Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Begemot posted:

The easiest way is to get the Mad Groove arcana (the one with the tree on it). You get it by getting to minute 31 in the forest, but to get there you really only need Crimson Shroud to survive that long, then you can quit out.

You don't even need one of the evolutions, honestly. Just vanilla Clock Lancet and/or Laurel should be enough to hit 31, bonus points if you pick up the Awake arcana and/or tiragisu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Someone mentioned the save file editor which sparked a memory while I was looking at one; My laptop hasn't synced with Steam for a very long time (Not sure why) so I just copied the save files over from that to my desktop PC where I usually play and the only progress I'd lost was the trippy event + the pitiful grinding I did for a couple hours trying to make coins back

The upgrades really make the difference between barely being able to clear minute 20 and getting level 99 and making it to a reaper with relative ease.

The game is fun again :) No more egg buying for me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tampa Bae posted:

Someone mentioned the save file editor which sparked a memory while I was looking at one; My laptop hasn't synced with Steam for a very long time (Not sure why) so I just copied the save files over from that to my desktop PC where I usually play and the only progress I'd lost was the trippy event + the pitiful grinding I did for a couple hours trying to make coins back

The upgrades really make the difference between barely being able to clear minute 20 and getting level 99 and making it to a reaper with relative ease.

The game is fun again :) No more egg buying for me
Grats! Also it means you get to replay the trippy event so that's pretty much win win.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Re: Rogue: Genesia

Oenis posted:

I like the look of this, beat it on my first try by stacking armor where I was basically invincible. Don't know how much variety of cool poo poo and builds there are, and the end of the stages/the progression still feels a little janky, but not bad for a first draft.

I shall remember to go for armor next time. I was amazed how far I got with the regen tho. I initially thought it was going be the slow, gradual regen that VS had, but upgraded it was really fast outside of combat. I died during the second part of the boss stage because I ran out of safe spaces to dash toward :sweatdrop:

==

Beyond that I like the Spellbook Demonslayers Prologue and it had some decent changes in updates so far. Glad it really is being treated as more than just a demo.

Soulstone Survivors drove me insane with the constant things you need to dodge (and having just a single dodge upgrade it seems), how it frequently didn't offer new attack abilities during the very beginning and how it has all these different resources for upgrades. Also, with a fire-focused build the (seemingly) wimpy and unpredictable firewall ended up being my top damage source. Not sure how I feel about that. Passing on this one.

Just King seems like it has more of an auto battler in its DNA, so I doesn't appeal to my bullet heaven desires. A silly recommendation, Steam.

I like the upgrade system of Star Survivor and how you can gradually shape what upgrades you get by adding and removing cards. I couldn't get a handle on thrusting the ship tho, I was smashing in enemies more often than I was making a quick getaway. But I'll probably revisit this demo at one point.
Edit: Oh, apparently it got a patch to offer more control schemes today! Good thing I checked the store page to make sure I got the name right.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 10, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Begemot posted:

The easiest way is to get the Mad Groove arcana (the one with the tree on it). You get it by getting to minute 31 in the forest, but to get there you really only need Crimson Shroud to survive that long, then you can quit out.

Mad Groove gathers everything that can be picked up to a circle around you. That's every experience gem, everything that drops from candles, and also every powerup on the stage, including the rings and metaglios. It makes it trivial to pick up everything, and then kill all the guardians and get their eggs!

Managed to get that one already just by getting lucky with the lancet. I think my problem is I beeline for all the items, maybe I'll try hanging back a bit before getting the bad ones so I don't get swarmed

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

I like the upgrade system of Star Survivor and how you can gradually shape what upgrades you get by adding and removing cards. I couldn't get a handle on thrusting the ship tho, I was smashing in enemies more often than I was making a quick getaway. But I'll probably revisit this demo at one point.
Edit: Oh, apparently it got a patch to offer more control schemes today! Good thing I checked the store page to make sure I got the name right.

Oh, I haven't heard of that one so I decided to check it out. I agree, the inital controls are very awkward, but with the new mouse align turning mode it works out much better. But it's space, so it'll probably always feel somewhat floaty.

I like: you can use meta progression to get rid of some upgrades/weapons you don't like, to remove them from the pool completely, with a sort of pre-game deckbuilder. You can also add duplicates of the things that you do like, for a cost.

