Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

currently reading Kissing Carrion:Stories by Gemma Files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I love Gemma Files but I haven’t read this one yet, what do you think?

really good the first story is about a woman who turns corpses into marionettes which she uses to gently caress a necrophile on stage but its from the perspective of the current one being used

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jelly posted:

Frankenstein by Dean Koontz.

The premise is that neither Viktor nor his monster ever died. The origin stories we know are loose interpretations through lore, but roughly true. Viktor has been busy, we're in modern times, and there's murder afoot.

has he calmed down with the purple prose that was what put me off Koontz, reading about some woman being kidnapped in an RV and he tells me whats in every fuckin cupboard

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i tried to read alan carrs quit smoking book but my adhd and hyperfixating make it insanely difficult to focus on anything im not really interested in

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

roomtone posted:

is there any actual method in that book, because i read some of it and it just seemed like 'believe it hard and it will be amazing' kind of stuff

thats all i got from what i read lol

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ProperCoochie posted:

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King
100 pages in. Oof. One of his weaker ones. The male lead acted like a drunken rear end in a top hat, ranting over nuclear power for 30 straight pages. It's interesting so far because of the history--it was one of his last junkie/alcoholic books and years later SK realized it was a whole metaphor for his own substance abuse problems. IIRC he admitted he doesn't even remember writing and working on the book at all (same for Cujo, which was good.)

Please Kill Me, the punk history book
Been slogging through this. Lots of people beating their own drum about how cool and great they are.

Recently finished:
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. Fine and short breezy read, but for a National Book Award winner, it left me with a huge "That's it?" reaction. Listened to some podcasts, lectures, and various other YouTube content about it, but I still don't feel like I get it. Guess you had to be there. Okayishly decent.

i read the tommyknockers in prison and i was like man i would honestly rather just stare at the wall but i finished it still

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Grumblepuff posted:

House of Leaves.

If you've ever thought, "Man, this Wikipedia article about sound traveling in a vacuum is great, but you know what would make it even better? An underlying sense of dread and mental instability!", then this book is for you.

I like it!

my wife got me the color edition like 6 years after me mentioning off hand how much i want it, gotta read it still though

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

yeah i really wanna buckle down and read it but these kids lmao

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the Bunt posted:

Embryo by Daniel Klein

typical cliche'd 70s-80s gynecological horror. basically Rosemary's Baby but with European eugenics. annoying characters, annoying King-esque prose, and most of the horror and thrills come from scaremongering about Down's Syndrome.

this sounds insane

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i read one of the halo novels and it was fun, is there any particular wh40k novels people suggest im always looking for junk food books

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Traxis posted:

I just finished The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher. It's a pseudo sequel to the Algernon Blackwood classic The Willows. A women finds a hallway that shouldn't exist in her uncle's taxidermy museum, weird poo poo ensues. Good, creepy and fun

this sounds great, do you recommend reading The Willows first?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Traxis posted:

It will make sense without but reading The Willows first would definitely enhance the experience. The Willows is fairly short and in the public domain now so no reason not to read it first.

okay awesome thank you i have like 3 book subscriptions because i am terrible with money so hopefully they will both be available somewhere

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

the willows was phenomenal thank you so much for the rec

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Your name and talking about horror reminds me. You ever read The Wendigo, written by Blackwood?

hey this is next on my list! just finished the willows and loved it and a friend recommended this

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Full Metal Jackass posted:

It's real good if you're cool with reading older works, which sounds like it won't be a problem.

lmao lovecraft is one of my absolute favorite authors, only words i had trouble with in the willows was german places

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

yo The Hollow Places is so good so far thanks again poster who mentioned it and The Willows, im about a third through and theyre in basically the woods between worlds but eldritch horror version of it and its getting awesome

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Scribd is actually letting me read all the books i want this month, last month i listened to the ritual audio book and it somehow decided i could then only read self published garbage and stuff thats copyright free i forget the term i wanna say open source but thats for software

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Im taking a break from the Nazi book and I picked up Glory To The Empire by Jean d'Ormisson. Its the history of a huge empire and the kings and heroes and stuff they learned in Persia and cool stuff like that. Except the whole thing is totally made up.

also sid youre thinking of public domain

oh my god thank you lmao

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

istewart posted:

Does anybody like the newer ones co-written by Herbert’s son and the guy who wrote a bunch of Star Wars novels? I always assumed those were cash-ins.

istewart posted:

Does anybody like the newer ones co-written by Herbert’s son and the guy who wrote a bunch of Star Wars novels? I always assumed those were cash-ins.

i have literally never heard anything positive about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

yall ever heard of goosebumps? spooky fuckin poo poo