Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Full Metal Jackass posted:

The dog food was probably more expensive than the RCA TV.

Well they do always say to actually buy something instead of only what you came there to lift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

the interiors of target and walmart are 14 years old

When I was younger I used to love going to Walmart with my parents to look up while they shopped and watch the pigeons and stuff that would roost way the hell up in the rafters. Only visiting now these many years later have I realized the implications of there being birds directly above grocery products

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

See that would have the opposite effect on me, would find ways to not reuse them.

Also how much did it cost to mark all boxes like that?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's this amazing beautiful Target that opened out in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, that looks like either some sort of church or government building in a weird future. Like you'd take your kid there on "Examination Day" and when they failed the test they'd be processed into some sort of patty. It's a regular Target inside.

There's this covered parking and this big wall of windows. Totally beautiful.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Target got rid of their grill and put in a Starbucks :(

I miss their pretzels and popcorn :smith:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
My first exposure to Target was the film Career Opportunities and in the movie the guy fantasized about changing the name to Jimget.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Target has some decent quality home goods. I bought a nice feather pillow there for about $40.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Back in my retail incarceration there was a coworker that would flip her poo poo over customers stealing from the store and she got fired for stealing from another employee lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I tried walking into Target but I missed.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I tried walking into Target but I missed.

Slammed into the big red balls eh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
as soon as these weed gummies wear off i need to go buy an RF cable...

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

need to drive or..?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i could walk but it's like 1 degree outside with the wind chill :(

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Just a quick heads up. I turned all you shoplifters in to the FBI. Get your things in order.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Pug Rodeo posted:

Just a quick heads up. I turned all you shoplifters in to the FBI. Get your things in order.

ur dead dandy warhol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pug Rodeo posted:

Appreciated. I'll butter up my b hole.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

precision posted:

i could walk but it's like 1 degree outside with the wind chill :(

no its cool thank you for being a responsible user :)

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Pug Rodeo posted:

im driving to the police station to turn myself in, no need to make this any harder than it is

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I work for Frito-Lay and have stocked a few Targets as a vendor, they're usually on small format since they don't do the business that say a Walmart or Kroger would do, the weirdest thing about going into a Target to stock is when you sign in your name and company in the backroom, they literally get on a walkie talkie and announce to all the managers on shift that you're in the store to work, it felt odd and of course managers have extra poo poo for you to do immediately.

Target has the better quality of Mom shopper over Walmart however, they just ignore their screeching children so they can get back to their wine and xanax lifestyle.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

kntfkr posted:

my wife refuses to ever shop at target again because she called about some black friday deal on a car seat and talked to some dumbass kid on the phone who was like yeah we got it, no i can't hold it, yeah it's the one on sale and there was this awful loving storm in west jersey that year and so she makes this treacherous drive and then gets there and she finds the kid and he gets the car seat and it's a different SKU and they actually don't have the one she wants and no this one's not on sale and it's not the one she wants anyway so she goes into the parking lot and tries to gently caress up a cart but they're totally made out of fisher price plastic and you can't even dent them. but we would still piss at the one in jersey city if covid and murders didn't make taking the PATH so unappealing

your wife is a karen

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's this amazing beautiful Target that opened out in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, that looks like either some sort of church or government building in a weird future. Like you'd take your kid there on "Examination Day" and when they failed the test they'd be processed into some sort of patty. It's a regular Target inside.

There's this covered parking and this big wall of windows. Totally beautiful.

I used to live around the corner from that target. I think it's supposed to be the largest on east coast but its just regular inside and i've never seen a more than regular amount of patrons occupy it. Like there's an enormous dairy and perishables section there's no way they sell it all

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

We go to Super Target a lot. Grab a ‘bucks, hit the dollar bins, buy some discounted hamburger meat.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

evilpicard posted:

your wife is a karen

my wife is miao

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Heads up to shop lifters, my local Kroger in Ohio put cameras above the self checkouts that apparently look at each move and throw up a flashing light if it feels like you're bagging two. Didn't even notice until someone pointed it to me while checking out.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
lol, i may or may not have shoplifted in walmart.

Bought a 200 dollar tent, walked out with it.
Walked back in after a few days, returned it for cash.
Grabbed another tent, and just walked out the garden center.

Plus their cart doors were full size at one point and didn't have the sensors, so you could just dip out one of those.

or so i've heard

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
another time i may or may not have been looking for PC games, at walmart. I'd slice the bottom open pocket the disc case, go into the bathroom and remove the tag.
well. i may have accidently sliced my thumb and started bleeding, so I went and bought some bandaids, saying it just happened and I wasn't sure what I cut it on in the store.

lol. teenagers.

