Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Im reading GBS (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Looks like another epic 2012 bangerino!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Im back on that Washington Irving. Ghost hunting done right

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I like bad space operas, so I’m currently reading Peter F Hamilton’s Salvation sequence. This of course being the same author that brought the world reincarnated space Al Capone.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
FaceBOOK

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus which is wonderful but dense, so it's slow going. Lots of digressions. It's kind of refreshing to read a novel that wants to take its time and tell as many stories as possible. The pacing isn't an issue because the stakes (so far) aren't really high.

On the opposite end of the scale, I'm also reading Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely. It's ok (or 'okey' as he likes to write it) so far. I'm not really a huge fan of Marlowe, who often feels like a parody of masculinity. There's a scene at the beginning of this novel where Marlowe goes to meet a foppish rich man and the text is so sneering about it, which is fine, except all I can think is that Chandler came from oil money. Maybe he's trying to make fun of himself but I don't know.

It's still pretty good. Chandler's talented, but I'll take Hammett's nameless Continental Op any day.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol the continental op is such an rear end in a top hat i love it

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I recently read Patricia Highsmith’s book A Suspension of Mercy, which is Gone Girl except funny and well-written and the wife loses and also dies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i finished listening to the audo book of DUNE... i read it when i was uh.... like... 10 or 11? definitely around there.

its super good until the last few chapters... its so weird a bunch of stuff is set up that just doesn't even go anywhere at all and the whole last act is rushed and boring at the same time... shame

but yeah the first 75% is still rad

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also reading the Sons of War series, which is about the aftermath of a second American Civil War.

Looking forward to when I’ll be able to say I read it BEFORE it was a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus which is wonderful but dense, so it's slow going. Lots of digressions. It's kind of refreshing to read a novel that wants to take its time and tell as many stories as possible. The pacing isn't an issue because the stakes (so far) aren't really high.

On the opposite end of the scale, I'm also reading Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely. It's ok (or 'okey' as he likes to write it) so far. I'm not really a huge fan of Marlowe, who often feels like a parody of masculinity. There's a scene at the beginning of this novel where Marlowe goes to meet a foppish rich man and the text is so sneering about it, which is fine, except all I can think is that Chandler came from oil money. Maybe he's trying to make fun of himself but I don't know.

It's still pretty good. Chandler's talented, but I'll take Hammett's nameless Continental Op any day.

Farewell my lovely has an interesting plot but Chandler's misogyny and homophobia are at an all time high in that one. Oh man, and the racism. Marlowe's interaction with the alcoholic woman at the beginning is also really gross, he is just so dismissive and contemptuous of someone who doesn't have their life together.

The Big Sleep has these too but it is a little easier to ignore.

Agreed on the Continental Op, Red Harvest might be one of the most exciting books I've ever read.

The King Business is also great if you have't read that one.