Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've been making instant pot mac and cheese, mainly just shredding a bunch of cheddar and whatever else looks fun like gouda or gruyere into the cooked mac with some evaporated milk and its fuckin good but what cheese should I look into in order to really kick it up a notch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't care for cheese.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't care for cheese.

gently caress you

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Reminded me that I haven't had Port Salut in a while.

And Wensleydale is on that list! Before it's W+G resurgence.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
We had dinner w/ some friends this weekend and they asked me to bring some cheeses. Got a random assortment from a trustworthy shop; one of them was a soft cheese w/ black truffle from Italy that was out of this world fuckin' delicious. Gonna go see if I can snag another later this week.

cheese rules.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't care for cheese.

:kiss:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
what's the best easily available blue cheese? I have a couple cheese shops available to me but I have no clue what to ask for

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Waste of Breath posted:

what's the best easily available blue cheese? I have a couple cheese shops available to me but I have no clue what to ask for

Are you looking for something creamy, sharp or a bit of both?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I used Maytag Blue to make a bangin' blue cheese dressing.

I gave up trying to get a 'better' cheese for mac & cheese after my wife found a recipe that uses mustard powder & a little hot sauce to give it a little bite (you can't really taste the hot sauce; it's just...tangier).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Any cheese can be Mac and cheese cheese with enough sodium citrate!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There used to be this place named Cheese Bar on SE Belmont here in Portland that had a variety of fancy cheeses.

Then COVID-19 happened & the place closed down.

:(

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Slimy Hog posted:

Are you looking for something creamy, sharp or a bit of both?

Bring me the funk. My gut reaction would be more creamy than sharp but I'm honestly open to whatever. My experience is limited to what I've been served at restaurants and I have no clue what any of those were. I've never bought a blue cheese (mostly cause my local grocery only sells mass market blue cheese crumbles) but I want to have something nice on hand for when I want to melt something over a steak or burger or just eat with a bit of honey drizzled on it and I'm willing to make a trip to a cheesemonger for it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Thank you, I want to load this up every time I see the thread.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Waste of Breath posted:

Bring me the funk. My gut reaction would be more creamy than sharp but I'm honestly open to whatever. My experience is limited to what I've been served at restaurants and I have no clue what any of those were. I've never bought a blue cheese (mostly cause my local grocery only sells mass market blue cheese crumbles) but I want to have something nice on hand for when I want to melt something over a steak or burger or just eat with a bit of honey drizzled on it and I'm willing to make a trip to a cheesemonger for it.

I love Fourme d'Ambert, and it's not particularly hard to find compared to more artisanal cheeses. It's pretty creamy and has a good but not overwhelming taste.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 18, 2022

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Teach posted:

Back in the mid-90s, my brother and I were cheesemongers - we were hired to run the Paxton & Whitfield branch in Stratford-upon-Avon, UK, (which, when I see it typed out, feels like the most British thing I'm going to say this week.) We had over 150 different cheeses in stock, including three different bries, three different cheddars, and all manner of interesting French cheeses imported by Hennart.

ngl it feels a bit underwhelming for a British cheese shop to brag about stocking THREE different kinds of cheddar.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well now that I know Gouda is an invention of those depraved Dutch, I'm never eating it again.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love all kinds of weird local cheeses that don't get exported as much as the globally famous staples. To add to the thread, here's the Finnish leipäjuusto or "bread cheese" that you can also make at home:

You basically make fresh cheese curds, press them into a disc and bake it like bread. It's a mild chewy treat that is very good with jams of all sorts, but goes best with cloudberries.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Data Graham posted:

Long before Wallace & Gromit I became fascinated with Wensleydale by its mention by James Herriot, as being a thing people in Yorkshire ate with "cake", a combination that baffled him until he tried it.

I've to this day never had what I imagine was the Wensleydale he was talking about (this would have been back in the 30s, and nobody talked about cheese with fruit or berries in it) or the kind of "cake" he meant, and it's always been a weird mystery lurking about in my brain. What taste experience could he have been describing? It sure sounded good.

