Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I like to keep certain things. I am a drunken fool and come across as a cynical bitter dick, but some things make me soft hearted. for instance, I have an heirloom aged glass cabinet in which I store away keepsakes and silly things that are not materially important, but have meaning to me Birthday and holiday cards, for instance; it is so rare these days, for me at least, to get hand-written correspondence. Something someone put some drat effort into, to write, stamp, and mail. I have a bundle of these dating back to my childhood. I like to read them when I am feeling down. Sounds silly I know, but small strange things like that can make a difference in a person's life, or just day to day existence. I also have some notebooks from gradeschool with my stupid doodles and notes in them, even ones as far back as first grade when I wrote an "essay" and cartoon about Gorfeld, my favorite cartoon character.

What sentimental or nostalgic things have you kept over the years? Feel free to tell me to gently caress off, imma blaze now

I've not gotten rid of a notebook since 2002 or maybe a bit sooner. I have piles of letters from people.. it's all tucked into a closet so nobody notices that I'm insane and keep stuff that I don't have a logical reason for.
I also have some stuff that kinda makes sense to have. When my kid was 13 she flew here and they put a bracelet on her to scan to make sure she was her and that's in a thing with stuff from my son being born and things from people going back. I'd have more stuff but in 2003 my childhood home was torched and the collection of stuff I'd had at the time was gone. I'm also a data hoarding motherfucker, I got old pics from back as a teen chatting with my friends on msn. they get a kick out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My loving sketchbooks from high school. They are full of terrible “manga” drawings but I can’t bring myself to toss them.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I have the copy of the Hobbit that my dad read to me from as bedtime stories when I was like 5

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Wow do you have authorization to post that? It literally says "Classified" on the left side!!! :mods:

1994-me will get over her betrayal.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I have my grandfather’s dog tags from WWII and Korea, his I Am A Catholic Please Call A Priest necklace that he wore with them so he could get last rites if necessary, and his coin collection. I barely knew him and he died a day before my first birthday in 1981 but I apparently was his favorite baby and would mooch his scrambled eggs.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I am going to share a story i wrote for fourth grade english class which was compiled with all of my classmates' stories for the assignment

RUMPELSTILTKIN CONTINUED

[So the miller's daughter and the king are lonely and live weeks away from anyone else. they thought about calling for RUMPELSTILTKIN. The king got the maid and said, "Go get RUMPELSTILTKIN, we're lonely!" In the morning RUMPELSTILTKIN was there in the palace.

Grace, the miller's daughter, was happy. The babies, Sarah and Jason, cried because of all the people around.

"BRING ME SOME TEA! Don't people give their guests tea anymore?" said RUMPELSTILTKIN.

"But RUMPELSTILTKIN, it's late!" exclaimed Grace.

"WELL GOOD NIGHT!" yelled RUMPELSTILTKIN.
Grace sighed. "Maybe tomorrow will bring better moods." The next morning, Grace smelled tea. She went downstairs and found RUMPELSTILTKIN.

"I made tea, okay?"
"Okay, okay," said Grace, feeling a little annoyed.

"Seriously, I'd die without tea," said RUMPELSTILTKIN. Grace went upstairs. She said to Peter the king, "RUMPELSTILTKIN is annoying. He should go home."
"Okay," said the king.

The next morning, RUMPELSTILTKIN was gone. The End]

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Szyznyk posted:

I have my grandfather’s dog tags from WWII and Korea, his I Am A Catholic Please Call A Priest necklace that he wore with them so he could get last rites if necessary, and his coin collection. I barely knew him and he died a day before my first birthday in 1981 but I apparently was his favorite baby and would mooch his scrambled eggs.

that owns

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I used to wear my late father's winter hat, it was made in the 60s, he had worn it forever. It kept me from forgetting him and how good he was to me and my brothers.
I ended up losing it during a move a few years ago and it devastated me. Just writing this is choking me up. Feelings

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Hector Delgado posted:

I used to wear my late father's winter hat, it was made in the 60s, he had worn it forever. It kept me from forgetting him and how good he was to me and my brothers.
I ended up losing it during a move a few years ago and it devastated me. Just writing this is choking me up. Feelings

Right before my dad died he gave me a pair of work boots, which have been beaten up over the years but I'll have them til I die. I also have his cowboy hat he fished with, the splatters of guts and blood have been replaced with bits of everything from roofing. I'm guessing someday my son will be wearing the hat on sunny days. I'm really sorry you lost that, I've gotten scared waking up and not remembering where mine is, just remember the item was only a reminder or the memories you still have.

This thread has def made me feel less weird about holdiing onto things forever.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hector Delgado posted:

My father recently passed and I’ve still got to go through his belongings. I only recently came across his keys that he misplaced before he passed, and he had his dog tag from Vietnam as a keychain on the ring. I’m not letting go of that ever.

