Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barometz
Feb 14, 2010
Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon: A-1 – There are probably worse from a triviality standpoint, but, eh… if nothing else, I doubt Harry pronounces 'duty' the American way.

Worst "Two Things Happened" cartoon: AD-17 – I'm actually kind of surprised that this is the only one of these here.

Best AGC interpretation: BAGC-18 – Locks. How do they work?

Least concealed bigotry (general): BG-22 – Seriously, she's not even doing anything for him to be whinging about. Beyond existing, at any rate.

Least concealed bigotry (LGBT+): BLGBT-38 – Wait, this isn't the one I nominated. See, I told you that Prickly City wouldn't have much chance, even if it still raises the bile inside of me. When it comes to 'least concealed' though, Branco just crams everything and the kitchen sink into this one, giving it the edge (for lack of a better word) over the rest of this poo poo.

Best overall: BO-48

Least concealed bigotry (race): BR-61 – A difficult choice, but this one here, god, it so heavy handed it's like a parody.

Worst caricature: C-80 – Ramirez and Rall seem like easy mode here, so I figured I'd opt for something different. I'm not sure which caricature we're meant to be referring to here (I assume Oprah's), but they're all dreadful in some capacity.

Worst concern trolling: CT-102 – Another difficult choice. I kept being tempted by the Lesters but nearly went for that Bok at the end. Instead we're getting Ramirez for basically the reasons mentioned in the nom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barometz
Feb 14, 2010
Oops, I forgot to get in on the second round, so here's a whole bunch of rubbish and my terrible opinions thereof!

Worst gaslighting: G-129 – Ugh, I was originally trying to choose between the Ramirez at 113 or that Branco at 124 (though that Blower's a thing as well), but this one seems pretty universal.

Most hypocritical combo: HC-141 – As much as I'm tempted by Garrison's January 6th ramblings, I feel the Afghan refugee thing is probably more actively hypocritical, which I guess leaves the question of whether Branco's or Varvel's rendition is worse. While Branco seems like the easy option, it does feel a bit more to the point.

Laziest non-Gorrell: L-147 — What a category. While there are probably worse in the grand scheme of things, I feel like Bennett's laziness these days is really worth calling out. I opted for this one, because it seems lazy even beyond the art.

Worst label: LB-173 — Ramirez gets this one for the reason the comment says, although Branco at 184 is also doing well on the 'I don't know how labels work' stakes. Bonus mention for Ariail (188) for that 800 lbs shirt; I mean, how else would we know the gorilla's heavy?

Most incomprehensible: MI-206 — Is that Varvel (200) not an edit? Huh. Well, anyway, Leunig. He's a real one to watch on the incomprehensible gibberish front. Honourable(?) mention for Hagen (208), which manages to include almost nothing related to the subject that it's apparently about. …IMMANUEL.

Worst obituary: OB-210 — I was a bit torn based that Bob Dole one's laziness, but this one is… just kind of gross.

Best edit: P-218 — I particularly like 248 and 250 too, but while they're more relevant to the topic at hand, god knows it's this simple and silly Garfield one that's really doing it for me.

Most easily reinterpreted: R-273 — A strong field, but there really is no way to interpret this one how Garrison intends, at least without the accompanying rant, though he seems to have kind of half-arsed that too, like he was at least aware that it wasn't really working, but put it out anyway. (Well, I suppose people like Branco have done some on-again-off-again passes at rehabilitating Nixon's image in previous years, though it never really takes, not least because they still constantly use him to suggest a shifty president, so I doubt many people would make that connection… not that the cartoon really works as intended with this knowledge anyway). So, yeah, beating Garrison Windmill Cartoon #4026 or whichever number of windmill cartoon the one at R-275 is. I assume he's done many many more in the interim, but I can't be arsed to check. Others of note… Tinsley (256) was an initial contender, though Fishman's (279) is probably a better example of the cartoon saying pretty much the opposite of what it's seemingly meant to, so I guess that takes silver.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy: TG-307 — Initially I was going to say that Steve Benson (298), but, no, it's this thing, it really, really is. Elsewhere… that Rall is astoundingly tasteless.

Most wilfully dense: WD-324 — Another one brimming with choice. I don't remember if this was one of the many categories I nominated this for… but I guess someone did, so I'm votin' for it! God, I hate it. That concern trolling one about trees from Spooner is also a fun one, as is Varvel completely missing (or ignoring) the point of A Charlie Brown Christmas. Something about that Ratman too and his exciting war on straw too, but, no, that whole 'on balance' poo poo. Ugh. Of course, it also gets this, because I don't think I can put it down for worst overall, especially when…

Worst overall: WO-360 — Quite the smorgasbord of shite, but really this thing. It's just so staggeringly unpleasant in every way. I was going to talk a bit about the others, but they're all so nasty, I'd be here all day and also I don't have the mental fortitude.