Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Hyper has been great, definitely my preferred way to play now. Garlic does seem good for clearing trash at the start, but I feel like I can clear that with a variety of stuff if I play aggro enough and it ends up feeling like sort of a wasted slot to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Curious if anyone has been doing +area builds with stuff like garlic and Santa’s water etc and making it work? I have tended to go for scaling mostly on other dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
With enough movement speed it seems you can keep pace with the axe evo projectiles and just have a stack of projectiles directly in front of you as you run full tilt in one direction. Super finicky to get it going intentionally but incredibly satisfying.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Speaking of the axe popping off, got another run where I could just hold down "d" as my line of axes hovered in front of me, never quite reaching escape velocity:

Super satisfying when it lines up, and makes it way easier to go farm with the axe I think.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, turns out a lot of the best weapons scale well with projectiles! I think the other projectile character is probably my #1

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What determines if you start getting bags of money/food on level up or not?

I thought it was level dependent only, but I just had a run where I went from getting normal levels, to just the bag/food, and then back to getting normal levels again after a chest pickup. I kept a weapon slot open until super super late since I was trying for vandalier, so maybe that had smth to do with it? Is it just that all your weapons are level 8 so it stops dropping? Or is it that all your stuff is max level (it feels like not this - it seems like I’ll still have not fully leveled add on power ups when the bag/food times hit)?

Still confused about how precisely this mechanic works and if there’s something I should be doing to better deal with it basically.

Hwurmp posted:

if you've only got 4 evos at 28 minutes you need to level up faster

get them gems

That’s an okay number I think if your other weapons are strong non evo weapons like runetracer or Santa water.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ah gotcha, thank you! That’s super simple.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Kaddish posted:

I'm just not pushing out enough damage when it gets to around 27-28 minutes I think.

Yeah I think your whole build should basically be centered around being as big as possible at like 29 minutes. It seems like Vandalier might actually be super good, since it effectively extends your useful leveling time by a bunch? Otherwise you sort of end up maxing out your power at like 20 minutes in and then just wait to see if your build is good enough for the end game.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I agree 100% it's so insanely good and was the source of my pushback along with holy wand holding the line before they came online

so many times the axes' pointblank pushback was the only reason I avoided losing a laurel charge in the final minute

is mort just like, mechanically the strongest overall character? I need to try more Antonio, but like, all the gimmicks are fun, Porta was my go to for a long time with just giant lightning zaps

e:

oh my god whoever said gloves/bracers, wow, I was severely undervaluing projectile speed; vespers + max bracers is nutty

I think that he’s the strongest, yeah. So much stuff scales off projectiles, and +3 projectiles is just a ton. And yeah, vespers + evo knife is a really strong combo for basically that reason. Makes it super easy to get a really crazy build going, especially since it also buffs Mort’s base weapon on top of that + buffs runetracer, one of the better weapons in the game.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Vandalier also pushes things back really aggressively (by melting them with rainbows rather than actual knockback) so it's worth the insane amount of levels.

Vandalier kind of feels like free levels at this point? Since I’m going to max out so early otherwise anyways.

WarpedLichen posted:

Am I missing something on Lightning Ring? It seems like it does good dps on paper but it's randomly rear end blasting some random clump of enemies on the edge of the screen and so it doesn't help at all in clearing a path for you to go in the mid game so you just die if you're relying on it.

At least santa water at high levels creates a pattern that you can use.

If you get area bonuses (say if you have evo axe and knife anyways), it gets fairly insane. Cooldown helps it as well. I would mostly get it if it happens to line up well with the upgrades you want anyways.

E: this game inspired me to play some more nova drift, and wow that game is so good too. Such a fan of the trend towards games with short runs that mostly let you just think about your build.

Also people who like this should try SNKRX- it’s not as good, but is a similar idea of “move around the map while the weapons/abilities you’ve chosen autofire”. And for iOS people it’s maybe the closest thing to vampire survival on mobile since we don’t get magic survival.

tildes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 3, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SmockJoc posted:

Beta has a new character and item, both giving a rez (or 2 or 3) when you die. Still haven't managed to kill Death though, at least without cheating.

I got a kill on death early on somehow, I think posthumously? At least I have the achievement for killing him

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I killed death with what appears to have been a bug earlier in the game? I just did a run totally as normal and at the end for the “killed death” achievement posthumously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I don’t know if this was already posted and I missed it, but it makes total sense that the dev used to make slot machines: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/vampire-survivors-interview-creator-wanted-something-to-play-at-the-weekend

He also just seems like the sweetest dude.