Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor’s Baby by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya. It’s a real downer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Sid Vicious posted:

currently reading Kissing Carrion:Stories by Gemma Files

I love Gemma Files but I haven’t read this one yet, what do you think?

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Sid Vicious posted:

really good the first story is about a woman who turns corpses into marionettes which she uses to gently caress a necrophile on stage but its from the perspective of the current one being used

Ok I’m sold

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

STABASS posted:

I just started The School of the Americas: Military Training and Political Violence in the Americas by Leslie Gills. Only 40 pages in, but pretty interesting so far. if anyone has ready any other good books on insurgencies/counter-insurgencies, please let me know :)

I really liked Daniele Ganser’s book on Operation Gladio. And not about counter-insurgency precisely but very relevant and interesting is Henrik Kruger’s book The Great Heroin Coup: Drugs, Intelligence, & International Fascism

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

kntfkr posted:

I'm reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Vaping by some guy. And a pop lit japanese novel called Cult X that at least has a nice cover.

I used that guy’s first book to quit smoking a couple years ago! It was kind of hokey but it worked like a charm

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

roomtone posted:

is there any actual method in that book, because i read some of it and it just seemed like 'believe it hard and it will be amazing' kind of stuff

It’s basically that but I decided to just not be cynical and give it a try and it worked for me even though I wanted to roll my eyes. It’s certainly nothing groundbreaking or scientific though

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Let us know if they get out of the gulag archipelago at the end…

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I love the willows I’ll give this a try

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I'm reading The Fifth Season. People have magic that makes earthquakes or something. The writing style isn't great but I'm gonna power through it like I do everything I don't like.

I was very disappointed with that one as well as a couple of her short stories I’ve read. I feel like she is kinda overhyped

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Im back on that Washington Irving. Ghost hunting done right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I recently read Patricia Highsmith’s book A Suspension of Mercy, which is Gone Girl except funny and well-written and the wife loses and also dies