Diablo 2, binches

X-files box sets under a hoody in the little shelf on the cart. like. they were just asking for it. walked out the cart door and would sell them for about $60 a pop on ebay.

i now have money, but man, if that urge just isn't there sometimes these days.

i'd never sully a Target like that. (i'm sure i did once or twice) ((allegedly))

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 20, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

scott zoloft posted:

I used to live around the corner from that target. I think it's supposed to be the largest on east coast but its just regular inside and i've never seen a more than regular amount of patrons occupy it. Like there's an enormous dairy and perishables section there's no way they sell it all

You lived in possibly the greatest concentration of capitalism in any small area in the whole United States. You always had a shop that would serve your needs.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
You can tell a store is serious when they put scanners in front of the bathroom. gently caress you, bitches. I will find another way to cheat you. This affront only strengthens my resolve.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

interwhat posted:

Heads up to shop lifters, my local Kroger in Ohio put cameras above the self checkouts that apparently look at each move and throw up a flashing light if it feels like you're bagging two. Didn't even notice until someone pointed it to me while checking out.

ya this is coming and fast - will be in every major retailer along with shelf recognition cameras in the next 5-10 years. they'll know what you pick up when you pick it up and if you leave the store without paying they'll know too.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do these places still have scratch and sniff stickers?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

interwhat posted:

Yeah, I used to sneak a few items in with this method until one time, when I wasn't actually trying that, I got flagged for scanning one thing but having two things in my hand over the bag area. Today all the self checkouts in my area have a ton of cameras above them, so it's getting too risky.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm too cowardly to steal but I've started passively not correcting the cashiers who forget to scan something in out of spite for all the things I buy that manage to go bad 6 hours after getting home.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The Walrus posted:

ya this is coming and fast - will be in every major retailer along with shelf recognition cameras in the next 5-10 years. they'll know what you pick up when you pick it up and if you leave the store without paying they'll know too.

I don’t shoplift but I do pick stuff up with the intention of buying it, but almost always end up changing my mind before I’m done and leave stuff in random places. It’s shameful I know and I don’t want them to know I do it!!!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I shove produce up my rear end, glue my rear end in a top hat shut, then kill myself in front of the magazine rack. Watching them fish vegetables out of my viscera to put back on the shelves is always good for a laugh.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I shove produce up my rear end, glue my rear end in a top hat shut, then kill myself in front of the magazine rack. Watching them fish vegetables out of my viscera to put back on the shelves is always good for a laugh.

lol

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

precision posted:

that oesn't sound very plausible to me. youre suggesting that target knows people are stealing, keeps records of them havng stoled, and waits until the records show they stole enough, and then... calls the cops...?

They track data and all transactions. They only go digging when things get weird in reporting like the guy who racked up felony charges for doing UPC swaps for lego.

Imagine being the VP of loving SAP the tech/payroll company in the bay area and then get busted for stealing legos via UPC swaps to sell on ebay...

https://www.slashgear.com/sap-vp-arrested-over-lego-scam-at-target-23229502/

When I digged up that article apparently people still get caught doing it. The system will flag certain UPC code purchases if they notice a pattern. I imagine with all the lego target arrests over the years it probably looks for patterns in lego buying.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They have a dedicated investigation branch.

https://corporate.target.com/_media/TargetCorp/csr/pdf/Target-Forensic-Services-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Note "organized retail crime." They don't give a poo poo about, like, a guy stealing a pack of batteries but if you keep going back to the same place or coordinate with other people Target will absolutely ship all the evidence off to their weird CSI lab to connect the dots. With modern software that can track people as they move around, entering and leaving different cameras' views, it's not even terribly difficult.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. I've seen weird layouts if shoplifting is an issue in a area in order to mitigate theft. There was a Target in Austin, TX that had all Tide products on an Aside facing the customer service check out on one end, basically always in eyeshot. And a Walmart that locked down all their expensive Lego sits with those stap on alarm buzzers along with a wire cable LOCKING it to the shelf. Never saw that before at a retail store.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 21, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big K of Justice posted:

They track data and all transactions. They only go digging when things get weird in reporting like the guy who racked up felony charges for doing UPC swaps for lego.

Imagine being the VP of loving SAP the tech/payroll company in the bay area and then get busted for stealing legos via UPC swaps to sell on ebay...

https://www.slashgear.com/sap-vp-arrested-over-lego-scam-at-target-23229502/

lmao drat. that seems like an extremely lot of trouble to go through to make that much money. like... literally any other crime would pay better

i'm eating some of target brand pork buns and they actually kind of own

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Is it just me or are there always hotties shopping in yoga pants there? Can't compete with walmart for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

precision posted:

that oesn't sound very plausible to me. youre suggesting that target knows people are stealing, keeps records of them havng stoled, and waits until the records show they stole enough, and then... calls the cops...?

like... they'd have to employ a bunch of people at every stage of that... people to have eyes on all that data

im pretty sure thats an urban legend... or maybe for people who steal TVs? but like... i just really doubt the whole mechanism proposed here... i think they would just call the cops when they see u stealing or not... it seems like way too much work and employees to do anything complex like that

It’s not the norm for them to do it but there are shoplifting rings that steal a significant amount of stuff over a long period of time, but not in amounts where you could nail anyone with worse than a misdemeanor for a single incident. I also personally know of at least one individual who was a habitual shoplifter and took fairly valuable stuff who this happened to. As you said it’s a lot of work that usually would not be worth doing, but there are people whose job it is to do this stuff when the need arises