Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Let's play The Darkside Detective

https://store.steampowered.com/app/368390/The_Darkside_Detective/

In the moderately fine city of Twin Lakes "spooky crap" happens daily, but only one person shows up to investigate. Detective Francis McQueen walks the line between ghosts and demons, and the constant threat of his division's closure. Often, he walks that line together with Officer Dooley, who is there mainly for the pay and free loot.

The Darkside Detective series currently features 16 cases of ever-increasing complexity, because parts of the fanbase keep demanding harder puzzles and more moon logic. Also, apparently, it has "Music from Ben Prunty, the audiomancer behind gems such as Into the Breach, Subnautica, and FTL." Sounds nice!

CASE 1.1: MALICE IN WONDERLAND

CASE 1.2: TOME ALONE

CASE 1.3: DISORIENT EXPRESS

CASE 1.4: POLICE FARCE

CASE 1.5: LOCH MESS

CASE 1.6: DON OF THE DEAD

CASE 1.7: BUY HARD

CASE 1.8: POLTERGUYS

CASE 1.9: BAITS MOTEL

https://store.steampowered.com/app/795420/The_Darkside_Detective_A_Fumble_in_the_Dark/

CASE 2.1: MISSING, PRESUMED DARKSIDE
Video 1/2

Video 2/2

CASE 2.2: TWILIGHT YEARS

CASE 2.3: DRUID'S DELIGHT

CASE 2.4: FUNFAIR DISMISSAL
Video1/2

Video 2/2

CASE 2.5: ROYAL FUMBLE

CASE 2.6: CLASS OF THE TITANS
1/2

2/2

CASE 2.7: GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS PASSED

CASE 2.8: ONE FLEW INTO THE CUCKOO'S NEST

CASE 2.9: TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I absolutely love this game! I've replayed it a couple of times but have yet to play the sequel.

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

I bought this game a while back, but only played it recently, and was so charmed by the all the references and jokes. Glad to see it getting some love here!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well I for one was shocked by the culprit here.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'm shocked that SelenicMartian is playing a good game. I was getting a bit worried about him, but this and Pirate DOOM seem to be pretty good palate cleansers.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Francis McQueen reads the title of every book in the city library.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The audio desyncs around the 20 minute mark, and falls behind the actions on screen.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There were a few clever references in the book titles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pipe puzzle AND a sliding tile puzzle? Now that's terrifying.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We finally go to the Darkside, after helping Shaq wipe his rear end!

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Should I be concerned that the first case isn't marked solved yet?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Nah, it's because I went back into it to show the wet pixels last time.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Ok, that makes sense. I thought it might be foreshadowing time travel hijinks of some sort.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Raxa sure did use a lot of words to describe a very basic puzzle.

...come to think of it, does that kind of puzzle have a name? I don't think I've ever seen them outside the context of adventure games.

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
It's Light's Out, isn't it?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think I've seen that tentacle before.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I dunno. When I saw it it made me feel like I could... like I could... like... I... could...

TAKE ON THE WORLD!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Detecting at a retirement party is not what it's cracked up to be.

McKing :argh:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That case felt too smooth. If younhad gone past the garage the forst time, it would have been one easy look.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The wizard hat / walking luggage thing is another Discworld reference. One of the protagonists has a sentient walking luggage chest that occasionally eats people.

Gnoman posted:

That case felt too smooth. If younhad gone past the garage the forst time, it would have been one easy look.

Lots of adventure game item nonsense though! The last few chapters had been a fair bit lighter on that sort of thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No puzzle to not get shocked by the thing that shocked the gremlin? Very disappointing.

Feels like more adventure games could skip over the whole "walking around" part. Certainly makes things go faster.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We have a new sidekicks!
Dooley, come back!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
This game is lovely, lighthearted fun. Just what I needed to cheer up a bit. Thanks for showing this, I'll be sure to get a copy of this and the expansion too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If I understand their description correctly, there are 125 packs of blood wolves in the area. Seems like they're pretty good at not talking to government narcs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

McQueen is surprisingly good with kids. Also, the kids were great fun. Go bloodwolves!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The aliens on the signs ... are those from Commander Keene?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Mummy madness, macabre monkey members, mansion mischief, and more.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As breezy as the game is it does take a certain talent to keep such an irreverent tone and not have it get annoying, although McQueen seemed particularly fond of the "..." response in this case. I was actually kind of disappointed that all 3 locations' puzzles weren't linked, seemed like a natural progression for the (original) finale.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I love this game, and thanks for reminding me I haven't finished the 2nd game - I could really use the gentle humor right now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What a week, huh?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was wondering how they would reach 20 screens and then the vents happened. If it wasn't a Die Hard reference I'd consider that cheating.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Nice! Now I'm all caught up. I usually watch these before bed time, not intentionally but that's usually how it turns out.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:sigh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hey, snacks are important!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Boys? Nobody snacks more than my wife. Snacking is a unisex awesomeness lady :colbert:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think Patricia is into McQueen...

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
At this point McQueen should just keep exorcism kits inside of his jacket, since it would come in handy so much.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tombot posted:

At this point McQueen should just keep exorcism kits inside of his jacket, since it would come in handy so much.

It feels like it should be pretty standard kit for his line of work.

That said, very few cases actually start with McQueen expecting to confront a case, so maybe he would if he was expecting trouble.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Now this is a grand epic final "setting up the sequel" case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"I wish I didn't have to go back to work" seemed like a perfect set-up for "You're fired." McQueen and Dooley could set-up their own private agency! But that's not a good cliffhanger I guess.