Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I stare at a wall while on disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
cry and wish i was dead, mostly

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

my job is to make work for other people. strated it like 6months ago highest paying and easiest job ive ever had

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Your mom!

i must compose posted:

I quit drinking more than one beer at a time and I still have no time.

If you drink two beers at once it saves time dummy.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Try giving yourself a thumbs up and sitting on it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mister Speaker posted:

cry and wish i was dead, mostly

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I make detailed and extremely accurate 3D models of stuff using drones, 3D laser scanners and photogrammetry. It's pretty cool and fairly newish tech that's advancing quickly.

I now work for the evil oil and gas industry though, RIP earth.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I work maintenance in the mental health business. I do it all from clinical to commercial to residential. You name it, I can do it. Plumbing, electrical, drywall, framing, renovations, HVAC, etc.

Majority of my time at work is spent unclogging lovely toilets and changing light bulbs, though. I also occasionally touch computers.

When I’m not at work, I cry hysterically into my two cats because the world is a gently caress and there’s no end to the suffering and pain. At least I’ve got my two cats :)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Computer touching for BIG PHARMA

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

probably don't have any friends either with that kind of hostile posting

turn on your monitor henry

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 17, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

what I actually do is hang out and smoke weed and play video games and stuff. I'm re-training to become a truck driver to get back into work after taking a couple years off for mental health. Oh I'm looking after a pigeon coop while my uncle is dying which is kind of fun but also sad as well, he'd been keeping and racing pigeons since the early 70's.

I used to work as a pyrotechnician for a fireworks company which was a pretty dope but not great paying job. You do get to open a cool futuristic computer briefcase and turn a key like in a spy movie to arm the system when doing a fireworks show though, that was cool. But most of my days were just wiring stuff up or designing shows.

I miss the job I had where I would spend my days driving along the scottish coast with another guy in a pickup truck, emptying the bins and litter picking all these lovely small beaches.

thank u for reading my life story

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I make maps op.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
4 mornings a week I stand under a tree on my own making coffee for 5 hours. Saturday I do the same thing except the whole day, with staff, and in the middle of a street. I’m making coffee about 28 hours a week, and there’s about 7.5 hours of setting up and packing down and maybe 4 hours of driving. So, I’m doing work stuff for 40 hours a week like a normal person.

This leaves me all day Sunday and Monday plus 13:00 to 20:30 on the other weekdays to do what the hell I like. Fortunately my wife is a night owl, so we hang out afternoons and Sundays. Possibly some point towards the end of my life I’ll regret not having children: I’m 50 right now, and very few things make me happier than not having had them.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Before I got laid off, I was a theme park engineer. I worked on several new rides and parks in both Orlando and (right before the pandemic) Osaka. I liked to think I specialized in special effects like live flame, cryogenics, etc, because thats what I liked working on most. But in reality I did all sorts of things, like biomechanical testing to ensure ride safety, commissioning and field testing of ride systems, show systems, and animated figures, 3D modeling and FEA analysis, and metric assloads of paperwork.

But now I manage installation of overly complicated handrails at Epcot :saddowns:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

I post.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I touch computer for a media company. Sometimes I go do my work at a coffee shop or something and then wonder what the gently caress everyone else in my neighborhood does for a living that allows them to just post up at a cafe all day or hang out at like 3 PM. But I live in a pretty gentrified area and I'm sure anyone could wonder the same thing about me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I work for a candy company making fudge.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

computer touching but mostly i lurk in the forums

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Stay at home parent. It rules.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I run the marketing department of a software company. I got my start directing commercials and doing dead-on-arrival TV pilots, which led to me working at production companies and marketing agencies. Got poached a few times by different companies, and now I make sure our creative direction doesn’t suck and we’re hitting our monthly metrics for lead generation.

I used to be somewhat cool, and now capitalism has consumed me whole.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I make videogames op

like, the rules n poo poo

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm a corporate librarian in the tech field. It really beats working for the public sector which is what I did for like 5 years and never got full time.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
product buyer
food eater
movie watcher
internet user
fart maker
poop producer

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm a machinist by trade but I also do mechanical/electrical design work.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I forward some emails at morning and then again in the evening. Sometimes I have to do math in excel or schedule testing or poke someone on WeChat.

It's like a half hour per day. Today I woke up at 10:15 AM and am finished now at 10:52. This is a good set up and I've been trying to find a second remote job since August but have not had much luck, although I am hoping to hear back from JNJ this week so wish me luck!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

HD DAD posted:

I run the marketing department of a software company. I got my start directing commercials and doing dead-on-arrival TV pilots, which led to me working at production companies and marketing agencies. Got poached a few times by different companies, and now I make sure our creative direction doesn’t suck and we’re hitting our monthly metrics for lead generation.

I used to be somewhat cool, and now capitalism has consumed me whole.

I know the kid who worked on Captain Obvious and I hate him cuz I think I'm funnier but I never had an internship at SPIN magazine so apparently the commercial world is too good for me even though I've made successful ads.