Robo Reagan posted:

2019 was years ago dude

drat, so it was. New movies that interest me are few and far between anymore. The pandemic didn’t help, either.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
my father's mother died years ago, and somehow i wound up with her jewelry box. i stuck it away in my cupboard and thought nothing of it, until i decided to give it to two of my nieces for Christmas last year. i cleaned it up and polished the necklaces inside as best i could, and wrapped them all up in gaudy paper. i wasn't going to do anything else with it, so why not? while wrapping the box itself i discovered it had a musical chime that plays when you open it, wound by a wingnut screw at the bottom that i had never seen. i had one of those moments where you get a gift for someone and almost decide to just keep it for yourself...but i'm glad i resisted and the next generation will have the box

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

When my grandpa died, I by default inherited all his pens, including a Parker Vacuumatic from 1944 that still works perfectly. It will forever be my No. 1 pen.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Grandpa's pen is still working huh

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

When my grandpa died, I by default inherited all his pens, including a Parker Vacuumatic from 1944 that still works perfectly. It will forever be my No. 1 pen.

loving poo poo there is one used on ebay for nearly $1,000

there is one on etsy for $175, so....i will look into this more

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, $200 seems to be the going rate for a functioning, bog-standard Vacuumatic, at least from what I have seen in fancy pen shops.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I just noticed the blanket on my other chair, my GMum gave it to me when I was a baby. It's had a rough life over the decades and it stopped doing much for me about 20 years ago other than being there on top of other blankets mostly to just look at the boats, trucks, and such. It's my loving blanky tho and I won't share it with anyone but my son. Everyone else can gently caress off and use one of the other dozen blankets that are all over the place. I'm likely to be using it for extra toe warmth for the rest of my life. Really sad other thing is about 4 years ago I lost my storage shed and my Tonka dumptruck and my brother and I's bucket loader were in there. My truck was beat up and the dumpbed was charred from me burning paperwork on my weed charge while doing kickflips over it with my skateboard soaked in lighter fluid(a very much me getting stoned off the huge bud that was on the floor after the search and arrest(thanks dark green carpets) and deciding to pull out the video camera and see if I could get the cops called so I could talk poo poo to them). But, I'll always miss my dumptruck that stuck around with me for 30 years and got into some crazy poo poo with me(it was a helpful serving truck when drinking and needing to move bottles across the living room or driveway).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a box full of little trinkets, mostly keychains, but they're all just old stuff I've had over the past few decades. It's cool to look through sometimes. Lots of old poo poo I don't care about anymore, but it's nice to remember when I did care about them

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

was this a remote controlled toy truck or what

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Zippy the Bummer posted:

was this a remote controlled toy truck or what

Nope, just a big rear end heavy metal dumptruck. put a few bottles in the back and kick it and it'd oll across the floor and crash into who/whatever was in the way. It survived my childhood so I didn't worry about it much about sending it across the room or driveway.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Being sentimental is normal and good. Anyone that isn't sentimental is too broken and stupid to be called a person.

420 keep sentimental things everyday

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I. M. Gei posted:

Being sentimental is normal and good. Anyone that isn't sentimental is too broken and stupid to be called a person.

420 keep sentimental things everyday

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I wish I could find a used diary somewhere
reading people's little slice of life entries is my poo poo, but only when it's in physical form

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hi sentimental little bitch, I'm gay :)

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Sarah Cenia posted:

I wish I could find a used diary somewhere
reading people's little slice of life entries is my poo poo, but only when it's in physical form

my blog from 20 years ago that devolved into alcoholism and substance abuse combined with depression wouldn't be interesting. Actually to be honest, my old notebooks would prob be interesting. in my life over the last 20 years since I started writing thoughts down only my wife has seen them and it's reaffirmed my idea to not show them to people.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I've still got a little lego guy around somewhere, given to my by my first girlfriend. Things ended real bad but it's a good reminder of what a bad combination it is to be both dumb and horny.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I traveled for work for 4 years and got a shot glass from every place I've been to.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm a loving idiot hoarder that can't throw anything away but like my most sentimental piece is a full sized(?) blue baseball bat from a free bat day game I went to at Tiger's Stadium.

When I was a toddler my mother had a friend from work who was like a grandfather to me, he gave me my first stuffed animal and I named it after him. He was around through my childhood and when I was 9 he found out I'd never been to a baseball game so he took me to one, we had fun, I saw Cecil Fielder hit one out of the park, and it was Bat Day so they were giving away free bats and since it was 1993 it was a usable sized bat and not one of those little footlong ones. He said we should start going to games regularly but while I was at my Dad's for the summer that year he passed away. He was the only "family member" who ever even tried to take me to a sporting event.

Anyway I've managed to hold on to this bat for 30 years and yet I've never give a single poo poo about basesball.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I have an elaborate jpeg featuring some kind of quizical simian that has got to be worth some eurodollars.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

bossy lady posted:

I traveled for work for 4 years and got a shot glass from every place I've been to.