I live in Yorkshire and have had local Wensleydale, thinly shaved, as a topping on a half-inch slice of Yorkshire Brack - which is the thing that American fruitcake wishes it was. Sweet, sticky, moist, dense, packed with raisins soaked in tea; the package at that link is about 6" long and weighs more than a pound.

The cheese brings tang and a brightness and visual interest, contrasting very pleasingly with the rich, dense cake.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Porfiriato posted:

ngl it feels a bit underwhelming for a British cheese shop to brag about stocking THREE different kinds of cheddar.

That's fair enough, but we weren't a cheddar shop, we were a cheese shop, and we only had a very small refrigerated shop-floor. We also had three kinds of epoisses, if that helps my reputation?

Edit - just done a quick inventory and I've got eight different kinds of cheese in my fridge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Superterranean posted:

I live in Yorkshire and have had local Wensleydale, thinly shaved, as a topping on a half-inch slice of Yorkshire Brack - which is the thing that American fruitcake wishes it was. Sweet, sticky, moist, dense, packed with raisins soaked in tea; the package at that link is about 6" long and weighs more than a pound.

The cheese brings tang and a brightness and visual interest, contrasting very pleasingly with the rich, dense cake.

Awesome, thanks for the pointer! As to the cheese itself, what are the particulars? Is it the readily available/US version we have today, like with the blueberries and stuff in it, or something else?

Teach posted:

That's fair enough, but we weren't a cheddar shop, we were a cheese shop, and we only had a very small refrigerated shop-floor. We also had three kinds of epoisses, if that helps my reputation?

Edit - just done a quick inventory and I've got eight different kinds of cheese in my fridge.

"Not much call for it round here" you could have gone with

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
:negative:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Data Graham posted:

"Not much call for it round here" you could have gone with

I quote the skit to customers all the time without them knowing it. "The van broke down", or "never at the end of the week, get it first thing Monday morning".

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
The Yorkshire Wensleydale I get at my local deli is a hard, bright white, salty cheese that is dry enough to crumble (rather than bending) when sliced. flavourwise, aside from the aforementioned salt, it's quite a clean taste; not a lot of funk, prominent but not overbearing sourness. it does go quite well with fruit, as the prominence of the cranberry and blueberry packages will attest to. The wikipedia article's primary photo is colour-corrected pretty yellow, I think, but otherwise an acceptable representation.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I quote the skit to customers all the time without them knowing it. "The van broke down", or "never at the end of the week, get it first thing Monday morning".

I always used to suggest to the old dears who came into my shop that I had "something with a blue vein for them in the cellar". Different times.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Teach posted:

I always used to suggest to the old dears who came into my shop that I had "something with a blue vein for them in the cellar". Different times.

:chloe:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'll take the hate that's about to be thrown my way, but I think Domino's has the best blue cheese dressing, hands down. I wish I could find out who they get it from because that would be all I buy.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Zipperelli. posted:

I'll take the hate that's about to be thrown my way, but I think Domino's has the best blue cheese dressing, hands down. I wish I could find out who they get it from because that would be all I buy.

I've got your back. I do try to emulate it when I make homemade buffalo wings- blue cheese, mayo, and sour cream. It gets close, but I know I'm missing something.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

tribbledirigible posted:

I've got your back. I do try to emulate it when I make homemade buffalo wings- blue cheese, mayo, and sour cream. It gets close, but I know I'm missing something.

We need a salad dressing monger to make a thread to explain this.

And Mazzio's ranch.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I suspect the Domino's blue cheese dressing has a bit of MSG added. I'd try putting a little in your homemade versions and see if it makes it closer to their version.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Didn't buy any new cheese today, but I got some refrigerated Korean sausage stew with cheddar from Lotte.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Heh the Syrian cheese I got was from a Lotte in Germantown, MD.

I'm assuming there are multiple Lotte's in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tribbledirigible posted:

My mother-in-law's (the late Teresa Niedbala) blue cheese dressing recipe:

At least 10-OZ good blue cheese, broken up
1-pt sour cream
1-cup Duke's mayo (I only recently learned that this was a thing - we've been using Duke's since we stumbled onto it in South Carolina 24-years ago)
1-tsp. celery seed
shotglass of vinegar (rice, or red wine work best)
2-cloves garlic, pressed
add sugar to taste (doesn't take much)

Mix it together and refrigerate overnight. I'd wait on sweetening it until the next day. The garlic will emerge by morning & strengthen as the day goes on. It just keeps getting better.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Awesome, a cheese thread! I love cheese, but don't know much about it, because I will happily eat anything except sharp Provolone and stuff that smells like ammonia.