How did you get into commercials, film school?

kntfkr fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 17, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I convert natural resources into entropy. You should try it some time.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
poo poo posting

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

kntfkr posted:

I know the kid who worked on Captain Obvious and I hate him cuz I think I'm funnier but I never had an interview at SPIN magazine so apparently the commercial world is too good for me even though I've made successful ads.

How did you get into commercials, film school?

Pure stupid luck, as it usually is. I had my BA in history and was gonna teach, but did film and music as a hobby. I did some event filming for extra cash after college, and just happened to meet the owner of a production company that was starting to get off the ground and had somehow snagged some decent accounts. They liked my edits, and within two years I was directing spots for a few well-known companies.

I recognize this is not the traditional route, and all of this was a series of serendipitous events both for myself and this, honestly half baked, production company. But I got some great experience and moved on. By all rights I should still be working retail.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my nominal job is pottery: face jugs, weird sea-inspired things, and (mostly) goatse mugs.

it gives me a lot of flexibility for dadding and daddery. for example today we're out sledding. I also cook at least one meal a day.

I quite frankly need to work more, but this is pretty rad.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I graduated last summer with a MA in biology and I'm currently unemployed. I don't really handle all this idleness very well and I feel that I can't really join up with people for sports or other hobby purposes both because of covid but also because I'm looking for jobs in other parts of the country. I sometimes joke that the most hectic part of my day is when I brush my teeth.

I've got an interview coming up this wednesday in a field where most of my experience comes from a hobby project I've been doing on my own - funny how that works out some times.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I manage the state vehicle service facility that handles all the transport vehicles and support vehicles(dump trucks, office pool vehicles, bulldozers, electric carts, etc.) for a medical facility and a state prison. Mostly I just order parts, schedule work, and responding to bizarre requests from other state agencies about the vehicle fleet.

I used to be a grunt, fixing poo poo all day, but when the manager suddenly retired, I was the only person ‘good with computers’ and even-tempered enough to take over. I liked just being a mechanic, but my shoulders and knees are hosed from a lifetime of manual labor, so it was time to do something else.

For fun I collect old furniture, knickknacks and such from the 50’s & 60’s, but all that poo poo’s gotten so expensive I don’t buy much anymore. I also gently caress with old computers, shoehorn new guts into old machines to create Frankensteinian abortions. I used to go to smaller live music shows in clubs and theaters, but COVID poo poo all over that pastime.

And surf the forums, of course, but I figure that’s a given.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Stay at home dad, formerly a paralegal/washed out academic. I’m actually busier now than I was during my paper pushing wagie days. Babies don’t take days off.

For fun, I lift weights, play the Scottish smallpipes, and try to squeeze in some Audible time while my daughter is acting too grabby for me to read an actual book (which is often). I can’t play video games seriously anymore because it feels like a massive waste of precious productive hobby time.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

HD DAD posted:

Pure stupid luck, as it usually is. I had my BA in history and was gonna teach, but did film and music as a hobby. I did some event filming for extra cash after college, and just happened to meet the owner of a production company that was starting to get off the ground and had somehow snagged some decent accounts. They liked my edits, and within two years I was directing spots for a few well-known companies.

I recognize this is not the traditional route, and all of this was a series of serendipitous events both for myself and this, honestly half baked, production company. But I got some great experience and moved on. By all rights I should still be working retail.

Sounds like a nice guy. I know the dude who owns the production company that did those MCI ads with George Carlin and all he's ever done for me is let me ride on his boat and tell me to go to film school.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I graduated last summer with a MA in biology and I'm currently unemployed. I don't really handle all this idleness very well and I feel that I can't really join up with people for sports or other hobby purposes both because of covid but also because I'm looking for jobs in other parts of the country. I sometimes joke that the most hectic part of my day is when I brush my teeth.

I've got an interview coming up this wednesday in a field where most of my experience comes from a hobby project I've been doing on my own - funny how that works out some times.

Where are you in the country? I think all the biology jobs are out here in Jersey, some down in NC.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

kntfkr posted:

Where are you in the country? I think all the biology jobs are out here in Jersey, some down in NC.

I'm in Europe and I don't think I'll be looking that far. But thanks for the heads-up. :)

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I'm a CAD jockey / subject matter expert. I design electro-mechanical poo poo and create documentation and technical data packages for engineering projects. I wouldn't call myself a true blue engineer but engineering is part of my job. Another big part of my job is reviewing the work of actual, professional hardware engineers and telling them why their designs and CAD assemblies suck. I currently work from home for a robotics company and it owns.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

kntfkr posted:

I have an internet friend doing field science in AK. it's variously cool and intimidating to see his posts, not least because he wears a specialized holster with a cocked .45 for grizzlies.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

i get to do a lot of different marketing stuff at a very large and not evil company and i love it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I work in finance at a large brokerage firm supervising a team of brokers. I’ve had to get many finance licenses over a few years and it was incredibly tough but rewarding. In my free time I raise and play with a flock of Silkie chickens, meditate and sing kirtan, and play video games (currently Forza Horizon 5). I watch an unhealthy amount of YouTube and my spouse and I just slapped down $8k to adopt a child, which is 1/5 the amount we’ll ultimately pay.