I was in Boston at my friend's local bar where they had the perfect glasses for sampling beers. For some reason I said I would like to buy one of these glasses. "We only have four. No can do," says the bartender, who then as a consolation gives me one of their shot glasses to keep for free. No logo or Paul Revere House etched on it. Just a plain shot glass. And in hindsight it's the best travel tchotchke I could ask for.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm a loving idiot hoarder that can't throw anything away but like my most sentimental piece is a full sized(?) blue baseball bat from a free bat day game I went to at Tiger's Stadium.

When I was a toddler my mother had a friend from work who was like a grandfather to me, he gave me my first stuffed animal and I named it after him. He was around through my childhood and when I was 9 he found out I'd never been to a baseball game so he took me to one, we had fun, I saw Cecil Fielder hit one out of the park, and it was Bat Day so they were giving away free bats and since it was 1993 it was a usable sized bat and not one of those little footlong ones. He said we should start going to games regularly but while I was at my Dad's for the summer that year he passed away. He was the only "family member" who ever even tried to take me to a sporting event.

Anyway I've managed to hold on to this bat for 30 years and yet I've never give a single poo poo about basesball.

hold onto it, you might need to brain someone to death with it have a magical moment in which you hit a world series home run with it

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I had a hat that a member of my hired work crew gave me down in Belize one day. I tend not to wear hats, even when I'm out doors in the sun all day so he probably thought I was an idiot and brought me one. It was a well worn, camo patterned baseball cap.

I was pretty touched, and basically ended up always wearing the hat whenever I was out on survey. I lost it a year or two later out by Jerome in AZ while helping monitor some heavy equipment. Winds blew it away.

I still miss that hat.

Same guy also roasted a gibnut and brought some to share. Super tasty.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I've kept the same 50 cent coin since I was a little kid.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Telsa Cola posted:

I had a hat that a member of my hired work crew gave me down in Belize one day. I tend not to wear hats, even when I'm out doors in the sun all day so he probably thought I was an idiot and brought me one. It was a well worn, camo patterned baseball cap.

I was pretty touched, and basically ended up always wearing the hat whenever I was out on survey. I lost it a year or two later out by Jerome in AZ while helping monitor some heavy equipment. Winds blew it away.

I still miss that hat.

Same guy also roasted a gibnut and brought some to share. Super tasty.

track down the hat. there is an adventure to be had here

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I'm upset about the Hong Kong hamster holocaust.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

bossy lady posted:

That's cool as gently caress. momentums are cool as gently caress.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

hold onto it, you might need to brain someone to death with it

I do keep it out near my bed for this reason as if I wouldn't just poo poo myself and die instead.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

When I was 12 and my family lived in Germany, I would bring a little sketchbook with me to keep entertained when my parents took us out to restaurants or bars after our Interesting Tourist Excursions. One day I saw a beer logo I kind of liked and started drawing it. it was this logo, in fact:

The waiter saw me doing this and for whatever reason the idea of a pre-teen American girl painstakingly copying this beer advertisement tickled him. So he gave us an entire 500 count tube of Sion Kölsch branded cardboard coasters.

I am now 35. I still have probably 300 of these coasters.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I was in Boston at my friend's local bar where they had the perfect glasses for sampling beers. For some reason I said I would like to buy one of these glasses. "We only have four. No can do," says the bartender, who then as a consolation gives me one of their shot glasses to keep for free. No logo or Paul Revere House etched on it. Just a plain shot glass. And in hindsight it's the best travel tchotchke I could ask for.

Most of mine are touristy ones you can pick up at hotels, etc but a bunch of them were kind of a fun challenge to find. EG:

- When I was working in Peoria, IL I asked where I could get a shot glass to commemorate my trip and was asked "why the hell anyone would want to remember visiting peoria". I found a shot glass at caterpillar employee store and snagged one.
- When I worked on the tar sands in Alberta, one of the roughnecks gave me a "canadian fast food" shot glass with a picture of little man running from a bear. I'm not sure where he got it or why he had it. Alcohol was banned on the oil camps.
- In Mexico City I went to a open market near Frida Kahlo's museum and bought a shot glass with a cute little agave plant in the center
- In Knoxville, TN the project I was on was overscoped so I had a ton of free time. Client recommended I do some sort of whiskey tour and I got a shot glass there.

They're good conversation pieces. I've made friends with a handful of transplants who find their hometown in my collection after we chat about the local interests there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Chernobyl Princess posted:

When I was 12 and my family lived in Germany, I would bring a little sketchbook with me to keep entertained when my parents took us out to restaurants or bars after our Interesting Tourist Excursions. One day I saw a beer logo I kind of liked and started drawing it. it was this logo, in fact:

The waiter saw me doing this and for whatever reason the idea of a pre-teen American girl painstakingly copying this beer advertisement tickled him. So he gave us an entire 500 count tube of Sion Kölsch branded cardboard coasters.

I am now 35. I still have probably 300 of these coasters.

You won a lifetime supply of bar coasters. That's an awesome souvenir.