I dislike: The card-based upgrade system is also tied to this meta progression. In a run, you can only get multiples of a weapon, with no way to upgrade them. Presumably this will happen within the upgrade system, but none of the weapons have upgraded versions yet. As you get further into the run, you unlock additional cards for your deck, and I think these will allow you to upgrade your weapons during a run, but I'm not far enough into it yet.
Enemy variety and loadout balance als seem pretty poor so far. The deckbuilder could also use a complete overhaul.
It's also quite buggy, some sounds escape the mute button which is a real pet-peeve of mine. The second ship doesn't turn at all. The upgraded +XP upgrade doesn't seem to work right (goes from +20 to +60%, that should be quite notable, but isn't).

Oenis fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 10, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Monolith. posted:

Boneraiser Minions is neat but the art style is incredibly jarring.

I agree. Particularly when things start getting going and you've got well over a dozen dudes in your army it gets really hard to read just about anything on the screen.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I recommend light mode and enemy outlines, maybe that'll help.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I like Boneraiser minions but while appreciate the additional upgrade layers, it didn't add anything to the longevity compared to the first demo. After only a few hours you're basically maxed out and then what?
"You can finally play the game"?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Managed to get that one already just by getting lucky with the lancet. I think my problem is I beeline for all the items, maybe I'll try hanging back a bit before getting the bad ones so I don't get swarmed

Yeah that did it. I knew enough to get the silver ring and left piece first, but I was going right over to the other two. This time I got the good ones first and ignored the other two until about 18 minutes, at which point I was strong enough to actually survive

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Here's another EA game on the bandwagon: Biters and Bullets. Free demo now, but so early that there's not a release date or even a price yet
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008270/Biters__Bullets/

Way more similar to Lazarus Project with 3D graphics style, but with zombie theming rather than alien monsters. The arenas are the same layout each run, so not infinite repeating tile sets like VS. Also more detailed city blocks rather than just an empty, barren wasteland.

Game has an option to either auto aim or manually swing around, but the auto aim seemed more effective to me

Main weapons appear to be firearms (pistol so far, but shotgun can be unlocked in the demo). Secondary weapons are a bit weirder, more VS like

You get 5 weapon slots to start, but can pick up a power up for a 6th slot, possibly more. Didn't get far in the demo, so I don't know how many passives yet, but it looks like 5.

Very cartoony style, but weapons and power ups behave similarly to VS. UV light is garlic (but it completely sucks), Molotov is Santa water, but is fire instead, circling buzzsaw is bible, etc.

There are extra objectives to unlock other weapons or characters (Find X geegaws to unlock missile launcher, perform dance in graveyard to get companion A, Find pizza in sector 7 and deliver to sector G to unlock character B). I didn't get any of them completed yet, but might continue playing enough to give it a try

You find and earn money as you play, which can be spent on permanent passive upgrades, but one thing that is not explained is that there are separate sets of passives for the main (firearm) weapons and for the characters themselves. So you have a set of upgrades for Grick Rimes and a separate set for the pistol. But you have to go to the weapon menu from the main screen, and then go to the pistol to see those upgrade options as opposed to VS and LP just having a general "Upgrades" sub menu.

Overall, if it turns out to be another game for less than $5 it's probably going to be worth it as it appears to be a better version of Lazarus project. I like where it seems to be headed, but it is very very early yet.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are any of these spinoff games actually complete, or at least as complete as VS?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Ragnar34 posted:

I recommend light mode and enemy outlines, maybe that'll help.

The outlines help but light mode is actually worse lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Monolith. posted:

The outlines help but light mode is actually worse lol

I feel the opposite actually, the outlines are too obnoxious with the 8-bit style. Get one or two of the wanted poster powerups and half your screen is red

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Oenis posted:

I like Boneraiser minions but while appreciate the additional upgrade layers, it didn't add anything to the longevity compared to the first demo. After only a few hours you're basically maxed out and then what?
"You can finally play the game"?

I feel like the class balance is (more) off as well. Demo daemonologist was really fun because you could stack infinite sinful demon minions, but now you're capped to five which kind of kills the archetype fantasy since you need to be picky about what you get to level 3 and upgrade in order to stay on the HP curve by slamming a demon every time it's offered.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Tricky posted:

I feel like the class balance is (more) off as well. Demo daemonologist was really fun because you could stack infinite sinful demon minions, but now you're capped to five which kind of kills the archetype fantasy since you need to be picky about what you get to level 3 and upgrade in order to stay on the HP curve by slamming a demon every time it's offered.