So uh, what do people think about paneer and Humboldt Fog? Those are the two kinds I am most enthusiastic about.

Also, if anyone can recommend great cheesemakers in the Mid-Atlantic US, I'm all ears.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Awesome, a cheese thread! I love cheese, but don't know much about it, because I will happily eat anything except sharp Provolone and stuff that smells like ammonia.

So uh, what do people think about paneer and Humboldt Fog? Those are the two kinds I am most enthusiastic about.

Also, if anyone can recommend great cheesemakers in the Mid-Atlantic US, I'm all ears.

I don't like paneer at all, but enjoy other cheese like halloumi. Humboldt Fog is excellent. Sweet Grass Dairy out of Georgia is a great mid-south Atlantic creamery.

Speaking of paneer and halloumi, time for a #cheesefact!

During the cheese making step of Separation, usually rennet is used to start the process of solidifying the curd by extracting the whey. But some cheeses are acid set, where acid is used to curdle the milk instead. This actually dissolves the calcium structures that glue the proteins together, so when the cheese is later heated, they can't fall apart to let the proteins loosen. Instead, water is cooked off, causing the proteins to continuously move closer together, toughening the cheese up. This is why cheese like halloumi and paneer can be grilled and cooked without melting, and why stuff like ricotta or queso fresco will not melt smooth no matter what you do.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 19, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What are some good dry and funky cheeses like really old manchego that we can get in FL?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

What are some good dry and funky cheeses like really old manchego that we can get in FL?

What do you mean by "dry"? And funky meaning what, smelly? Gamey?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Alkydere posted:

IBM CHEESE slicing machine restoration is appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VhNF_0I5c

The explanation on how this really cool machine works starts a little after 42 minutes in.
I need to catch up on a few dozen posts but as an abstract mathematician I tend to generalize quite a bit so it took me a tad to pin this down, but now I know why it (approximately, but close enough for cheese) works and will share an explanation in a week or two. Sad to see this type of equipment fall out of production, but it's no surprise since the current approach is to just cut a chunk, slap it on the scale, and smack whatever label is printed.

Also I think I can give an approach for a counter top or cutting board for wheels, namely centering and portioning, as well as portioning wedges. Again, busy, it'll take a couple weeks. Most people just eyeball it anyway.

When in doubt, use a larger slice!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Mister Speaker posted:

Well now that I know Gouda is an invention of those depraved Dutch, I'm never eating it again.
One of the reasons I will continue to buy Gouda is its shelf life. You can stuff it in a backpack and go on a week long hike and it's just fine. Do that with American (sorry, just comparing, and I haven't tried this in 30yr) and it'll be blue and fuzzy. Cheddar will be white and fuzzy, or that wet greasy moldy. Parmesan and Romano will of course survive, but some days you just want a softer cheese on the trail.

ps Current stock includes Gouda! (the usual red wax big wedge). Mahon/mitica. Red Leicester. Cheddar (Neal's yard) plus one last bit of a similar NYs. Manchego. Oh and there's one serving of plastic left in a cardboard box from NYE but don't tell anyone.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I don't like paneer at all, but enjoy other cheese like halloumi. Humboldt Fog is excellent. Sweet Grass Dairy out of Georgia is a great mid-south Atlantic creamery.

Speaking of paneer and halloumi, time for a #cheesefact!

During the cheese making step of Separation, usually rennet is used to start the process of solidifying the curd by extracting the whey. But some cheeses are acid set, where acid is used to curdle the milk instead. This actually dissolves the calcium structures that glue the proteins together, so when the cheese is later heated, they can't fall apart to let the proteins loosen. Instead, water is cooked off, causing the proteins to continuously move closer together, toughening the cheese up. This is why cheese like halloumi and paneer can be grilled and cooked without melting, and why stuff like ricotta or queso fresco will not melt smooth no matter what you do.

I wondered about that, thanks!! :ms: