Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
"A comically themed background storyline."

Yeah, something like that. My favorite review:

quote:

Imagine if the recent Alex Jones game was 3d and featured characters from Journey to the West aimbotting their way through several waves of the American deep state...

If you want to fight Joe Biden err "Diden" and foil his evil plot to cure his dementia by devouring your master, this is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lol, somehow it didn't even occur to me on my brief look over what "Diden" was supposed to be.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

for a brief, pleasant moment, thought it was just an asset flip survivor where wu kong had a bunch of guns. :yikes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcanuse posted:

for a brief, pleasant moment, thought it was just an asset flip survivor where wu kong had a bunch of guns. :yikes:

Sadly roughly 90% of the asset flips on Steam are the most Nazis poo poo you've ever seen, sometimes thinly disguised.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In a better world, this could've been an earnest team taking a stab at the Super Seminary/Black Troop IP without actually remembering to seek the license, But Alas~

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Nordic Ashes has a serious ground clutter problem. A lot of big enemies and bosses have attacks that are ground targeted as a little fart cloud going toward you or a small purple marker, and even with only two or three weapons going off and enemies around you there is NO visual clarity to see any of it. I haven't gotten into the higher difficulties yet but I'm already getting super frustrated at randomly taking damage from something that was literally impossible to see, so I have to just know it's coming and how to avoid it ahead of time.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Y'all actually read the story? Why would you do that

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tried out the DRG:S update and the Salt Pits are actually really fun! Makes excellent use of the digging mechanic, I can foresee the younglings and their elite versions being difficult but fun to handle on higher difficulties. The big stalactite traps are actually fairly straightforward to use, they always fall down on the opposite side of the stalagmite you break to trigger them in a U shape facing you. Does big damage to the lesser elites, harder to time though. Great for swarms.

he update also solved the issue in the early game new players have with OCs not being unlocked for all the first class weapons, it's a step in the right direction.

The weapon buffs/balances were good, I didn't try out the changed Pay2Win relic but it at least looks maybe less terrible. Maybe.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RBX posted:

closing my eyes and loudly la-la-la-ing as i garlic my way through blue hairs and open a chest that plays heilhitler.mp3

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Nordic Ashes has a serious ground clutter problem. A lot of big enemies and bosses have attacks that are ground targeted as a little fart cloud going toward you or a small purple marker, and even with only two or three weapons going off and enemies around you there is NO visual clarity to see any of it. I haven't gotten into the higher difficulties yet but I'm already getting super frustrated at randomly taking damage from something that was literally impossible to see, so I have to just know it's coming and how to avoid it ahead of time.

That was an issue for me until I reduced my weapon opacity considerably.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this is what you end up with in nordic ashes if you dont turn down opacity.

Awesome! posted:

i had some aoe scaling going on amaranth and wanted to see what it looked like with effects at full opacity

im in there somewhere :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

RBX posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

neongrey posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Snooze Cruise posted:

closing my eyes and loudly la-la-la-ing as i garlic my way through blue hairs and open a chest that plays heilhitler.mp3

I have the game on mute and blast my own music playing these.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ah, wagner im guessing

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd imagine that a DLC with Drizzt would sell well.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

hey why do you like this so much, just curious

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RBX posted:

I have the game on mute and blast my own music playing these.

okay and what about the level in that screenshot where you're storming the white house to kill government people

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Isn't that the fantasy of, like, half of the D&D board.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Here, a "Pull Up Thread~" 3D semi-venture to come instead of The Deeply Unfortunate Waste of Timeless Culture and/or IP:

Hordes of Hunger https://store.steampowered.com/app/2157710/Hordes_of_Hunger/

quote:

Vanquish an onslaught of monsters in this 3D action survivorslike from the creators of Blood West. Take control of Mirah to defend your homeland from a living hunger, wield powerful weapons and abilities, and save others from the advancing hordes.

The Beast and its ravenous hordes emerged from the sea and stripped the land bare. Only Mirah stands in their way.

Hordes of Hunger is a roguelite arena-slasher where you'll fight for survival against ever-intensifying waves of monsters. Create your loadout from a range of weapons and special attacks, then gain new abilities in each run to fine-tune your build. Complete quests and rescue others from the onslaught to gain resources and uncover the mysterious origins of the evil you face.

Take up Arms
Craft your own unique build with a range of weapons and special attacks, from a nimble swordfighter to a heavy hammer-wielder. From the castle keep to the desolate remains of your village, fight smart and use the environment to your advantage with choke points, high ground, and breakable structures.

Overcome the Horde
The monsters are unrelenting, but so are you. Gain destructive and defensive abilities with each level-up to become a finely tuned force to be reckoned with. Strike down swarms with sword aflame, call down lightning as you land, and defy death with divine contracts.

Uncover the Truth
A father racked with guilt. A prisoner who shuns freedom. A cook covered in blood. Mirah may be the only one who can save her home, but she's not alone. Complete missions in each run to save others from the invasion and discover the true nature of the curse that plagues her homeland.

Features
Survive against hundreds of monsters hungry for your flesh
Fight across multiple 3D levels, each with unique quests and enemy types
Obtain and upgrade dozens of skills in each run
Customize your loadout with different weapons, special attacks, and stat increases
Experience a fully voiced story that develops within and between runs

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

(pull up, thread)

The new biome in DRG:S is actually really fun. Tons of rock + fast digging means that you can really funnel the swarm effectively in the early seconds of a round and focus on routing and gold/nitra collection. However, the rollers chewing up the place means that as the round continues you have to do a lot more dodging, intermittent digging, and deal with the swarm coming at you from other angles. The stalagmites have a ton of strategic uses -- softening up harder rocks, killing minibosses, or better funneling for the swarm.

Even with that, you still feel unpleasantly squishy at Hazard 4 and beyond unless you get lucky with rolls/weapons and go hard into Armor and MoveSpeed.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

yarghuck

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

gently caress hollow bough. literally the worst biome.

at least it's consistent between games

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Future Is Carbonated:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2178990/Sodaman/

quote:

Sodaman, a supersoldier who fights against alien hordes with his soda-powered weapons. Join this action rogue-lite, discover game breaking coctails or even make your own soda! Unlock new weapons, sodas, drones, cybernetics and more, but first take a sip!

(Read the following sentence in the voice of a cool narrator)

Sodaman is extremely furious right now because all he cares about are his sodas. They no longer have any fizz and have turned into tasteless water ever since Entity-X pressed that button. \r\n However, there are still carbonated sodas out there somewhere in the universe, and Sodaman is determined to find them.

Features
Power up your weapons and obliterate any enemies that come your way as you traverse the universe, just like they did to your soda.

In the early access, you can choose from 36 different sodas that will dramatically change your gameplay experience.

You can select one of six weapons, each with 7 different mods that will also significantly alter your play style.

With six different body parts and over 50 cybernetic augments available for implementation, you'll have endless options for character customization.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Did anyone try out Artifact Seeker? I've only played a few rounds and it feels a bit like Soulstone Survivor with some more RPG elements with the meta. I don't mind it but it's nothing groundbreaking. The translation seems fairly solid too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't care for it myself. Not terrible but not worth the price imo

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

scarlet tower 1.0 is out. dunno if anyone was actually excited for that but there it is.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's mostly pretty good but they went way the hell over board with their metaprogression.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There's a certain bold hilarity to them both including a patch note from last year as part of their v1.0 pitch, the entire sum of the actual v1.0 being fixes and optimization on polish with any new content coming sometime after the Q2 Switch release, 2 more games in the works for this year while their prior one is still Just Chilling, and putting the 2024 future of the game largely up to a User Poll that amounts to either:

-Small, low-key drip updates
-Massive DLC creep things the likes of which have gotten them so enamored with the weeds
-Yet another new game, a full on sequel to Scarlet Tower that may skew in a Hades or Dead Cells direction.

Well, that's the race to v1.0 won vs Spellbook after so very much time---though also as such the odds are far slimmer for either to assume the mantle for the next gen of the niche.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_cDYpCv3LE

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2066020/view/4121429431236805606?l=english

RBX fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 28, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:sbahj:

That is a hell of a fuggin changelog, it sounds like it might be worth a a revisit!

I wasn't crazy about the game before cuz I felt like every ability was just a palette swap, the metaprog were just +1 boring things but more convoluted, and the gameplay devolved into :frogsiren: AVOID THE FUCKIN DAMAGE CIRCLES EVERYWHERE:frogsiren: before very long.

edit: Going by comments from people with crazy hours, it sounds like the update may have made the game much slower than ever before actually...

Deakul fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 28, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Deakul posted:

edit: Going by comments from people with crazy hours, it sounds like the update may have made the game much slower than ever before actually...

Yeah it's not very good. It still does end up in the same "there's damage circles everywhere, good luck" sort of endgame but with way less opportunity to get power to deal with it, due to the double whammy of diluting the upgrade pool and dramatically reducing level gains. I just finished a game with a build that before would've had me around level 90-100 before and it was level 48. Couple that with them increasing the dash cooldown, nerfing a lot of the good upgrades without sufficiently compensatory buffs elsewhere, and yeah... it's basically "we don't get what makes Vampire Survivors loving awesome" 101. (namely, the ability to get ridiculously power and laugh at the idea of dying)

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Boons & Burdens surges again with v0.15 "The Rings of Power"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2646120/view/4191235860368530704

quote:

Patch 0.15 ended up being too large for just one patch, so more content is on the way in the not too distant future, but I wanted to get this update out before March was over. I'll be waiting to see about balance and bugs in the new difficulty mode before adding the achievements for that, but they are coming. You can also expect that a lot of the new ring and equipment abilities will be getting updated sounds and visuals in subsequent patches.

As things progress, I'm getting a pretty good idea of what my content roadmap will look like all the way to 1.0, and how long that will take. When I first release a game in Early Access, I have a base idea of what i'll do to complete the game regardless of sales, and that's why I start small and try not to over promise. I can then look at sales and reception and let that determine which of my "dream features" or "bonus content" to add into my development roadmap.

There is a lot I'd love to do with Boons & Burdens, but its success will determine just how many of my dream features I can add. It's doing pretty well right now, so the future is pretty bright, but how bright is yet to be seen.

As always, if you're enjoying the game, and want to see it grow into something even greater, please leave a positive review. It's a big help!

For the more immediate future, here's a bit of what you can expect in upcoming patches, in roughly this order:
Potion powerups
A new game mode, and new achievements
A large polish patch: updated visual and sound effects, optimization, balance changes
A new playable class: With alternate equipment, unique boons, achievements, etc.
New boons, burdens
Difficulty 3

Oh, and a "Confirm Surrender" pop-up will be coming in the next patch too.

Key Features of patch 0.15
30 unlockable rings that can be equipped and upgraded
Alternate unlockable equipment for both classes
Hard Difficulty (level 2) with 4 new enemy types

Rings
30 rings divided into 5 categories
5 rings can be equipped total
2 rings can be equipped max from any category
Rings earn experience while equipped and can be upgraded once when their experience bar is full

Alternate Equipment
Each class has 4 new items that can be unlocked and equipped
These function more like sidegrades than upgrades, allowing you to customize your playstyle a bit
Not designed to be major alterations to the class's core playstyle so as not to encroach on future class archetypes.
Unlocked with achievements, not infernicite

Difficulty Level 2: Hard Mode
Unlocked when you achieve victory the first time
More enemies, faster spawns
Bosses have more difficult attack patterns
4 new enemy types only found in Hard difficulty
1 new medium enemy
1 new hard enemy
2 elite enemies: These are like boss rejects. Powerful for basic enemy types, but much weaker than their boss counterparts.
More punishing if you ignore the threat clock and take too long

Balance
The Pyro now gains invulnerability for the full duration of his Fire Giant's Horn Theurgic ability.
The Cryomancer's base Theurgic freezes enemies for 1 more second. Note: The text previously said it froze enemies for 6 seconds, but was only freezing enemies for 4 seconds. It now freezes enemies for 5 seconds.
The spinning enemies around the Qrystle Queen boss had their health reduced by 15
Steadyshot Cursed Boon: This is now a 25% damage increase for staff bolts instead of a flat 5 damage.
Psychic Splitter: Now has a brief recharge period of 1.5 seconds, bolts created by it now do damage based on a % of the bolt that hit it
Shadow Chant: Now also instantly resets any recharge time left when empowering the next trigger
Psyche Up: New effect: Psychic splitter now only changes directions when you recharge your staff. Still grants +2 staff charges.
Sacrifice Lethality: Now reduces damage by 2/3/4 down from 4/6/8

QoL
Adjusted a number of texts in the equipment menu to accurately reflect current stats
Any time you're invulnerable a small timer will appear above your head. Note: This will eventually be updated to be more accurate (only shows whole seconds), and will be coupled with additional effects, but works well enough for now.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Deakul posted:

:sbahj:

That is a hell of a fuggin changelog, it sounds like it might be worth a a revisit!

I wasn't crazy about the game before cuz I felt like every ability was just a palette swap, the metaprog were just +1 boring things but more convoluted, and the gameplay devolved into :frogsiren: AVOID THE FUCKIN DAMAGE CIRCLES EVERYWHERE:frogsiren: before very long.

After a few rounds, the skill changes are definitely good but the slower leveling is a bit of a bummer. I think it still has the balance problem it did before where some builds are incredible at killing and some never go anywhere and killing anything becomes a slog by the halfway point of a stage. And yeah, it absolutely still is 'dodging red circles: the game." I always liked the game so I still find it fun, but I doubt it's going to change anyone's mind if you already didn't like it.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
hmmmm; might be worth letting it marinate for a bit and see how they adapt to initial feedback

i enjoyed it a lot when i did a binge of it and the changes sound promising even if the current execution isn't there yet

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Vampire Survivors but it's GTA1: Maniac.

It really nails the feeling of booting up the classic GTA games and just going on a rampage to see how long you could survive. It has a ton of meta upgrades, it's a full release not an EA drip-feed and it's fun as hell.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Also in "Vehicular: Unhinged", there is now Auto Auto: Maximum Autodrive in the Alien Apocalypse

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2636380/Auto_Auto_Maximum_Autodrive_In_The_Alien_Apocalypse/

quote:

Do you like survivor-style games? How about hard arcade action? Have you ever wondered what would happen if a survivor-style game had a baby with old-school carnage in a fast, action based shooter full of twisted metal and brain dead hordes?

If the answer is yes, well then... get in and buckle up! The answer to "Are we alone?" has been answered, the aliens have finally landed, and it is the Alien Apocalypse. The little green men have cranked up their mind control to 11 and taken over humanity, save one! Everyone is out for the blood of the last would-be heroine!

Who is our hapless heroine? Who could possibly resist the numbing mind control that fell humanity in the Alien Apocalypse? What gallant and noble heroine could rise from the best of the best humanity had to offer? Who, you ask? It is the clinically insane, morally flexible, car-loving protagonist with an insatiable appetite for death, destruction, and nothing to lose but some questionable dignity in defeat... Lexi Lane!

Let's forget honor! Forge Lexi's path through the horde of mindless humans and aliens with flames, fire, tire marks, and a whole bunch of bullets, missiles, and other mishandled and often misappropriated alien weaponry.

You're in for a wild ride of mayhem and machine guns. You got enough firepower to make the bravest hero blush; a cute anime girl who's got a date with final destiny; and a gas-guzzling, 900-horsepower beast of a modified sports car that's armed to the teeth and a tank full of fuel, and a driver seat full of fury!

Short rounds of play for quick pick-up and play styles, or just killing some time (and aliens) during a break.
Start with your basic bullet bursting ballistics and upgrade your weapons and arsenal throughout each round.
Upgrade your ride of sweet slaughter to suit your gameplay... do you want to be a high-octane glass cannon, a Sunday driving shooter, or something else?
Jam out to the jingles... what's a little death and destruction without some rocking tunes to accompany the rocket fire?
Drive through hordes of mind-controlled humans, leaving their salt, tears, and dreams in puddles of blood and guts.
Cute anime protagonist.

At this point...what's not to like?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Soulstone Survivors devs are reverting the update lmao

quote:

Hey everyone,

This is Allan, the lead developer of Soulstone Survivors. Today we are making a hard decision.

We are TEMPORARILY reverting the "New Beginning" update entirely, in response to the negative feedback of the update. If you like the update, please check the instructions of how to access it below.

What happened?
On the 28/03 we released the “New Beginning” update, which brings a bunch of new systems and changes all across the game. Many of the changes were not well received, so while we are working on addressing the feedback, we have reverted the game to the previous version.

What about the new character, runes, etc?
These will all be reintroduced to the game as soon as we fix the issues with the new update. This was a massive update, and while we are working all day long to address the feedback, it will take some time until everything is addressed.

What happens to my skill tree? I had already purchased nodes in the Monkey King skill tree!
These are still kept, and when the update is reintroduced, you will not have lost any progress. The only change will be the runes. If you had any of the new runes equipped, it will be automatically unequipped.

When can we expect those changes?
When they are ready. We will not risk promising a date now, as the most important thing is getting the update to the place where it needs to be. If you want to help us in this process and voice your concerns, we will probably start alpha testing these chances to the update on our Discord very soon. As mentioned we are working around the clock, but it is hard to know exactly how long this process will take.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azran posted:

The Soulstone Survivors devs are reverting the update lmao

I don't have that game so I wasn't following it; was it that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Saoshyant posted:

I don't have that game so I wasn't following it; was it that bad?

There were some good thoughts in there but largely it was baaaaaaad. It also didn't really address - and indeed, it actually kinda exacerbated - the main issue most people have with it, namely that the endgame kinda devolves into "dodge the damage zone" spam.

The biggest thing that bugged me was that they combined a massive decrease in XP gains/leveling speed with a huge inflation of the skill pool (which already has the RNG aspect of upgrade rarities). They also increased the dash cooldown by a quarter, which makes the "dodge a bunch of poo poo" endgame even worse.