It can be done and I haven't found it particularly hard. There's also a tier above demonic as well, at least I have discovered two different ones, dunno if there's more. There's a melee one that was pretty lackluster, but there's also a ranged attacker with a big laser beam that sweeps, and that one is very worth it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oenis posted:

It can be done and I haven't found it particularly hard. There's also a tier above demonic as well, at least I have discovered two different ones, dunno if there's more. There's a melee one that was pretty lackluster, but there's also a ranged attacker with a big laser beam that sweeps, and that one is very worth it.

I think it's basically more like Daemons 1.5 but yeah that one owns.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The new secret character is officially my favourite.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oenis posted:

On paper, the melee one keeps giving me the best dps of any minion. Is it lackluster because its attacks don't have as much screen coverage?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ragnar34 posted:

On paper, the melee one keeps giving me the best dps of any minion. Is it lackluster because its attacks don't have as much screen coverage?
it has trouble with the final boss cause it has to chase after it (eye laser manages to snipe it just fine somehow)

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
On the subject of names for the genre, I think "Survivors-like" is probably going to stick considering more than half of the rushed to early access games jumping into the ring include it in their titles. I want to play Survivor Survivors.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Is there a running list of Games that are similar to Vampire Survivors/20 Minutes til Dawn at this point? maybe direct knockoffs and then maybe some sort of kind of in the same vein type (like Just King)?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Biters and Bullets DOES open up new narrative horizons with a base of Florida Lore (Cringe)---so who knows what dazzling vistas yet await~

None are quite as complete as VS yet, given first mover advantage unless horizons contract on some that have followed alongside even more quickened pace---but this thread does have quite possibly All Of Them to date littered throughout via me and all the other thread regulars who gaze into the sun seeking esoteric treasures of blinding spectacle & intrigues.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I don't think any of them can match VS. They can imitate Castlevania but not duplicate it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm still chasing that dopamine hit from that first gem, if I'm being honest.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Not a definitive list by any means, but here's a handful of the games that I think are very mechanically similar to VS:

There are several more, as well as games that get mentioned often like Just King, SNKRX, Gunlocked, and Seraph's Last Stand but many of them play differently enough that I don't necessarily group them in with VS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Behold Direct Progression(s) and Slay the Spire (map) influence after a fashion~ A different track on the Aesthetic Presentation wars as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2067920/Rogue__Genesia/

This one's looking pretty solid. Can't wait to see where they go with it for the full release.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

think a good test for the genre is what happens when you hit your first enemy; If hit bat, get gem Y/N
If the bat dies and it drops a gem, it's off to a good start. If the bat takes 2+ hits and/or doesn't drop a gem, that's a harder sell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Protocol7 posted:

I'm still chasing that dopamine hit from that first gem, if I'm being honest.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

This one's looking pretty solid. Can't wait to see where they go with it for the full release.

Outlook: Swell

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2067920/view/3398548424197701583

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yams Fan

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are any of these spinoff games actually complete, or at least as complete as VS?

I'd say Seraph's Last Stand is complete, developer basically said so. Its bonus is that it came out alongside VS and isn't a carbon copy, the real downside is how hard it is.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok spellbook demonslayers fuuuuuucks

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Indeed it does---recent spate of things amounts to:

-Aura cap breaking to satisfy all proper gimmick build seekers
-An actual first player sprite, but keeping the option to play without one~
-Better Endless doings
-Still impressive to me that it took this many VS'ish games for this to be the one with QoL control/nature of control options to such a degree
-Weekly updates to everything that matters from here on into October with the full game proper, including deepening vengeance on the latest bits of Path Of Exile league explicitly

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ExiledTinkerer posted:

-An actual first player sprite, but keeping the option to play without one~
hell yes I'm stoked I get to keep being Book

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It feels like there is an update daily whenever I boot up Steam. Like the prologue is being treated like an experimental beta branch.

I don't mind really.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're all complete. Complete garbage!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I played this again for the first time in a month or so, and oh man the 0.10 patch. Jesus. GOTY material right there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you play birb and take the birb doubler and then level the starting birbs to max (level 40) while taking and leveling one regular birb it will evolve the regular birb without consuming the starting birb, allowing you to then take the other birb later. 7 birb crew 4 lyfe.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2101600/view/3390667124864704281

Cult of Babel joins the Rapidly Escalating Crew proper having graduated to Free Prologue Thing from Demo with some nice gains and an immediate prevailing future that reckons a fine direction for it alongside the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Cult of Babel prologue definitely nails the endgame fantasy of VS (with nostalgic frame-rate dips). A bit too easy to get there, but there will be plenty of ways to make it trickier for the full game.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 16, 2022