for the other player will get the upper hand?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I dispute the point that they're not learning. They're learning, it's just all the wrong lessons.

This game's really good at destroying any goodwill I had for its characters.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tea, the maze tilt game you were thinking of is probably Screwball Scramble. I had it too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, they really do suck as parents. Cody's irresponsible as hell, May's got no compassion, and neither of them seem to really care about what their daughter's going through despite her distress being the whole reason they're in the situation in the first place.

I had some of those metal Thunderbirds too! Had the whole Tracy Island playset, it was great. I especially remember TB1 and TB3 had their rubber noses chewed off by an unidentified five-year-old

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

This is honest to god one of the most hosed up games I've ever played in my life.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

This is honest to god one of the most hosed up games I've ever played in my life.

Yeah... this part will do that to ya.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm reminded of the spider from LIMBO. Except that one tries very hard to kill you first, and by the time it stops that, it's in bad enough shape you can tell yourself that you're putting it out of its misery when you end up pulling off its last leg and rolling it onto spikes so you can jump across a gap safely.

This is torture and dismemberment of a victim pleading for their life for the purposes of making a child cry from square one. The protagonists are gleeful in their sadistic pursuit of this goal. This is more horrific than a horror game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Goddamn Fares, you really know how to not gently caress around when you want to.

At that they pretty much deserve Dr. Hakim.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah, just.... Yeah.

Out of curiosity, I still haven't actually played or watched A Way Out yet, does it get anywhere close to half as hosed up?!

I got spoiled about ending stuff, but not about the journey along the way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This was the point I checked out of the game's story. Not the murder of the elephant itself, I would have been fine with that if it was the turning point where Cody and May stopped being absolute garbage people but they just... don't.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It would be possible to salvage this. Even one line from either of them saying that they realise they're making their daughter miserable but that they have to focus on getting back to their real bodies before they can do anything about it. It's fine for them to want to prioritise that, but it's not fine for them to be completely and consistently unaware that anything else matters. We're 15 episodes in and have covered multiple dungeons and bosses, and there's zero sign of their characters changing in any way.

This is where I would have stopped playing if this were me. I do not have the time or the patience for stories where the main character/s all suck and won't change. A redemption arc needs to have something worth redeeming.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
loving hell.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, just.... Yeah.

Out of curiosity, I still haven't actually played or watched A Way Out yet, does it get anywhere close to half as hosed up?!

I got spoiled about ending stuff, but not about the journey along the way.

No. It's practically wholesome compared to this. The story is very weird to enable connecting incredibly varied setpieces much like this game, but the ending reveal is the darkest it gets as I remember.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

SirSamVimes posted:

This was the point I checked out of the game's story. Not the murder of the elephant itself, I would have been fine with that if it was the turning point where Cody and May stopped being absolute garbage people but they just... don't.

Yeah, I got pretty checked out after this too (elephant regicide included). It's like... there was already this whole rear end adventure, 15 episodes of it to be exact and now there's a frigging letter that's in pieces that they gotta collect and the book is spouting media-equivalent couples counselor nonsense more than usual complete with a couch. It really feels like extra padding at this point.

I really wish they would have had a tea party with Queen Cutie and got to learn more of Rose's perspective (since Rose is her best friend) which leads to reconciliation/realization that they're both hurting Rose and go forward from there. Instead we got two assholes dancing while their child cries over her murdered stuffed animal.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FYI: destroying your child's possessions is a form of child abuse.

This scene seems like an empathy test for gamers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I still enjoyed the game after this point, but strictly for the gameplay and level design and visuals.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
jesus christ how horrifying

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Miz Kriss posted:

Yeah, I got pretty checked out after this too (elephant regicide included). It's like... there was already this whole rear end adventure, 15 episodes of it to be exact and now there's a frigging letter that's in pieces that they gotta collect and the book is spouting media-equivalent couples counselor nonsense more than usual complete with a couch. It really feels like extra padding at this point.

Yeah when he first tore up the letter I was like, classic Hakim, just rip it up to be a dick, ok why not

But then he mentioned four pieces and I just groaned knowing there's four more whole loving sidequests to do now

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That video might just be the most upsetting thing I saw today, and that includes my grandmother's funeral. Jesus Christ.

Dismembering the innocent child doll has been gone over already, but the icing on the cake is that when they find out it didn't work, they still don't care that they hurt their daughter. They just straight up don't love her.
And the book gets all the more grating cause he's just focused on repairing their relationship as a couple, which by this point is nowhere close to their biggest problem.

Honestly the best ending at this point is if they can't come back and Rose gets taken in by a better family once it's established her real parents are in comas.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It floored me seeing people who actually found this entire scene funny, and call it 'dark comedy' - including the writer of this game.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
That writer needs professional help. This is not even remotely how emotionally healthy people act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, one of the most disturbing aspects of this to me is that they seem to expect you'll find it funny. Who is this game for? Narcissists and abuse apologists?

The story is actively detrimental to this game. I think the worst thing about Awful Book ripping up the note is that we now have to spend even more time with all of these insufferable characters.

(Side note, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone else find Rose to look off in a kind of uncanny valley way? I'm not sure if it's that, exactly, but I think her proportions look too adult, she doesn't look nearly as young as the writing implies she is. It could just the a consequence of the shrunken-down perspective, I guess, but I keep noticing this.)