Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Big K of Justice posted:

I lived in Vancouver and St. John's and the times I went there I was super puzzled at why half the store was empty. They had store shelves and displays, but whole aisles empty. Like worse than Sears. It's like the trucks were no shows. It seemed like they over expanded and didn't get distribution worked out. A lot of Canadians looked at it and went... well there's Costco and Walmart, why do we need Target?

Canada is generally very monolithic with things compared to the US. You have dozens of major department stores/hundreds of different bank chains if not thousands, all sorts of different grocery chains, you got to Canada and you get 2-3 of each and that's it.

I found Target to have generally better stores than Walmart* except for groceries generally unless you got a True "Super Target" location. Toy and electronics sections are better stocked and maintained and offer more options I found and I get better quality "cheap" clothes there. That being said it still pulls the same labor manipulation bullshit like with Target with union-busting/etc.

Years ago a goon linked this article in a retail thread about what happened to target Canada. A quick summary is that in the US Target had custom software for ordering from vendors, telling distribution centers what store would get what items, stores creating orders. Everything they needed to do to run a big box retail store. Instead of Target spending two years making there custom software work in Canada they switched to SAP and it blew up in their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I don't like going to chain stores in general because they all subcontract night stocking to the lowest bidder and that job is so dire it shouldn't exist. Imagine getting browbeaten into picking up all your coworkers this week so that you can race each other stocking cans to see which one of you deserves to get more hours, no control over hours, you get a couple hour warning that tonight's your night, and probably never seeing the sun for half the year. That's why I order online where I can pretend there isn't something worse going on like slave labor foreign factories or no pee breaks or other as yet unknown dignity crushing things

Years back I did overnight stock at a Target for about 7 months. gently caress shift work forever. I had terrible insomnia and depression. The pandemic showed that despite being a bit of a nuisance, it is completely possible to stock the shelves in the middle of the day anyways.

Destroying your sanity to unload Live Laugh Love decorum and meet Target's "you must unload 1 box a minute!" factory-esque production quota. Target seems worse than Walmart from the employee's pov. Anyone I saw working at Walmart could at least work at their own pace without some on-floor manager breathing down their neck.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Walmart provides employment / asylum to tens of thousands of people around the globe. I was told recently they even own the freighters that carry shipping containers of goods they sell, if that's true, then Walmart is a true zaibatsu and we can probably start counting the days until they have their own brand of security / force protection contractors. Pretty cool worldbuilding for a dystopian / cyberpunk novel wait poo poo this isn't a William Gibson novel this is real

There are two Targets near me in MA and one of them is run like a poo poo-tier Walmart. Products all over the floor, unfolded piles of clothing everywhere, etc. The other one is pretty okay.